Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Council - Bin Collection Privatised/Greyhound Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,981 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Marmit3 wrote: »
    While i understand that you are angry, this is a rather unqualified post.
    Choosing not to recycle is a stupid decision. Like the 1.50 eu (not 9) every two weeks are going to kill you. Not recycling at all is not going to make that better and the environment will suffer. rather short-sighted thinking.
    Besides in rural areas you have to pay anyway.

And then insult an entire nation...

It's 9 quid for a pack of six bags. I doubt anyone is going to by bags in the singular. That's what I mean by "9 quid a pop".

Either way, it's a bloody joke.

...and it's the "not going to kill you" attitude that has the people of Ireland in the position they are today.

Greyhound are only interested in fleecing the public and maximising their profits.

I am interested in minimising the damage to my pocket.

Our interests don't coincide.

Choosing just to pay is a stupid decision...because you'll end up paying more next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

Tony EH wrote: »
    It's 9 quid for a pack of six bags. I doubt anyone is going to by bags in the singular. That's what I mean by "9 quid a pop".

Either way, it's a bloody joke.

...and it's the "not going to kill you" attitude that has the people of Ireland in the position they are today.

Greyhound are only interested in fleecing the public and maximising their profits.

I am interested in minimising the damage to my pocket.

Our interests don't coincide.

Choosing just to pay is a stupid decision...because you'll end up paying more next time.

I agree Tony, I have a large family and some weeks I would have 3 recycle bags, I cannot affort an extra 240 euro per annum to pay for something that is suppose to be free...

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Marmit3

i would prefer not to pay and i think nobody can really afford paying additional fees in the current climate. But choosing not to recycle as a result still seems like the wrong consequence.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Evenstevens

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    It's clearly the service you're paying 1.50 for, not the actual bag.

Ah I know that I wish they'd just say that then instead of pussy footing around hiding behind bag charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

All this rancour over Greyhound's practises - which is well justified - seems in danger of becoming rancour over the horror of having to pay to have your own waste disposed of - which obviously is very much unjustified.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

keane2097 wrote: »
    All this rancour over Greyhound's practises - which is well justified - seems in danger of becoming rancour over the horror of having to pay to have your own waste disposed of - which obviously is very much unjustified.
    One man's waste is another man's gold. We want them to collect our rubbish, and they want to collect our recyclables and sell the materials. There's three possibilities for how this works out:

1) Bin companies make a large profit by selling our neatly-packed recyclables.
    2) They break even or make a very small profit, what with the expenses for wages and logistics etc.
    3) They make less money selling the recyclables than it costs to provide the service.

If condition 1 is the case, then I think it's absolutely justified to complain about having to pay money when we're already giving them free material to sell. Why shouldn't they pay us money in exchange for the material they profit from? At the very least, it should be free, and then we're both gaining value from the service. Symbiosis and all that.

That said, I suspect that condition 2 is likely the case, and if they're badly organised, maybe condition 3. In which case, a reasonable charge is acceptable.
    But much less than what it costs for black bin service, which they can't really profit from and which is expensive to send to landfill etc. I don't think anyone disagrees about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I don't think it's justified to charge for bags for recycling, that's clear gouging, but the odd person ITT seems to think the waste should just magically vanish into the ether without their having to give it a second thought.

We're already paying MORE than enough in taxes to have these basic public services handled.

As citizens, I think we would all be very shocked to find out where our taxes are actually going and who benefits.

In addition, homeowners are also going to be forced to trump up more money later in the year, simply for the "privilege" of trying to buy a home for their family.

But where will that money go?

I doubt that it'll go to paying for local services, like refuse collection...

...like it should.

In addition, the idiots of this moron nation never seem to get it. These charges NEVER go down, they only go up. A few years ago, it was about 6 euro, or so for 3 bin tags. Now, with privatisation, we are paying over 10 Euro and in another couple of years it'll be 12 Euro and so on, until the cost becomes ridiculous like our gas and electricity prices, etc.

The simple fact is, we were/are ALREADY paying taxes that should go toward refuse handling.

This payment is just simple fleecing from an private enterprise that only gives a fuck about maximising their profit.

The government/councils of the day decided to abandon their responsibility for handling waste collection and put it out to a private firm that's beholden to no-one and will treat the citizen like ****.

But, still the tax is being paid into the coffers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

Icaruss wrote: »
    What happened to the days when you simply left your bin outside and it was collected. I've been waiting for greyhound to empty the blk bin since the end of September, something about needing a new chip. I've phoned and emailed many times, and they promise to send someone, but so far nothing. They must be one of the worst companies in Ireland. Looks like I'll be hiring a mini skip in the new year. B'stards.

This. We're in the exact same situation, between myself and my gf we've made about 10 calls and been fobbed off, messed around and generally lied to.

Has anyone taken Greyhound to the small claims court for not providing a service that's been paid for? Our black bin is a health hazard and we've nowhere to put our rubbish, surely they'd be liable? That's the next step for me I think, it's gone beyond a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭markiemark2005

€9 for 6 recycling bags in insane. It will discourage recycling. In Germany people are paid to recycle. Today I bought myself a large roll of see through bags in Tesco, similar to the Greyhound ones. I will be leaving my recycled rubbish out in these and if Greyhound chose not to collect them, then so be it. I am not paying one cent to that shower.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Emailed them earlier this week to not start me on any plan and that I was cancelling on January 15th as it would be 1 year since they started collecting and outside of 1 year I could get a refund. Clause 10.5 of their T&C's

I asked for confirmation that this instruction had been actioned....and guess what......

No response.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 Kempdelatuam

nudger wrote: »
    Just came on to do the same type of post, got a little red flyer in the door yesterday, and was having a look at the site today.
    Got a knock this evening from the red team, nice guy, no hard sell just plenty of info, seems like a good deal.
    Didn't see how many lifts there are each month on the web site but he said fortnightly.
    I'm with Oxygen so it's black and green every 2 weeks for €20, City bin works out at just over €8 a month for the first year.
    Mentioned to him that 5000 wouldn't last long, was it a marketing ploy and were there many people signed up, he said no problem, me thinks 5000 +++.
    Does anyone know is it Black every 2 weeks and green and brown 1 a month, forgot to ask him that.

the black bin is taken one week and the green and brown the following week (if you want the brown) so their outside your door every week, they also provide a free reminder text the evening before your collection reminding you which bin to put out,
    A top class service, Greyhound are just as they're named Grey and old fashioned with no Customer care what so ever, in fact look up this link it made me laugh :)
    The best complement City bin ever received!

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2012/12/14/revealed-the-dublin-bin-wars-dossier/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

city bin company are claiming 6 of their trucks have been targeted in an arson attack last night, This coming days after the greyhound "war on the reds" was exposed in the papers.

interesting times.

city bin company are claiming 6 of their trucks have been targeted in an arson attack last night, This coming days after the greyhound "war on the reds" was exposed in the papers.

interesting times.

Very. Are Greyhound still registered in the Isle of Man? Only a matter of time until some serious questions are asked about this company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭lensman

anyone have an update on Oxigen's missed collections in the navan rd blackhorse avenue D7 area last Thursday 13th, I called yesterday & they said they would check what went wrong & said just leave the bins out & they would get to them......still not collected:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

interesting times.

Just a coincidence then, I hope Grey Hound are shut down. Bunch of mafia gangsters. I'll be putting it to the folks to switch over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

moving back home to terenure very soon (hopefully next month) and will be ringing city bin straight away. i do have a slight worry that once they get a lot of customers they will hike their charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Just switched to them today, finally rid of Greyhound..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

No speculation re: the arson, this will result in bans

moving back home to terenure very soon (hopefully next month) and will be ringing city bin straight away. i do have a slight worry that once they get a lot of customers they will hike their charges.

Of course they will.

FFS, it's a no-brainer.

These companies ONLY care about their business, because it makes a profit for them and the only reason Citibin is offering a lower price is to poach unhappy customers away from **** like Greyhound.

As soon as there is a substantial rise in customers, there will be a rise in price. Don't kid yourself, Citibin are no better than Greyhound.

As far as refuse collection is concerned in Ireland, the only way is up...

...for the private bin collection firms.

• Advertisement

A link to the arson story. Not much information.

http://www.newstalk.ie/suspected-arson-attack-on-city-bin-vehicles

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭eboarde

Email received from Citybins:

Dear Eborade ,
    Just a short note to let you know that, despite the arson attack at our depot over the weekend, it will be business as usual and your service will be uninterrupted.
    From our discussions with Gardaí it would appear that some people would rather not see The City Bin Co. bring it's service model to the Dublin market.
    We won't be deterred or intimidated and we are more committed than ever to bringing a superior level of service to householders in Dublin City. We strongly believe that competition and choice is healthy for consumers and the industry.
    Finally, thank you for your messages of support over the weekend both directly and on the social media channels.
    Regards, Gene
    Gene Browne
    CEO

Winner: Deloitte Best Managed Companies (Ireland) 2009, 2010, 2011 & Gold Standard Winner 2012

The City Bin Co. | Oranmore Business Park | Oranmore | Galway | Ireland
    T: + 353 91 78 78 00 | F: + 353 91 78 78 17 | W: www.citybin.com
    The City Bin Co. | 14 The Exchange | Ballymount | Dublin 12 | Ireland
    T: +353 1 429 12 22 | F:+353 1 4291777| W: www.citybin.comThe City Bin Co. is registered in Dublin, Ireland, Registration Number 255472.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Got the same email, classy touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 fatleomessi

Of course they will.

FFS, it's a no-brainer.

These companies ONLY care about their business, because it makes a profit for them and the only reason Citibin is offering a lower price is to poach unhappy customers away from **** like Greyhound.

As soon as there is a substantial rise in customers, there will be a rise in price. Don't kid yourself, Citibin are no better than Greyhound.

Yeah.. if they get market share, they will rise.. But taking galway city as an example of where they have out competed the council and a place where there is no introductory offer.. the going rate is €13.25 per month which still works out a LOT cheaper than competitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Yeah.. if they get market share, they will rise.. But taking galway city as an example of where they have out competed the council and a place where there is no introductory offer.. the going rate is €13.25 per month which still works out a LOT cheaper than competitors.

Says on the city bin website though that their €15 price is guaranteed until 2015?

Of course they will.

FFS, it's a no-brainer.

Citybin have said the prices are Guaranteed until 2015!! so worry about it then, they seem to be a straight forward service business unlike Greyhound who are just a waste.

...and IIRC Greyhound said they wouldn't ever charge for recycling.

"Just pay it"

"Worry about it later"

No wonder we're taken for a ride in this country all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I just got a call back from GH after saying I wanted to cancel at the end of the year.

They had been offering me a pay per lift or a monthly fee of €29 for 2 black bins.
    Having refused to budge over the last few months on the above stating the usual and not accepting that in 26 years at this address we never used 2 black bins.
    They have now offered me 19€ pm for a black and green bin and €4 for a brown (rarely use it).

Since CB arent in my area and Oxigen are €20 pm I save €12 per annum (for now) and will await CB to collect 2 streets from where they currently are.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

lensman wrote: »
    anyone have an update on Oxigen's missed collections in the navan rd blackhorse avenue D7 area last Thursday 13th, I called yesterday & they said they would check what went wrong & said just leave the bins out & they would get to them......still not collected:eek:

They had been collecting our bins in the evenings for the last few months so I would put them out around 7am on Thursdays but on the 13th the fuppers drove past my door at 7am hadn't the time to get shoes and open the door.

So might have been a new crew or something.

• Advertisement

Advertisement