Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food You've Never Tasted.

Options
  • 31-12-2012 3:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭

Never had aubergines, artichokes, caviar, fois gras, dates, beetroot and i'm sure alot more. Am i missing out on anything here? Would love to try caviar and fois gras just to see what the commotion is about...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

Never had caviar. Had sardines for the first time a few weeks ago, my god they are probably the only thing I would never eat again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Krokodil

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Genuine fresh ice.

Anytime I ask for it I always get the frozen ****e :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Genuine fresh ice.

Anytime I ask for it I always get the frozen ****e :(

Really? I usually get frozen water when I ask for it.

Never had cavier, fois gras, pop tarts, pan cakes (American), goose, duck

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I haven't tried 99% of food. I basically eat chicken and steak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Had all the above but never had cauliflower. Just the sight of it turns my stomach. Well, losts of veg do that to me.....real carnivore here lol

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Beetroot is so good. Try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Novella wrote: »
    Beetroot is so good. Try it.

Pickled or fresh? Now tell the truth!

Red Hand wrote: »

Pickled or fresh? Now tell the truth!

Fresh with a bit of salt. Mmmm. My dad used to grow them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

Rabbit and beetroot.
    Id be very curious to try rabbit.
    Most seafood that Ive eaten turns my stomach so theres alot of it that I dont wanna try.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I've had caviar, not crazy about it.
    I've had sardines, love them, and made pate from them a few days ago.
    I love Fois gras!
    I also love barszcz/borsch/borst which is beetroot soup. Yummy!

Never had blowfish but I will try it.
    Neverhad deepfried scorpion but would also be keen.

Never had any house pets and dont plan to.

Rabbit and beetroot.
    Id be very curious to try rabbit.
    Most seafood that Ive eaten turns my stomach so theres alot of it that I dont wanna try.

I made rabbit stew about 6 weeks ago. It was delicious. Very gamey in taste. Think chicken meets venison.

Had sardines for the first time a few weeks ago, my god they are probably the only thing I would never eat again.

No wonder I got bullied so much in primary school.

I used to have sardine sandwiches every day in primary school. Much to the disgust of my classmates.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Halfshaft

Never had lobster before, must get around to trying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

Pussy and cock.

Halfshaft wrote: »
    Never had lobster before, must get around to trying it.

You can get a frozen one in I think aldi. Very nice.

If you like crab, you will like lobster.

syklops wrote: »

No wonder I got bullied so much in primary school.

I used to have sardine sandwiches every day in primary school. Much to the disgust of my classmates.

Oh Jesus, surprising to hear of kids liking them!

I love rabbit and anything game. Pidgeon is surprisingly delicious. Best thing I've ever eaten is crocodile steak. Must get that again soon.

Mr. Rager wrote: »
    Pussy and cock.

Ah, your celibate then.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭IceFjoem

Degag wrote: »
    Never had aubergines, artichokes, caviar, fois gras, dates, beetroot and i'm sure alot more. Am i missing out on anything here? Would love to try caviar and fois gras just to see what the commotion is about...

You simply must try my latest dish.

8kXp0.jpg

Oh Jesus, surprising to hear of kids liking them!

I love rabbit and anything game. Pidgeon is surprisingly delicious. Best thing I've ever eaten is crocodile steak. Must get that again soon.

I'm a strange man and I was a strange kid.

May I ask, what were the circumstances in which you had them and they were so awful? For me, i either have them fresh off a BBQ in Spain, Portugal, or on the med, or in olive oil from a tin.

I shoot and so, am not averse to game in any fashion. Snipe on toast is lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Mr. Rager wrote: »
    Pussy and cock.

I don't think you'd call those food somehow...

I'm a strange man and I was a strange kid.

May I ask, what were the circumstances in which you had them and they were so awful? For me, i either have them fresh off a BBQ in Spain, Portugal, or on the med, or in olive oil from a tin.

I shoot and so, am not averse to game in any fashion. Snipe on toast is lovely.

On a pizza from dominos...

JUst kidding, my dad eats them from a tin so I tasted them! I eat anything and everything, that's the only thing I've had to actually spit out.

I'm a huge meat lover, game plate...nothing but meat. Absolutely delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Caviar
    Asparagus
    Tofu
    Sushi

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

I don't think you'd call those food somehow...

Armin Meiwes would (at least partially) disagree.

Personally I'd love to try more game. I've had pheasant (nice enough but a tad dry), rabbit, pigeon, hare & guinea fowl a few times. I've heard squirrel is supposed to be really nice too - apparently there's a good few restaurants in England that serve it, never heard of it over here though, maybe they're not as plentiful. Probably the weirdest thing I've eaten is fried crickets, very popular in some parts of Mexico. A few dozen of the little fellas washed down with a decent mezcal is a surprisingly tasty culinary experience!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

The common cat.

Not knowingly anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

Quail , they just don't look right , escargot, ostrich , crocodile or goose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

I made rabbit stew about 6 weeks ago. It was delicious. Very gamey in taste. Think chicken meets venison.

*Adds venison to the ever growing list here* ...and I'm only on the first page yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

You can get a frozen one in I think aldi. Very nice.

If you like crab, you will like lobster.

Ugh, that's scrap! :p

Once you've had it local and fresh you'll never go back to that rubber again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

1ZRed wrote: »
    Ugh, that's scrap! :p

Once you've had it local and fresh you'll never go back to that rubber again

Oh hell yeah! Same as any fish or meat for that matter. Have caught and cooked lots of different fish and the frozen stuff is no comparison. The flavour and texture is so different!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Fond memories of catching mackerel, gutting them on the spot and popping them on a disposable barbecue on the pier from years back. It's really hard to find anything half so good as fish that fresh.

big game lover here too. Do a bit of shooting so there's usually pigeon, rabbit or venison somewhere around. Just took out some loin of venison to thaw for new years this evening.

While there's a few things I've not had that I'd love to try, I really do like trying different foods and am open to lots of ideas so the list is smaller than it might be. :)

Advertisement