Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vu+ duo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭dougm1970

questions and advice needed really.....thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

first i should point out that i got the box (vu+ duo clone with vix 3) last weekend and am still not familiar with it as i havent had a chance to play too much with it.

i put i the last posts about the laggy remote i got with it...the seller of the box couldnt have been more helpful (a trustworthy seller) and without me asking he insisted on sending another new box which he would test beforehand....i got the new box today and the remote is still laggy (new box, new remote), my neighbour got a box from same batch and it is perfect....i dont want to bother the seller any more because i think it could be something not right with my set up.
    i have removed the flash drive and hard drive, no difference....i have changed to another tv set, no difference...i have changed different settings on the input device on the image menu, no difference.....what else could it be ??.......to explain, sometimes i could press a button on the remote and the indication light will flash but channel wont change...it might do on the third press....very seldom i could press 'down' in a menu and it'll jump up an entry in the menu....half the time its fine......then sometimes i could press a button on the remote and nothing, no indication light, happens on the box....sometimes i press a remote button once and the indication light flashes twice quickly...just erratic really........i have changed the remote batteries twice for new ones, and i made sure the plastic film has been taken off the front of the box.
    and...the remote app on the phone works perfect and all menus fine and not laggy at all, very fast.

hard to explain my next question....when changing channels, if i get to the last channel in the sport section (say boxnation) if i press next channel it goes to the first channel in the next section (movies.....sky premiere hd) thats fine...no problem.......but..while on sky premiere hd if i press back it goes to the last channel in the movie section instead of going back to boxnation....is there a setting in vix to change that ??

the ondemand plugin works great....but the rte section doesnt work and freezes the box for a good few minutes.....is the rte section of it not working at the moment ??

thats it....for the moment :)

again...thanks to anyone who replies

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

Did you ask the seller if he sees the issue you described with the one you sent back..
    There isnt electrical interference that is causing the issue (wifi box, other equipment like games console....

TBH...Im a bit surprised that he replaced the box so quickly for you.. A seller of original boxes would hardly do that.. Is it an issue he is aware of ???
    dougm1970 wrote: »
    questions and advice needed really.....thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

first i should point out that i got the box (vu+ duo clone with vix 3) last weekend and am still not familiar with it as i havent had a chance to play too much with it.

i put i the last posts about the laggy remote i got with it...the seller of the box couldnt have been more helpful (a trustworthy seller) and without me asking he insisted on sending another new box which he would test beforehand....i got the new box today and the remote is still laggy (new box, new remote), my neighbour got a box from same batch and it is perfect....i dont want to bother the seller any more because i think it could be something not right with my set up.
    i have removed the flash drive and hard drive, no difference....i have changed to another tv set, no difference...i have changed different settings on the input device on the image menu, no difference.....what else could it be ??.......to explain, sometimes i could press a button on the remote and the indication light will flash but channel wont change...it might do on the third press....very seldom i could press 'down' in a menu and it'll jump up an entry in the menu....half the time its fine......then sometimes i could press a button on the remote and nothing, no indication light, happens on the box....sometimes i press a remote button once and the indication light flashes twice quickly...just erratic really........i have changed the remote batteries twice for new ones, and i made sure the plastic film has been taken off the front of the box.
    and...the remote app on the phone works perfect and all menus fine and not laggy at all, very fast.

hard to explain my next question....when changing channels, if i get to the last channel in the sport section (say boxnation) if i press next channel it goes to the first channel in the next section (movies.....sky premiere hd) thats fine...no problem.......but..while on sky premiere hd if i press back it goes to the last channel in the movie section instead of going back to boxnation....is there a setting in vix to change that ??

the ondemand plugin works great....but the rte section doesnt work and freezes the box for a good few minutes.....is the rte section of it not working at the moment ??

thats it....for the moment :)

again...thanks to anyone who replies

well....i should point out i know the seller and have dealt with him a lot in the past, so we are friendly...he's genuinely sound...and he said he would test this box for two days before sending which i am sure he did.
    i understand what you are saying, and normally i would agree, but this seller is very sound.

the original box is still here...he has organised for a courier to collect and they may come today.

