Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much are you guys into fashion?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Sleepy wrote: »
    In the case of Hollister / A&F, it'd be the vacuous, spoilt brats that initially wore them in Ireland after Mummy dearest brought them back from her bi-annual shopping trip to New York... I'd be afraid people would associate me with that crowd were I to wear it.

Lacoste, Nike and Burberry I'd associate with scumbags.

I've never been able to get over reading in No Logo that Hilfiger sell nothing but a signature e.g. Pepe do their jeans etc. and would associate paying more for the same clothing with a more "prestigious" brand name on it to be inherently stupid.

Gucci? Just have never liked their designs and find most of their stuff a bit too flamboyant for me.

Neither Burberry or Lacoste are "scummy" outside Ireland, in fact the former is posh English.

Despite being anti-brand you are obsessed by what brands mean ( and parochially so) in Ireland - this one is too posh, this is all scummy. What do you buy?

I don't buy brands , not one specific brand, but I don't do penny's either. Cheap doesn't work. Ireland is too expensive so mostly it is online shopping. But, I like suit jackets. And slacks. Not often a shirt, no tie except for interviews ( I have 2) . Here that's a poncy look, in London, where a good percentage of people are in media or banking it is common and I got used to it. In fact a boss told me to not wear jeans, not when clients were around - most days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Surely you are all missing the main point, that track suit bottoms worn outside a gym, can never be smart or fashionable.

No. Anyone that thinks that is a fool or 12 years old. Still doesn't stop me from wearing them into college though. I've had to wear a shirt, tie and pants every day for the last 3 months. I will enjoy the next 2 months when I can tracksuits every day before I've to wear the shirt, tie and pants again for 3 months.

I wear jeans in to college the odd time, but I'd mainly keep them for heading to the pub or maybe going to the cinema.

I gave in recently to buying a pair of chinos. I'm not particularly proud that I bought them but I was running low on clothes, and I can never find a pair of cheap blue-ish jeans that will fit me. All I have are darker pairs. Needed a bit of a change.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Not too fashionable but I did buy a jacket from america because I saw it on a male fashion forum and thought it was nice. :p

i couldnt care less

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Thomasmartin

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »

Tucking in the aul fella is a supreme amount of effort some times.

We should always have free willys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I don't buy brands , not one specific brand, but I don't do penny's either. Cheap doesn't work. Ireland is too expensive so mostly it is online shopping.

There's a happy medium there that goes over a lot of people's heads.
    I find even Penneys can have better fashions than top brands, though the quality is lacking.
    Then the top brands are usually high quality gear, but I find it's either lacking in style or extortionately priced.
    The mid range gear that I buy neither has logos plastered on it nor wears out too quickly. Also, this is where I find the best styles.

I don't buy cheap clothes, but I don't pay for brand premiums either.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Sleepy wrote: »
    In the case of Hollister / A&F, it'd be the vacuous, spoilt brats that initially wore them in Ireland after Mummy dearest brought them back from her bi-annual shopping trip to New York... I'd be afraid people would associate me with that crowd were I to wear it.

Lacoste, Nike and Burberry I'd associate with scumbags.

That's a very narrow view to have of things imo, but there's no denying that people do form first impressions on people based on how the look, including how they're dressed.

Not everybody who wears brands falls under the categories assigned to them. I own Hollister items - I'm certainly wouldn't associate myself with that crowd, never been on a J1 either before you ask :pac: similarly I've worn Lacoste and Nike items - wouldn't say I'm a scumbag.

I would wear clothes if I find them appealing and fashionable - I wouldn't let a brand or pre-concieved ideas about those brands affect whether or not I but....say....a nice t-shirt etc.

I do prefer plain clothes though. Would be prone to buying my clothes mainly in:

Next
    Topman
    H&M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Stay away from anything "country" that landed gentry used to wear. Usually scumbags and chavs latch on to this style. e.g. Burberry.... Now lots of scummers wearing the horse riding type jackets....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

I don't mind picking out a nice set of casual runners.

Anything beyond that and I get cold sweats. I loathe shopping for clothes. I swear if I could pay someone roughly the same height and build as myself to go away and **** around with clothes of varying sizes and shapes for hours and hours until finally deciding on whatever sh!te looked ok I would gladly hand over the cash.

So to answer your question? Not very much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

What's your height? Hahaha although you prob wouldn't wanna pay that money to come out the other side looking like a Justin Bieber ripoff.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

I think age depends to an extent too.

