Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Tragedy wrote: »
    Here we go again, a certain user making claims 'substantiated' by links that don't actually back up his claims at all.

Déjà vu anyone?

A reported 70% drop in road fatalities in Dublin City 2009-2011.

Are you saying that's incorrect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Iwannahurl wrote: »

You didn't claim road fatalities had dropped in Dublin, you claimed changing the speed limit on the Quays made a demonstrable difference in terms of road safety.

Neither link states that, yet you claim the RSA one did.

Which is a lie.

you claimed changing the speed limit on the Quays made a demonstrable difference in terms of road safety.

Which is a lie.

Can you quote my post where I state that?

Can you quote my post where I state that?
    The Dublin City 30 km/h speed zone has made a demonstrable difference in terms of road safety

What?

What?

What indeed:
    You didn't claim road fatalities had dropped in Dublin, you claimed changing the speed limit on the Quays made a demonstrable difference in terms of road safety.

Dublin City implemented a 30 km/h zone.

Road fatalities dropped (again).

I'm saying the two things are related, as do Dublin City Council and the RSA, and as acknowledged by the ETSC.

Are you claiming otherwise?

• Advertisement

What indeed:

Dublin City implemented a 30 km/h zone.

Road fatalities dropped (again).

I'm saying the two things are related, as do Dublin City Council and the RSA, and as acknowledged by the ETSC.

Are you claiming otherwise?
    The RSA webpage you linked to claiming that it backed up your statement that the 30km/h limit made a demonstrable difference in road safety, says no such thing.

The RTE webpage states "However, there is debate over whether the introduction of the 30km speed limit in parts of the city area in early 2010 has helped." which certainly isn't definitive.

In short, you're lying yet again, misusing statistics yet again. If you had even the slightest knowledge of statistics, you'd know that "correlation does not equal causation" is the most basic tenet of the field.

I don't know why I bother tbh.

The RSA webpage you linked to claiming that it backed up your statement that the 30km/h limit made a demonstrable difference in road safety, says no such thing.

The RTE webpage states "However, there is debate over whether the introduction of the 30km speed limit in parts of the city area in early 2010 has helped." which certainly isn't definitive.

In short, you're lying yet again, misusing statistics yet again. If you had even the slightest knowledge of statistics, you'd know that "correlation does not equal causation" is the most basic tenet of the field.

I don't know why I bother tbh.

The first linked webpage includes this:

Garda%20On%20Bus%20Poster%20v5%20September%202012%20Hi%20Res.jpg

The RSA and AGS are now saying that Dublin has the safest roads of all EU capital cities (based on the reduction in road deaths).

There was a marked drop in road deaths following the implementation of the 30 km/h zone.

"Correlation doesn't equal causation" is only applicable as a caveat where there is serious doubt regarding cause and effect.

Two well-established factors are relevant here: (1) reducing speed decreases both crash risk and crash severity, and (2) there is a substantial body of evidence showing that 30kph/20mph zones reduce road casualties.

The National Pedestrian Safety Action Plan states the following:
    Across Europe, the introduction of low speed zones (typically 30kph) has been successfully implemented in residential areas, around schools and in shopping areas, with reductions in serious collisions by up to 70% noted.

No lies there, or in any of my contributions on the subject. I've reported your abusive misrepresentation of my posts, by the way.

The RTE link is a news story, not an independent research report. Of course Conor Faughnan is disputing the reasons for the drop in fatalities. Faughnan, chief cheerleader of the motoring lobby in Ireland, made the absurd claim before the zone was introduced that there is no safety case for a 30 km/h speed limit.

There are no doubts whatsoever regarding the causal link between the implementation of low speed zones and casualty reductions.

Do you have evidence to the contrary, yes or no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Garda%20On%20Bus%20Poster%20v5%20September%202012%20Hi%20Res.jpg
    Yes those roads must be safe as they have banned all types of traffic from them. :D

http://www.rsa.ie/PageFiles/7018/Garda On Bus Poster v5 September 2012 Hi Res.jpg
    Yes those roads must be safe as they have banned all types of traffic from them. :D

Ho ho ho. :pac:

On a slightly more serious note: are you moderating this thread/forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Lads Relax& close for the evening Start St Stephens day again:):):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,786 ✭✭✭SeanW

Who should decide whether a speed limit is too low on any given stretch of road?

Individual motorists, perhaps?

If so, would they be the same category of motorists who routinely break the speed limit on ... bla bla bla, bla bla bla ... I wanna screw motorists
    Not good enough.