its not an issue he is aware of either, but he said there was an issue with the front panels 'dropping' inside during transit and he told me how to check that.

what does hdmi-cec do on the menus?....i think i picked up on a forum that it allows control of the tv too, that right ??....could there be a setting there i could change ?

does the rte player plugin not work any more ??....the bbc, itv etc players work a treat.

thanks for the reply btw.

from another forum reply i got....they asked if i had a plasma tv, which i have, an older samsung 42"....they said that older generation plasma tv's effect some ir sensors, that its a known issue.
    wow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭ouncer

this was posted on another forum. it does seem the remote is the issue so take it apart and have a look

'The remote that came with my clone is very directional in that it has to be pointing directly at the box else the button presses don't always register. Thought it might be the IR sensor in the box so had the front panel off to take a look but then realised that my Harmony remote makes the box respond no matter where in the room I point it.

Is what I'm seeing normal behaviour for a clone remote or is the remote I have a duffer? I have had the remote apart to check is the IR transmitter is mounted and pointing forward which it is.

Whilst I had the remote apart I discovered the reason why the central keyboard on the remote also needed a good firm press, they've skimped on screws around the pad in the remote. There are 4 holes for 4 mini screws to hold the circuit board in place but my remote only had 2 of these screws in place so when you press the keypad button the circuit board would flex. Found a couple of screws and put them in and the pad now behaves itself.'

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

HDMI-CEC allows signals to be sent back to the TV, so the HDMI isn't just a 1 way flow of information, I had it enabled on my SOLO2 and it messed with my Sony LCD in the bedroom, it was like the volume down button was constantly down, I turned it off and rebooted the box, no problem.

I've an old Samsung Plasma and I've no problem with the remote on my VU boxes.

there's loads of threads on av forums about the ir sensor / plasma tv issue (well, some plasma tv's).....i knew nothing

i put a piece of normal printer paper over the remote sensor on the vu+ (as suggested on another forum) and it improved it...it was sound then, kinda......apart, and this is typical of me to have another issue, the range / distance of the remote was shortened...sitting on the last seat on the sofa (furtherest away from telly) where it would work before, it didnt then...you need to be closer......although, when in range 6-8 feet, the lagging was gone with the paper over the sensor...amazing

then (as someone else suggested) i found a little bit of a lens from an old pair of sunglasses worked best....remote seems fine now.

thanks a million for the replies

btw...on the rte player plugin..does it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭cgc5483

Need some help. Can no longer see my vuduo in windows explorer after I upgraded to a newer build of Vix3.0. I've enable Samba setup and it appears to be running but the Vu is not visible on my network. Need to get this working as streaming from my Vix to a Raspberry Pi running RASPBMC and this no longers works as it can't see the Vuduo either. Any help appreciated.

can you ftp into it with dreambox control ?

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭cgc5483

dougm1970 wrote: »
    can you ftp into it with dreambox control ?

Yeah can ftp to it and get into webconfig. Never used dreambox control

• Advertisement

i have the plugin 'newtubeplayer' on vix 3 (632) on a vu+ duo clone.

when i try and play a video i get a message about a vlc server urlopen error - 146 connection refused

i have vlc installed too but is there some way i should have it configured.....or is this just a bad plugin ??

if so...is there any other youtube plugin for that image ??

thanks.

next question :)

i have cross epg, but have no options menu to make sure its being stored on usb flash drive.....it came pre-installed on the box (vu+ duo...latest vix)
    my issue is that when it updates it populates for maybe a day and a half only.....whereas on my dreambox 800 upstairs it populates for the week.

when i click 'menu' when in the plugin i dont see options for storing on usb.

scrub that....sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

Does anyone notice that sometimes you get no picture on the DVB-T (Irish Soarview) channels and a message saying something like 'No data or signal found on...'?

It happens me every few days, and I fix it by doing a re-scan or rebooting the box. I'm running the latest version of Black Hole 2.

