Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much are you guys into fashion?

Options
  • 29-12-2012 4:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭

I think I've reached a right balance now. I'm someone whose interested in fashion(ok not to everybody's taste but you couldn't deny that I always make an effort and even people who slag my style say it suits me) but before I was a bit OTT and consumerist.

I still enjoy looking up clothes and stuff, but more moderate than before. I buy what I need, not just for the sake of it.

What about youse? Is dressing well something you take pride in or could you be bovd?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Ilikeyourcow

One word:

Pennys :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

for some things, but jeans never.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Jean are the one item I splash out on, usually diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

I like what I like - fashion can feck off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

Looking good (in terms of clothes) in my opinion is half the battle in most things in life, that being impressing a partner or impressing at a job interview or whatever people will always judge somewhat by appearance. I would be very into what I would wear mainly because I like looking nice it makes me feel good. It does not always have to be expensive and following the crowd either. You can always spot the fellas who let their mother/girlfriend/wife buy them clothes rather than having a mind for themselves. But each to their own i'm not going to judge!

• Advertisement

I think style should suit personality. I dress the way I do because of my interests and influences. Some stuff might be a bit clichéd, like snapbacks and earrings but that's me, it reflects who I am. In my social group I don't consider myself to be a sheep because most people I know would not dress like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I like to wear black, and I'd mainly wear black, although i do have some non-black clothes.

I do not see the point in shelling out stupid money for jeans, as I no longer dig foxholes, bunkers, bases, climb trees, build forts, etc. I buy a pair of jeans for a tenner, and the only reason I'd get rid of them would be that a hole has appeared in the pocket. Same problem happens in the expensive jeans just as fast, so meh.

If I like something ill wear it to death! I'm not big into the looks going around at the moment with chinos and buttoned up polos(although info dress like this from time to time), I'd be more into black jeans, jean jackets and leather jackets anything a bit different to be honest especially retro looking shirts and polos. I dress the way I do because it fits my personality sometimes for the best sometimes the worst! When I get the chance to dress up I enjoy a very nice suit!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Two Words: Charity Shops;)

But anyway. Yeah, I love a good jacket and I nice T-Shirt and a good pair of comfy pants (the penny's crotch problem:P)

I do get a bit annoyed that their aren't more colorful men's clothes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Dunnes Stores finest!

You can get some nice T shirts from TK Maxx also

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I normally head to the states every 18-24months, but $hit loads of clothes.
    Normally the only clothes i buy in ireland are suits,shirts etc.

The wife does have a habit of coming back with stuff for me to wear..
    So far everything she's bought has been left in the wardrobe :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Depends what you mean by into fashion. I don't pour over pictures of the latest fashion show but I would be interested in what's on trend; not always in agreement though.

I think it's important to look your best, not necessarily a bespoke 3 piece suit but good fitting clothes that look well. You can't go too wrong with a white shirt/t-shirt and dark jeans.

I'd rarely buy anything in Dunnes or Penneys myself, they never fit well.

I thought this was interesting http://www.fashionbeans.com/2012/being-well-dressed-having-style-is-there-a-difference/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Interesting article, while I'd largely agree with their concept of the "well dressed man" the guys given as examples of "stylish", look like utter prats to me...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 454 ✭✭Israel_Dagg

If I had money I'd be more interested in looking good :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

One word:

Pennys :-)

Bought a variety of stuff from there and the quality of a lot of the stuff is absolutely shocking, some stuff is grand but a lot isn't. I had a hoodie where the front pocket nearly came off in one day of wearing it around the house! Looks like it is very sparsely stitched on with some sort of adhesive holding it in place between the stitches. Same goes for a pair of shoes I got from there. Saying that I got two pairs of shoes that day and the other pair are great.
    GalwayGuy2 wrote: »
    Two Words: Charity Shops;)

But anyway. Yeah, I love a good jacket and I nice T-Shirt and a good pair of comfy pants (the penny's crotch problem:P)

I do get a bit annoyed that their aren't more colorful men's clothes.

Big +1 for charity shops.

I think the word fashion puts a lot of guys off this kind of conversation. I try on everything before I buy. I'll have a look around town to see what's in the shops before I buy stuff. I don't mind shelling out a few extra quid for something I really like. I'll have a look around the net to see what's available there. I would consider this to be in line with what OP meant when he said "into" fashion.