I asked you specifically about a specific road, since you had made/repeated a claim that:
    Iwannahurl wrote:
    there is no such thing as safe speeding.
    Either justify that statement by proving that it is NEVER safe to go more than 50kph on that Type 1 DC, or to exceed any speed limit anywhere anytime, or withdraw the claim.

The Go Safe Money vans are out today Christmas Day:eek::eek::eek: Scrooges:P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

The Go Safe Money vans are out today Christmas Day:eek::eek::eek: Scrooges:P:P

i noticed that this morning as well.

well, its not surprising really, after all their 6yr contract is for 24/7, 365 days per yr

pa990 wrote: »
    i noticed that this morning as well.

well, its not surprising really, after all their 6yr contract is for 24/7, 365 days per yr

i thought they might be off today :mad::mad:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

i thought they might be off today :mad::mad:

Criminals don't take days off. :pac:

SeanW wrote: »
    Not good enough.

I asked you specifically about a specific road, since you had made/repeated a claim that:
    Iwannahurl wrote:
    there is no such thing as safe speeding.
    Either justify that statement by proving that it is NEVER safe to go more than 50kph on that Type 1 DC, or to exceed any speed limit anywhere anytime, or withdraw the claim.
    Iwannahurl wrote:
    *deathly silence*
    Can I take it from your lack of response that you cannot defend the claim you made/repeated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭opti0nal

Perhaps I can help: If you hit somebody at 50kph you will cause them serious injury. If you are going faster than that, the likelihood of your killing or permanently injuring that person will increase.

Driving is always potentially unsafe. It is the purpose of speed limits to balance that potential against the likelihood of an accident based on environmental considerations such as the human activity in the area and the nature of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

opti0nal wrote: »
    Perhaps I can help: If you hit somebody at 50kph you will cause them serious injury. If you are going faster than that, the likelihood of your killing or permanently injuring that person will increase.

Driving is always potentially unsafe. It is the purpose of speed limits to balance that potential against the likelihood of an accident based on environmental considerations such as the human activity in the area and the nature of the road.

But then why are some of the worst roads in the country 80km/h? And some of the straightest, arrow straight roads 50 or 60 km/h? The best example is this road, near Glenageary. Until about 18 months ago it was 50km/h and the Gardai LIVED on it.

http://goo.gl/maps/QHEUj

There is no junction on to it. There are lights but they are easily visible for 200m+ So even if you were doing a fierce rate of knots, you have ample time to slow down.

Likewise here, a favourite haunt of the Garda van. Just off a motorway, at least 500m to the nearest junction (All roads before the roadabout are not in use) and its 60km/h. Clear line of sight the whole way.

http://goo.gl/maps/Yvcda

Without stressing the point too much, the unmarked boys are starting to live here. Just as you come up the hill from the overpass. Conveniently your unable to see them as you approach it (And the Garda van lives just before this, at the sign just before the UCD slip road)

http://goo.gl/maps/475aa

Once again, an arrow straight row with only one slip road, and its 60km/h.

While I agree with you that speed is a huge factor in fatality, speed limits are used selectively for revenue as opposed to safety in a significant share of cases.

ironclaw wrote: »
    But then why are some of the worst roads in the country 80km/h?
    Because the general limit for regional roads is 80kph and no lower limit has been set for that road. It's likely that those who use that road adopt a lower safer speed and it has not been necessary to explicitly change the designation from the default.

Speed limits are lowered from defaults as a result of experience with a particular road or local complaints.
    And some of the straightest, arrow straight roads 50 or 60 km/h? The best example is this road, near Glenageary. Until about 18 months ago it was 50km/h and the Gardai LIVED on it.
    60kph is the default limit for urban trunk roads.
    Likewise here, a favourite haunt of the Garda van. Just off a motorway, at least 500m to the nearest junction (All roads before the roadabout are not in use) and its 60km/h. Clear line of sight the whole way.
    Because 60kph is the default limit for an off-ramp.
    While I agree with you that speed is a huge factor in fatality, speed limits are used selectively for revenue as opposed to safety in a significant share of cases.
    For this to be true, you would need to show that there is a net revenue from the speed traps. As far as I have seen all speed 'traps' are preceded by signs with large numbers in a red circle showing what the maximum legally permitted speed is. So, calling them 'traps' is misleading.

One reason why limits are lower than you would like might be due to them being tuned to the worst-case safety scenario and we don't have a system of variable speed limits, i.e changing the limit at a location at different times of the day (e.g. school times) or in accordance with driving conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

opti0nal wrote: »
    For this to be true, you would need to show that there is a net revenue from the speed traps. As far as I have seen all speed 'traps' are preceded by signs with large numbers in a red circle showing what the maximum legally permitted speed is. So, calling them 'traps' is misleading.

