Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

30/50kmph limits on any kind of duel carrageway or on/off ramps are pointless.

Is one from the headford to tuam road in galway and it just gets ignored and everyone goes 80-100kmph and it's never enforced, lack of understanding tbh and there is only 1 tiny sign going each way.

Do they want to save lives or make money ? Make up your mind Irish motorists don't want to be "Caught out Oh Ho" we just want reasonable limits to suit the road conditions thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Where does the van be parked exactly?

It does be on the opposite ramp when heading northbound, its usually parked just past the 50 zone, nothing but a money making machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    Here's the 30kph zone at the N3/M50. I was caught on the opposite side but it still shows that 30kph is a joke. I'm thinking the van in front has got caught for speeding before on this stretch as it speeds up once it hits the 50 zone
    Pardon the french by the way :D

What's the problem with the 30 km/h limit here? The video doesn't seem to show anything pass-remarkable, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

It does be on the opposite ramp when heading northbound, its usually parked just past the 50 zone, nothing but a money making machine.

I don't travel that bit too often but I hit the 30kmph section on my way into town (old N3 inbound) every morning but don't know where they could set up there as there's no hard shoulder

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    What's the problem with the 30 km/h limit here? The video doesn't seem to show anything pass-remarkable, imo.

Every other car passes safely at 50 if not more, 30 is a ridiculous limit for an interchange like that, built up areas have higher limits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

I saw a speed camera sign on the N11 (northbound) just before John of Gods. Is this new? I've travelld on this road for 20 years and never saw it before. Are they installing a camera? Or is it a sign to say theres a van about?

I don't travel that bit too often but I hit the 30kmph section on my way into town (old N3 inbound) every morning but don't know where they could set up there as there's no hard shoulder

I have never seen them there to be honest, the northbount exit is just plain stupid though, 100-30 in a few hundred yards

30/50kmph limits on any kind of duel carrageway or on/off ramps are pointless.

Is one from the headford to tuam road in galway and it just gets ignored and everyone goes 80-100kmph and it's never enforced, lack of understanding tbh and there is only 1 tiny sign going each way.

Do they want to save lives or make money ? Make up your mind Irish motorists don't want to be "Caught out Oh Ho" we just want reasonable limits to suit the road conditions thanks

There are also 50 km/h roads in residential areas of Galway City where a large proportion of drivers exceed the speed limit, and where the law is never enforced. That doesn't mean that a 50 km/h speed limit is inappropriate or that the large number of motorists driving much faster than that are being "reasonable".

In the case of the N6 in Galway, the 50 km/h limit may have a bearing on junction capacity, eg those nutty roundabouts at the Menlo Park Hotel and near Tesco (the Bodkin RAB).

The speeds on the 50 km/h Quincentenary Bridge are just ridiculous, and there some who simultaneously argue that the area around the Bodkin Roundabout is overly congested AND needs an 80 km/h speed limit.

Personally I've seen a Garda speed check there only once in the last 5 years or so.

Every other car passes safely at 50 if not more, 30 is a ridiculous limit for an interchange like that, built up areas have higher limits.

Could the 30 km/h limit be for junction capacity reasons? A lower average speed would reduce congestion at a bottleneck if traffic volumes are high.

Could the 30 km/h limit be for junction capacity reasons? A lower average speed would reduce congestion at a bottleneck if traffic volumes are high.

I doubt it, i've never seen any congestion on that ramp or the other one since it was built, i usually stay in the left lane as the right lane only gives you a short distance to safely merge onto the m50 plus i'm taking the next exit anyway.
    Driving at that speed is more dangerous in my opinion as i've already stated, in icy conditions fair enough but that comes automatically with experience. Them limits were probably thought up on a monday morning after the all ireland final :D

• Advertisement

There are also 50 km/h roads in residential areas of Galway City where a large proportion of drivers exceed the speed limit, and where the law is never enforced. That doesn't mean that a 50 km/h speed limit is inappropriate or that the large number of motorists driving much faster than that are being "reasonable".

In the case of the N6 in Galway, the 50 km/h limit may have a bearing on junction capacity, eg those nutty roundabouts at the Menlo Park Hotel and near Tesco (the Bodkin RAB).

