Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much are you guys into fashion?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

I got a t shirt for christmas, I don't mind tight t shirts but this one nearly went down to my knees so it was hugging my ass and legs. If that's fashion, count me out.

Also, am I the only person who thinks that these are ridiculous? http://www.triads.co.uk/images/products/zoom/1268132413-98014500.jpg

Fashion victim more like.

Tried on a pair recently thinking they were normal trousers. Had to laugh at myself.

I know some lads are fairly hostile towards anything 'fashion' related thinking it's stuff like that. It's not how I'd look at it.

All Saints is really nice imo, pricey though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Scuba Ste wrote: »
    Fashion victim more like.

Tried on a pair recently thinking they were normal trousers. Had to laugh at myself.

I know some lads are fairly hostile towards anything 'fashion' related thinking it's stuff like that. It's not how I'd look at it.

All Saints is really nice imo, pricey though.

Explain this. What's a fashion victim? Someone whose style you don't like? Just curious it seems to be a word thrown around a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I wouldn't wear something if I was told it was fashion, but didn't like it myself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 454 ✭✭Israel_Dagg

Them pants. They must be so uncomfortable to walk in?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,291 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I usually have 2 good pair of jeans for going out which I would wear with a shirt or more ofton a t shirt.

I do manual work so for day to day wear I go to Dunnes and usually wear jeans and hoodies during the week.

People may completly disagree with me but I think city dwellers would be more into their fashion.

I keep myself clean and tidy and in good enough shape so that's good enough for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

EdenHazard wrote: »
    Explain this. What's a fashion victim? Someone whose style you don't like? Just curious it seems to be a word thrown around a lot

Someone who just follows new trends no matter how they fit into their own previous style maybe. I was being a little facetious.

I hadn't seen those type of trousers until a year or two ago and now they're popular enough among a younger age bracket. Will they still be popular when people hit their late 20s/30s? I know I wore things that I'll never wear again. I think style is a bit more consistent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Very few mentions of suits here. I wish wearing suit jackets with tee shirts, or open necked shirts, were more common in Ireland. A good jacket makes most men look better, and nobody really cares about your jeans - diesel or not.

most male fashion mags - it's all about the suits jackets, winter coats etc. in Ireland denim loving tennagerism lasts until people get married and then it's jumpers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

Those pants make it look like the owner sh1t himself!!

He wouldn't be able to do the hurdles in the Olympics with them anyway.:P

Not that much into fashion, I wear clothes that I'm comfortable in, but not clothes that would be perceived as stylish such as suit jackets/sports coats. I don't even own a suit.:)

Having to wear clothes that would make me look much better are clothes that I'm uncomfortable to be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Couldn't give a toss, give me what I'm comfortable in over fashion any day

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭mckenzie84

I lkke to dress well but I'm not into fashion trends or the like. I won't be wearing chinos and cardigans because thats what ever second JLS wannabe is wearing. I wouldn't be caught dead reading a catalogue.

Dark jeans, decent runners, tshirt/polo and a quality jacket. Sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭mckenzie84

I lkke to dress well but I'm not into fashion trends or the like. I won't be wearing chinos and cardigans because thats what ever second JLS wannabe is wearing. I wouldn't be caught dead reading a catalogue.

Dark jeans, decent runners, tshirt/polo and a quality jacket. Sorted.

I can't stand desert chinos anymore, seriously they've just become far too clichéd. Safe to say, they won't be making an appearance until the fad dies down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I can't stand chinos.

FYP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Hmm, does the whole virulent hate for chinos confuse anybody else? I haven't seen it in this thread but there does seem to be a because they're "gay" thing going on/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »
    Hmm, does the whole virulent hate for chinos confuse anybody else? I haven't seen it in this thread but there does seem to be a because they're "gay" thing going on/

Virulent hate? Where did you pull that from. Three people in this thread said they didn't like them or wouldn't wear them. People have different opinions and tastes, deal with it.

"because they're gay" I haven't seen any mention of this so take your chino insecurities elsewhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 454 ✭✭Israel_Dagg

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »

Yeah, you seem to be a 1D fanboy if you wear them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Virulent hate? Where did you pull that from. Three people in this thread said they didn't like them or wouldn't wear them. People have different opinions and tastes, deal with it.

"because they're gay" I haven't seen any mention of this so take your chino insecurities elsewhere.

