Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

pa990 wrote: »
    as far as i know, there is only one spot in cobh where the van parks up, (opp the golf course)
    thats definitely a 60km zone

X2^. Ive seen it there also and its in the 60km zone by the golf course.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sparkthatbled

I saw one in a very sneaky spot last weekend. Coming off the M50 north at blanchardstown and taking the ramp towards blanch. When you hit the ramp, the limit drops from 100 to 30 and right there was a Garda speed van. First of all, wtf is the limit 30 for on a freeflow ramp with no traffic lights etc at the end of it? Second of all, it's impossible to safely slow down by 70kph that suddenly. I hit the brakes as hard as i could without skidding and was still doing 40 (and dropping) as i passed the van. Nothing through the door yet,but if something does come is it worth challenging on the grounds that the slowdown there is unsafe? Seriously, if everyone slowed down as quickly as it demands there would be a pile-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I saw one in a very sneaky spot last weekend. Coming off the M50 north at blanchardstown and taking the ramp towards blanch. When you hit the ramp, the limit drops from 100 to 30 and right there was a Garda speed van. First of all, wtf is the limit 30 for on a freeflow ramp with no traffic lights etc at the end of it? Second of all, it's impossible to safely slow down by 70kph that suddenly. I hit the brakes as hard as i could without skidding and was still doing 40 (and dropping) as i passed the van. Nothing through the door yet,but if something does come is it worth challenging on the grounds that the slowdown there is unsafe? Seriously, if everyone slowed down as quickly as it demands there would be a pile-up.

Yeah, that 30 zone is ridiculous. 30 in general is ridiculous. All ramps on the M50 should be at least 50 as to be fair some are fairly sharp for the less conscience drivers.

Were they right at the sign? If its any conciliation, you were probably doing closer to 36km/h if you speedo was showing 40. I doubt you'll get a fine, there looking for people doing 60+ off the motorway.

ironclaw wrote: »
    Yeah, that 30 zone is ridiculous. 30 in general is ridiculous. All ramps on the M50 should be at least 50 as to be fair some are fairly sharp for the less conscience drivers.

Were they right at the sign? If its any conciliation, you were probably doing closer to 36km/h if you speedo was showing 40. I doubt you'll get a fine, there looking for people doing 60+ off the motorway.

It was approx 20 metres beyond the first 30 sign. Everyone was jamming on as much as possible but a 30 limit on those sliproads, as you say, is ridiculous.
    I always thought you could only make it 30 in car parks and housing estates and the lowest possible limit on a public road is 50 and that being only in built up areas.

I've seen a few cynically placed vans over the past couple of years (at the bottom of steep hills etc), but this one really takes the gold!

It was approx 20 metres beyond the first 30 sign. Everyone was jamming on as much as possible but a 30 limit on those sliproads, as you say, is ridiculous.
    I always thought you could only make it 30 in car parks and housing estates and the lowest possible limit on a public road is 50 and that being only in built up areas.

I've seen a few cynically placed vans over the past couple of years (at the bottom of steep hills etc), but this one really takes the gold!

I would have got the reg, and rang in a 'White Transit' causing an obstruction / danger of traffic which is a perfectly legitimate observation if true. At the very least it would get the Traffic Corp out to investigate.

By the way, you positive it was a speed van? Garda signage etc?

• Advertisement

It was an unmarked white transit but definitely had all the gear in the back window.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,039 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Most of the city centre in Dublin has a 30 km/h limit. Drivers have been caught on the quays, and possibly elsewhere.

I can't see how an immediate speed limit reduction from 100 km/h to 30 km/h could stand up in court, tbh.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

30 km/h is oficially classed as a "Special Speed Limit" in legislation.

Whether it's permanent or for temporary roadworks, a 30 km/h special speed limit must be specified in a bye-law by the local authority for the area.

If it's true that there's a sharp drop from 100 to 30 km/h in this location, then I would challenge that, regardless of whether I got a speeding ticket or not. I'm no roads/traffic engineer, but it sounds inappropriate to me.

Is it a permanent limit, ie not for roadworks? If so, can anyone link to the spot on StreetView?

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    30 km/h is oficially classed as a "Special Speed Limit" in legislation.

Whether it's permanent or for temporary roadworks, a 30 km/h special speed limit must be specified in a bye-law by the local authority for the area.

If it's true that there's a sharp drop from 100 to 30 km/h in this location, then I would challenge that, regardless of whether I got a speeding ticket or not. I'm no roads/traffic engineer, but it sounds inappropriate to me.

Is it a permanent limit, ie not for roadworks? If so, can anyone link to the spot on StreetView?
    I can't get link as I'm on the phone, but just look at junction 7 of the M50.

It seems it drops to 50km, and then to 30 (Northbound, Soundbound isn't finished on StreetView). Still, wouldn't get that slow with braking quite hard. It's a sharp bend and the 30km limit it for when it rains etc.

Actually, I took that very ramp again yesterday (very slowly ;) ) and noticed a half-faded 50kph (could be 60, not sure as it's too faded to tell) painted on the road at the very start of the ramp, approx 50m before the 30kph sign. It still doesn't seem right, paint fades, they should have an actual sign saying 50.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Got a fine in the post for 'speeding' coming off the M50 slip road onto the N3. Limit goes from 100-80-50-30 in the space of about 200 metres. Its actually more dangerous in my opinion trying to drive up and around that hill at 30kmh.

There was a good bit of traffic on the road doing the same speed as myself if not faster so i'd imagine it was a very profitable day seeing as the van was there for at least 5 hours

EDIT - Just read a few other posts on this. Come to think of it the van did look more like it was parked at the 30 sign so would be targeted on cars in the 50 zone.

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    Got a fine in the post for 'speeding' coming off the M50 slip road onto the N3. Limit goes from 100-80-50-30 in the space of about 200 metres. Its actually more dangerous in my opinion trying to drive up and around that hill at 30kmh.

There was a good bit of traffic on the road doing the same speed as myself if not faster so i'd imagine it was a very profitable day seeing as the van was there for at least 5 hours

EDIT - Just read a few other posts on this. Come to think of it the van did look more like it was parked at the 30 sign so would be targeted on cars in the 50 zone.
    Email the RSA and ask them what is the safe stopping/slowing down distance for going from 100km to 30km.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Garda speed van on the M1 at the very end of the roadworks at J4 NB last week, between 50 & 100m before the end of the 60km/h speed limit. Very sneaky.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭buttercups88

did anyone happen to see a speed van on M1 southbound this morning between 10 and 11am just between ramp on from swords and airport?? could have sworn i seen a flash but didnt see a van

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Garda Speed Van on the grass along the N81 between M50 roundabout and Spawell, catching city bound traffic.

did anyone happen to see a speed van on M1 southbound this morning between 10 and 11am just between ramp on from swords and airport?? could have sworn i seen a flash but didnt see a van

Dunno how true it is but i heard they rigged up a speed camera in a "portaloo" where the roadworks are on the m1. Emphasis on not knowing if it's true, but the guards are purportedly starting to think outside the box (or the van, as it were) in various places.

Dunno how true it is but i heard they rigged up a speed camera in a "portaloo" where the roadworks are on the m1. Emphasis on not knowing if it's true, but the guards are purportedly starting to think outside the box (or the van, as it were) in various places.

None of that tech here in Ireland yet. But they do exist around the world. Holland have them in wheelie bins for example:

germany-speed-camera.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,539 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

[...] Holland have them in wheelie bins for example:

[...]

Maybe Holland have them - photo shows German cop. :D

joujoujou wrote: »
    Maybe Holland have them - photo shows German cop. :D

Missed that! Just happened to read an article a few years back and quickly Google'd for a pic. Germany probably have them as well as I'm fairly sure the Netherlands and Denmark produce a lot of the equipment along with the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

BMJD wrote: »
    Garda speed van on the M1 at the very end of the roadworks at J4 NB last week, between 50 & 100m before the end of the 60km/h speed limit. Very sneaky.