DVB-T always has been the bane of the VU boxes...
    Many will tell you it doesnt affect them but if you search through this thread you will see several with the same issue.
    I have duo 3 years and tried 4 different sticks and different images.
    To no avail.
    The only way I got to sort it was to stop using the DVB-T alltogether.
    I missed so many recordings with bloody DVB-t USB sticks...
    Avoid the frustration and stop using it...
    fbradyirl wrote: »
    Does anyone notice that sometimes you get no picture on the DVB-T (Irish Soarview) channels and a message saying something like 'No data or signal found on...'?

It happens me every few days, and I fix it by doing a re-scan or rebooting the box. I'm running the latest version of Black Hole 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Since BH 2.0 I've had no problem at at all with DVB T stick

dfdream wrote: »
    DVB-T always has been the bane of the VU boxes...
    Many will tell you it doesnt affect them but if you search through this thread you will see several with the same issue.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Not surprised really....
    It always has been hit and miss..
    For me its been more miss than hit...

Ive been given out too many times for Greys Anatomy not being recorded on Soarview...
    Tony wrote: »
    Since BH 2.0 I've had no problem at at all with DVB T stick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Can anyone recommend a quiet hard drive for the vu+?

I'm thinking of replacing my 3.5" 500GB with a quieter 2.5" 1TB drive. The one I have in it a bit too noisey in the bedroom when recording at night.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The quietest you're going to get is a SSD but they are quiet expensive and (I think) don't go above 512Gb yet.

As all hard drives have moving parts you are going to get some noise of them, a 2.5" is quieter (not as much movement), think of a desktop and laptop next to each other (minus the noisey desktop fan of course). I think the quietest hard drives are the "Green" ranges of drives. I've a Solo2 in my bedroom with a normal 2.5" drive in it and I've set recordings in the middle of the night (by mistake) and it didn't bother me, my wife or our 5 month old baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rurs

recyclebin wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a quiet hard drive for the vu+?

I'm thinking of replacing my 3.5" 500GB with a quieter 2.5" 1TB drive. The one I have in it a bit too noisey in the bedroom when recording at night.

Amazon informs me I bought a Samsung HD103Si in May 2011, it been running perfectly ever since. 5400rpm is more than enough for AV use, and means it's quieter too. I'm not sure that a 2.5" drive is necessarily any quieter than a 3.5" one?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

fbradyirl wrote: »

No.

This sounds to me like a signal issue.

What type of aerial are you using ? An internal or a cable connected to a RF to MCX cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

Is there any physical or any noticeable difference between the Vu duo and its clone?

Sorry if its been done before

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

JonnyM wrote: »
    Is there any physical or any noticeable difference between the Vu duo and its clone?

Sorry if its been done before

the official website has the details.

http://vuplus.com/pressNewsContent.htm?idx=37&pagenum=2

Wasn't sure what thread to put this in as it's relating to any Enigma2 box :)

I've a Logitech G19 Gaming Keyboard, it has a LCD display on it for gaming updates, I used this plugin and I was able to output VLC Player to it, this means I can stream from my VU+ boxes to my keyboard while playing video games. I don't think I'll ever use this functionality ever again btw :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

Can anyone explain in simple terms how to connect a NAS to my vu duo. I have tried different ways and I just can not get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Can anyone explain in simple terms how to connect a NAS to my vu duo. I have tried different ways and I just can not get it.

If you list what you have tried already, along with what particular image you are using folks could give you better advice.
    But assuming its the VIX image, usually its just a matter of going Menu>Setup>System>Network>Mounts Setup>Network Browser, than scanning your network and selecting and mounting your NAS as a cifs share.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

Thanks banie01, I was not doing the Cifs, i just could not figure that.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Greenpiece

New image Black Hole Vu+ 2.0.3 Hyperspace

Has anybody tried this on Vu+ Duo?

I might try it on the Ultimo tomorrow, my TV has been acting up a bit recently, I want to make sure it's the TV before buying a new 1 :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭micks_address

hi guys -

quick question re rf distribution to multiple rooms in the house from a duo.. i'm using an RF modulator and a powermid ir transtmiter to change channels.. i know i could also use say a triax trilink but if i had say three rooms i wants to distribute to - is there any scalable solution for changing channels? i know you could use an app like dreamdroid on your phone to change the channels but for folks who havent joined the smartphone generation yet?

Cheers,
    Mick

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement