Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Council - Bin Collection Privatised/Greyhound Megathread

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i moved to Oxigen a few weeks ago but i cannot get Greyhound to collect their bins.

at this stage i am just thinking about dumping them outside the council offices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭lensman

I hear greyhound want to charge €25 to remove their bins:mad: I have a good rip saw & intend to cut them up into small pieces & put them in my oxigen bin :D

i have been on them for 15 mins they have logged that i want new bins delievered not collected even though i have it in writing that they were collecting them on the 29th June.

Now Des is on to head off for 10mins demanding to speak to a manager.

lensman wrote: »
    I hear greyhound want to charge €25 to remove their bins:mad: I have a good rip saw & intend to cut them up into small pieces & put them in my oxigen bin :D

I would send them back to them

irishbird wrote: »
    i have been on them for 15 mins they have logged that i want new bins delievered not collected even though i have it in writing that they were collecting them on the 29th June.

Now Des is on to head off for 10mins demanding to speak to a manager.
    whats your collection day with oxigen? they have 2 calanders on their site for dublin

• Advertisement

whats your collection day with oxigen? they have 2 calanders on their site for dublin

every second Thursday. it is due to collected this thursday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

They are actually the worst CS I've ever dealt with, even worse than UPC at this stage.

Ignoring emails, pretending they didn't get emails, not logging calls, pretending that they never agreed to a call back.

I reckon they are just out to piss off as many customers as possible.

What a shower of complete ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭kingaaa

OK, just got off the phone from Oxigen and have signed up for the €20 a month service, lets see how long it takes greyhound to collect their bins.

kingaaa wrote: »
    OK, just got off the phone from Oxigen and have signed up for the €20 a month service, lets see how long it takes greyhound to collect their bins.

we have a direct line number and a name if you are having problems;) ours are now supposed to be collected today.

make sure you get everything in writing by email AND post so you have a record of everything. it was invaluable today

• Registered Users Posts: 46 autronica

Got ours collected today after 3 months of trying
    Make sure they are empty as greyhound will use any excuse not to remove.

• Advertisement

autronica wrote: »
    Got ours collected today after 3 months of trying
    Make sure they are empty as greyhound will use any excuse not to remove.
    did you have to pay a fee ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

That's what I'm going to do. I've been waiting for them to pick them up for 6 months and now I'm sick of it. They want me to pay the €50 standing charge before I can pay €7 for the one bin lift I had from them in January and they refuse to take away the mins without these payments.

Our bin is finally gone.

The van has just hightailed it up the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 autronica

did you have to pay a fee ?
    No Fee.

Never had an account with them, as soon DCC changed we went with Oxygen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Have I got this correct?

Greyhound:

€100 registration/standing fee
    €7 per pick up (black bin) every fortnight
    Green bin collection is free
    Brown bin is €2 per pick up

Based on 52 weeks = €282 p/a

Oxigen:

€0 registration/standing fee
    €20 per month for 2 pick ups (black bin) per month
    Green bin collection is free
    No Brown bin pick up offered
    Send you a text message the day prior to collection as a reminder

Based on 52 weeks = €240 p/a

Saving €42 per annum, and apparently a lot of grief in customer service issues?!

Actually - what happens when Greyhound charge per pick up every fortnight i.e. 26 lifts, and Oxigen charge for 2 lifts per month i.e. 24 lifts?! Do Oxigen just fall in and collect the other 2 as per calendar?

your figures are correct, I moved to oxigen 2 weeks ago when greyhound came looking for €50 (2nd part €50 standing charge) just before the announced the lift increase to €7, they left my full bin on the street tue morning so I signed with oxigen on tue afternoon €20 per month deal, bins delivered following sat first collection following thurs, black & green bins collected together.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 bakubaku1

Hi Lads

I apply recently for mortgage, Originally I’m from Poland, and have been living in Ireland for last 7 years, and just wandering do I need to run credit check back in Poland as well . Have had missed few repayments 8 yrs. ego in Poland. Is this will appear on my credit score here. Did lenders here will ask me for credit check back from Poland?
    Thanks for replays

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Just had a look at my account on Greyhound's website and noticed that since the middle of June they have listed the weight of my black bin. Does this mean they are going to start charging me by weight soon. I only put the black bin out once every eight weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Does anyone know what the story with Greyhounds Green BAG collection is? They consistently fail to collect from my street (Dublin 8) and have said that you need to register for Green bag collection. Is this true? And if so, how do they know which bag is yours when it's sitting amongst countless others on the side of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

A Disgrace wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the story with Greyhounds Green BAG collection is? They consistently fail to collect from my street (Dublin 8) and have said that you need to register for Green bag collection. Is this true? And if so, how do they know which bag is yours when it's sitting amongst countless others on the side of the road.

Im having issues with them too, im in inchicore so probably on the same route as you as my rubbish is bags also.

Not good enough to just randomly miss a collection in my opinion. Its not like the rubbish can just be left there until they get around to picking it up, I would have thought a fundamental in waste management would be collecting the bags the morning after its been left out...reliably!

