Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much are you guys into fashion?

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

EdenHazard wrote: »
    Those pants aren't bad, hate the shoes though.

Are you serious. Other way around buddy, those shoes would well do for everyday wear in college or whatever. Can't go wrong with a comfy plain pair of Nike's tbh...

• Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Johnny31

When can afford it I be into fashion.. usually a few new shirts here and there etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

awec wrote: »
    I use asos.com, I buy Diesel jeans and basically every size combo is available.

For a price.
    A lot of mid range retailers like H&M, Next and Pull&Bear among many others will only do their bottoms in a standard length.

I've bought online before and have nearly always been pretty satisfied, but there's no doubt you pay a good bit extra for good brands. Though I've got lots of bargains before on CK, Timberland and Levi jeans (i.e. <€30).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

I'm trying to make my style a little older. Everyone says my style suits me, but some things like high tops I'll eventually fade out I reckon.

I'm trying to make my style a little older. Everyone says my style suits me, but some things like high tops I'll eventually fade out I reckon.

I wouldn't have though high tops would be an "older" style:confused:

Well, that depends on what you mean by older I suppose.

Nikes are great, if you're going for a run or a game of tennis.

Would never go for a run in them, soles are not suited for them. Adidas or Puma for that tbh...and the Nike tennis shoes are strictly for that, could never see myself walking around in a pair of Nadal's finest :rolleyes:

I used proudly wear these until one of the lads dog's tore them apart when I stayed over at his place one night...I mightn't wear them to a nightclub now (although I probably would knowing me because they're so comfy) but they were a nice pair of shoes tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Nikes are great, if you're going for a run or a game of tennis.

I lol'd at this.

Gone off trainers in a big way the last year or so.

Never owned a pair of high tops, doubt I ever will...Don't think they'd suit me and I actually think they're very ugly...disappoints me when a girl wears them too which is sh*t cuz every third girl in college is wearing them :L

I quite like vans though...these are pretty all purpose
    l.jpg

• Advertisement

I've been meaning to buy some trainers recently actually.
    Shoes are generally my style but I wear them out quite quickly as that's my casual style and the soles start to get destroyed far quicker than trainers.

Ye sorry that's what I meant. I'm gonna move on from high tops eventually. I wear them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Eathrin wrote: »
    Shoes are generally my style but I wear them out quite quickly as that's my casual style and the soles start to get destroyed far quicker than trainers.

Can't you just have the soles replaced/repaired? Decent shoes are expensive, I couldn't imagine shelling out for new ones too often.

Yeah and I've noticed they tend to get dirtier a lot quicker than trainers which is highly ironic but maybe that's just me. Personally, regardless of them being quite popular anf hit and miss, I think these are nice in practically any colour...remember buying the dark bluey/grey ones for like €80 about a year or so ago then found a store in Limerick that does the same ones in more colours from 50-60. Gutted tbh but delighted in a way because they've a savage range of shoes and they're very well priced...one of the lads got a savage pair of Fred Perry shoes for about 30 quid...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Virulent hate? Where did you pull that from. Three people in this thread said they didn't like them or wouldn't wear them. People have different opinions and tastes, deal with it.

"because they're gay" I haven't seen any mention of this so take your chino insecurities elsewhere.

The hate for chinos is abundant in After Hours. I really don't understand it. They're just pants :confused:
    leahyl wrote: »
    For men you mean? I wouldn't think that jeans are seen as formal wear or dressy wear here - most lads I see around town or in the cinema or whatever are wearing jeans - the only time I'd see guys wearing trackie bottoms is if they are coming from the gym or they are college lads.

Jeans can be both casual and dressy in my opinion - for both sexes

See loads of people around in tracksuits. Loads of my friends wear them all the time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Blowfish wrote: »
    As someone who's clueless about fashion, the above seems a little odd, given that Chinos have been around longer than jeans have.

I think it's they way they are styled with narrow legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

yep prefer dressing smart. usually a pair of adidas originals or a pair of desert boots. pair of dark jeans. love my 501 pair of levis. polo shirt fred perry,original penguin and the likes and then a jacket usually something casual as well. only wear tracksuits and T-shirts around the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Ireland is not coming across as Madmen, or GQ. Basically we're dressy if we not wearing Adidas and a hoodie.