I try and make some kind of effort usually, but now I'm on the wrong side of 40, it's getting tricky.

Wearing polo shirts and comfy chinos and suchlike bores me, which is why I find clothes shopping such a chore. Everywhere it's logo central.

Generally, I tend to enjoy going out wearing a 70s style leather jacket or denim jacket, dark jeans and either a pair of smart shoes or retro trainers. Now all I want is for flares to make a comeback (seriously!) and wide collared shirts.

Also, I'd fecking love to own a brown sports jacket with big lapels and shirts to match, but I'm not exactly going to find them on the high street, unfortunately.

Admittedly, I own tracksuit bottoms but only to lounge in the house. I'd never dream of wearing them even to go to the corner shop. I have an image to maintain!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

seachto7 wrote: »
    Now lots of scummers wearing the horse riding type jackets....
    :eek: got any pics, this sounds like a hilarious combo.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

think it's funny that a certain brand or type of clothing stereotypes you as a scumbag or a D4 head.

is it not just the actual person's face and behaviour that deems the scumbag label or the D4 label.

stick a A&F hoody Jacinta, is she not a scumbag anymore? vice versa for sticking Fred Perry on young Fintan is he now a scumbag?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Jedwardian

I suppose over the last couple of years I've been trying to slowly upgrade my wardrobe from hoodies, ill fitting t-shirts and bootcut jeans. Not that I've a problem with dressing like that; it's damn comfortable! It's just that I feel making slightly more of an effort has helped boost my confidence.

Recently I've been looking to put together a "timeless" style which isn't dependent on fashion trends. Finding clothes that fit well is the biggest thing for me. Being tall, skinny and long limbed, this can be a chore but I've now got a pretty clear picture of what brands fit best without trying on everything in a store. I'm not a fan of all day shopping trips so do a bit of searching online for what I want and where I can find it. When I know what I want, I prefer to try it on in a store rather than buy it online.

Slogan tees and clothes covered with logos are out. Hollister, Jack and Jones or A&F should pay me for advertising their clothes, not the other way around! Instead it's plain tees, stripey tees or polo shirts. Bootcut jeans have been replaced with slim fit (rather than skinny fit) jeans. Better fitting shirts like those in Ted Baker have replaced shirts that hung off me and made me resemble a clothes hanger. Check shirts are out but that's just a personal thing since everyone wears them. I'll wear a peacoat instead of a ski jacket if it's cold. If I want to add a pop of colour, I'll wear a scarf and gloves.

The only item I've splurged on is a chocolate brown leather jacket which I was looking at for ages. I only bought it once I'd saved for it. Everything else is bought in sales or on fleeting visits to Kildare Village if I'm passing. I wouldn't say I'm interested in following fashion trends/fads (like drop crotch or twisted jeans and chinos, scoop neck tees) but I am interested in my appearance. It boosts the ego when people compliment how you look!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Fashion is a waste of money style is an investment.
    The problem with Ireland is menswear is shockingly bad. The brands carried and buys are safe and boring.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 454 ✭✭Israel_Dagg

padi89 wrote: »
    The problem with Ireland is menswear is shockingly bad. The brands carried and buys are safe and boring.

What are the returns on style?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

What are the returns on style?

A better wardrobe.

You only have to look at the fashion forum, posts with "i bought this today, i love it what should i wear with it?". If it doesn't already fit in with your style then why buy it? All you end up doing is spending more money on other pieces to go with it and now you have a small fortune spent. The money would have been much better spent on one good item that you'll wear often besides the latest trend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Anyone else love their shorts? As soon as I get in the door I'll put them on. Going on a long drive in sunny weather, I'll probably put on a pair of shorts. Tracksuits at the gym, hell no, it's got to be shorts. I even pop into town sometimes in my shorts even if it's raining but as long as it's not too cold.
    They're just so comfortable and non restrictive.

Damn, I really love my shorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I think a lot of guys get on their pedestal when asked about their fashion. You can even see it here in this thread as well. Comments along the lines of "People can take me as I am or screw them". It sounds great in theory and is almost admirable apart from the fact that half the time it's a convenient excuse which masks the real reason.

It's a cynical world out there. Anyone who thinks that they're not judged by strangers on what they're wearing, at some level, is naive. If you ask any man would he like to be more successful, more attractive to women (or men) and make a better first impression on people then almost all would say 'yes'. Our hands and faces are the only things that aren't covered by what we've selected so it's only natural that people form some kind of opinion on you at some level by what's covering 90% of your body. If you've got a cracking personality as well then looking well isn't going to be some sort of impediment. The two aren't mutually exclusive!