This would be in contrast to other lads I know who have their mom/gf buy their stuff for them or lads who just go in once a year and buy a ton of stuff without even looking at half it. There's nothing wrong with this in my eyes, different strokes and all that. As long as you're happy with it that's all that matters.

The only thing that bugs me is snobbery. Be it lads who spend a lot on clothes looking down their nose at some guy in a jersey and track pants or guys in jerseys and track pants calling some dude in skinny jeans and a cardigan a queer. It wrecks my fcuking head.

Only exception to this is having your pants tucked into your socks. There is no excuse for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

If by dress well you mean buy high quality (usually not 'designer' ) items such as timeless stylish shoes, well made and well fitted shirts, jackets etc. then yes, I'm very much into it.

If you mean following trends and permanently dressing in a casual manner them no, not at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

For me it totally depends on how warm and comfortable fasion is! ok so I couldnt give a toss about whats in fasion..........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Sleepy wrote: »
    Interesting article, while I'd largely agree with their concept of the "well dressed man" the guys given as examples of "stylish", look like utter prats to me...

Agree. As far as I can see the main difference is colourful trousers.
    Bought a variety of stuff from there and the quality of a lot of the stuff is absolutely shocking, some stuff is grand but a lot isn't. I had a hoodie where the front pocket nearly came off in one day of wearing it around the house! Looks like it is very sparsely stitched on with some sort of adhesive holding it in place between the stitches. Same goes for a pair of shoes I got from there. Saying that I got two pairs of shoes that day and the other pair are great.

Cheaper stuff doesn't tend to wash well or keep it's shape either ime.

How would you guys define well dressed? Like to some people I might dress like I'm a 'fashion victim' while to others, they would consider me to have good style. I guess it depends on your perspective.

To me you could be wearing all 'brand' clothes, Gant,Tommy Hillfiger etc. but still not be particularly stylish. I know a lad who goes to Gant with his money every so often and just spends about 800-1000 buying new clothes to revamp his wardrobe. I just think by sticking to one brand, your not stylish, your just buying it because of the meaning behind the brand(affluence etc.)

Well dressed? Not brand names necessarily. Just clothes that go together well and that suit that persons body type and that all round look well, be that penny's or Armani!!

• Advertisement

Well dressed? Not brand names necessarily. Just clothes that go together well and that suit that persons body type and that all round look well, be that penny's or Armani!!

Pretty much this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

If I had the money I'd be more into it. Because I don't have any money at all I usually just pick up whatever I see first and put it on.

Hopefully I'll have a job as a teacher this time next year, and I'll take more care with the clothes I have. I got by on 6 shirts and 4 trousers in my teaching practice recently. Could do with another suit and a few more trousers. I was wearing my suit pants. Not a great idea.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 454 ✭✭Israel_Dagg

If I had the money I'd be more into it. Because I don't have any money at all I usually just pick up whatever I see first and put it on.

Hopefully I'll have a job as a teacher this time next year, and I'll take more care with the clothes I have. I got by on 6 shirts and 4 trousers in my teaching practice recently. Could do with another suit and a few more trousers. I was wearing my suit pants. Not a great idea.

Same as this. Just go for whatevers the cheapest and comfortable now, next year if i have money I'd go for things that I think look good too.

Same as this. Just go for whatevers the cheapest and comfortable now, next year if i have money I'd go for things that I think look good too.

You'd be surprised the bargains you can pick up, charity shops were mentioned already and the net is good for cheap stuff too. TK Maxx as well my sister is well into her clothes and buys virtually everything in either charity shops or TK Maxx, have to have the patience for rooting around for stuff though and not everyone does.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I don't follow fashion trends, but I buy nice clothes regularly and like to look well dressed always.
    That doesn't mean I go for big labels either! I only would buy moderately priced, fashionable clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I got a t shirt for christmas, I don't mind tight t shirts but this one nearly went down to my knees so it was hugging my ass and legs. If that's fashion, count me out.

Also, am I the only person who thinks that these are ridiculous? http://www.triads.co.uk/images/products/zoom/1268132413-98014500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I got a t shirt for christmas, I don't mind tight t shirts but this one nearly went down to my knees so it was hugging my ass and legs. If that's fashion, count me out.

Also, am I the only person who thinks that these are ridiculous? http://www.triads.co.uk/images/products/zoom/1268132413-98014500.jpg

Both of those things are ridiculous :D

• Administrators Posts: 53,384 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

Those pants make it look like the owner sh1t himself!!

• Advertisement

Those pants aren't bad, hate the shoes though.

Advertisement