Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marlborough Street Public Transport Priority Bridge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,551 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Some good news in connection with the new bridge. A contra flow bus lane is being installed on Custom House Quay in addition to reinstating the contra flow bus lane on Eden Quay. This will allow routes 14, 15, 27 and 151 and several other peak hour routes use the new bridge, while continuing to make the important stop at Connolly Station.
    Changes to Routing on Routes 14, 15, 27, 27x, 33, 33d, 142 and 151
    Friday, May 02, 2014
    Dublin Bus wishes to advise customers that due to the opening of the new Rosie Hackett Bridge there will be a new contraflow bus lane open on Custom House Quay and the Eden Quay contraflow bus lane will be reopened from Wednesday 21st May 2014.

Route changes will take place as follows,

Routes 14, 15, 27, 27x, 33x, 33d, 142 and 151 will turn right from Memorial Road onto Custom House Quay, continue onto Eden Quay, turn left onto Rosie Hackett Bridge and then continue on their current route. These routes will serve two new stops on Eden Quay, Routes 14, 15 and 142 will serve stop ED 301 and Routes 27, 27x, 33x, 33d and 151 will serve stop EE 302.

Routes 15 and 33d will no longer serve stop 4719 on George’s Quay and this stop will not be in use. Routes 14, 27, 27x, 33x, 142 and 151 will no longer serve stop AA 1502 on George’s Quay.

Please see map below to locate your stop using the corresponding code on the disc located on the top of the stop.

- See more at: http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/News-Centre/General-News/Changes-to-Routing-on-Routes-14-15-27-27x-33-33d-142-and-151/#sthash.c3HJxL0y.dpuf

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Will that allow the Aircoach 702 route to use it, and avoid the Macken St railway bridge?

Will that allow the Aircoach 702 route to use it, and avoid the Macken St railway bridge?

I doubt it - The 702 needs to operate via Macken Street Bridge and Cardiff Lane to serve the Grand Canal Dock stop on Cardiff Lane.

I can't see too many other bus routes using the Marlborough Street bridge for the moment, other than perhaps some Bus Eireann routes such as the 100X, 101X and 133 which would benefit from the contra-flow bus lanes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The 702 is a re-route of the Greystones bus to cover for the Ballsbridge route that was discontinued. By going over the Marlborough St bridge, they will avoid the work-around for the prohibited left turn onto Becket bridge, which will save them a few minutes, and avoid the low bridge in Macken St (another few minutes), and the left turn at the Grand Canal, where stupid motorist block them by driving through the stop line. Overall, it makes it better, because it reinstates most of the Ballsbridge route (going South). Going to the airport, they would continue as now - perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Anyone else think the light pole things they've installed look bad? They seem cheap, tacky and sterile to me. They really could have come up with a million better things to put there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

To facilitate the contra-flow bus lane on Custom House Quay, DCC are banning right hand turns from Custom House Quay onto Talbot Memorial Bridge from next Monday morning. Motorists wanting to go across the bridge will instead turn left onto Beresford Place and Memorial Road.

17975_54_pages_06_4747_588x448.jpg

The 702 is a re-route of the Greystones bus to cover for the Ballsbridge route that was discontinued. By going over the Marlborough St bridge, they will avoid the work-around for the prohibited left turn onto Becket bridge, which will save them a few minutes, and avoid the low bridge in Macken St (another few minutes), and the left turn at the Grand Canal, where stupid motorist block them by driving through the stop line. Overall, it makes it better, because it reinstates most of the Ballsbridge route (going South). Going to the airport, they would continue as now - perhaps.

I can't really see it happening - the new route serves new hotels around Grand Canal Dock and doesn't really miss any to be honest (except those at Merrion Square which are a short walk from the Leopardstown route).

lxflyer wrote: »
    I can't really see it happening - the new route serves new hotels around Grand Canal Dock and doesn't really miss any to be honest (except those at Merrion Square which are a short walk from the Leopardstown route).

Only the route from the airport would use it. There are three delays that would be eliminated and would save about 5 mins in total. I would think it well worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Anyone else think the light pole things they've installed look bad? They seem cheap, tacky and sterile to me. They really could have come up with a million better things to put there

Which is this now ?
    Can u describe

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭stop

123 could be routed down Marlborough following completion of luas works maybe? Though would be better going straight up Hawkins rather than right to get to D'Olier st scrum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Any new pictures of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

antoobrien wrote: »
    Any new pictures of this?

http://www.archiseek.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6703&sid=99023c0d5f769add478fe371279ea0f2&start=75#p118042

I quite like the lights tbh. Haven't seen them in person yet mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭bonerjams03

I quite like the lights tbh. Haven't seen them in person yet mind.

They are very impressive after dark, I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

After an opening ceremony on Tuesday afternoon, the bridge will be finally open to the public from next Wednesday morning.
    A special ceremony will be held to mark the opening of the 21st bridge to cross the capital's main waterway on May 20, and it will be open to the public the following morning.

"The Rosie Hackett Bridge is being officially opened on May 20. There will be a ribbon cutting, a band – you name it. It will be opening to the public on May 21, and you will have buses, pedestrians, cyclists and taxis. It will be open to public transport but it won't be open for cars," the spokesperson said.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/landmark-liffey-bridge-ready-for-grand-opening-30276163.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

Gotta love how in the last picture, all the private cars are blatantly ignoring the yellow box.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Let's see them try it when there's a tram coming!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Aard wrote: »
    Let's see them try it when there's a tram coming!

Happens all the time on the red line!

Red light cameras needed on all of the larger Luas junctions and looking at closing off some of the minor ones to cars would be a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

monument wrote: »
    Happens all the time on the red line!

Red light cameras needed on all of the larger Luas junctions and looking at closing off some of the minor ones to cars would be a good idea.

And yellow box cameras, necessary with some of the driving in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

monument wrote: »

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/new-cameras-to-catch-motorists-breaking-red-lights-at-luas-lines-1.1769228

These are on the way.

donvito99 wrote: »

No detail announced and that article includes less detail even about the trial than an article two years ago or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭crushproof

Jeez the lights on the bridge are hidious.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,262 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

Isn't the picture in the Facebook post a render?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Based on the lack of the patches done to the road on both quays since the surface was laid, and the extreme fuzziness of the pink/red pavement, I think it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Is there room for an unofficial taxi rank on it?

Also, how is Lefroy House affected, I wonder? I wonder will it's (temporary) residents get much sleep due to the lights? Likewise with 8 burghs quay, as the light doesn't seem to just point down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Is it a bridge or a spaceship?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I don't necessarily think a contra-flow cycle lane is a good/safe idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Out of curiosity what is the bus lane on the west side of the bridge for? What routes are going to cross the river and turn onto the south quays?

• Advertisement

I don't necessarily think a contra-flow cycle lane is a good/safe idea.

It's what was was approved by ABP.

Why would it not be safe?

Advertisement