Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food You've Never Tasted.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

Humus
    Battered Mars bar
    Caviar
    Lobster
    Sushi

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

There's virtually nothing I haven't at least tried to eat. I love food and good restaurants and have a pretty adventurous palate. We were also brought up eating food without being told what it was, so by the age of 10 I'd eaten everything the OP says he hasn't tasted yet. I think my parents thought they'd just get it into us with out making a fuss so we wouldn't know enough to develop an adversion. I'm talking more seafood and game here than human flesh in case you're all worried.

Since though I've always been one to try the thing on the menu I've never had, which normally works out. I discovered I love sashimi more than anything else in the world. And oysters, and snails. Not so much the sea urchin though. The day I had roasted bone marrow to start followed by rare squab (baby pigeon) wasn't the best though. Not with a hangover.

The only thing I won't be trying any time soon will be dog, and possibly horse. Or that Century Egg yoke (geddit?) above. And there is some type of baby hen foetus you get on the streets in Asia I wouldn't be into either http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balut_(egg)

In general though I think if you're squeamish, or fussy about food you're denying yourself so much. Raising a kid with your own food prejudices is something that really gets on my t*ts as well, it's such a shame for the kid. I agree with BraziliaNZ, I do think we're very limited as a nation, it's getting better though thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

BraziliaNZ wrote: »

Oh man, eggs benni is the best, I make it at home all the time, you have to try it.

+1 Eggs Benedict is amazing - if you're ever in Cork go to Liberty Grill - amazing eggs benedict - you will not be disappointed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Mrmoe wrote: »
    Humus
    Battered Mars bar
    Caviar
    Lobster
    Sushi

Always wanted to try one of these but afraid it'll end in a heart attack!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

leahyl wrote: »
    +1 Eggs Benedict is amazing - if you're ever in Cork go to Liberty Grill - amazing eggs benedict - you will not be disappointed!!

How much do they charge? It's usually about 6.50 here in London. There's a place called Bay in Clontarf that charges 14 f**king euro for eggs benni! And Odessa in Dublin charges something outrageous like 12e too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Love Eggs Benedict. On a Sunday after a night out it's one of the best hangover brunch dishes ever.

kfallon wrote: »
    Always wanted to try one of these but afraid it'll end in a heart attack!

Lived in Scotland for a while a few years ago & kept meaning to try battered mars bar but never got the courage to do it. Apparently one of the things to be careful with when eating them is how hot the caramel inside gets. Many the unwary eater has got quite nasty burns from letting it drip on their chin while eating before it cools down a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

I've never had Marmite. It looks and sounds rotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I've never had Marmite. It looks and sounds rotten.

Marmite & Bovril, two things I have no interest in tasting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Where To wrote: »
    The common cat.

Not knowingly anyways.

As opposed to posh cat? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Never had lobster myself- always wanted to try it. My mother got a small jar of caviar for Christmas but I'm a bit squeamish about trying it. Also never tried oysters or other shellfish apart from crabmeat as I'm worried I might find out I'm allergic the hard way. :/

Oysters are lovely once they're fresh. Head to Howth some weekend & order a half dozen with a pint of Guinness - heaven!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Lobster is alright, crab is better, especially dressed properly. (sapateira)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

lachin wrote: »
    What difference does it make to you... You can still eat what you want... Isn't that all that matters?

Try spend months in SE Asia with a girl that wont eat most vegetables, any seafood, meat 'with bones' or chicken with a hint of texture or colour that wasn't pure white. Not even give it a try. I just find it a bit contrary and unsocial. First thing I did when I left her was buy a bag of crickets :D
    Baked Alaska, Eggs Benedict or Beef Wellington, would love to try all three!

Love food, not a fussy eater at all but my ma is a terrible cook and so i never learned :(

I only discovered what an egg benedict was yesterday and it sounds delish! first thing I did was internet search restaurants in my area that serve it and it's on my 'to try' list for sure! Didn't even know what Hollindase sauce was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

For the Dubs looking to try battered Mars bars the Bull and Castle serve them as a desert. Their steaks are decent enough as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Truley wrote: »
    Try spend months in SE Asia with a girl that wont eat most vegetables, any seafood, meat 'with bones' or chicken with a hint of texture or colour that wasn't pure white. Not even give it a try. I just find it a bit contrary and unsocial. First thing I did when I left her was buy a bag of crickets :D
    That's not unreasonable, salmonella is no laughing matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

BraziliaNZ wrote: »

How much do they charge? It's usually about 6.50 here in London. There's a place called Bay in Clontarf that charges 14 f**king euro for eggs benni! And Odessa in Dublin charges something outrageous like 12e too.

They charge around the same - I think it's 6.80 or something - great value and sooooo good!!

Just checked, it's 6.55 - you get 2 poached eggs and 2 smoked rashers on top of sourdough bread and loads of lovely hollandaise on top mmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Giblet wrote: »
    Lobster is alright, crab is better, especially dressed properly. (sapateira)

I have to agree. Crab is way better than lobster. I don't get why so many "luxury" foods have that status. They're not always the nicest. I'm a big fan of food and I love quality eating but you can't beat a pan of crab claws and some fresh warm wheaten and salty butter, not even with lobster thermidor.

I also don't get why so many island dwellers hate seafood!
    phasers wrote: »
    That's not unreasonable, salmonella is no laughing matter.

The breast meat is the pure white stuff and without the skin it's pretty tasteless. Leg meat is more dark pink/brown in colour and tastier by far. I think that's what he's talking about, not uncooked chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

The breast meat is the pure white stuff and without the skin it's pretty tasteless. Leg meat is more dark pink/brown in colour and tastier by far. I think that's what he's talking about, not uncooked chicken.

yes that was what I meant. in Asia if you order a stew or a curry its likely to come with a big thigh or drumstick on the bone. absolutely delicious. My friend hated it and would refuse to eat it every time because she expects diced chicken breast or pork like we eat here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

I won't eat raw oyster anymore as I once had a bout of food poisoning from them; which was a shame, as I love the texture. I now have them baked or fried which isn't the same.

Basically, I'll try anything once. I've had and enjoyed

Raw horse
    Raw goat
    Pig's ear
    Frog's legs
    Sea cucumber
    Sea urchin
    Squid guts
    Fugu (poisonous if not cooked right)
    Eel
    Haggis
    Whale (in burger, salted and fillet)
    Wood pigeon
    Jellyfish
    Octopus
    Seaweed (various sorts)
    Cow's knees
    Shark's lips
    Rabbit curry
    Duck hearts
    Chicken legs
    Duck tongues

and so many others... not enough time in the world to try all...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

old hippy wrote: »

Chicken legs

:eek: Daring!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Jellyfish? I thought they were just water and evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

old hippy wrote: »

Chicken legs
    :eek: Daring!
    Probably meant to say chicken feet, which are a Chinese delicacy.

Last time I was on holiday-about six years ago- I had the opportunity to try escargot or French dressed snails.
    I pussied out and went for Black Angus steak instead. I still have erotic dreams about that steak. It was GLORIOUS.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Someday I will be brave enough to try Ortolan.

Now banned in France.

Anyone wanting to try a battered Mars Bar should check out The Cosy in Artane (before you get to the Goblet pub).
    One of the nicest chippers around and they'll even do an easter promotion of deep fried Creme eggs, something I've yet to try.
    The battered Mars Bars are about €2.50 but well worth it-especially served with some Ben & Jerry's ice-cream....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Well, I'm not an oyster fan either (risky and slimy) but as a steak loving man I would like to try venison.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Did anyone ever try haggus??

I was cruelly tricked into eating it thinkin it was white pudding when I was in Edinburgh. NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wuzziwig

Oysters, mussels, scallops, clams etc. I'll never eat them. I dissected so many of them in college and being intimate with their insides makes them most unappetising. Yuk!

I've never eaten snails, frogs legs, liver or any type of offal either and I don't think I ever will.

Oh and green cabbage. I love white but the smell of green cabbage makes me want to puke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wuzziwig

Well, I'm not an oyster fan either (risky and slimy) but as a steak loving man I would like to try venison.

I love steak and I had venison for the first time recently. It was gorgeous. Go for it!

Advertisement