Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vu+ duo

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Hi guys,

I'm on Black Hole image and was wondering if anyone know what dvb-t usb stick works best with Vu+ Duo? Thanks in advance.

I have a VU+Uno but its the same scenario/setup.

DVB-T stick €7 (incl postage) EBAY.

It is based on the Alpha 9135 Chipset and look like this (in case you can find it cheaper, I doubt it though :)).
    440046281_238.jpg

The drivers are already on BH 1.75 and above, but you will need to FTP the the latest firmware file to FW folder on the box (I have it and can mail it to you/upload it here with instructions).

Also the aerial that come with those USB stick is not great (but usable) but there is an MCX to RF Coaxial cable (about €1.80 incl post on ebay from the same ebayer) which will allow you connect your normal aerial to it.

234280.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

is there a way to view the tv epg while listening to a radio channel?

on vix

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Greenpiece

Where is the best place online to get one of these, for price, support or if it needs returning?

This is where I got mine

http://www.dmm-tv.com/vuplus/

I was there recently and could not resist, not sure if they ship from there to Ireland.

Greenpiece wrote: »
    This is where I got mine

http://www.dmm-tv.com/vuplus/

I was there recently and could not resist, not sure if they ship from there to Ireland.

Some bargains to be had if you are in that country!

Some interesting news just doing the rounds for those with clones. Apparently, the security chip on the VU+ range is on the tuner boards which is a surprise to me.

So for Clone owners of say the Cloned Uno, you could replace the tuner module with the new original twin tuner module and there is nothing to distinguish your box from an original (besides you own head) and you now have a twin tuner. Takes the latest images.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Ninjakettle

STB wrote: »
    So for Clone owners of say the Cloned Uno, you could replace the tuner module with the new original twin tuner module and there is nothing to distinguish your box from an original (besides you own head) and you now have a twin tuner. Takes the latest images.....

with the caveat that the clone is potentially of inferior build quality? - or are they essentially being assembled in the same factory using the same components?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Andy454

Question, if I use my legitimate sky card in a vu+ reciever, will the recordings be encrypted or in the clear?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Andy454 wrote: »
    Question, if I use my legitimate sky card in a vu+ reciever, will the recordings be encrypted or in the clear?

In the clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Some interesting news just doing the rounds for those with clones. Apparently, the security chip on the VU+ range is on the tuner boards which is a surprise to me.

care to explain more via pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

Lads Ive noticed for the last few days that I have little glitches viewing on RTE2 HD on satellite on my Duo.
    Its fine viewing on RTE2 on DTT.

I also noticed it on a few RTE 2 HD recordings from this week. (Greys, Revenge etc) and didnt make any connection with it being all the one channel.

Was watching the match today and every few minutes it would give a glitch.

Havent seen it on any other channel and its not a card issue.

Anyone...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

There were a few people in the the match thread in the Rugby forum today complaining about RTÉ2 HD on Sky freezing a lot as well

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

There's also a thread on the main Satellite forum complaining of same.

That was me...

When I realised it wasnt an issue with DUO I thought that would be a better thread for it...

byte wrote: »
    There's also a thread on the main Satellite forum complaining of same.

I have rytec epg on my DUO and regularly the EGP only shows 2-3 days.

Like today I have irish epgs upto Wednesday night and all other channels are way longer.

Willy over in Rytec says he has upto Friday night for RTE etc.

Can anyone else confirm how far their epg goes today using Rytec sources.

Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭irishgeo

where is the location epg.dat , i need to delete mine it crashing my box when it updates

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Wiggy

dfdream wrote: »

Can anyone else confirm how far their epg goes today using Rytec sources.

Ta

I don't bother with Rytec.

I download the EPG data from the satellite, and get the Irish channel EPG from the terrestrial transmission.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

irishgeo wrote: »
    where is the location epg.dat , i need to delete mine it crashing my box when it updates

its in the root of the hdd, had to do the same for mine last saturday.