The speeds on the 50 km/h Quincentenary Bridge are just ridiculous, and there some who simultaneously argue that the area around the Bodkin Roundabout is overly congested AND needs an 80 km/h speed limit.

Personally I've seen a Garda speed check there only once in the last 5 years or so.

Im not driving on it at those speeds for the craic, it's the correct speed for the road, just look at the other road users on it if you are ever there, i am on it a couple times a day in either my car or a work vehicle of varying sizes.

It just seems like little or no thought has gone into setting the limits up and common sense wasn't even a factor in how they came to be.

Im not driving on it at those speeds for the craic, it's the correct speed for the road, just look at the other road users on it if you are ever there, i am on it a couple times a day in either my car or a work vehicle of varying sizes.

It just seems like little or no thought has gone into setting the limits up and common sense wasn't even a factor in how they came to be.

Thing is, who decides what the "correct speed" for a road is?

For example, there's a housing estate to the left just off the N6 as you head away from the city.

Vehicles have to enter and exit it, as well as pedestrians and cyclists presumably, and 80-100 km/h makes it very dangerous to do so.

I doubt it, i've never seen any congestion on that ramp or the other one since it was built, i usually stay in the left lane as the right lane only gives you a short distance to safely merge onto the m50 plus i'm taking the next exit anyway.
    Driving at that speed is more dangerous in my opinion as i've already stated, in icy conditions fair enough but that comes automatically with experience. Them limits were probably thought up on a monday morning after the all ireland final :D

1. Maybe there's no congestion because the speed limit tends to keep average speeds down?

2. If there only a short distance to safely merge, then does a lower speed limit not make sense in that location?

For example, there's a housing estate to the left just off the N6 as you head away from the city.

Vehicles have to enter and exit it, as well as pedestrians and cyclists presumably, and 80-100 km/h makes it very dangerous to do so.

There are yellow boxes there and traffic will have slowed for the juction to the indicated speed. Most 100km/ph roads have junctions and estates, hardly new.

You strike me as a "It's the limit because they say so" type.

Again my arguement is based on common sense, just drive from Headford to Castlebar on a 100km/ph road "Apparently" if you can keep to the limit and survive you win a medal :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I have never seen them there to be honest, the northbount exit is just plain stupid though, 100-30 in a few hundred yards

I hate that 30kmph section on the inbound N3 and find it very frustrating but after a few hairy incidents I can kind of see why they have it there. On a couple occasions when the traffic is backed up because of the lights at auburn avenue, I've been stopped at the top of the bend and with the high walls, the visibility for cars coming up behind me is limited and on a few occasions cars travelling faster than 50-60 are having to hit the brakes hard to avoid going into the last car in the queue.

1. Maybe there's no congestion because the speed limit tends to keep average speeds down?

2. If there only a short distance to safely merge, then does a lower speed limit not make sense in that location?

1. Judging by my video it doesn't seem to keep the speed down apart from myself and the van in front, even a truck overtakes on the bend.

2. Lower speed entering a motorway where most are doing 100kmh is far more dangerous imo, most motorways have slip roads long enough to let people safely build up speed before merging

• Registered Users Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭SeanW

I've taken that road (N3 inbound) a couple of times in the quieter hours and I was totally perplexed by the 30 kph limit that starts well before the junction and continues past it. Actually, perplexed would be putting mildly, IMO anyone who thinks that speed limit has anything to do with road safety needs their head examined.
    Number 1: There is plenty of space to safely merge IN THE LEFT (I.E. driving) LANE, its only on the right hand lane, (overtaking) that you might have a problem.
    Number 2: Merging onto a motorway you're supposed to do it as quickly as possible. Low speed limits are not only unhelpful in this regard, they're dangerous.
    Yep. That's only the start of his ... unusual ... views on motorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭SeanW

Here's the thing: The vast majority of that section of the N6 has no access, it's wide, somewhat straight, 4 lane, with no housing estates etc.

Like this:
    https://maps.google.ie/maps?q=glenburren+park,+galway&hl=en&ll=53.291817,-9.02508&spn=0.00121,0.002411&sll=53.291771,-9.019604&sspn=0.003425,0.010568&t=h&hnear=Glenburren+Park,+Galway,+County+Galway&layer=c&cbll=53.291817,-9.02508&panoid=ZeJ29-fUIGI30o4E8qclOg&cbp=12,266.05,,0,-0.45&z=19

Yet it presumably has a speed limit of 50kph for the entire length. I can quite understand why motorists would choose to disregard the speed limit on the other parts of that road

Besides, the whole thing is very close to a roundabout, and if there's a problem that roundabout could (in theory) be redone in the Dutch style.

