Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marlborough Street Public Transport Priority Bridge

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They're going to have to put the contraflow lane in or else there's going to be a fairly hefty amount of ignoring the no entry signs going on regardless I'd guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

monument wrote: »
    It's what was was approved by ABP.

Why would it not be safe?

It just seems like it is inviting incidents with cyclists turning right onto the bridge from the South and then again right onto the North Quays, both across the contra-flow lane. Are there other contra-flow cycle lanes in the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

If the cycle lane is what was approved, then omitting it could lead to enforcement action.

Surely leaving it out and painting those lines took more effort than just leaving it in.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

It just seems like it is inviting incidents with cyclists turning right onto the bridge from the South and then again right onto the North Quays, both across the contra-flow lane. Are there other contra-flow cycle lanes in the city?

Yes, about 10 of then, a mix of types and quality.

Contra-flow for cyclists is a norm across Europe even outside the Netherlands, in cities such as Paris and Berlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

MYOB wrote: »
    They're going to have to put the contraflow lane in or else there's going to be a fairly hefty amount of ignoring the no entry signs going on regardless I'd guess.

Quite. If you are not going to bother enforcing proper road behaviour then legalise it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

MYOB wrote: »

The only route I see where you need it and could use it legally is Tara to the bottom of Marlborough St. Maybe this is why they removed it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭AngryLips

There are. They're not widely used to my knowledge except for the one beside St Patrick's Park. I don't think I've ever seen anyone cycling against the flow of traffic on a one way bridge so this is a really unlikely scenario, it's just too dangerous compared to regular instances of people cycling against the flow of traffic ...which is normally limited by quieter streets where the flow of traffic is slower or less frequent.

I think I read somewhere that further cycle lanes are planned to feed into this one, maybe they're holding off opening this one until those provisions are in place?

AngryLips wrote: »
    There are. They're not widely used to my knowledge except for the one beside St Patrick's Park.

Even after it's revamp, the one at St Patrick's Park is used less than the two I used to regularly use on the northside.

...it's just too dangerous compared to regular instances of people cycling against the flow of traffic

With a lane I can't see how this would be the case.

But a kerb, bollards, or flex-bollards can be use if needed.

...which is normally limited by quieter streets where the flow of traffic is slower or less frequent.

This just is not true. Contra-flow cycling is included on high to very high volume streets in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,551 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

cgcsb wrote: »
    Out of curiosity what is the bus lane on the west side of the bridge for? What routes are going to cross the river and turn onto the south quays?

None at first, but taxis can use it.

Perhaps in time some routes may divert that way.

Marlborough Street is currently one way southbound, and as such bikes would only be allowed to turn right onto Eden Quay which would be rather pointless given they could only be coming from George's Quay/Tara Street. I suspect that the cycle lane will be instated when Marlborough Street becomes two way again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

lxflyer wrote: »
    I suspect that the cycle lane will be instated when Marlborough Street becomes two way again.
    Which will be never. Marlborough Street will be one lane when BXD is complete. And as the Luas crosses from one side of the road to the other, it won't be able to share roadspace with other southbound traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭AngryLips

This just is not true. Contra-flow cycling is included on high to very high volume streets in Dublin.

No, you misunderstand me, I meant cyclists cycling against traffic and in the absence of a contra flow lane is unusual except on low traffic and smaller streets and I've never seen it happen on a city bridge.

None at first, but taxis can use it.

Perhaps in time some routes may divert that way.

Dublin Bus has a graphic showing some routes that will use the north quays contra-flow bus lane as turning onto the south quays.

This should be using the bus lane on the left side of the bridge. The east side bus lane seems to be only for traffic going straight off the bridge and towards the Garda station.

Dublin Bus has a graphic showing some routes that will use the north quays contra-flow bus lane as turning onto the south quays.

This should be using the bus lane on the left side of the bridge. The east side bus lane seems to be only for traffic going straight off the bridge and towards the Garda station.

Apologies, my bad! I misread the question and I thought the question was asking about what routes will use the "with flow" bus lane on Eden Quay between O'Connell Bridge and the Rosie Hackett Bridge, which is none at the moment.

Routes 14, 27x, 33d, 33x and 142 which all stop on D'Olier Street will use the bus lane to turn right onto Burgh Quay.

Routes 15, 27 and 151 will continue straight onto Hawkins Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Apologies, my bad! I misread the question and I thought the question was asking about what routes will use the "with flow" bus lane on Eden Quay between O'Connell Bridge and the Rosie Hackett Bridge, which is none at the moment.

