Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vu+ duo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Wiggy

spuncy wrote: »
    It worked.

Well done mate! Very encouraging for any of us who may run into the same issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭clancger

Wiggy wrote: »

Well done mate! Very encouraging for any of us who may run into the same issue.[/Quote

Good job!! Any chance of posting the instructions link or photos?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 spuncy

It was a little easier than I expected. I didn't have a lot of time to look at youtube videos on how to solder, so just got stuck in. Here's what I did, however anyone who does this type of thing regularly will probably gasp in horror at some things!

I unscrewed the case, removed the hard drive and screws around the main circuit board, as well as the front panel (has to be unclipped). Also took out any power cables from the PSU board or other cables from the front panel etc.

You have to unscrew some of the I/O ports at the back so you can take off the main board.

Then, I just heated up the iron (I didn't wait long enough so it wasn't hot enough initially) and touched it against the back of the board where the capacitor legs were soldered in. The heat loosens it and you need to wiggle the old capacitor one leg at a time and it comes out.

Then get the new capacitor and put the legs straight through. WARNING: make sure to put it in the right way, with the stripe on the capacitor lined up with the stripe on the circuit board (i.e. so the negative terminal is in the right hole). I did not do this as I completely forgot, but just before I plugged it in later, I checked and I had flukily put it the right way.

Use the iron to seal the capacitor legs in - kept making a hames of this - and let it cool a little. Once it's solid, trim back the legs that are sticking through.

Reassemble it all back together and turn it on.

There are lots of threads in other forums about 'vu duo red light problem'. The main one I referenced was this one:

http://www.vuplus-community.net/board/threads/vu-duo-is-dead.3616/page-3

There are pictures there to show you which capacitor you need to replace.

Any questions, let me know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭ouncer

out of interest is the duo a clone or the real thing. did buy an authentic box 3 years ago and has run flawlessly since i got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 spuncy

it was a genuine box from ielectroniks.. apart from random reboots, probably due to the nova-t usb stick and some unstable versions of vix over the years, it's been perfect.

it is in a cabinet under my tv with less than optimum airflow, so i suspect overheating may be the root cause.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Anyone tried this out yet ? I'd be interested to hear opinions on the benefits if any ?

JonnyM wrote: »

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭ouncer

while i do have an original vu duo and would only use the vix image i have a couple of friends with duo clones. personally i always loved the blackhole image but vix has extended that to a new level. so my question is would this blackhole image run on a clone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

ouncer wrote: »
    while i do have an original vu duo and would only use the vix image i have a couple of friends with duo clones. personally i always loved the blackhole image but vix has extended that to a new level. so my question is would this blackhole image run on a clone

No. Unless you have a V3 chip with the IC security update applied you must use the V2 image of Blackhole 2.0.0 which isn't out yet.

However you can use v2 images of the previous latest images (clone safe - gunthered by Toysoft)

V2 of Blackhole 1.79 could be loaded or openvix-3.0.558 for V2 . All on the Ferrari forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

STB wrote: »
    No. Unless you have a V3 chip with the IC security update applied you must use the V2 image of Blackhole 2.0.0 which isn't out yet.

However you can use v2 images of the previous latest images (clone safe - gunthered by Toysoft)

V2 of Blackhole 1.79 could be loaded or openvix-3.0.558 for V2 . All on the Ferrari forum.

see my post above

• Advertisement

JonnyM wrote: »
    see my post above

Read my response again and the question I was answering. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭irishgeo

over the past week the vu duo started turning the tv and surrond sound on in the middle of the night any ideas?

nothing changed lately, the tv guides stopped downloading though. I am using vix?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

Guys anyone know if it is possible to have my terrestrial Irish stations shown in the same Bouquets as my satellite channels? I have a usb tuner and satellite, but it's a lot of clicks to switch provider in the BlackHole menus.

Just wondering if and how I could get those Irish DVB-T channels as a new bouquet alongside my sat ones? I'm using SGTFlipFlop bouquets. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

Thats no problem.
    You can either do it by finding and highlighting the channel you want...Press menu button and choose add service to bouquet and select the Satellite bouquet you want to add it to. Do same for all other channels and use enable move to put them into position.

Or use dreamset or dreamboxedit and down load and sort there..

fbradyirl wrote: »
    Guys anyone know if it is possible to have my terrestrial Irish stations shown in the same Bouquets as my satellite channels? I have a usb tuner and satellite, but it's a lot of clicks to switch provider in the BlackHole menus.