Average Garda laser trap lasts about 30 mins. If you pulled 10 cars in that time, your looking at €800 of revenue. So at most two Gardai have collected €800 for the tax coffers. And thats just one site. Multply this out over the country over the course of days, weeks and months. It quickly add's up.

From 2010 to February 2012 GoSafe alone collected €10.624 million. The detection rate apparently trippled in some months (Source: http://www.thejournal.ie/new-speed-cameras-collect-e10million-in-fines-350307-Feb2012/)

And the RSA still play the same, useless ads all copied and pasted from the UK safety board. The recent SMS one is a joke in terms of content and structure. So the money isn't exactly being plowed back into road safety. No one is strictly profiteering, except GoSafe who are laughing all the way to the bank with their mind bending contract, but its a massive revenue exercise for all involved.

And I would consider anything not advertised or clearly marked, with the use of deliberate obscurification (The hallmark of Traffic Corp), a trap regardless of what the signs say. Hiding, catching people is not the way forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

........And I would consider anything not advertised or clearly marked, with the use of deliberate obscurification (The hallmark of Traffic Corp), a trap regardless of what the signs say. Hiding, catching people is not the way forward.

Think they advertize the "traps" in Australia (and the booze bag bus stops too).

Average Garda laser trap lasts about 30 mins. If you pulled 10 cars in that time, your looking at €800 of revenue. So at most two Gardai have collected €800 for the tax coffers. And thats just one site. Multply this out over the country over the course of days, weeks and months. It quickly add's up.
    But you then have to deduct operational costs to see what the net profit is.
    So the money isn't exactly being plowed back into road safety.
    The benefit is indirect. Each fatal accident costs society about 1 million euro. The investment is recouped in lives saved because people were deterred.

And I would consider anything not advertised or clearly marked, with the use of deliberate obscurification (The hallmark of Traffic Corp), a trap regardless of what the signs say. Hiding, catching people is not the way forward.
    Speed limit signs are very clear. What else is needed?

If people who deliberately break the law are notified in advance of where and when the speed detection operations are, they'll just slow down at those locations and continue breaking the law elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

amadain wrote: »

Think they advertize the "traps" in Australia (and the booze bag bus stops too).

not all traps are advertised in.oz.

if they were all advertised, there wouldn't be such a big market there for radar detectors and laser jammers

is there a certain person back again on this thread????:eek::eek::eek::D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Who now? PM me.

Can I take it from your lack of response that you cannot defend the claim you made/repeated?

Nope.

Not good enough.

It's just a red herring to focus on a specific stretch of road, as if it were possible to extrapolate from the particular to the general using such an instance. The substantial body of research on speed and crash risk is not going to be challenged by your 50 km/h Type 1 DC example.

If you have a problem with the phrase "there is no such thing as safe speeding" and you can comprehensively refute the notion with your specific example(s) then perhaps you could bring the matter to the attention of the authors of the piece, ie the government of New South Wales.

On the other hand, one way of dismissing this particular red herring is simply to define speeding as driving at an unsafe speed.

Pointless quibbling aside, the key part of the Australian text I quoted earlier is this bit:
    The risk of a crash in a 60 km/h speed zone causing death or injury increases rapidly even with relatively small increases of speed. The crash risk at 65 km/h is about twice the risk at 60 km/h. At 70 km/h the crash risk is more than four times the risk at 60 km/h.

That is not opinion. It's a statement based on good evidence.

As I've stated previously, the difference between 60 and 65 km/h is subjectively trivial when you're in a car, which is where the NSW government's "no such thing as safe speeding" reference applies, along with their remarks about "false distinctions" and "dangerous attitudes".

It's just a red herring to focus on a specific stretch of road, as if it were possible to extrapolate from the particular to the general using such an instance.
    You were very explicit: there is no such thing as safe speeding.

I don't care where you got that statement from, you posted it and you were very explicit in claiming it to be reality.

I put it to you that there IS such as thing as safe speeding, both in explicit cases such as the N85 out of Ennis (my example above) and also somewhat more murky cases such as urban peripheries with good visibility and where the driver can clearly see there are no pedestrians/cyclists to worry about.
    The substantial body of research on speed and crash risk is not going to be challenged by your 50 km/h Type 1 DC example.
    You went to great lengths in another thread to point out that I got my driving license in 2008 (I am still waiting for an explanation for that btw). So I have 5 years driving experience of treating other road users, especially children, animals, pedestrians and cyclists with considerable respect. Even still I try to avoid conceit, thinking "I'm a great driver" lest I cause an accident through cockiness; A certain E.J. Smith and crew put to the seas with a new ship in 1912 that they thought 'unsinkable' and we all know how that turned out. :(