Routes 14, 27x, 33d, 33x and 142 which all stop on D'Olier Street will use the bus lane to turn right onto Burgh Quay.

Routes 15, 27 and 151 will continue straight onto Hawkins Street.

Thankyou. That does seem a little pointless, Hawkins street would give buses faster access through college green, surely all north south routes should just co straight through. If there were routes crossing the bridge and proceeding west on the south quays that might make more sense.

cgcsb wrote: »
    Thankyou. That does seem a little pointless, Hawkins street would give buses faster access through college green, surely all north south routes should just co straight through. If there were routes crossing the bridge and proceeding west on the south quays that might make more sense.

It is far from pointless.

Serving stop 336 in D'Olier Street means that both the 14 and 16 have one common stop in the city centre.

Both serve Ballinteer, which means that people travelling there have one city centre stop where they can have a choice of bus.

Routing the 14 via D'Olier Street also means that all three routes operating to Dundrum (14, 44 and 61) all serve the same stop too.

So as you can see it is a little bit of joined up thinking.

The other routes are peak time extras and it isn't so much of an issue.

In the future it is planned for the 27b and 79 to merge - I would expect that route to use the bridge as well. It will continue up the south quays.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Dublin City Council has explained on Twitter why there isn't a contra-flow cycle lane yet:
    Northbound cycle lane on #hellorosie hasn't been installed yet as it needs integration with the quay junctions.

I'm not sure what "integration with the quay junctions" means. A fancy way to say they need to install traffic lights for bikes, maybe?

That said, if Marlborough Street is becoming one way, the only available manoeuvre at the end of the contra lane is to turn right, and that's a manoeuvre that can be done earlier at Butt Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

NuMarvel wrote: »
    Dublin City Council has explained on Twitter why there isn't a contra-flow cycle lane yet:

I'm not sure what "integration with the quay junctions" means. A fancy way to say they need to install traffic lights for bikes, maybe?

That said, if Marlborough Street is becoming one way, the only available manoeuvre at the end of the contra lane is to turn right, and that's a manoeuvre that can be done earlier at Butt Bridge.

I was thinking as much that it would be included later. If the contraflow was to be left out altogether then surely they wouldn't have bothered to leave in the hatched area.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,474 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Did they rid the area temporarily of the junkies for the ceremony?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,262 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Did they rid the area temporarily of the junkies for the ceremony?
    Constructive posts only please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭stop

Didn't realise taxis will be using this bridge. It will be interesting to see Taxis trying to jump from the Clifton Court rank across Eden Quay to access the South Quays..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Jayzus, I did a degree in the time it took to build a 40 foot bridge.

So when is the linkup expected to be complete / up and running?

(I presume it wasn't deemed a good idea to be doing the rail either side of the bridge at the same time as the 3+ year construction to have a universal completion date and have it ready to go now?)

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

NuMarvel wrote: »

There are plans for a two-way cycleway running along the north quays from the Point to Heuston so when that comes on stream, there will be left and right turns available from the north-bound cycle lane. Subject to the agreement of the newly-elected city council, construction of the cycleway could commence early next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Jayzus, I did a degree in the time it took to build a 40 foot bridge.

So when is the linkup expected to be complete / up and running?

(I presume it wasn't deemed a good idea to be doing the rail either side of the bridge at the same time as the 3+ year construction to have a universal completion date and have it ready to go now?)

I think the bridge was designed and funded before it was 100% that Luas BXD was going ahead. The bridge was needed anyway for bus routes even if BXD had not been confirmed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Victor wrote: »

I agree, the bridge looks very well imo. Even better when a few Luas' are wizzing across it. I just wish they dressed up the rest of the quays as much as they have this new bridge. It looks a bit overkill / out of place with it being so lit up compared to the dark, dingey backdrop. Further down the quays towards Dublin bay there's plenty of mood lighting that makes the quays look great at night, but they should really do it the whole length to Phoenix Park.

Also, it's a shame the playhouse / liberty hall thing was so brief, always thought it added a lot to the quays and would look well as a backdrop to the new bridge.

playhouse.jpg

Bridge spotters

308039.JPG

308040.JPG

308041.JPG

308042.JPG

308043.JPG

308044.JPG

The first litter
    308045.JPG

308046.JPG

308047.JPG

308048.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Aemtler

Thanks for the photos Victor. I will have to head down there at some point and check it out live.

• Advertisement

308054.JPG

308055.JPG

Advertisement