Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much are you guys into fashion?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

JayReale wrote: »
    Ted Baker have started producing a style of jeans specifically for the Irish market?!? I'd have my doubts.

Me too, but she seemed convinced

• Registered Users Posts: 24,171 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Presumably it's a line that simply wasn't discontinued here when it was elsewhere?

Anyway, I'd take boot-cut over something that reduces my fertility. Cannot understand why a man would want to emasculate himself in tight jeans.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I think skinny jeans look great, and always have. I can't wear them due to having big thighs from the gym, so I wear straight fitting ones.
    This is interesting read

http://www.guardian.co.uk/fashion/2013/jan/09/skinny-jeans-fashion-trend-refuses-to-die

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

You would need to be fairly fit to wear them. I don't think a bulging stomach over the top would be a great look.

Also you would preferably be a castrato.

The way I'd see it would be:

Skinny jeans were designed for showing off a woman's shapely derriere.
    Gay men adopted the fashion to highlight their rear-ends to other gay guys.
    Because gay men are generally more fashion concious than straight guys, the fashion victims started copying the gay guys "because they've got better fashion sense" and we ended up with a generation of young men slowly castrating themselves.

A friend of mine had a good expression: skinny jeans are like a cheap hotel. There's no ballroom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

My thoughts on skinny jeans are summed up by the lyrics from a song by Chamillionaire, "Swagga Like Koop":
    Tried to put on skinny jeans and couldn't zip my zip.
    Nah, let me be blunt real quick.
    I don't wear skinny jeans cause my dick don't fit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭irish son

I haven't bought a pair of boot cut jeans in 2-3 years, I still have a few but I wouldn't even think of wearing them on a night out. There are degrees of skinny jeans, I wouldn't wear the very skinny legged ones as my hips and thighs are to big but I find the slim and straight legged jeans make my legs look slimmer than boot cut would.

My biggest problem with buying clothes is tops, I find t-shirts and jumpers have to be a very precise fit on me to look good, tight but don't look like their to small for me, I hate loose ones. Im at a size of between normal and a little overweight so I feel what I wear makes a big difference. I haven't bought a shirt in years as I can't get one that looks anyway decent on me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Ryu Hayabusa

I don't follow fashion,

I just wear full tracksuits 24/7 :)

I can see a difference in male fashion between Ireland and London, skinny jeans, red shoes, low cut top, rosary beads etc

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

Sleepy wrote: »

Because gay men are generally more fashion concious than straight guys, the fashion victims started copying the gay guys "because they've got better fashion sense" and we ended up with a generation of young men slowly castrating themselves.

A friend of mine had a good expression: skinny jeans are like a cheap hotel. There's no ballroom.

I would see it this way if I couldn't see past the last 5 years. It's simple not true that gay guys started the trend of wearing skinny jeans. What about David Bowie? Mick Jagger, Iggy Pop?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    I remember I could spot people in Australia being Irish from the jeans they're wearing. They'are awful looking things in my opinion! Stop wearing them!

And of course Australians themselves are renowned for their sartorial elegance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

lol what?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Let me put my fashion this way:
    If I could get away with walking around in a jute sack I would :D
    Now I do the minimum to not look out of place.

mal1 wrote: »
    I would see it this way if I couldn't see past the last 5 years. It's simple not true that gay guys started the trend of wearing skinny jeans. What about David Bowie? Mick Jagger, Iggy Pop?
    Maybe it's just me but I don't look to androgynous junkies for fashion (which all of the above were when they were doing the skinny jeans thing).

Maybe it's just me but I don't look to androgynous junkies for fashion (which all of the above were when they were doing the skinny jeans thing).

What? I'm not saying you should, I don't care what you look to. To make it clearer, I'm just saying that your history of the origin of skinny jeans is basically backward, ignorant and immature.

It's backward and immature to figure that risking damage to the defining part of one's masculinity in order to look like a feminine junkie is a decision made out of a fashion victim level of stupidity?

http://www.webmd.boots.com/men/news/20120716/skinny-jeans-risk-testicle-damage

Maybe I'm wrong on the history of it's adoption by men, it was a guesswork attempt to understand idiotic thinking.

It's backward and immature to figure that risking damage to the defining part of one's masculinity in order to look like a feminine junkie is a decision made out of a fashion victim level of stupidity?

http://www.webmd.boots.com/men/news/20120716/skinny-jeans-risk-testicle-damage

Maybe I'm wrong on the history of it's adoption by men, it was a guesswork attempt to understand idiotic thinking.

That's a whole different argument. The above may be true but it doesn't deflect form your childish, small minded and stereotypical comment. Borderline homophobic.

