Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marlborough Street Public Transport Priority Bridge

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Nip picking but is it just me or does the name plaque look dirty/old already?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Nip picking
    It does nit. :pac:

Perhaps that it was a dusk / night shot probably doesn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Victor wrote: »

308046.JPG

Why is there a gap in the traffic island, but no dish in the riverside kerb?
    Why no no-entry signs, just markings?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Victor wrote: »
    It does nit. :pac:

Perhaps that it was a dusk / night shot probably doesn't help.

Stupid phone !

Why no no-entry signs, just markings?
    They were still working on it on Tuesday evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

The new bridge looks well when viewed from O'Connell Bridge, and the lights frame the Custom House nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Those pictures look fantastic - maybe it was the dusk and lighting effect but it has turned out much better than I envisaged. Hopefully, it might be the catalyst to improve the overall Eden Quay/Burgh Quay area as it was a rather grotty area. There's a few vacant period buildings at the corner of Marlborough St and more along Eden Quay that are just crying out for TLC. If they were put to good public/commercial use, it would keep the momentum going.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

IMHO it looks much better in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭noelfirl

My main concern would be that they actually do the frigging upkeep on the lights this time. Last time I went down by Beckett bridge the vast majority of the underside ones were blown out. Not to mention the used to be perpetually half-on half-off James Joyce Bridge. And the underside of the Ha'penny bridge, has that been re-illuminated yet? We don't exactly have form here...

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

Quackster wrote: »
    There are plans for a two-way cycleway running along the north quays from the Point to Heuston so when that comes on stream, there will be left and right turns available from the north-bound cycle lane. Subject to the agreement of the newly-elected city council, construction of the cycleway could commence early next year.

Will this be segregated like the grand cycle route? Great if true

• Advertisement

grimbergen wrote: »
    Will this be segregated like the grand cycle route? Great if true
    Generally yes, but space is a bit tight in places, so there might be some sections of shared space with pedestrians.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Conway635

Watching this in operation on Saturday I noted a few problems with buses trying to exit the bridge, as traffic on Burgh Quay ignores the yellow box and queues solidly across it.

Looks like they are installing lights, but not in operation yet.

C635

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,660 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The traffic lights on Burgh Quay were working on Friday evening I could have sworn.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

MYOB wrote: »
    The traffic lights on Burgh Quay were working on Friday evening I could have sworn.

Working on Thursday IIRC

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Conway635

Ah, OK.

Weren't working around 1.30-2pm Saturday for some reason, and in particular the "straight across" buses to hawkins Street were having difficulty.

Good to see it is being used by Bus Eireann westbound services as well as the DB routes.

C635

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

Conway635 wrote: »
    traffic on Burgh Quay ignores the yellow box and queues solidly across it.

Where were the Gardai?

Guess other posters were right about this persisting after the bridge opened..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

Where were the Gardai?

Not enforcing the road traffic acts as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Lights certainly working today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I like the new bridge, it certainly has increased footfall on marlborough street. I have a few quibbles though. The bridge is not integrated into the adjoining streets. If I'm walking from Marlborough st to Hawkins st, I have to cross Eden quay on to the east side of the bridge(pedestrian facilities on the other side are only partially built). Then upon reaching the south end of the bridge, I can't cross straight away, I have to cross onto the west side of the bridge to complete a crossing.

On the up side there were plenty of decent folk enjoying the sun on the benches, not a junkie in sight.

• Advertisement
Advertisement