Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

SeanW wrote: »
    And a busy traffic corps?

What is this trying to say?

I sincerely hope they're being busy enough to encounter you on one of your 'safe speeding' trips.

The illustration, which I would have thought was self-explanatory in the present context, is a variation on the "accident pyramid" commonly seen the in workplace safety environment.

The general concept is that there is a large number of incidents occurring which do not lead to serious adverse events, but that there is a connection ("continuum") between severe and less-severe events.

risk_pyramid.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭SeanW

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    I sincerely hope they're being busy enough to encounter you on one of your 'safe speeding' trips.
    Just as, I am sure, you hope they are camping on the N85 dual carriageway by Ennis, and other grade separated dual carriageways?
    The illustration, which I would have thought was self-explanatory in the present context, is a variation on the "accident pyramid" commonly seen the in workplace safety environment.
    Yes, I figured it was some kind of pyramid of consequences showing that accidents are not, strictly speaking the only thing to be concerned about.

What I did not get was:
    1. What the hell is an "Undisturbed passage?"
    2. How does it relate to, for example, someone "speeding" at 55kph on the DC going by Ennis? Or other examples of questionable limits? How, specifically, does it relate to driving at all?

Iwannahurl wrote:
    Just as, I am sure, you hope they are camping on the N85 dual carriageway by Ennis, and other grade separated dual carriageways?
    Never mind, I already know the answer to that question.

You may get your wish, eventually I might get done doing 10k over on a grade separated dual carriageway. Heck I might even be going by Ennis on a certain dual carriageway. Then you'll be doing a war dance over your axe-grinding machine. :rolleyes:

But while we're wishing each other ill, I hope that when that happens, you'll be driving, rigorously watching your speedometer, lose control for some reason and crash, preferably down an embankment, hopefully breaking a few bones. That will knock you off your high horse and you'll learn that there is a LOT more to safe driving than matching some numbers on a sign.

But while we're wishing each other ill, I hope that when that happens, you'll be driving, rigorously watching your speedometer, lose control for some reason and crash, preferably down an embankment, hopefully breaking a few bones. That will knock you off your high horse and you'll learn that there is a LOT more to safe driving than matching some numbers on a sign.

Charming! :)

However, your post neatly encapsulates a lot of faulty thinking and dodgy attitudes about driving, speed, speed surveillance and traffic law enforcement generally.

If you break the law and you are caught fairly and squarely, then that is not bad luck or an otherwise negative outcome. It is proper order and it serves a useful societal purpose.

To equate being caught breaking the law with crashing and breaking bones is just stupid, to be quite frank about it.

Hi-yo Silver, away! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 joejoegetback

I was out for a walk this evening along conyngham road in Dublin 8 and saw this totally unmarked van flashing away at the cars coming towards it heading into town. The van was parked at the other side of the road, but this totally unmarked van was parked half on the bus stop the other half on the double yellow line are they allowed to do this? Saw about 6 people in about 10 mins that got flashed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Thats a Garda van. Interesting note is they themselves are committing an offence by parking on yellow lines so if it was GoSafe you may be able to challenge any ticket. But I believe Gardai are exempt from Traffic laws in the line of duty so its legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

Garda vehicles exempt from road traffic regulations when in the course of their duties.

completely legal.

but the speeding was completely illegal.

so. .... what's the better of two evils

pa990 wrote: »
    Garda vehicles exempt from road traffic regulations when in the course of their duties.

I had heard that before but wasn't sure of it nor could I find the act. Thanks for confirming it.

But I also remember hearing that an offence could not be committed in catching an offence (As an abstract example, an illegal wiretap would be inadmissible in court) Now, given that GoSafe are a private company and not except from Road Traffic laws, if they committed an offence (i.e. Parked on double yellows, stopped on a motorway etc etc) in the course of their duties, is that a null and void ticket?

ironclaw wrote: »

I had heard that before but wasn't sure of it nor could I find the act. Thanks for confirming it.

But I also remember hearing that an offence could not be committed in catching an offence (As an abstract example, an illegal wiretap would be inadmissible in court) Now, given that GoSafe are a private company and not except from Road Traffic laws, if they committed an offence (i.e. Parked on double yellows, stopped on a motorway etc etc) in the course of their duties, is that a null and void ticket?

that's one for a judge to decide

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Dellony25

Just wondering are all there vans white?? Was driving into college today in Sligo and I'm pretty sure I was over the limit when I seen this black 10 KY van! There was no markings regarding to speed cameras on it that I seen off but it did have a reflective red strip around it! Could this be one of the speed vans??

• Advertisement

Dellony25 wrote: »
    Just wondering are all there vans white?? Was driving into college today in Sligo and I'm pretty sure I was over the limit when I seen this black 10 KY van! There was no markings regarding to speed cameras on it that I seen off but it did have a reflective red strip around it! Could this be one of the speed vans??

Have a look at the first post.

But yes, GoSafe vans (Nearly all KY reg and very new i.e. 2010) come in a myriad of colors including white, red, green and black. Nearly all Garda vans are Ford Transits and they are white.

I'd be fairly certain the van your talking about was a GoSafe van.

Dellony25 wrote: »
    This may be a stupid question, but did it have tinted windows at the back, just plain metal doors? Also how big was the van?

The GoSh*t vans I've seen (in Co. Laois) were about 1/2 - 3/4 the size of a large van (that being like the guards Ford Transits I guess), more like a small van, and were in red.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

ARE most of the vans KY registered ?

Yep, GoSafe office is in Kerry. Everyone i have seen has been KY reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

cisk wrote: »
    Yep, GoSafe office is in Kerry. Everyone i have seen has been KY reg.

8146152295_0c103f4efb_z.jpg

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Barlivia

I've seen them in KY, LK and KK reg so it varies.

That van the guy a few posts back saw in Sligo was a survey van he's nothing to worry about

mb1725 wrote: »

//GoSafe Pic

Probably the best photo of one on the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭tommyh1977

Hi, can't find the answer on thread, but apologies if already answered. Do the Go Safe Vans monitor the speed of the zone where they are parked. Example is Banogue in Co. Limerick. Village is 50KPH. As you leave the village heading for Cork you round a bend onto a straight stretch, the 50's continue around this bend for about 50mtrs into the straight, then increase to 100kph. Speed van is always parked at the top of this straight stretch, just wondering is he monitoring people over 50kph as they round the bend, or monitoring the 100kph zone after the bend, the zone which he is parked in. The van is parked about 300 mtr from the sign where the limits increase to 100. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭mikeecho

tommyh1977 wrote: »
    Hi, can't find the answer on thread, but apologies if already answered. Do the Go Safe Vans monitor the speed of the zone where they are parked. Example is Banogue in Co. Limerick. Village is 50KPH. As you leave the village heading for Cork you round a bend onto a straight stretch, the 50's continue around this bend for about 50mtrs into the straight, then increase to 100kph. Speed van is always parked at the top of this straight stretch, just wondering is he monitoring people over 50kph as they round the bend, or monitoring the 100kph zone after the bend, the zone which he is parked in. The van is parked about 300 mtr from the sign where the limits increase to 100. Any ideas?

as stated many times, the range of the van is very limited. it wil be monitoring the 100km zone.
    The van only has a range of a few car lengths (explained in more dept earlier in this thread)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 theRed73

Just got a fine in the door for doing 76 in a 60 but I'm convinced the van was parked in a 80 kph zone. At least it was when passed it on the way to Cobh an hour beforehand. How do they determine the location... GPS or manually?
    If it was in a 60 then fair enough I have no quibble but I'm 99% certain it wasn't. Can I request the GPS coordinates if they use that or do i have to go to court to find out if I'm right or wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

theRed73 wrote: »
    Just got a fine in the door for doing 76 in a 60 but I'm convinced the van was parked in a 80 kph zone. At least it was when passed it on the way to Cobh an hour beforehand. How do they determine the location... GPS or manually?
    If it was in a 60 then fair enough I have no quibble but I'm 99% certain it wasn't. Can I request the GPS coordinates if they use that or do i have to go to court to find out if I'm right or wrong?

The vans often move about quickly, if where you spotted it when passing before hand is all you're going on, it's not much.

Unless you have a DVR, you'd need to go to court. If it was during the day (or night) you can request the bigger photo (Not just the reg) and you could try work out where it is.

I sincerely doubt they were in the wrong position as they are very strict about it but mistakes do happen. But if your any way doubtful you can take the gamble. I'd request the photo and if your doubtful after that I'd get a solicitor to request the van position. If that's a no joy, you'll probably end up in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Saw a speed camera van heading into Galway with lines of traffic behind it, dont they only catch you when they set the van up in a speed location and not when the van is driving.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Saw a speed camera van heading into Galway with lines of traffic behind it, dont they only catch you when they set the van up in a speed location and not when the van is driving.

Only when stopped.

/Insert common sense.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Saw a speed camera van heading into Galway with lines of traffic behind it.

Was the GoSafe van travelling at or below the speed limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Been one of these near where i work on the Headford road in Galway, red in colour outside the Corrib truck centre.

Also thanks to the E39 driver who flashed me but i don't really peg it down that road as it's so narrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭Totofan99

Was the van parked in the usual spot on the Fota road? Just across from the golf course? If it was there, then that's definitely a 60kph zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Was the GoSafe van travelling at or below the speed limit?

Hard to say I was going the other way but it looked ok speed wise, but it was gas to look at the two lanes of traffic all the way behind him and afraid to pass him out

Yes, I recognise that phenomenon. In my neck of the woods driving at the speed limit on 50 km/h local roads is a guaranteed way to create a convoy.

• Advertisement

as far as i know, there is only one spot in cobh where the van parks up, (opp the golf course)
    thats definitely a 60km zone

Advertisement