Didn't really know what the issue was, so ripped out the hd did an fsck, and emptied out the crossepg folder as well

after I re-updated the epg, the epg.dat wasnt recreated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭ouncer

installed icefilms on my duo but playback of the streams is awful choppy. anybody any idea how to correct. am running vix 595 which is a very recent version but streaming from tinternet seems to be an issue. is it codec related>

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭SalteeDog

ouncer wrote: »
    installed icefilms on my duo but playback of the streams is awful choppy. anybody any idea how to correct. am running vix 595 which is a very recent version but streaming from tinternet seems to be an issue. is it codec related>

Is it choppy when you go direct to the site on your laptop too? It is on mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

Looking to put Icefilms on my duo, can anyone point me in the right direction please??

I have blackhole image running

• Advertisement

irishgeo wrote: »

There are a number of EPG settings in BH. One in Crossepg settings. Make sure this is not set to internal flash and rather your USB stick.

You may also need to configure to read from the mounted USB rather than the flash. Dont store the epg data on the internal flash.

If you are using BH, thats blue, red, red.

Make sure its not /autofs/sda1/epg.dat.

Make sure its media/usb/epg.dat. Red to save.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

There are a number of EPG settings in BH. One in Crossepg settings. Make sure this is not set to internal flash and rather your USB stick.

You may also need to configure to read from the mounted USB rather than the flash. Dont store the epg data on the internal flash.

If you are using BH, thats blue, red, red.

Make sure its not /autofs/sda1/epg.dat.

Make sure its media/usb/epg.dat. Red to save.
    Im on BH and use crossepg I have found it the best.I have it set to update everyday at 5am.Works well for me.
    One thing I have noticed is that the set up as changed to internal flash a few times ,I have it set to a usb stick but for some reason it has switched to the internal flash.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Im on BH and use crossepg I have found it the best.I have it set to update everyday at 5am.Works well for me.
    One thing I have noticed is that the set up as changed to internal flash a few times ,I have it set to a usb stick but for some reason it has switched to the internal flash.

Yes I have noticed this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

Yes I have noticed this too.

same here and sometimes whatever i do it wont let me change it either

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

new official vu+ images out.... :)
    If you want to use official Vu+ Open Source Image Vu+ has just released a new version.

There are now 2.1 Images for:

Vu+ Duo
    Vu+ Solo
    Vu+ Uno
    Vu+ Ultimo
    Vu+ Solo2
    http://linux-tv.com/new-official-images-2-1-open-source-for-all-models-of-vu/

• Registered Users Posts: 44 spuncy

After just over 2 years, my Vu Duo has packed it in.

Two minutes before the Ireland-England game, it started constantly rebooting itself (just as Michael D appeared, strangely enough!). It eventually came back but went for good yesterday.

Now, only the red standby light appears when it is powered on with no other activity. From reading other forums, this may be fixed by replacing a capacitor on the board, so going to try that next. Otherwise could be the PSU itself or corrupt flash (no luck reflashing by USB, but haven't tried via modem cable).

Anyone else have this issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭clancger

Something similar happened me before Christmas, and no matter what I did I couldnt reflash.
    It turned out the usb stick at the back where I had the epg stored was preventing me from reflashing from the front usb port. Once I removed the one at the back I was back in business.

Thanks clancger, I had removed all connections (USB, HDMI and internal hard drive) and attempted to boot up and reflash, but no luck.

I thought it was the Nova-T USB initially. Then I thought it was the USB flash drive I use for EPG, but now I'm thinking it's the PSU, the capacitor in question being the first thing to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,740 ✭✭✭✭listermint

spuncy wrote: »
    Thanks clancger, I had removed all connections (USB, HDMI and internal hard drive) and attempted to boot up and reflash, but no luck.

I thought it was the Nova-T USB initially. Then I thought it was the USB flash drive I use for EPG, but now I'm thinking it's the PSU, the capacitor in question being the first thing to try.

hmm, if it was PSU then you shouldnt really be seeing any standby light at all.

Either way best of luck.

• Advertisement

It worked.

I picked up a couple of the capacitors in Peats (3 for 50c!) and stripped the machine when I got home. Never did soldering before, so thought I wrecked the board!

Once the new capacitor went in (same values as the old one), I rigged it up and plugged it in. The red light came on first and after a second, the LCD showed "Starting..". Couldn't believe it.

Anyway, all back working again for the past couple of hours. Hopefully that'll be it for a while.

Added bonus: it's way faster at coming out of standby. No idea why.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement