Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭buzzing147

If you are subject to them. ;)

Is it possible to just get the fine, and not the penalty points?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

If you don't have an irish licence.

Im just hopeing the black van was a survey van, otherwise ill be expecting a fine and points too, im sure the 10% minus 2 points wont work when youre going over 80 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

If you don't have an irish licence.
    Are you sure?

Heard rumours that every non-Irish licence driver here has his/her own record created at first offence, used later to collect points. If amount of penalty points goes beyond allowed limit, driver is invited to a court to get banned from driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 tomo247

Well lads

I was just wondering does anybody know when does a GoSafe van camera flash if it's taking a picture of you specifically?
    Does it happen when u are within say 5-10metres? or maybe 70-80metres?
    And before anyone says that it uses an IR flash, the little black box on the top left of the rear of the van DEFINITELY flashed numerous times in my run up to it. Should add, it was a busy dual carraigeway, and it only flashed a few times when i was about 100-75 metres away!
    I am just curious, as I was doing about 106km/h in a 100km/h zone. Not trying to dodge any tickets/points, just curious.

Cheers!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Saw a Go Safe van parked in this gateway earlier today on theKingscourt road outside Navan. First time I've ever seen a van on that road since they were introduced. Must have been there a good hour at least, it was still there when I was returning to work

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭steps_3314

Was coming up the Mallow road today and approaching a section where there was a fast lane so accelerated from 100-120 into the Fast lane to get ahead and pull back in again. Out of sight was a speeding van and a blue light flashed on the van.

Pretty sure i was caught but not sure what the blue light means. Deserve the fine/points tbh but was suprised to see the van so near to where alot of cars would need to pick up the speed to make use of the fast lane with the intention of pulling back in and doing the 100km.

Also wondering if the van can focus on 2 cars in line with each other (one car in the normal lane, and the other car in the fast lane)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

steps_3314 wrote: »
    Was coming up the Mallow road today and approaching a section where there was a fast lane so accelerated from 100-120 into the Fast lane to get ahead and pull back in again. Out of sight was a speeding van and a blue light flashed on the van.

Pretty sure i was caught but not sure what the blue light means. Deserve the fine/points tbh but was suprised to see the van so near to where alot of cars would need to pick up the speed to make use of the fast lane with the intention of pulling back in and doing the 100km.

Also wondering if the van can focus on 2 cars in line with each other (one car in the normal lane, and the other car in the fast lane)

They don't flash blue. Ever. Most don't flash at all, it's IR which is invisible.

And there's no such thing as a 'fast lane' Absolutely shocking people use and believe that term exists. It's an overtaking lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

ironclaw wrote: »
    For what must be the 100,000,000th time on this thread
    • GoSafe Van, Fully Marked, In A GoSafe Zone = Can Issue A Fine

The GoSafe van can be anywhere and issue a fine, it doesn't have to be in a "GoSafe Zone"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

The GoSafe van can be anywhere and issue a fine, it doesn't have to be in a "GoSafe Zone"

worms.jpg

• Advertisement

That is utterly, utterly false. Its a direct contradiction to this:
    How will people know where the cameras will be?

GoSafe will only operate on sections of road which have a history of collisions occurring where speed was a contributory factor. The areas where the cameras are operating are available on the Garda website – www.garda.ie.

Link: http://www.garda.ie/Documents/User/Safety%20Cameras%20FAQ.doc

Take your rubbish, scare mongering and rumour elsewhere. You shouldn't even be on this thread given you'd have a commercial interest in promoting a fear factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

ironclaw wrote: »
    That is utterly, utterly false. Its a direct contradiction to this:

Link: http://www.garda.ie/Documents/User/Safety%20Cameras%20FAQ.doc

Take your rubbish, scare mongering and rumour elsewhere. You shouldn't even be on this thread given you'd have a commercial interest in promoting a fear factor.

So because the Garda website states it, it must be true. :rolleyes:

We have lots of reports from our members of GoSafe cameras operating outside the so-called "GoSafe Zones". Here is just one example:

http://www.irishspeedtraps.com/mapShowLocation.aspx?Id=1713

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

We have lots of reports from our members of GoSafe cameras operating outside the so-called "GoSafe Zones". Here is just one example:

http://www.irishspeedtraps.com/mapShowLocation.aspx?Id=1713

You're doubting the Garda website but are taking a contribution from some random bloke who signed up to your website as gospel?

What's to say that wasn't a GoSafe van but a Garda one?

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭El.duderino

Can new radar guns photo reg etc. Fine in post job? I was got by garda in car. But he didnt chase and issue ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭blackwhite

You're doubting the Garda website but are taking a contribution from some random bloke who signed up to your website as gospel?

What's to say that wasn't a GoSafe van but a Garda one?

From the description on the website I'd say it was a GoSafe operator parked up to get his lunch

Yeah, something along those lines. I normally trust the content of official governmental websites.
    We have lots of reports from our members of GoSafe cameras operating outside the so-called "GoSafe Zones"

Are these members trained to tell the difference between a marked GoSafe Van, an unmarked GoSafe survey van, a marked Garda van or an unmarked Garda van? No. That's the bottom line.

We often get people here totally freaked out because they past a parked Garda SUV or what they thought was a 'radar gun'

VERY few people in this country can spot a van, let alone tell the difference. There's maybe 4 or 5 people on this forum who can effectively tell the difference. GoSafe vans themselves are actually entirely different. The GoSafe survey vans and the fine issuing vans actually use entirely different radar systems.

I respect what your doing with your product but using member testimonials as the basis of an argument is frankly ridiculous.

If someone can produce evidence they were fined by a GoSafe van outside the marked GoSafe zones, I'll happily retract the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

If parking on a footpath is illegal ( I think might be confusing)How bout a Garda Speed van parking on one ?? Half on half off.

If parking on a footpath is illegal ( I think might be confusing)How bout a Garda Speed van parking on one ?? Half on half off.
    They are exempt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

They are exempt.

And regularly abuse the privilege, or at least avail of it without needing to.

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    And regularly abuse the privilege, or at least avail of it without needing to.

Well its 4 weeks today since i passed that black speedvan/survey van and still no ticket, maybe i got away with it, hopefully.

• Advertisement

If the car is properly registered to you, I would think at this stage you are safe enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭DEVEREUX

These are a pair of cameras of which there are now three sets installed in last few weeks on the m3 southbound from kells.

Anyone any information as to what there purpose is (hoping their not speed cameras) and when they go live if not already?

Traffic management cameras.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Traffic management cameras.
    Traffic management? Sure there's no traffic on the M3!

Traffic management? Sure there's no traffic on the M3!

They might be able to manage it so.

Wow the boys:cool: are out really making money this month!!Must be a lot of Christmas presents to be bought:D:D:D

Wow the boys:cool: are out really making money this month!!Must be a lot of Christmas presents to be bought:D:D:D

Who's giving them the money?

And who's got it to give away?

Certainly not me...

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Who's giving them the money?

And who's got it to give away?

Certainly not me...

the people they catch when they are hiding behind cars catching people doing 54 in a 50zone. i know no one has it. i know.(not going arguing)

catching people doing 54 in a 50 zone.

Try paying €150 for your TV licence instead of the required €160 and see how much leeway they're willing to give you...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

the people they catch when they are hiding behind cars catching people doing 54 in a 50zone. i know no one has it. i know.(not going arguing)

I've never ever ever seen proof that people are being done for such low tolerances.

Advertisement