Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Council - Bin Collection Privatised/Greyhound Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

That's interesting. My plan 2 is €19 pm black and green collections plus €4 for brown which they say is a requirement in the Dublin city bye laws.

What greyhound say is very much like a thread elsewhere on the DC forum; absolute sh1te.

I contacted a local FG and Lab TD. The FG one replied and said he would write to greyhound about this. Labour TD never bothered his hole to say anything. Maybe the FF one might do something, as he is usually quite active, so i will direct him to this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 alanlawlor

Does anyone know whether any government or local council body is responsible for the regulation of operators ?

When I have paid up-front charges and my bin has not been collected, it is not simply a matter of switching to a new operator - what if my old operator (guess - yes - its Greyhound) refuses to refund money on account?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

alanlawlor wrote: »
    Does anyone know whether any government or local council body is responsible for the regulation of operators ?

When I have paid up-front charges and my bin has not been collected, it is not simply a matter of switching to a new operator - what if my old operator (guess - yes - its Greyhound) refuses to refund money on account?
    I spoke to the NCA recently and they suggested that if your operator has failed to live up to their side of the contract and refuses to refund you, the normal route is the small claims court. If this happens and the case is decided in your favour, AFAIK they also have to cover the fees you paid to have your case hard.

Many services seem to be switching to a pay-as-you-go model, which often turns into "pay us first so we can take your money for any reason without you having a say in the matter". Really, I preferred the "we bill you afterwards, and you can disagree and refuse to pay us" model...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

I've paid Greyhound up to 16th ish of January 2013 annual fee - my current balance is 15 euro - if my balance goes under 5 euro will they pick up my green bin or does there have to be s minim amount on the account?

deelite wrote: »
    I've paid Greyhound up to 16th ish of January 2013 annual fee - my current balance is 15 euro - if my balance goes under 5 euro will they pick up my green bin or does there have to be s minim amount on the account?

I can't be sure, but I doubt it. The green bin is only free because of the extortionate rates of collecting the black bin.

Why do I get the feeling you're planning on burying general waste in your green bin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Not at all just going to change suppliers in the new year and know that I have enough credit in the account for two more lifts 1 brown 1 black just wondering about over the Christmas will the green bins be collected with little or no credit in the account. You're a little cheeky devil btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I contacted them asking why I was offered a 2 black bin lift when.I never used 2 black bins.
    was just told that if it didn't suit to go for the (more expensive) pay per lift option.
    I've emailed back saying.my question wasn't answered and could I get an answer.I live in hope:-)

deelite wrote: »
    You're a little cheeky devil btw.

:pac: Just Kidding. I have to check what credit we have, as we're switching to Oxigen. It's cheaper and Greyhound are just too dirty and greedy for my liking. I posted the following on the thread I created, but thought it would also sit here comfortably.

I received a letter today from Terence Flanagan TD (FG) with a response from Greyhound Recycling regarding my complaint. I have responded to Terence, thanking him, but the Greyhound reply is less than satisfactory. I have pasted the whole email below, omitting only my name. The Greyhound response has been split into single line statements and is in bold font. The opening and closing formalities were not included, as they were not relevant to the subject. Email reply to follow:

Dear Terence,

First of all, let me thank you for making contact with Greyhound Recycling on my behalf. You should know that I contacted Tommy Broughan (Labour) a day or so after contacting you. However, you were the first public figure I contacted and you responded, where the other TD did not, so I appreciate that a great deal. I did also contact Minister Hogan, but I only received a reply from his office to acknowledge receipt of my email and have received no reply since then. Cllr Brabazon was also recently informed and has sent a letter response with interest in dealing with the matter in a public way. I have expressed interest, if necessary in speaking with the media about this issue, as it has received little attention when time is short. I would prefer I did not have to go down this route, because I would like to see the matter being dealt with properly, without the media being brought into it.

I received your letter with the Greyhound Recycling Response this morning. It is, quite frankly, a pathetic blow off response from Greyhound Recycling, with nothing being answered and much being lied about. I will cover the response, line by line, followed by my thoughts on them. I have excluded the opening greeting, as it is not material to the response.

