Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food You've Never Tasted.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Larianne wrote: »
    Mmmm Hommus! :)

Jesus :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Never had pizza,pancakes,tomato,mayonnaise,curry,red apples along with a whole pile of other stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Jesus :cool:

Really nice with carrot sticks. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Larianne wrote: »
    Really nice with carrot sticks. :D

Yeah, but only in a tent :pac:;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

lachin wrote: »
    arse eater!

Ewwwww

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

old hippy wrote: »
    I won't eat raw oyster anymore as I once had a bout of food poisoning from them; which was a shame, as I love the texture. I now have them baked or fried which isn't the same.

Basically, I'll try anything once. I've had and enjoyed

Raw horse
    Raw goat
    Pig's ear
    Frog's legs
    Sea cucumber
    Sea urchin
    Squid guts
    Fugu (poisonous if not cooked right)
    Eel
    Haggis
    Whale (in burger, salted and fillet)
    Wood pigeon
    Jellyfish
    Octopus
    Seaweed (various sorts)
    Cow's knees
    Shark's lips
    Rabbit curry
    Duck hearts
    Chicken legs
    Duck tongues

and so many others... not enough time in the world to try all...

Raw horse or you mean the deli braesola that's made from horsemeat in Northern Italy - pork elsewhere in the world it seems - that is divine - lovely spicy dark meat. Cooked horsemeat is lovely too - with a nice bit of pasta. I always make a point of finding a nice horsemeat dish when I'm over there. A couple of things on that list I want to try! Particularly whale - I'd love to try that. Shark too.
    Frog's legs are lovely - I've eaten that and snails in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

I thought I'd eat anything until I went to China. Beef spinal cord was the worst thing I saw in a Hong Kong supermarket, rural chinese markets were pretty foul, any animal "with it's back to the sun" is considered edible.

There is a dish called Hainanese Chicken where a chicken breast is cooked VERY rare, it's quite nice but the almost raw chicken goes against everything we're taught over here and I found it impossible to finish. I am assured however that there is no salmonella risk because the chicken is butchered just before it is used, so unlike here (where a chicken can be sold as fit to eat up to 21 days after slaughter) there is insufficient time for the salmonella to grow to a dangerous level.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭iFergal

Any fish besides Donegal catch... ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Lapin wrote: »

That's actually horrific.

Perhaps - But I reckon its no more horrific than the ingredients found in most processed foods.

I'd have the ortolan before I'd have a chicken nugget from a fast food restaurant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Its Behind You!

Lobster. Now you cant tell me there's enough meat in dem claws to constitute a decent meal..Am I right?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

i was a pretty picky eater, until i moved abroad a few years ago, now i'll eat almost anything.
    I never had pizza until almost 2 years ago as i didnt like cheese. Now i cant get enough of the stuff.
    ive also recently eaten for the first time

sushi & sashimi - everything they had
    eel
    dog (in a soup)
    live octopus
    kangaroo steak
    lobster
    crab
    horse - both a cooked steak and raw horse meat
    butternut squash
    hummus
    venison

Agree with another poster, would love to try goat, rabbit & pheasant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Novella wrote: »
    Beetroot is so good. Try it.
    I love when people over dose and their pee is red and then they panic ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Its Behind You!

gcgirl wrote: »
    I love when people over dose and their pee is red and then they panic ;)

Is that metabolically (or whatever) possible? If it is you have settled a debate going back a few years regarding Ouzo and Black.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Durian, once you've tasted it you will wish you hadn't! Imagine rotten socks and burnt onions rolled into one! Not Nice!

oldyouth wrote: »
    I've never had peanut butter. It just doesn't sound right

You know there's no butter in it? Just crushed peanuts which create their own oil?
    jingler wrote: »
    Truffles- I would love to see what all the fuss is about.

The Amsterdam kind?
    Butternut Squash
    Pumpkin
    Passion Fruit
    Monkfish

Four of the yummiest foods! Especially monkfish, one of the nicest fish of all.

I haven't had oysters, or caviar, or snails. I'll eat most things though.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thalia_13

Never eaten, ( nor would want to) : frogs legs, snails, any domestic pet, or insects...
    No interest in foie gras or caviar,

Have yet to try crab, shark and lobster, only ate prawns for first time this year and really wonder why I had such a bad impression of them? They are tasty!

Have eaten most game birds and animals, goat, tongue and nearly all cuts of offal, thanks to my Granny... She nearly beat me out of the kitchen when I turned vegetarian in my teens!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I've never had scollops. What do they taste like ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Ally Dick wrote: »
    I've never had scollops. What do they taste like ?

Firm meaty flesh, but a delicate taste. Good with creamy sauces. Delicious!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

coffeepls wrote: »
    Raw horse or you mean the deli braesola that's made from horsemeat in Northern Italy - pork elsewhere in the world it seems - that is divine - lovely spicy dark meat. Cooked horsemeat is lovely too - with a nice bit of pasta. I always make a point of finding a nice horsemeat dish when I'm over there. A couple of things on that list I want to try! Particularly whale - I'd love to try that. Shark too.
    Frog's legs are lovely - I've eaten that and snails in Dublin.

It was horse sashimi, had it in Tokyo. Not spectacular but not offensive, either. Whale I had in Norway, the nicest was 2 fillets - it was so tasty and for someone who can't eat cow - it was a marvellous substitute. However, I did feel guilty - had spent years arguing with the missus about whaling and here I was, chowing down on a mammal :(

Had snails in garlic and butter, that was melt in your mouth. MMm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

It was horse sashimi, had it in Tokyo. Not spectacular but not offensive, either.

snap.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

sushi, and well the majority of fish, i just hate the look of it!

123 LC wrote: »

That's one of the things that I love about it, the way it looks - the bright, fresh colours. And when you taste it - oh, the texture, the melty, mushy, gently meaty mastications. Mmmm.

One of the few foods I can orgasm about ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

123 LC wrote: »

Try a fish pie, all mixed up with pastry & sauce. Even if you don't like the look of fried/poached fish on its own you might enjoy that.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I've never had peanut butter and 'jelly' as they say in the US of A!

Sounds rank tbh

kfallon wrote: »

Sounds rank tbh

My mom used to make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for school. Loved 'em :D

My mom used to make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for school. Loved 'em :D

Please tell me you are American for both the school 'rambos' and the use of the word 'Mom'

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

peanut butter and jam sandwiches are the greatest creation of all time

phasers wrote: »
    peanut butter and jam sandwiches are the greatest creation of all time

I think you'll find that is gees and boobies :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

kfallon wrote: »

Sounds rank tbh

When I was a kid, having watched way too much American television I tried making my own version of this US sandwich delicacy with strawberry jam & crunchy peanut butter. Probably one of the worst things I've ever made, managed about two bites & gave up, just tastes wrong for some reason. Americans, like many countries have foods that you really have to be brought up in their culture to enjoy eating (Vegemite would be the Australian equivalent). Note the mass outpouring of grief across the pond in recent months at the passing of the Hostess company who sold horribly sweet little balls of toxic waste masquerading as snacks of various kinds. Tried a few of them when in the States a few years ago & found them disgusting but plenty of people there adored them.

Advertisement