Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭mycro89

Can anyone explain what the Flash at 18 seconds into the video below is about? Did the driver get penalty points? I've heard speed vans flash and was wondering if this is the flash that offending motorist would see from the speed vans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1y6ycG9zgk

Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Headlight reflection.

Headlight reflection.

If it is the Headlight reflection, is it within that Zone that it would record the offence if one was speeding? Or would the offence be recorded in advance of getting as close to the van?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

I don't think that it's headlight reflection, I've seen it activate at cars going away from the rear of the van.
    I don't know what it is, but it's not the actual IR flash, maybe it's some kind of preflash, maybe.

Has anyone here got penalty points after seeing such a light? As per the one in the video?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

hahaha It likes old times here the arguing between i wanna hurl & Tragedy.. like cylcopath & other ones were@ before he got booted...

hahaha It likes old times here the arguing between i wanna hurl & Tragedy.. like cylcopath & other ones were@ before he got booted...
    Knock it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Jack breen

pa990 wrote: »
    I don't think that it's headlight reflection, I've seen it activate at cars going away from the rear of the van.
    I don't know what it is, but it's not the actual IR flash, maybe it's some kind of preflash, maybe.

Is there any flash from the go safe van so?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Jack breen wrote: »
    Is there any flash from the go safe van so?

For the 100th million-th time. No. Its infrared so you cannot see it with your own eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Jack breen

ironclaw wrote: »
    For the 100th million-th time. No. Its infrared so you cannot see it with your own eyes.

I only asked once.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Jack breen wrote: »
    I only asked once.;)

Unfortunately it's not the only thing that has to be restated 100,000,000 times... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,054 ✭✭✭mikeecho

The GoSafe cameras use a RedFlex RadarCam, which incorporates the AGD340 radar system, its the same system as seen @ 1:05 min
    With slight setup changes for the irish market/weather

The GoSafe contract is for 6 Years and will expire in Nov 2017

So, from 2017, we might see some of these technologies rolled out on irish roads, or by then the technologies may be even more advanced

. be afraid, be very afraid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Gibbonw2

@ Ironclaw i only just read your reply. Who said I was or wasnt over the limit? I merely said I was hovering between 40 and 50. It takes weeks for the letter to come out so im still unsure. I personally think speed vans are a good idea as they have improved awareness but their location/lack of common sense when it comes to their no appeals on minute discretions/blanket punishments and their hiding in the shadows is a joke. I know there are changes on the way but until they adress these shortcomings the majority of roadusers will be dismayed at the revenue reasoning behind speed cameras. And more importantly the true abusers of road safety will be treated the same as people who commit extremely minor transgressions such as 55 in a 50 zone etc.

iF ur a Td,Journalist or rugby player Uwill get away with it so dont need to worry :p:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

If they are for safety, and are go safe vans, and not for revenue - the camera that flash your speed back to you on a sign are much more effective.
    This is why I believe that the vans are purely for revenue purposes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

iF ur a Td,Journalist or rugby player Uwill get away with it so dont need to worry :p:p:p

Obviously the "proper" people in Irish society need to be protected in order to do their jobs!
    What those jobs are? How dare us plebs question the obviously vastly superior cream of society, they have far more important things to do than to stand around explaining themselves to the great unwashed.
    It makes me sad that this country freed itself from oppression only to be ruled by a bunch of halfwits and inbred morons (this is what I call the leading "elite" of this country when I'm in a good mood) who handed the country over on a plate to the Germans.
    I am German and it disgusts me.
    Why there aren't heads on spikes outside Dublin Castle and a few bridges crossing the Liffey in Dublin, I simply cannot fathom.
    Ah well, as long a a few billionaire bankers get yet a few more billions, I guess it's alright that the we are paying for it.
    Forget protests, it has been shown that you can protest all you want and other than trashing the place, it achieves nothing.
    But if people decided to stop drinking, smoking, driving and those in massive negative equity stopped paying their stupid mortgages, the government would be prepared to listen to terms within a fortnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wtlltw

stoneill wrote: »
    the camera that flash your speed back to you on a sign are much more effective.

I drove past one of them the other day. I had the cruise control set at 100km on a 100km road, it displayed the car was doing 108km??

And to make matters worse I drove through a 50km zone to suddenly see a 100km sign post, I sped up to only realise the council had been too lazy to remove the old signs.

Are there any active fixed speed cameras on the M50 these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

No, gantry and lines are there but no cameras yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,269 ✭✭✭Damien360

No. Lines marked northbound just before M1 exit but no camera and soon after Dundrum entrance to M50. Lines Southbound just before Blanchardstown.

• Advertisement

wtlltw wrote: »
    I drove past one of them the other day. I had the cruise control set at 100km on a 100km road, it displayed the car was doing 108km??

And to make matters worse I drove through a 50km zone to suddenly see a 100km sign post, I sped up to only realise the council had been too lazy to remove the old signs.

Them signs only do double digits. They dont do treble digits @ all:cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭SeanW

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    whether through carelessness or recklessness
    Are these the only/main reasons for exceeding the speed limit, according to you?
    The "my speed" argument is regularly trotted out in forums and threads such as this. Why people defend, and try to rationalise, such behaviour is beyond me.
    Perhaps because some speed limits are too low? Other times because visibility is super clear and a driver can see that they're on a wide road with no pedestrians/cyclists etc?
    These are dangerous attitudes because there is no such thing as safe speeding.
    So it is NEVER safe to break a speed limit? NEVER?

Would you care to comment on this road then:
    https://maps.google.ie/?ll=52.826433,-8.957371&spn=0.002347,0.004823&t=m&z=18&layer=c&cbll=52.82646,-8.957003&panoid=cBYptnqs7IfbowyZmJhHwQ&cbp=12,261.1,,1,0.55
    That's right, a Type 1 HQDC that has a 50kph limit.

Picture the scenario - its a bright overcast (no sun in eyes) overcast day, with excellent weather/visibility and a driver approaching this scene can clearly see that there are no pedestrians or cyclists on the DC. He then decides to speed up to 55kph ...

I wonder if you could comment on this ...

I also have a challenge for you. Go through your posting history and show me ONE post where you have defended motorists and/or said that motorists were regulated too heavily. ONE post!

Also (with the exception of the above HQDC) show me ONE example of a road with a speed limit you think is too low. ONE road!

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

Is there a thread on here with the new locations (update daily) ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

amadain wrote: »
    Is there a thread on here with the new locations (update daily) ?

No, and hopefully there never will be. Same with checkpoint updates, I hate them. Ok, sometimes the revenue generators are badly and stupidly placed, but imo, if you're paying attention you shouldn't get caught by one, theyre fairly obvious /high horse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

MarkMc wrote: »
    No, and hopefully there never will be. Same with checkpoint updates, I hate them. Ok, sometimes the revenue generators are badly and stupidly placed, but imo, if you're paying attention you shouldn't get caught by one, theyre fairly obvious /high horse

Big difference between warnings about tax/insurance/alcohol checkpoints and speed vans.

One is helping you not break the law, one is helping you avoid being caught breaking the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Tragedy wrote: »

Big difference between warnings about tax/insurance/alcohol checkpoints and speed vans.

One is helping you not break the law, one is helping you avoid being caught breaking the law.

One is to help you not break the law for the 100 yards where you know the van is, not that different imo

The whole "revenue generator" argument is misplaced, and repeating it is just tedious.

It's the sort of notion beloved of people who think that implementing a 30 km/h speed limit on city centre streets is "stupid".

The Dublin City 30 km/h speed zone has made a demonstrable difference in terms of road safety, and the same can be said of speed cameras generally. The collection of traffic fines is just a collateral benefit, and a fully justified one IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

MIND if I START ONE ?

SeanW wrote: »
    Perhaps because some speed limits are too low? Other times because visibility is super clear and a driver can see that they're on a wide road with no pedestrians/cyclists etc?

So it is NEVER safe to break a speed limit? NEVER?

Would you care to comment on this road then:
    https://maps.google.ie/?ll=52.826433,-8.957371&spn=0.002347,0.004823&t=m&z=18&layer=c&cbll=52.82646,-8.957003&panoid=cBYptnqs7IfbowyZmJhHwQ&cbp=12,261.1,,1,0.55
    That's right, a Type 1 HQDC that has a 50kph limit.

Picture the scenario - its a bright overcast (no sun in eyes) overcast day, with excellent weather/visibility and a driver approaching this scene can clearly see that there are no pedestrians or cyclists on the DC. He then decides to speed up to 55kph ...

I wonder if you could comment on this ...

I also have a challenge for you. Go through your posting history and show me ONE post where you have defended motorists and/or said that motorists were regulated too heavily. ONE post!

Also (with the exception of the above HQDC) show me ONE example of a road with a speed limit you think is too low. ONE road!

Who should decide whether a speed limit is too low on any given stretch of road?

Individual motorists, perhaps?

If so, would they be the same category of motorists who routinely break the speed limit on a variety of roads, including urban and residential roads with a 50 km/h speed limit? Would they be the same motorists who drive up on footpaths around schools during term time, or who obstruct footways at mass times? Would they be the motorists (allegedly in their thousands) who somehow managed to have their traffic offences deleted from Garda computer records?

Speeds limits are under review nationally at present. When that process is finished, some limits may go up and others may be reduced. I hope that whatever decisions are made are based on evidence and sound judgment, with road safety the paramount concern rather than populism.

There may be some or even many cases where the posted speed limit is well below the design speed of a road (or conversely where the design speed is far in excess of the speed limit, eg a 'fast' road in a residential area where there are vulnerable road users) but that does not negate the substantial body of evidence that higher speed equates with higher risk, eg the Australian research that I quoted earlier which found that in a 60 km/h speed limit area, the risk of involvement in a casualty crash doubles with each 5 km/h increase in travelling speed above 60 km/h.

As a car driver, cyclist, pedestrian, bus user and parent, it is my opinion that motorists are not regulated half enough. If current levels of law enforcement and traffic calming were doubled overnight I still wouldn't be satisfied. Quite frankly I am thoroughly fed up with the lack of enforcement and the lack of priority for non car users. A pedestrian was seriously injured in my neighbourhood in the early hours of yesterday morning, on a dangerous stretch of 50 km/h road where neither the Local Authority nor AGS have made any effective effort to mitigate the risk over many years. I walked along the narrow footpath there yesterday afternoon (the only footway available, despite the residential nature of the locality) and came across the site of the collision, where a section of heavy stone wall had been demolished. There was sawdust on the footpath and on the road, which I thought had been put there to cover spilt oil. Then I suddenly realised the sawdust I was standing on was also soaking up a large pool of blood, that of the pedestrian whose legs had reportedly been smashed in the collision in the early hours of 23rd December.

Happy Christmas, and safe driving.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    The Dublin City 30 km/h speed zone has made a demonstrable difference in terms of road safety, and the same can be said of speed cameras generally. The collection of traffic fines is just a collateral benefit, and a fully justified one IMO.

Here we go again, a certain user making claims 'substantiated' by links that don't actually back up his claims at all.

Déjà vu anyone?

Advertisement