"The options offered are relating to the usage of the bins."

It is a bin company. I did not think they were offering food delivery plans, or selling health insurance. However, this is one of only two factually correct statements.

"Each bin has a unique microchip that feeds back to our server."

This is the second correct statement, but it fails to mention that many areas and households have not been monitored by weight up to now, because many of their fleet are not equipped with the necessary hardware to take weight measurements (according to Greyhound source) and pass them along to the server. It is also not possible, or practical for people to weigh their own bins, so how are people to know if Greyhound Recycling are being honest without independent checks being carried out? If people do weigh their own bins, Greyhound still have the final say and there is nothing the customer can do about it if they disagree. On a personal note, I often bring my own bin out and the weights always feel similar. I could not give you an accurate measurement from my duty of wheeling the bins to the front of the Garden, but I would say the average weight would be 60-70kg, but according to greyhound, one bin was over 127kg. A mistake? Who knows? On the new system, I would be charged €6.50 for the first 25kg and €33.66 for the next 102kg, which is a total of €40.16 for that bin lift on the plan Greyhound recommended for me, based on their expert analysis. They also weigh by the half kilo, but they have not given any indication of how people would be charged for a half kilo. Will they be let off the 16.5cent? Will it be carried over? Will they be charged 16.5cent? Will they be charged for a full kilo?

"We believe that the selected plan is the best option for each customer."

Nonsense! This is total lies. If they believed the selected plans were the best plans for each customer, then wouldn't different customers have been placed on different plans? I have asked dozens of people about this and every single person has been placed on Plan 1, which Greyhound know is the biggest money maker for them. The vast majority of customers would go well above the restriced weights on a black bin. I would ask this question; Has any customer been placed onto any other plan without having to request it? I would doubt so. I think I will start a poll on this and report back.

"Customers have a range of different options to choose from within their plan and can make a different choice at any time throughout the year."

Customers do have different plans to choose from, but variety isn't a word I wuld use here. My household was offered 4 different Plans. My current end of year projection for domestic waste is costing just under €300. With the plan Greyhound Recycling recommended (PLAN 1) my annual spend would be in excess of €1000. This is not my figure. This was from the mouth of the first Greyhound representave I spoke to when I first rang about the .33c blunder, which hasn't been detailed in their response at all, very conveniently. I would not imagine it being easy for a customer being able to switch from certain plans throughout the year, but it's not a simple point to argue, so I will forego on that one.

"Different plans do no relate to different areas."

Untrue. As mentioned in my original letter; the good people of clongriffin, Dublin 13 seem to be getting their waste collected at nearly half the cost of those of us literally across the road. I know that a number of different price plans are being offered to different customers in different areas of Dublin. Greyhound denied this when last I spoke to them. The representative kept spouting different plans, saying I should choose the one-off €330, which would be very difficult for most of us at this time of year. The annual upfront fee for someone living in Grange Abbey is €330, or €29 per month (€348 annually). The annual upfront fee for someone living in clongriffin is €175, or €15 per month (€180 annually). As you know, these communities are side by side. I do not know if all of Grange Abbey, or all of Clongriffin are being charged the same plan fees for their area, as I have not checked every single addreess of course. However, I have attached proof, which a customer in Clongriffin has kindly posted on a public forum for all to see, at my request. So, to say that prices, or plans are not related to areas is a complete lie. The first file is the cover letter with the name and address of the customer partially removed for privacy. The second file contains an image of the prices greyhound are charging that customer.

"The new choices that are being introduced include prices by weight."

These prices are misleadng and/or completely wrong. A price of .33c (one third of one cent) sits comfortably with 2012 prices after the 50cent reduction is black bin lifts. Customers would actually make a tiny saving in most cases. However, Greyhound insist that the price is actually 33cent per extra kilo, which adds several euros to the average black bin. I wonder if Greyhound could provide the average black bin weight for Dublin, or even just for my area, Grange Abbey? Based on Plan 1: If the average black bin was only 50 kilos in weight (a very conservative figure i'm sure you'll agree) then the cost for the first 25kg is €6.50 and the added cost would be €8.25, a total of €14.75.