This is reflected in my insurance premiums and spotless driving history. So I can safely say from the depths of this experience that when speed limits are broken in a considered way, giving proper regard to the surroundings, that there IS such a thing as safe "speeding."
    If you have a problem with the phrase "there is no such thing as safe speeding" and you can comprehensively refute the notion with your specific example(s) then perhaps you could bring the matter to the attention of the authors of the piece, ie the government of New South Wales.
    I do. And I don't care who originally wrote it - YOU posted it, and I expect YOU to either defend it or withdraw it.
    If people who deliberately break the law are notified in advance of where and when the speed detection operations are, they'll just slow down at those locations and continue breaking the law elsewhere.
    That's not necessarily a bad idea - to have permanent speed traps at accident blackspots. I'll give you one example, Carrickboy, Co. Longford. A village on the N55 with a 60kph speed limit, cars mostly respect it but lorries not so much (from what I remember of a newspaper article some time back) and there is one house in particular that has had repeated occurances of lorries losing control and crashing through their garden wall. Why they've had problems there and not elsewhere on that road I don't know, but it seems to suggest that enforcing the 60kph limit there explicity would gain more than other locations.

This is reflected in my insurance premiums and spotless driving history. So I can safely say from the depths of this experience that when speed limits are broken in a considered way, giving proper regard to the surroundings, that there IS such a thing as safe "speeding."

I do. And I don't care who originally wrote it - YOU posted it, and I expect YOU to either defend it or withdraw it.

I ain't withdrawing nothing, and I've said all I'm going to say on that particular point. So solly. :)

The "spotless driving history" is a good example IMO of the faulty thinking alluded to by, among others, those awful people in NSW.

I presume you're saying that (a) you break the speed limit when you see fit, (b) you haven't had a crash yet, and (c) you haven't received any penalty points or speeding fines yet?

If so, that is not the same as demonstrating that you are absolutely in the right, either in your driving or in your reasoning.

The relative risk of higher versus lower speed is well established, but the absolute risk (ie the probability that an adverse event will occur in, say, a given time period or situation) is much less certain.

161 people died on Irish roads last year, yet hundreds of thousands of us go out every day and drive, cycle or walk without incident.

However, we know from experience (and innumerable Boards threads :) ) that dangerous, careless, inconsiderate or just ordinarily bad driving occurs on a daily basis.

Lots of people believe they are doing nothing wrong because they get home safely and without incident most of the time. Every time they return and park their car outside the house without a scratch on themselves or their motor, and without having had so much as an irritated beep in their direction, they're a little more convinced that they're a good driver. Well above average in fact.

It's possible to be a bad driver for years and never realise it, because it's never demonstrated to you. That's where legislation, enforcement and safer systems are necessary, because feedback and error correction are essential elements in improving driver behaviour.

Effective prevention of road deaths and serious injuries requires a focus on mitigating or eliminating risk factors at population level if at all possible. Speed limits and law enforcement (ideally rigorous, IMO) are essential measures in the attempt to prevent a proportion of people's normally incident-free daily trips turning into something a lot worse.

1-s2.0-S000145751100193X-gr2.jpg

• Advertisement

I ain't withdrawing nothing, and I've said all I'm going to say on that particular point. So solly. :)
    So you are not withdrawing the claim, but not defending it either (because you can't, at least not without waffling). Just as I expected.
    I presume you're saying that (a) you break the speed limit when you see fit, (b) you haven't had a crash yet, and (c) you haven't received any penalty points or speeding fines yet?
    All correct. Though I've passed plenty of speed traps, they've been located in areas where you shouldn't be speeding anyway, and I do not take the piss.
    If so, that is not the same as demonstrating that you are absolutely in the right, either in your driving or in your reasoning.
    Again, I am not suggesting that anyone should race through a city centre at 80kph. I am merely suggesting that:
    1. There are some ridiculous speed limits such as dual carriageways with 50kph limits.
    2. There are some debatable cases where the speed limit does not necessarily reflect safe driving speeds. Examples here would be dual carriageways and some urban outskirts limits.
    However, we know from experience (and innumerable Boards threads :) ) that dangerous, careless, inconsiderate or just ordinarily bad driving occurs on a daily basis.
    Which I try to avoid. As I said, I make it a point to treat other road users with respect.
    Which I also try to avoid.
    It's possible to be a bad driver for years and never realise it, because it's never demonstrated to you.
    It's possible, but you're starting to stretch things here. You do realise that we have a driving test? That you can't just waltz into Tesco and come out with a driving license? And a busy traffic corps?
    1-s2.0-S000145751100193X-gr2.jpg
    What is this trying to say?

Advertisement