The whole prevalence of leisure wear as regular wear inspired one of the best ever comments from overheardindublin.com:
    2 American tourists were stopped on O’Connell Street pondering in which direction to head.Tourist #1: “Which way should we go?”Tourist #2: “I’m not sure, let’s ask those athletes over there.” Upon spying a group of young lads clad in their usual attire of tracksuit and ill-fitting baseball cap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

I think a lot of guys get on their pedestal when asked about their fashion. You can even see it here in this thread as well. Comments along the lines of "People can take me as I am or screw them". It sounds great in theory and is almost admirable apart from the fact that half the time it's a convenient excuse which masks the real reason.

It's a cynical world out there. Anyone who thinks that they're not judged by strangers on what they're wearing, at some level, is naive. If you ask any man would he like to be more successful, more attractive to women (or men) and make a better first impression on people then almost all would say 'yes'. Our hands and faces are the only things that aren't covered by what we've selected so it's only natural that people form some kind of opinion on you at some level by what's covering 90% of your body. If you've got a cracking personality as well then looking well isn't going to be some sort of impediment. The two aren't mutually exclusive!

The whole prevalence of leisure wear as regular wear inspired one of the best ever comments from overheardindublin.com:

Well, that may be true, but I don't think what I wear is going to make me anymore palatable to women. I throw on clothes rather than wear them :P, and I don't think that wearing a jacket in which I would feel very uncomfortable in, would make a difference.

If I was wearing a jacket/sports coat, then I would definately be dressing to impress someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,730 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I have zero interest in fashion myself and it probably shows :o (although I've been told I look well before so what do I know :p). Few reasons for this...

- I wore uniforms in school
    - Spent the last 15 years or so in Business Casual (shirt and slacks) gear
    - Haven't the money to spend on "fashion" and would resent paying something like 70/80 quid for ONE shirt etc

So I buy shirts and slacks in Dunnes mostly as I work in IT and often find myself cleaning out dust filled desktops or crawling under desks tracing cables (even though I'm supposedly beyond that now!) so what's the point in buying expensive gear.

I did treat myself to 2 pairs of Wrangler jeans on sale @ jeanstore.co.uk before Christmas though (unfortunately getting jeans in my size 38/30 seems a massive obstacle in shops) and that with a few better grade shirts and shoes does me. If I had more cash I'd do this properly as it's what I'm comfortable in.

(late 30s if that counts)

Oh, I do know that I HATE tracksuits, and even runners - haven't worn them since I was a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Any cool boots out there at the moment? It's about time I bought some boots again...

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Supraman

padi89 wrote: »
    have to agree , fashion is transient , style is permanent . a lot of the time people into fashion just pick the latest trend no matter if it suits them or not . style is being able to have a timeless classic look that suits the individual imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I think good mens clothing is very expensive, my husband buys most of his clothes in M and S and thats grand for a middle age man, One of my potential sons in law is a student so I try to buy him clothes for his birthdays...The price of some of the branded stuff is mad 60euro for a hoodie from lifestyle sports!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

On the subject of boot cut jeans, a pet hate of mine, a girl I know works for Ted Baker here in London and says they have a line of them but only for export to Ireland.
    I remember I could spot people in Australia being Irish from the jeans they're wearing. They'are awful looking things in my opinion! Stop wearing them!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    On the subject of boot cut jeans, a pet hate of mine, a girl I know works for Ted Baker here in London and says they have a line of them but only for export to Ireland.
    I remember I could spot people in Australia being Irish from the jeans they're wearing. They'are awful looking things in my opinion! Stop wearing them!

Well I'm 6'4" and I don't have the pins of an Olympic athlete so my options then are having regular fit straights flopping around or those nasty tight fit straights which will highlight one of my least favourable attributes both of which seem to love battling my footwear.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I had to look up boot cut on google to see what you are talking about. They are just normal jeans!:confused: What is awful about them?

I have seen people wear these kind of clothes in every country I have visited so I doubt that it is only Irish people who buy them

assuming this is the type you meant
    235738.jpg
    :confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

It's the Jack and Jones boot cuts that are the curse of the Irish male! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭JayReale

Ted Baker have started producing a style of jeans specifically for the Irish market?!? I'd have my doubts.

Advertisement