Just wondering if and how I could get those Irish DVB-T channels as a new bouquet alongside my sat ones? I'm using SGTFlipFlop bouquets. Thanks!

...... whilst in the channel list itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

Sorted thanks a million. Works great on BH v2.0.1.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭irishgeo

how do plugins get updated. say i have rte player 0.7.6 and version 0.8 comes out how does the box know its been updated?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

irishgeo wrote: »
    how do plugins get updated. say i have rte player 0.7.6 and version 0.8 comes out how does the box know its been updated?

I think you have to manually update.

Tony wrote: »
    Anyone tried this out yet ? I'd be interested to hear opinions on the benefits if any ?

Well Project Valerie finally works for me on the Uno!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Glad to hear it!
    Its the one must-have plug in for me on my box.
    And I'm happy to say I've even contributed a couple of lines of code for a fix a few months back and many hours of testing to the plug in as a whole :)
    Not that my code did much that couldn't be fixed by altering a menu setting! haha
    But that said Erik and the rest of the PV team are a great bunch of lads and always quick to help.
    Their googlecode page is well worth a visit http://code.google.com/p/project-valerie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

Ordering a new SOLO2 for My Bro.
    Just wondering where guys are finding the best price for legit SOLO2. (Bricks and Mortar).

Looked on WOS and price is OK but £20 delivery is mad when its free to NI.
    Was going to use Parcel Motel, anyone use them for something like that ?

Ive used them 3-4 times and to TBH I find them quicker than shipping direct and cheaper too. But its all been low value items.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rurs

A friend of mine got a Gigablue HD800 from WOS via Parcel Motel, no problem. The only worry I'd have is making sure the PM ID gets put on the address label. Check Parcel Motels insurance cover if you're worried, see if it's worth the minor risk of the package going missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,582 ✭✭✭Zardoz

dfdream wrote: »
    Ordering a new SOLO2 for My Bro.
    Just wondering where guys are finding the best price for legit SOLO2. (Bricks and Mortar).

Looked on WOS and price is OK but £20 delivery is mad when its free to NI.
    Was going to use Parcel Motel, anyone use them for something like that ?

Ive used them 3-4 times and to TBH I find them quicker than shipping direct and cheaper too. But its all been low value items.
    German retailers are probably the cheapest.
    You can get it here for 327 euro delivered
    http://www.smartcard24.com/vu+-solo-ii-full-hd-1080p-twin-linux-receiver-pvr-a14607.html
    Use code UT8HR to get 5% off .

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Greenpiece

Well done. I tried a couple of time on my duo buy only ended up with GSOD each time. Is there a specific version that will work with Duo. I am using latest Vix image.

Greenpiece wrote: »
    Well done. I tried a couple of time on my duo buy only ended up with GSOD each time. Is there a specific version that will work with Duo. I am using latest Vix image.
    No more green screens.

Black Hole Vu+ Duo v.2.0.1 OE 2

and Project-Valerie

Stick the image from the zip file on a USB and flash it. Then run the IPK from the /tmp directory. Reboot.

The other thing I meant to mention. It recognises the DVB-T stick straight off!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Which DVB-T stick would ye recommend?

yabadabado wrote: »
    Which DVB-T stick would ye recommend?

I use the one at the top of this post

It comes with a simple indoor aerial but you can pick up an RF Coaxial to MCX cable for about €2 on ebay to connect it to your house aerial.

Greenpiece wrote: »

Well if Project Valerie isnt enough to entice you over to Blackhole, then OE-Alliance OnDemand Plugin ( BETA)BBC Player and ITV player working in Ireland will be.

BBC Player, ITV Player, RTE Player and Tv3 player ALL working with Irish IP addresses and stable! The plugin is in the addon feeds on the Blackhole OE2.0.1. image.

243130.jpg

243131.jpg

243132.jpg

243133.jpg

Also Matrix's MX HD2 Skin is nice (last image I promise).
    243136.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭fguinan

Well if Project Valerie isnt enough to entice you over to Blackhole, then OE-Alliance OnDemand Plugin ( BETA)BBC Player and ITV player working in Ireland will be.

OnDemand is working on Vix 3.0. Is there anyway to get the the vix epg on blackhole?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Greenpiece

No more green screens.

Black Hole Vu+ Duo v.2.0.1 OE 2

and Project-Valerie

Stick the image from the zip file on a USB and flash it. Then run the IPK from the /tmp directory. Reboot.

The other thing I meant to mention. It recognises the DVB-T stick straight off!

Thanks for the links, I will give it a go

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement