Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Council - Bin Collection Privatised/Greyhound Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Hi,
    We just moved house into Dublin 1 and are thinking of using the Tagged Bag option run by Greyhound. What would you guys recommend?

Also how do I go about getting recycling bags?

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

zynaps wrote: »
    Someone called us today to offer a bin service with (apparently) no standing charge but a €14 lift fee - dunno who it is, though.
    This would suit me since we've put the black bin out twice this year, and we don't use the brown bin at all
    Turns out it was Oxigen. Amazingly, their website doesn't appear to give any information on this, for example the price... all they have is a "contact us" form for them to call/mail you back - a bit 1990s tbh. Nevertheless, I signed up with them and deposited enough money for one or two collections.

Still haven't gotten round to notifying Greyhound... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Hi,
    We just moved house into Dublin 1 and are thinking of using the Tagged Bag option run by Greyhound. What would you guys recommend?

Also how do I go about getting recycling bags?

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    You buy bin tags (3 for €10.50) and slap them on every bag of refuse. Don't use jumbo bags or they'll be rejected.

Contact Greyhound for the free recycle bags. They used to let you request them online but I don't see that option there now. Doesn't matter - I requested them twice on the phone and once online and never got them. They say you can use clear plastic bags anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

kylith wrote: »
    I was told that they won't remove my bins until I pay an outstanding balance of €7 for a bin lift before the hand over was complete, and to pay the €7 I'd have to pay the €50 six month charge. Maybe you'll have better luck. I'm going to cut mine up and put them in the recycling bin.

So I did the mucky thing, emptied the Greyhound bins out onto the lawn and transferred the contents into the new Oxigen bins. Stinky work. Then I emailed Greyhound, told them I was a new tenant renting at the current location (truth) and that I would no longer be needing their bins. 5 days later they were gone.

Might be worth getting someone else in the household to send in an email saying that they're a new tenant and want the bins removed, they'll probably not bother with the charges at that stage.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Turns out it was Oxigen. Amazingly, their website doesn't appear to give any information on this, for example the price... all they have is a "contact us" form for them to call/mail you back - a bit 1990s tbh. Nevertheless, I signed up with them and deposited enough money for one or two collections.

Still haven't gotten round to notifying Greyhound... :o

we changed to them;

no service charge

DD 20e p/m for both black and green bin.

Collection every 2 weeks.

the only problem i have with them, is that they dont collect until late in the afternoon. i would prefer if they were collected before 7am so i could lock them back up before going to be work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

irishbird wrote: »
    the only problem i have with them, is that they dont collect until late in the afternoon. i would prefer if they were collected before 7am so i could lock them back up before going to be work

Are you worried about security? I thought about that before, but surely it wouldn't really be in anyone's interest to nick bins, given that you'd still have to have an account with the company involved and you get them free from said companies anyway. Or are you more worried about the "nick and turn into a smouldering pile of melted plastic" kind of thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

MJohnston wrote: »
    Are you worried about security? I thought about that before, but surely it wouldn't really be in anyone's interest to nick bins, given that you'd still have to have an account with the company involved and you get them free from said companies anyway. Or are you more worried about the "nick and turn into a smouldering pile of melted plastic" kind of thing?

I'm irishbird's husband - we've had bins nicked twice now.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scary

kylith wrote: »
    The company that I supplied them, DCC, has washed their hands of them, Greyhound refuse to collect them unless I cough up €60, and I'm sick of having 6 bins in my front garden. What would you suggest I do with them?

If you have a van, just drop them back outside there offices, I spent months trying to get them to take them back, in the end just brought them back myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,253 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Does anyone know who else does New St area (off Camden St) and if they are cheaper than Greyhound.
    Looking at the areas covered by the various companies it seems Greyhound is the only one though I do see other companies passing by.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

fritzelly wrote: »
    Does anyone know who else does New St area (off Camden St) and if they are cheaper than Greyhound.
    Looking at the areas covered by the various companies it seems Greyhound is the only one though I do see other companies passing by.

I think, Advanced are around in that area.

http://www.advancedwaste.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,253 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Lars1916 wrote: »
    I think, Advanced are around in that area.

http://www.advancedwaste.ie

Thanks Lars1916
    Seem to be good, have to wait to hear back from them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Hi all,

In D5 myself, and with Greyhound. Didn't have the time to look into an alternative when they took over the DCC contract but I'm considering changing now.

Oxigen and AdvancedWaste seem to operate in my area.

Has anyone moved from greyhound to either - any idea of costs involved and savings made (if any)?

Or am I better of just staying as is.

Bins don't go out every second week. Black maybe once a month, green the same. Some months they go out twice a month but not recently

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭mhtc

Hi,

I changed from greyhound to another company 5 weeks ago but greyhound still haven't picked up their old bins. All fees etc have been paid.

Have had enough, can I just get rid of these myself or will they come chasing me with some sort of charge?

Regards,
    Mhtc

we moved to oxigen.
    220e a year green and black bin picked up twice a month

no brown bin

have no compliant :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

mhtc wrote: »
    Hi,

I changed from greyhound to another company 5 weeks ago but greyhound still haven't picked up their old bins. All fees etc have been paid.

Have had enough, can I just get rid of these myself or will they come chasing me with some sort of charge?

Regards,
    Mhtc

I've been trying to get them to take mine since January! I don't know if you can legally dispose of them. Currently mine are full of wood and sitting in my front garden, what with bonfire season coming up they may be stolen at some point, and wouldn't that be terrible :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I created a new thread a couple of days ago here about new Greyhound charges, which are very misleading. It seems everyone has been put onto this new Plan 1. Greyhound customers may well see their bin charges rocket, because they are charging 33 cent per kilo over 25kilos on black bins. There are 3 adults and 3 children living at my house and our bill is estimated to go from €300 to over €1000 per year based on the Plan 1 charges, which Greyhound automatically signed us up for. It's not possible to make savings as the letter suggests. The letter also says the additional charge is .33c, but 5 customer care reps have confrmed that its actually 33 cent per kilo over 25 kilos. I have added the link to the other thread below, so you can take a proper look.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056782345

• Site Banned Posts: 11 muller21

goz83 wrote: »
    I created a new thread a couple of days ago here about new Greyhound charges, which are very misleading. It seems everyone has been put onto this new Plan 1. Greyhound customers may well see their bin charges rocket, because they are charging 33 cent per kilo over 25kilos on black bins. There are 3 adults and 3 children living at my house and our bill is estimated to go from €300 to over €1000 per year based on the Plan 1 charges, which Greyhound automatically signed us up for. It's not possible to make savings as the letter suggests. The letter also says the additional charge is .33c, but 5 customer care reps have confrmed that its actually 33 cent per kilo over 25 kilos. I have added the link to the other thread below, so you can take a proper look.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056782345

You can beat the system Goz83. That option paying €330 for the year will let you put out as many bins as you want at one third of your estimated cost. :p

Just a warning about Oxigen's €14 per lift no standing charge scheme. They charged us the same amount for green bin lifts, which was totally unexpected.
    Their website gives absolutely no clarification on prices for green/black/brown bin lifts, which doesn't help, and we were told green bin lifts were free (as they were with Greyhound and DCC).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Just a warning about Oxigen's €14 per lift no standing charge scheme. They charged us the same amount for green bin lifts, which was totally unexpected.
    Their website gives absolutely no clarification on prices for green/black/brown bin lifts, which doesn't help, and we were told green bin lifts were free (as they were with Greyhound and DCC).
    Green bin lift is free with black bin lift.

Not your ornery onager

muller21 wrote: »
    You can beat the system Goz83. That option paying €330 for the year will let you put out as many bins as you want at one third of your estimated cost. :p

That's not reallybeating the system, considering it's an upfront fee and is still atleast 10% more than our current annual spend on the current greyhound rate.

Quesion about Oxigen:
    The €220 per year covers all black and green bin lifts, in so far as I can see, but what is the situation with brown bin charges? Are they inlcuded? Do they collect them? It's not clear on the website. I see a brown bin on one of the pages, but it only shows black and green bins when choosing an option. €220 per year is a reasonable upfront price I think, especially if the brown bin is included.

• Advertisement

Esel wrote: »
    Green bin lift is free with black bin lift.
    Indeed, but:

1) That's not what they said on the phone,
    2) Their website gives no details on price specifics, and the search function doesn't work, and
    3) The price to lift the green bin on its own is undefined - they can't just charge any arbitrary price for it after the fact.

Apart from that, I take exception to the price of €14 for a green bin lift, because the cost to process it is surely far less than that of the black bin, which requires landfill costs to be paid to the government.

goz83 wrote: »
    That's not reallybeating the system, considering it's an upfront fee and is still atleast 10% more than our current annual spend on the current greyhound rate.

Quesion about Oxigen:
    The €220 per year covers all black and green bin lifts, in so far as I can see, but what is the situation with brown bin charges? Are they inlcuded? Do they collect them? It's not clear on the website. I see a brown bin on one of the pages, but it only shows black and green bins when choosing an option. €220 per year is a reasonable upfront price I think, especially if the brown bin is included.

they dont do a brown bin, you either buy a compost or get back into the habit of putting your waste in the black bin.

it us took a while to get used to it

irishbird wrote: »
    they dont do a brown bin, you either buy a compost or get back into the habit of putting your waste in the black bin.

it us took a while to get used to it

Thanks. That's a bit of a shame, but I could live with it. Dont fancy going the whole composting route though.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

I was looking forward to leaving greyhound at the end of the year, and was shopping around for other companies, but now greyhound have reduced their annual fee and have a choice of plans, looks like they are the best value around. I notice on my greyhound account online they have the weight of the last few bin lifts. Its only a matter of time before we all have to pay by weight. We will all be going back to the open fire and burning our waste.
    Plan 1 - €60 annual fee. Black bin lift €6.50. brown bin lift 3.60. green bin free. Black waste over 25kgs 33c per kilo. Brown waste over 20kgs 24c per kg.
    Plan 2. - No annual fee. €15 per month. Put out bins as often as you like. No weight restrictions.
    Plan 3. - €175 annual fixed fee. Or €160.40 if paid in full by end of november. Covers all bins, no weight restriction.
    Plan 4 - No lift fee. Pay by weight. €100 annual fee. Black waste 0.26c per kilo. Brown waste 0.19c per kilo. Green bin free.

I was looking forward to leaving greyhound at the end of the year, and was shopping around for other companies, but now greyhound have reduced their annual fee and have a choice of plans, looks like they are the best value around. I notice on my greyhound account online they have the weight of the last few bin lifts. Its only a matter of time before we all have to pay by weight. We will all be going back to the open fire and burning our waste.
    Plan 1 - €60 annual fee. Black bin lift €6.50. brown bin lift 3.60. green bin free. Black waste over 25kgs 33c per kilo. Brown waste over 20kgs 24c per kg.
    Plan 2. - No annual fee. €15 per month. Put out bins as often as you like. No weight restrictions.
    Plan 3. - €175 annual fixed fee. Or €160.40 if paid in full by end of november. Covers all bins, no weight restriction.
    Plan 4 - No lift fee. Pay by weight. €100 annual fee. Black waste 0.26c per kilo. Brown waste 0.19c per kilo. Green bin free.

alexonhisown: Can you post up a couple of scans of your greyhound letter with the prices and maybe the front page with your name, house number and account number blacked out please? It would be really, really helpful. I ask, because I also live in donaghmede and plan 2 for me is €29 per month. Plan 3 is €330 for the year. Your prices are hals that of mine, even though you also live in Donaghmede.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

Its not exactly donaghmede, but its Clongriffin, Dublin 13, so I dont know why prices differ so much. Maybe different areas have more companies to choose from so Greyhound have to keep prices down in those areas. I am ringing first thing Monday to sign up the the yearly one for 160 in case they change their mind.:D

Thanks. Considering Clongriffin is less than 50 metres from my front door, I wonder why the prices are so different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

We weren't given an annual plan. I can't move until I use up my credit. They won't refund it.
    They tried telling me the pay per lift was cheaper than oxygen annual plan but the figures they gave me worked out dearer.
    Tried to get other options yo no avail.

I've no choice but to use my credit and then move when.its used up.

On principal, I will be switching, even if i'm offered the clongriffin prices. Greyhound are scum. I will burn garbage in my kitchen before I pay them another red cent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Its not exactly donaghmede, but its Clongriffin, Dublin 13, so I dont know why prices differ so much. Maybe different areas have more companies to choose from so Greyhound have to keep prices down in those areas. I am ringing first thing Monday to sign up the the yearly one for 160 in case they change their mind.:D

That's interesting. My plan 2 is €19 pm black and green collections plus €4 for brown which they say is a requirement in the Dublin city bye laws.

Advertisement