The black bin is lifted 30 times per year (as far as I know, but i'm open to correction). Completely ignoring brown bin lifts; if the black bin is lifted 30 times per year and the weight of each bin is 50 kilos, the total annual cost, including the €59.95 upfront fee on Plan 1 is €502.45. With the weight only plan, it is €495 with no upfront fee added. That's on a very conservatively low average bin and excludes the brown bin altogether.

Greyhound have still not responded to the .33c price error. I have twice requested to speak to a supervisor. On the first occasion, the supervisor was "away in Dublin for the day". The second time, the supervisor was "at a meeting and would call me right back". One representative already said that the price was an error and that the letters should not have been sent out. I named that representative in the online forum I referred to you and I named the missing supervisor too. Unless something is done, there will be uproar next year about this. I wouldn't be surprised if the army had to be called in again to collect the bins from customers who can't, or won't pay extortionate and misleading rates, cleverly disguised in errors and half-truths, with a core of lies. If they are aiming to help customers save money, I would ask how much extra they are forecasting to raise from the average household? The response from Greyhound is total Garbage and does nothing to answer my questions. I will be taking action to alert the public in a bigger way if necessary. I will be changing to a different provider, but most people don't know the truth.

Best Regards,

Snip My Name

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭scholes

Hi Goz 83

Your post is well written and exactly what I have been trying to explain to people. You couldn't have made it clearer. I have written to my local TD about these price changes also as I feel a lot of people will be caught out next year and elderly people also. I also wanted an answer from Greyhound why differend areas are being charged different rates!.
    I received a letter back from my td as he had a response from greyhound and and they said the charging will be based on customers usage, and not as the writer appears to be suggesting based on where the customer may be living.

I disputed this and send a copy of price extracts from 3 letters from different people I know with total different charges from different areas and they havent answered the question. All the bins i put out last year have different weight charges one bin was apparantly 135 kilos!! I wouldn't even be able to push a bin if it was 135 kilos!

Unfortunately I had topped up my credit before I received the letter stating these new charges. I emailed them lots of times asking for my credit to be returned and they have totally refused and told me to read the terms and conditions.

I have signed up to a new bin company and just want to put this company behind me.

Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

T&c changed..refund after 1 year.it was 2.
    i emailed the MD and Pascal o donohoe and got no answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Just got a letter through the door.

Now they're going to charge for the recycling bags as well - €9 for a poxy roll of six - due to the (I'm paraphrasing) the decreasing return on recycled materials and the increased distribution costs.

Grrrr!

Edit: this applies from 7 December. Not much notice either *rolleyes*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Bruce7

There's a company called City Bin claiming on their advertising that they cost 99 euros a year for all 3 bins.

Does anyone know if this is actually true, or is there some small print where you pay by weight above a certain amount, or something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Bruce7 wrote: »
    There's a company called City Bin claiming on their advertising that they cost 99 euros a year for all 3 bins.

Does anyone know if this is actually true, or is there some small print where you pay by weight above a certain amount, or something like that?

Just had a look at their site, and it's €99 for the first 5000 people to sign up, and €15 a month (€180 per anum) after that. If you have over 500kg a year you get charged an extra 30c per kilo.

http://citybin.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Just came on to do the same type of post, got a little red flyer in the door yesterday, and was having a look at the site today.
    Got a knock this evening from the red team, nice guy, no hard sell just plenty of info, seems like a good deal.
    Didn't see how many lifts there are each month on the web site but he said fortnightly.
    I'm with Oxygen so it's black and green every 2 weeks for €20, City bin works out at just over €8 a month for the first year.
    Mentioned to him that 5000 wouldn't last long, was it a marketing ploy and were there many people signed up, he said no problem, me thinks 5000 +++.
    Does anyone know is it Black every 2 weeks and green and brown 1 a month, forgot to ask him that.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

Just heard greyhound are going to charge me 1.50 per bag of re cycled rubbish, This city is already like a tip with rubbish, It is now going to get worst..government has a lot to answer for giving these shower of crooks the contract...:(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,153 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

JosDel wrote: »
    Just heard greyhound are going to charge me 1.50 per bag of re cycled rubbish, This city is already like a tip with rubbish, It is now going to get worst..government has a lot to answer for giving these shower of crooks the contract...:(

I'll be bringing mine in my perfectly good non-greyhound bags to Shamrock terrace on the North Strand where Dublin City Council have just told me they will take them for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

spurious wrote: »
    I'll be bringing mine in my perfectly good non-greyhound bags to Shamrock terrace on the North Strand where Dublin City Council have just told me they will take them for free.

Thanks for that, I'm only 10 minutes walk myself....

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭eboarde

Just signed up for City Bin and they have two stipulations. Firstly as mentioned before you'll be charged extra if your grey bins are more than 500Kg per annum. you'll also be charged if an individual bin is greater than 50Kg (15.6p/kg). They state most bins are less than 20Kg.

eboarde

eboarde wrote: »
    Just signed up for City Bin and they have two stipulations. Firstly as mentioned before you'll be charged extra if your grey bins are more than 500Kg per annum. you'll also be charged if an individual bin is greater than 50Kg (15.6p/kg). They state most bins are less than 20Kg.

eboarde

I was told that in the €99 deal that the weight issue was not for the first year, that it only kicked in in the second year when it goes up to €15 a month.

Edit: just checked the site and there are no weight restrictions for the first year.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭eboarde

nudger wrote: »
    I was told that in the €99 deal that the weight issue was not for the first year, that it only kicked in in the second year when it goes up to €15 a month.

Edit: just checked the site and there are no weight restrictions for the first year.

Thanks Nudger, I read the site incorrectly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭morton

I signed up to citybins last week for the €99 euro deal. 3 shiny red bins arrived a few days later. I am still in credit with greyhound and am holding off returning the bins until January kicks in, so I will have completed my 12 month contract with them.

A family member lives a couple of roads away from me,approximately 400 metres and greyhound quoted much higher rates for bin collection. When the difference was queried with greyhound, a staff member said he didn't have a clue why the cost was so different.

I changed as I didn't like the way greyhound can chop and change their rates, that their rates will probably rise again next year, plus trying to get through on the phone if theres a problem is a nightmare. I had a bin that wasn't lifted during the year along with @10 other houses beside me, when I finally got through I was told they couldn't lift the bins due to access problems. It took nearly 8 or 9 days and numerous emails with photos to show my road was directly accessible by 2 other roads, before the bins were lifted.

I know that I'm paying a lot less with citybin until 2015 at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Halycon days

First post -
    Screw Greyhound, screw Dublin City Council, screw this mess.

I live in a part of dublin that unfortunately uses bags. Ever since, Greyhound took over their has been non-stop problems, I'm sure most of which has been covered on the other 54 pages.

But to the reason for this post, I am outraged by the introduction of fees for recycling. Greyhound's reasoning for the introduction of fees was the 'high cost of delivering the bags' and 'sharp fall in market value of recyclables'.

The second part is what disturbs me most, Greyhound is acknowledging the fact that recycling is not altruistic for them because they profit from the sale of your recyclables to recycling plants. Assuming they are honest, the market value has fallen meaning that the profit they had been generating from their recycling collection has dropped, but instead of trying to find other ways to improve their business model, they have chosen the easy way of passing the cost onto consumers.

This plan is sure to backfire possibly not on Greyhound because their new fees are almost sure to yield greater profits, but on Ireland itself and anyone who is interested in an environmentally-friendly agenda.

Take a person like myself whose sole motivation to begin recycling was because it was a free way to dispose of some of my rubbish. That incentive lead me to recycle everything suitable for it.

But I have not forgotten why I started recycling, and once you remove that incentive from me that you previously used to change my behavior, my behavior will almost certainly revert back to it's original state.

And this is a no-brainer for me, any excess capacity I have in my regular rubbish bags will now be used for recycling and given how light and malleable pretty much all recycling material is I don't believe I'll have any problem combining the two.

The cost difference to me is zero. The impact to the environment is a negative.

Do I think I or anyone else who does similar should guilty? No, not in the slightest, the same people who introduced the scheme for recycling for the greater good, are the same people who failed to safeguard it for the greater good.