1. Judging by my video it doesn't seem to keep the speed down apart from myself and the van in front, even a truck overtakes on the bend.

2. Lower speed entering a motorway where most are doing 100kmh is far more dangerous imo, most motorways have slip roads long enough to let people safely build up speed before merging

1. That's why enforcement is needed.

2. What is the speed limit on the adjacent stretch of motorway where "most" are doing 100 km/h?

There are yellow boxes there and traffic will have slowed for the juction to the indicated speed. Most 100km/ph roads have junctions and estates, hardly new.

Again my arguement is based on common sense, just drive from Headford to Castlebar on a 100km/ph road "Apparently" if you can keep to the limit and survive you win a medal

"They"?

I generally drive at a speed appropriate for the road I'm on.

If you mean that the general 100 km/h limit on the Headford to Castlebar road is too high, then the obvious response is to drive at a speed that is both legal and appropriate, since the posted limit is AGNAT.

If I'm in a situation where many or most other drivers are driving much faster than the posted limit, my response is not to exceed the legal limit. If I was to do that in my locality, for example, I'd be doing 65-80 km/h in a 50 km/h zone frequented by pedestrians, cyclists and bus users, including lots of children.

This is why enforcement by speed cameras is needed, to deal with the huge numbers of drivers who think they have a right to drive at whatever speed they see fit and/or who feel justified at exceeding the posted speed limit because "everybody else" is doing it.

In my experience of Galway drivers, they often don't slow to an appropriate speed for a junction. In my locality, for example, they drive well in excess of the urban speed limit between junctions (all roundabouts) then go straight through the roundabouts at or near the speed limit for the road itself. As for yellow boxes, would they be the same road markings that are routinely ignored by motorists in Galway City? I was on the Seamus Quirke Road yesterday and a bus couldn't get out of the bus lane because of muppets who drove into the brightly painted and very obvious bus-sized yellow box.

I hate that 30kmph section on the inbound N3 and find it very frustrating but after a few hairy incidents I can kind of see why they have it there. On a couple occasions when the traffic is backed up because of the lights at auburn avenue, I've been stopped at the top of the bend and with the high walls, the visibility for cars coming up behind me is limited and on a few occasions cars travelling faster than 50-60 are having to hit the brakes hard to avoid going into the last car in the queue.

Why is a 30 km/h limit "frustrating" if it serves a genuine function? I don't know that stretch of road, and I haven't seen a StreetView link yet. If it's true that the limit drops from 100 to 30 over a distance that's too short then that should be challenged and reviewed for sure. What's the local authority for that area? They're supposed to have an official record of the 30 km/h imit, and afaik the Councillors would have voted on it.

• Advertisement

1. That's why enforcement is needed.

2. What is the speed limit on the adjacent stretch of motorway where "most" are doing 100 km/h?

100kmh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

This. If your coming from the Naas Road / Auburn Ave, the 30 is actually a life saver. You don't get visibility of on coming traffic until you almost have to merge (Its a very short ramp). I've often had to almost stop for a truck in the left lane or if traffic is busy (Around rush hour) you take your life in your hands with those ignoring the limit. I'm all for decent, reasonable limits but that 30 I actually agree with (Its actually 50 just before you have to merge, so the 30 is actually only for the bend)

Irrelevant tbh. It goes to 50 before you get traffic from your left, and then 80 and then 100. Plenty of time to accelerate and merge. Its not 30 until the motorway.

By the way, why were you getting annoyed in your video? You lost probably about ~15 seconds. I'd watch your clip again to where you exit the motorway, I guarantee you'll find a car and pass them, that passed you on the ramp. I've often 'beaten' people who were 50+ cars ahead of me on the M11/M50 in the morning. Correct lane and intelligent driving will gain more time than being held up momentarily.