But in Dublin anyway at the same time people do make an effort I've noticed. I lived in France when I was younger, and go back and you see the most outrageous tracksuits everywhere. Nike Air Max is seen as style there. Obviously different in Paris and such.

I do hate the notion that in Ireland, wearing jeans and a shirt is seen as making an effort :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

I do hate the notion that in Ireland, wearing jeans and a shirt is seen as making an effort :D

Wearing pajamas can be a bit of an effort for some, even.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭mckenzie84

ShaneC1928 wrote:
    yep prefer dressing smart. usually a pair of adidas originals or a pair of desert boots. pair of dark jeans. love my 501 pair of levis. polo shirt fred perry,original penguin and the likes and then a jacket usually something casual as well. only wear tracksuits and T-shirts around the house.
    Clobber is the way to go alright. Works everywhere. Whether it's at football, a nightclub or just around town.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭mckenzie84

ShaneC1928 wrote:
    Clobber is the way to go alright. Works everywhere. Whether it's at football, a nightclub or just around town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Wearing pajamas can be a bit of an effort for some, even.

Tucking in the aul fella is a supreme amount of effort some times.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Tracksuit bottoms(Hollister, old school adidas) and some sort of hoodie.

Interesting that you quoted brands for the tracksuit.
    Tracksuit is a tracksuit. No difference between a €10 Dunnes one and a €10 Dunnes one sold by Hollister for €80.

I've taken to shirts and jumpers to go with jeans in the last couple of years but it is hard to find decent jumpers that retain their shape after washing them a few times. For jeans I am lucky enough in that I am standard size 34/32 so have no probs with fittings (Urban Outfitters in Stephens Green do nice jeans for reasonable cash).
    Brown shoes with jeans is the way to go.

I never wear anything with a brand name visible where I can help it.

Tracksuit bottoms(Hollister, old school adidas) and some sort of hoodie.

I also find this laughable that some people think that they're better dressed because of a brand name.

fwiw I don't own anything from Hollister co or Abercrombie & Fitch and I find their clothes to be overpriced and lacking in any sort of style. They're soft, I'll give them that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,162 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I have to admit the type of people that imported Hollister or Abercrombie & Fitch to Ireland would make certain I wouldn't be seen dead wearing it...

There are brands I like but I find these days, there's more that would put me off buying something than would make me purchase it (Hilfiger, Lacoste, Nike, Gucci and Burberry would be other examples).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Sleepy wrote: »
    I have to admit the type of people that imported Hollister or Abercrombie & Fitch to Ireland would make certain I wouldn't be seen dead wearing it...

There are brands I like but I find these days, there's more that would put me off buying something than would make me purchase it (Hilfiger, Lacoste, Nike, Gucci and Burberry would be other examples).

What would put you off one brand but not another out of interest?

I have Hollister clothes that I wear around the house, casual wear to the gym and so on - I by no means love the brand but was given gifts of them and don't mind them. It's a college-esque brand and that's the only reason I wouldn't be too gone on wearing them in public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Surely you are all missing the main point, that track suit bottoms worn outside a gym, can never be smart or fashionable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,162 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

D'Agger wrote: »
    What would put you off one brand but not another out of interest?

I have Hollister clothes that I wear around the house, casual wear to the gym and so on - I by no means love the brand but was given gifts of them and don't mind them. It's a college-esque brand and that's the only reason I wouldn't be too gone on wearing them in public.
    In the case of Hollister / A&F, it'd be the vacuous, spoilt brats that initially wore them in Ireland after Mummy dearest brought them back from her bi-annual shopping trip to New York... I'd be afraid people would associate me with that crowd were I to wear it.

Lacoste, Nike and Burberry I'd associate with scumbags.

I've never been able to get over reading in No Logo that Hilfiger sell nothing but a signature e.g. Pepe do their jeans etc. and would associate paying more for the same clothing with a more "prestigious" brand name on it to be inherently stupid.

Gucci? Just have never liked their designs and find most of their stuff a bit too flamboyant for me.

Advertisement