Not really sneaky, there are enough warning signs of the possibility of cameras ahead, so no real complaint if anyone is caught. Travel that road twice a day and in fairness with a 60 kph limit most people tend to stay under 80kph. I'd imagine that with irish drivers being the way we are, seeing an 80kph limit, we add 10kph, push it to 15kph and reckon we'd be alright at 100kph.

I therefore have no problem with the 60kph limit. The delay at having to do the limit is barely into minutes for the lenght of roadworks and with heavy traffic why worry that you're only doing 60kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭smilgy

Are fines issued from these speed vans for just being slightly over the limit? I.e. the limit is 80 and your detected at 82. If not, what is the cut off ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The Garda van was on the N3 next to Blanch tonight where the roadworks (60) are, dual carriageway normally 100 with a single line of cones in the shoulder.

I'm glad the vans protecting them cones from speeders.

smilgy wrote: »
    Are fines issued from these speed vans for just being slightly over the limit? I.e. the limit is 80 and your detected at 82. If not, what is the cut off ?

This has been done to death but there are two things in your favor:

1) Your Speedo - It probably gives you a higher speed than you are actually going. Normally in the range of 5 to 10%, and gets 'worse' the faster your are travelling. At 80km/h on your speedo, your true speed is probably closer to 76km/h.

2) Unconfirmed reports say that GoSafe give a 2km/k leeway (Some other guys here can confirm that, it used to 4km/h I think. Or it was 8km/h and reduced to 4km/h. Too early to remember! :) ) I'd imagine Garda vans are probably the same. Its certainly not 'bang on' 81km/h in a 80km/h section for a fine, that's too close a tolerance.

Combining the two however, to be issued a ticket for 82km/h in an 80km/h section, your speedo would probably be showing 86km/h or more. So you know your over and well over. That's why I encourage people to learn your true speed or drive by a combination of GPS & Speedo. At least you know your under if you ever pass one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

That's why I encourage people to learn your true speed or drive by a combination of GPS & Speedo. At least you know your under if you ever pass one.

I don't know anything about GPS in cars but considering the earth is moving and the satellites are in orbit around the earth meaning that at some times there might not be enough satellites overhead to give an accurate reading, can that be relied upon 100%? Just asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭smilgy

Perfect. Thank you !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

liamog wrote: »
    The Garda van was on the N3 next to Blanch tonight where the roadworks (60) are, dual carriageway normally 100 with a single line of cones in the shoulder.

I'm glad the vans protecting them cones from speeders.

I have no problem with this at all. They're operating in an area where roadworks are taking place. Just because there's no workers there doesn't mean there's no debris, cones to hit etc. The reduced speed is well signposted, in this case there's a reason for the low limit, protecting the cones aint one of them.

Mr Simpson wrote: »
    I have no problem with this at all. They're operating in an area where roadworks are taking place. Just because there's no workers there doesn't mean there's no debris, cones to hit etc. The reduced speed is well signposted, in this case there's a reason for the low limit, protecting the cones aint one of them.

While I agree people should slow down in these areas, 60km/h outside of work hours is stupid. They should follow worldwide examples where the speed limit is higher outside of core work e.g. 80km/h from 6pm to 6am (But fines are doubled during e.g. most US States) The van is only there at night for revenue as to me, at that point in time, its not 'saving' anyone or promoting safety. If they want to make a difference, they should be there during the day when currently zero enforcement takes place. You often see the US cops during the day at constructions zones for the safety of the workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Here's the 30kph zone at the N3/M50. I was caught on the opposite side but it still shows that 30kph is a joke. I'm thinking the van in front has got caught for speeding before on this stretch as it speeds up once it hits the 50 zone
    Pardon the french by the way :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    Here's the 30kph zone at the N3/M50. I was caught on the opposite side but it still shows that 30kph is a joke. I'm thinking the van in front has got caught for speeding before on this stretch as it speeds up once it hits the 50 zone
    Pardon the french by the way :D

Where does the van be parked exactly?

Advertisement