Calm yourself, if you read my post I said I haven't seen it in this thread and the word virulent is just me being dramatic. But I have seen on Facebook of young men calling people queers (in an admittedly joking way) for wearing chinos and the whole real men don't wear chinos things. Meh, don't have a pair myself, it just kind of confuses me a little.

Chinos are a real 1D/Geordie Shore thing(especially those pants on the previous page)

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

Yes, I like to dress well whether it is going to work, meeting friends for a drink or going out on a date.

I've always dressed well and it always makes a good first impression when meeting new people.

That said I won't splash out silly money on a pair of jeans or jacket for the sake of it.

fat__tony wrote: »
    Yes, I like to dress well whether it is going to work, meeting friends for a drink or going out on a date.

I've always dressed well and it always makes a good first impression when meeting new people.

That said I won't splash out silly money on a pair of jeans or jacket for the sake of it.

Interesting thing I've noticed with my mates. When we're going cinema they look on in bemusement when I wear jeans and maybe a shirt. They're like why are you wearing clothes like that to the cinema, its not like your going to a club. But I'm always like these are my favorite clothes, why would I wait to wear them for the one night I'm going out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Interesting thing I've noticed with my mates. When we're going cinema they look on in bemusement when I wear jeans and maybe a shirt. They're like why are you wearing clothes like that to the cinema, its not like your going to a club. But I'm always like these are my favorite clothes, why would I wait to wear them for the one night I'm going out.

So what are they wearing? What's less casual than Jeans?

Tracksuit bottoms(Hollister, old school adidas) and some sort of hoodie. In Ireland, jeans aren't seen as casual I don't think. In US and Germany they are just everyday clothes but in Ireland wearing jeans is not the norm especially with young people. I've noticed France has same fascination with tracksuits as Ireland does.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Tracksuit bottoms(Hollister, old school adidas) and some sort of hoodie. In Ireland, jeans aren't seen as casual I don't think. In US and Germany they are just everyday clothes but in Ireland wearing jeans is not the norm especially with young people. I've noticed France has same fascination with tracksuits as Ireland does.

For men you mean? I wouldn't think that jeans are seen as formal wear or dressy wear here - most lads I see around town or in the cinema or whatever are wearing jeans - the only time I'd see guys wearing trackie bottoms is if they are coming from the gym or they are college lads.

Jeans can be both casual and dressy in my opinion - for both sexes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Yeah, you seem to be a 1D fanboy if you wear them.
    As someone who's clueless about fashion, the above seems a little odd, given that Chinos have been around longer than jeans have.

Oh, on thing that does get on my nerves is when people question what I wear casually, maybe jeans, a shirt and a jumper, even if I'm just lazing around the house.
    My friends would see this as "going out wear" and would probably wear tracksuits most of the time unless they were going to the club.

Tracksuits are sportswear exclusively in my books, jeans etc. are casual and I would consider a suit formal.

• Administrators Posts: 53,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

awec wrote: »
    I only ever wear sports clothes if I'm doing sport..,

I often think about the time that I was in a rough area of Cork in my car and see this geezer looking guy pegging it. I looked around to see what/ who he was running from and slowly realised he was just a local bloke out for a run:o Caught myself profiling that day I'm ashamed to admit.
    ...I wear expensive clothes but I find that they last me much longer

I find this isn't necessarily the case these days. I've had a few instances of jumpers stretching and jeans looking ancient after the first wash. I bought two pairs of jeans recently and they developed holes in the arse above the left pocket where the tags had been sewn on. I might just be paranoid but...
    ...I wear expensive clothes but I find that they- are a better cut / fit me better...

Quite true. It's hard to get clothes when you're tall in this country. You get larger clothes for your larger limbs and they start to absolutely hang off you. Cheap clothes are a nightmare if you're tall.

cantdecide wrote: »
    Quite true. It's hard to get clothes when you're tall in this country. You get larger clothes for your larger limbs and they start to absolutely hang off you. Cheap clothes are a nightmare if you're tall.

I agree with this, being tall and slim.
    I find bottoms of any sort in a standard length will be too short.
    I also find suits very difficult to get in my size.

• Administrators Posts: 53,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

I'm a 30 inch waist and 34 inch leg in trousers. That size combination is basically impossible to get in physical shops, they seem to think that everyone with 34 inch legs has a 40 inch waist ffs.

I'm the same size. So all standard lengths where they only give you a waist size are generally a 30 inch or 32 inch. Too short anyway.

And shops do seem to think that sizes are proportional for some reason.
    It's easy to find a 30/30 or a 34/34 but not a 30/34.

Advertisement