I'm all against stupid speed limits and the vans, but there are rare occurrences (About 3 I can count) where I agree with the limits in place. Very few people can see the big picture and self imposed speed limits show complete negligence for others on the roads. But thats the self centred Irish driver for you :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭coolisin

Here's the 30kph zone at the N3/M50. I was caught on the opposite side but it still shows that 30kph is a joke. I'm thinking the van in front has got caught for speeding before on this stretch as it speeds up once it hits the 50 zone
    Pardon the french by the way :D

This company has GPS tracked and monitored vans which knows the speed limit of where they are and apparently have a zero tolerance approach to speeding.
    So for the sake of his job he has to drive at the posted speed limit.
    They are not even allowed brake hard or the office will know and they will have to explain why they were driving.

I attended a RSA driving for work conference and this company had a rep talking about their road safety policy.

SeanW wrote: »
    Besides, the whole thing is very close to a roundabout, and if there's a problem that roundabout could (in theory) be redone in the Dutch style.
    That style of roundabout would be an accident waiting to happen in Ireland.

They tried to implement something like this already in Ireland, and it failed miserably. It caused multiple accidents.

The Irish way of doing this is simply idiotic and the person who approved this design deserves to be sacked! The council are redoing this roundabout ATM.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

That style of roundabout would be an accident waiting to happen in Ireland.

They tried to implement something like this already in Ireland, and it failed miserably. It caused multiple accidents.

The Irish way of doing this is simply idiotic and the person who approved this design deserves to be sacked! The council are redoing this roundabout ATM.

The two designs are miles different.
    It caused multiple accidents.

Can you back that up?

monument wrote: »
    The two designs are miles different.
    I know, which is why I said "the Irish way" of implementation.
    Can you back that up?
    Not reputable news sources, since RTCs which don't involve death/serious injury rarely get reported, but of I know at least one collision occurred between a skip truck and a cyclist.

I found these two posts after a quick google, as I sad not truly "reputable" but if accidents didn't occur, they why would the council bother to change it after spending €275k to make the changes in the first place.
    http://www.facebook.com/naturenurturepetstore/posts/564343093579365
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81438715&postcount=255

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

The issue isn't design, its driver awareness. Most drivers just cannot cope with the multiple inputs of modern day driving. I often ask people I'm driving with where there focus is and its generally just the car ahead. Most Irish drivers cannot anticipate driving conditions beyond the immediate and the obvious.

By the way, are you deliberately cycling around a roundabout to get that video? Thats ridiculous to be honest. The sign says 'Yield to Cyclists' but traffic is coming from your right so you have a duty of care to avoid it. The fact that traffic should yield to you gives no right to blatantly ignore an oncoming car. You obviously look right, see the Blue scenic and carry on to make a point. Shameful carry on. And people wonder why motorists have no time for cyclists?

Not reputable news sources, since RTCs which don't involve death/serious injury rarely get reported, but of I know at least one collision occurred between a skip truck and a cyclist.

I found these two posts after a quick google, as I sad not truly "reputable" but if accidents didn't occur, they why would the council bother to change it after spending €275k to make the changes in the first place.
    http://www.facebook.com/naturenurturepetstore/posts/564343093579365
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81438715&postcount=255

Nothing there to suggest the design was at fault or that these accidents (or worse) could / would not have happened on the old design.

ironclaw wrote: »
    The issue isn't design, its driver awareness. Most drivers just cannot cope with the multiple inputs of modern day driving. I often ask people I'm driving with where there focus is and its generally just the car ahead. Most Irish drivers cannot anticipate driving conditions beyond the immediate and the obvious.
    Yeah, good points. The Dutch model is fine, which is probably why the council are updating the roundabout to make it more like the Dutch design. The way it was initially implemented was not safe IMO.
    By the way, are you deliberately cycling around a roundabout to get that video? Thats ridiculous to be honest. The sign says 'Yield to Cyclists' but traffic is coming from your right so you have a duty of care to avoid it. The fact that traffic should yield to you gives no right to blatantly ignore an oncoming car. You obviously look right, see the Blue scenic and carry on to make a point. Shameful carry on. And people wonder why motorists have no time for cyclists?
    It's not my video. I just got it from a google of "killiney towers roundabout".

• Advertisement

Yeah, good points. The Dutch model is fine, which is probably why the council are updating the roundabout to make it more like the Dutch design. The way it was initially implemented was not safe IMO

The new design is even less Dutch.

Advertisement