Abbey waste do this area so if it happens once more im changing, chancers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

bakubaku1 wrote: »
    Hi Lads

I apply recently for mortgage, Originally I’m from Poland, and have been living in Ireland for last 7 years, and just wandering do I need to run credit check back in Poland as well . Have had missed few repayments 8 yrs. ego in Poland. Is this will appear on my credit score here. Did lenders here will ask me for credit check back from Poland?
    Thanks for replays
    Hi Baku. Your questions do not relate to this forum/thread. I hope it all goes OK for you! :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 5,751 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I went with Thorntons back in February - it was €7.50 a lift and "5% extra if you topped up online" -

Just went back to my account to top up today - July - and it's €8.50 a lift and "3% extra if you top up online"

Never even got a letter from them announcing the increase.

The whole shower of them are the same.

That's €7.12 a lift up to €8.25 approx after the discount in each case.

That's a 15% increase.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

From Greyhound website

Greyhound Daily Service Update

SDCC
    Collection Rate 99.5%

Average Call Wait Time 55 Seconds

DCC

Collection Rate 99.6%

Average Call Wait Time 1.29 Seconds

So what are you all complaining about???????;)

Closed my Greyhound account today Free Free free:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Tricky situation here:

Moved into a house about 10 weeks ago (was away for 8 of those) and have put stuff into the Greyhound bins. We haven't paid Greyhound for anything yet though and don't intend to as I "switched" to Oxegen yesterday and signed up for their 20 a month plan (so much simpler than Greyhound's mental system).

Unfortunately those Greyhound bins still have something in them and I don't really want to have 5 bins sitting out front of the house when the Oxegen ones arrive.

Short of emptying them onto my lawn and piling the stuff into the new bins, is there any way Greyhound will collect and remove those bins with stuff in them, even for a small charge? Given this thread, will they even bother to come and remove them?

MJohnston wrote: »
    Tricky situation here:

Moved into a house about 10 weeks ago (was away for 8 of those) and have put stuff into the Greyhound bins. We haven't paid Greyhound for anything yet though and don't intend to as I "switched" to Oxegen yesterday and signed up for their 20 a month plan (so much simpler than Greyhound's mental system).

Unfortunately those Greyhound bins still have something in them and I don't really want to have 5 bins sitting out front of the house when the Oxegen ones arrive.

Short of emptying them onto my lawn and piling the stuff into the new bins, is there any way Greyhound will collect and remove those bins with stuff in them, even for a small charge? Given this thread, will they even bother to come and remove them?

I was told that they won't remove my bins until I pay an outstanding balance of €7 for a bin lift before the hand over was complete, and to pay the €7 I'd have to pay the €50 six month charge. Maybe you'll have better luck. I'm going to cut mine up and put them in the recycling bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

I saw second hand bins for sale on done deal, just a thought

kylith wrote: »
    I'm going to cut mine up and put them in the recycling bin.
    deelite wrote: »
    I saw second hand bins for sale on done deal, just a thought

I wouldn't do either, the bins are the property of the company that supplied them.

Des wrote: »
    I wouldn't do either, the bins are the property of the company that supplied them.

The company that I supplied them, DCC, has washed their hands of them, Greyhound refuse to collect them unless I cough up €60, and I'm sick of having 6 bins in my front garden. What would you suggest I do with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

kylith wrote: »
    The company that I supplied them, DCC, has washed their hands of them, Greyhound refuse to collect them unless I cough up €60, and I'm sick of having 6 bins in my front garden. What would you suggest I do with them?
    That sounds pretty frustrating. I'd probably take the bags out of those bins and deal with them somehow (i.e. somehow force them into the new Oxigen bins), then tell Greyhound to pick up their empty bins immediately.
    They can't force you to keep their property on your premises unless you pay them - that's extortion.

If they gave you any more hassle I'd tell them that their bins have already been placed for sale on Donedeal or something, even if it's not true. :P

Someone called us today to offer a bin service with (apparently) no standing charge but a €14 lift fee - dunno who it is, though.
    This would suit me since we've put the black bin out twice this year, and we don't use the brown bin at all, yet Greyhound have contrived to convert my balance of €78 or so into -€4 within a couple of months, with no explanation of how on their customer website, which apparently doesn't even state what the lift charges are.

A few months ago, I asked them to swap our 240L bin for a 140L one, and they took the old one away and replaced it with an old 120L one a week later. I called them again and asked them to try again with an actual 140L bin, so they took it away and left us with no bin for about a month, before replacing it with a 240L bin again after I made another exasperated phone call. Brilliant!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

I went with Thorntons back in February - it was €7.50 a lift and "5% extra if you topped up online" -

Just went back to my account to top up today - July - and it's €8.50 a lift and "3% extra if you top up online"

Never even got a letter from them announcing the increase.

The whole shower of them are the same.

That's €7.12 a lift up to €8.25 approx after the discount in each case.

That's a 15% increase.
    Isn't there some law that protects consumers against this kind of mid-contract price shenanigans? For example, you can exit contracts early with the likes of UPC and mobile providers without penalty if they change their T&Cs.

But in this case, if you've paid a large standing fee up front, it seems unfair that they could force you to either pay the increased charges or let them keep the standing charge you paid in advance.
    Maybe you can ask that they return the portion of the standing charge covering their service from the date of the T&C changes onward? Seems only right.

Advertisement