What if i said that the origin of baggy jeans came from the fact that young black men wanted to hide handguns in their boxers without cops knowing. Not only would that be total b*ll****, it would be racist. You're the idiot for saying something like that, not the people who wear jeans (that's a fact not an insult) . Skinny jeans will harm nobody but themselves.

You're the one who can't tell the difference between a fact, an opinion and an insult and I'm the idiot? :rolleyes:

I don't see what's borderline homophobic about my line of thinking that since the primary "benefit" of skinny jeans is making one's behind look good and that this is an effeminate way for a man to dress that they'd be of more interest to bi/gay men than straight guys.

TBH, I'd think that drawing the conclusion that this statement inferred something negative about gay men would be more homophobic than the statement itself. Nowhere does the sentence say that skinny jeans are bad because "the gays wear them" (as you seem to be reading into the post - perhaps you need to question whether you hold those prejudices yourself if you're so quick to read them into others words?). Nor does it say that "all" gay men are into dressing effeminately. I know plenty of gay guys who'd rather shag a woman than dress like one.

BTW: if I recall correctly, sociologists identified the baggy jeans as fashion statement as originating from inmates in US prisons not being allowed to wear belts resulting in their trousers dropping lower on their hips than normal and this look being copied by gangs in order to look tough before being marketed to the suburbs as "urban" by the fashion industry.

• Administrators Posts: 53,487 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Administrators Posts: 53,487 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Sleepy, you are talking absolute nonsense and are completely WRONG when you say that skinny jeans are tight all over. The top block (front rise, back rise, waist) is much the same as every other cut, the difference is the LEG is tighter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

My thoughts on skinny jeans are summed up by the lyrics from a song by Chamillionaire, "Swagga Like Koop":

:D Is this the same type of scumbag that wear his trousers under his arse cheeks? One extreme to the other :D

Jesus christ, i could use these to sail my boat :D
    chamillionaire_531.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

I don't see what's borderline homophobic about my line of thinking that since the primary "benefit" of skinny jeans is making one's behind look good and that this is an effeminate way for a man to dress that they'd be of more interest to bi/gay men than straight guys.

So the trick to attracting straight men is not wearing skinny jeans?

I can't claim to understand why some gay men like to dress (and/or behave) effeminately but I think it's fair to say that very few straight men (outside the world of cross-dressing) deliberately set out to dress in a feminine fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I can never understand why skinny jeans on men prompts so much heated debate among some guys. If one doesn't personally like to wear them, so be it but why not be indifferent about those that choose to wear them rather than second guessing their motivation/personality/sexual orientation etc?

Back to the thread title. If fashion just means current trends, than I would say that I'm not a dedicated follower. However, I do like buying clothes and wearing something new on a frequent basis. I would be quite unaware of what's in vogue but would just pick up something that I like (it doesn't have to be in fashion). Often I'll see a mannequin in a store dressed in a nice shirt/top/ jeans/trousers attire and really like the way it's put together and buy the whole outfit on that basis.

Some people turn up their noses at high street chains such as H&M, Zara, River Island etc but I think they stock great gear at affordable prices and do actually last. I could not justify paying 150 for designer jeans if I can get a great pair for 45/50 euro in one of the aforementioned stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Not true. My ass looks awesome in jeans and I never wear skinny ones.
    ongarboy wrote:
    I can never understand why skinny jeans on men prompts so much heated debate among some guys. If one doesn't personally like to wear them, so be it but why not be indifferent about those that choose to wear them rather than second guessing their motivation/personality/sexual orientation etc?

This to be honest.
    dedicated follower
    Reminds me of the song

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

One thing I hate is when I buy something impulsively. TBH I think my fashion sense is good but sometimes I buy some horrendous stuff just on the spur of the moment, for example this sleeveless hoodie I got in River Island. Looks so bad. Also got one of them aran grandad tops in river island, isn't actually bad but just something about it isn't me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

those tops are mank, dunno how people perceive them as so fashionable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Which ones? The sleeveless or the Aran? I think the Aran tops can suit certain people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

EdenHazard wrote: »
    Which ones? The sleeveless or the Aran? I think the Aran tops can suit certain people.

I don't know you from Adam, but your name keeps popping up on this website. You definitely seem like the Boards equivalent of David Beckham.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭Black Leather

I have always been into dressing up in way out gear and as my user name suggests, I just love dressing up in head to toe black leather. As regards guys wearing skinny jeans, when I was younger I used to wear really skin-tight black Lycra/Spandex jeans, which left very little to the imagination - and the girls just loved me in them!

I have always loved biker jackets, which I wear with leather jeans and New Rock Boots during the winter months. During the summer, I wear black or blue denim jeans with matching denim jackets. I have always loved wearing leather or denim or a combination of both and people have said that I look good in them.

If one looks good, one feels good and that's what matters!

Advertisement