This also raises a question of entitlement - do I expect to be rewarded for doing the right thing and recycling? No, but in the same breathe I don't expect to be punished for it either and given the alternative of disposing of my recycling with my regular rubbish it is a negative and thus my action.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

I take great pleasure in telling everyone I know who is with them that Greyhound is a scummy company, to carefully look at how much they're getting charged for refuse collection, and to seriously consider changing providers if they're not happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Marmit3

i would love to change provider! Could you advise me how to do this? Unfortunately i live in an area where we cant have a wheelie bin, so bag collection is my only option. I also dont own a car so cant drop it off anywhere. I looked online but cant find any alternatives. As usual the city council website doesnt offer any useful information about this.
    According to their statement they have to charge for the bags because the cost for retail is too high. I havent received a greyhound bag in almost a year now. How could they possibly unable to pay for a service they dont provide? They also have dumped tons of waste illegally in farms. They need to be sued immediately, disowned and taken under the states control again. bunch of mafiosi!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Was just reading in a different thread, that Greyhound plan to charge for the Green Bin very soon. That would be the icing on the cake, have to call the City Bin Crowd then asap :(

Anyone knows, if Greyhound refund, what I have in my account, and if, how long might that take?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Ciarok

Does anyone know the answers to three questions:

What are the terms of any agreements/contracts between DCC and Greyhound?
    Is the attempt to impose separate charges for recycling compliant with these?
    Can a waste collection/disposal license (or whatever it is called) be revoked?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Marmit3

i know that the answer to the third question is yes as this has been discussed for a while now. Greyhound have admitted a while back that they arent able to deal with the large volume of recycling collection. So far no result though.

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Was just reading in a different thread, that Greyhound plan to charge for the Green Bin very soon. That would be the icing on the cake, have to call the City Bin Crowd then asap :(

Anyone knows, if Greyhound refund, what I have in my account, and if, how long might that take?

Don't know if this helps, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82057085

One issue I have about changing to Citybin is that when I was with Greyhound I left their bins out about 4 times to be taken back but eventually got a pain in my hole and put them in the back garden.

Oxygen had emptied them for me on their first lift of black and green.

If I change to citybin I will get another 3 bins so now I have 8, will Oxygen take their 2 back does anyone know?

The Greyhound ones in time are going to be cleaned out and turned into rain harvesters for the greenhouse, when I get a chance, water charges coming in down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

nudger wrote: »
    Don't know if this helps, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82057085

One issue I have about changing to Citybin is that when I was with Greyhound I left their bins out about 4 times to be taken back but eventually got a pain in my hole and put them in the back garden.

Oxygen had emptied them for me on their first lift of black and green.

If I change to citybin I will get another 3 bins so now I have 8, will Oxygen take their 2 back does anyone know?

The Greyhound ones in time are going to be cleaned out and turned into rain harvesters for the greenhouse, when I get a chance, water charges coming in down the road.

It helps indeed...but it hurts. This will be funny times ahead, I guess, I have to wait for my contract with GH to expire, but knowing all the luck I have, the 99 Euro offer from CityBin will be gone as well :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

Marmit3 wrote: »
    i would love to change provider! Could you advise me how to do this? Unfortunately i live in an area where we cant have a wheelie bin, so bag collection is my only option. I also dont own a car so cant drop it off anywhere. I looked online but cant find any alternatives. As usual the city council website doesnt offer any useful information about this.
    According to their statement they have to charge for the bags because the cost for retail is too high. I havent received a greyhound bag in almost a year now. How could they possibly unable to pay for a service they dont provide? They also have dumped tons of waste illegally in farms. They need to be sued immediately, disowned and taken under the states control again. bunch of mafiosi!

Hi I just spoke to the guy in abbey waste, €3 a sticker for black bags, register your address online, stickers can be bought online or from spar on Camden street, and rubbish is collected after 9am Fridays

Also asked about recycling he said there will be a charge coming in but at the moment if you register with them after a few pick UPS they will send out some free recycling bags...

I've been procrastinating about switching for ages, this has given me the push I needed

On a side note.. I am thinking of removing as much of the packaging as possible from my shopping at the supermarket. Leave it in their bins!

Advertisement