Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Council - Bin Collection Privatised/Greyhound Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

Don't be so offended Stephen. I was just correcting some misinformation in this thread and offering advice to people stuck with old DCC bin tags that they can get a full refund on them from DCC.

Your advice no doubt was good intentioned but it was incorrect, DCC haven't been selling bin tags since Greyhound took over the service in early January and Greyhound haven't been taking DCC tags since March 16th.

PS there was really no need for the abusive PM either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

stephen97 banned for a week for uncivil language.

If there was an abusive PM please report it, as you would a post, thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Emma1980

Anyone receive a letter looking for the 2nd half of the 100euro payment by July 1st? Just wondering if anyone knows are they going to put there charges on the pay by weight system - they only guaranteed the dcc prices until june....nothing in the letter about it and nothing on the website!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Emma1980 wrote: »
    Anyone receive a letter looking for the 2nd half of the 100euro payment by July 1st? Just wondering if anyone knows are they going to put there charges on the pay by weight system - they only guaranteed the dcc prices until june....nothing in the letter about it and nothing on the website!

Yeah I got one yesterday. It's funny how everyone claimed the "Corpo" did sweet f'all in dublin. Well they obviously did something because since this crowd took over the amount of rubbish in the street is beyond a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭SilverLiningOK

Got a letter from Greyhound this morning re: increased bin charges. The Black Bin is going up from €6 to €7. That may not seem much, but how long before it slowly creeps up to €10. They are also penalizing anyone who pays less than €20 through post offices by 90c.

This privatisation of the service is pure money grabbing and will largely go unnoticed by many. What's the chances that the annual service charge will also increase along with further lift charges ?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

right so our bins got robbed at some point today:rolleyes:

so i am going to look at my options again - who have people in Finglas gone with ?

Stick a fork in me i am done!!

so our bins got robbed, spoke to Greyhound yesterday, was told 25e for each bin. They could order the bins put it on my account which would put my account in arrears which was fine but they would not collect my bins until there was money on the account.

phoned up today to order the bins, was i would have to pay for the bins up front, due to Ulster Banks **** up I dont have enough money in my account to pay for them.

I asked if i close my account will they refund the money on the account. i was told no, i will have to forfiet all credits on my account.

they also refused to give me a statement of my account, due to the fact i have put my black bin out once since January, i am not sure where the credit on my account has gone to

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭vikingdub

stephen97 wrote: »
    because greyhound is privately owned and possibly no unions, they could in theory exploit their workers,

More because the DCC crew collected the bins in a timely fashion on the correct days - a performance level that Greyhound has failed to achieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭SilverLiningOK

vikingdub wrote: »
    More because the DCC crew collected the bins in a timely fashion on the correct days - a performance level that Greyhound has failed to achieve.

I have seen them at all hours of the day and night, even at the weekend. And there are still uncollected bins staying on the street for weeks ? Regardless if the bill isn't paid, this is not right. The place is a right mess. DCC did their job and were not appreciated. People are under the false illusion that private is good and public is bad. This just doesn't add up. We were tricked here and got an inferior "service" as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Why was this service sold ? It's no bloody benefit to anyone, they are a shower of cowboys not even a year in and there hiking up prices. Actually feel like getting my bin and emptying it's contents on the road, let DCC deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

msg11 wrote: »
    Why was this service sold ? It's no bloody benefit to anyone, they are a shower of cowboys not even a year in and there hiking up prices. Actually feel like getting my bin and emptying it's contents on the road, let DCC deal with it.

Because people screamed for privatistion (sp), with the assumption that the private sector could deliver the same service for cheaper. I and many before me warned about this last year on this board and on various others, but people laughed away.

Unfortuneatly (sp), this is only one area where people screamed for private sector influence to a public sector service with the hopes and dreams that the private sector will do it cheaper, more efficently and with a smile. I for one would welcome DCC back collecting my bins tomorrow.

i have just discovered they have been trying to take money from my account since last wednesday. I cancelled the automatic top up in February when they took a random amount and couldnt tell me why they took it. Yet still refused to refund it.

i am sending a registered letter on Monday closing my account and giving them my solicitors details.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Cheezypuf

Anyone know if the bin tags will be going up too? I might stock up if they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

irishbird wrote: »
    right so our bins got robbed at some point today:rolleyes:

so i am going to look at my options again - who have people in Finglas gone with ?
    Oxigen are now collecting on the northside, and they have a choice of three plans.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Cheezypuf wrote: »
    The three-pack is going up to €10.50 from €9.

ethernet wrote: »
    The three-pack is going up to €10.50 from €9.

Thanks

I just stocked up on a whole pile of them before they put the price up.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭paudgenator

Just great. Got letter today from Greyhound informing me of the increased bin charges from €3.60 to €4.20...no surprise there I guess.

Letter dated 1 June, arrived today.....new charges apply from 1 July!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Cheezypuf wrote: »

Yep, going from €9 to €10.50 from next week. I'm most definitely going to stock up (if my local shop has any of them left!)

ETA - thanks for the reminder - just got three packs of them for the old price - that should be me in tags for the next year or more :D

What bets the feckers go and change the tag colour or something :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭vikingdub

kceire wrote: »
    Because people screamed for privatistion (sp), with the assumption that the private sector could deliver the same service for cheaper. I and many before me warned about this last year on this board and on various others, but people laughed away.

Unfortuneatly (sp), this is only one area where people screamed for private sector influence to a public sector service with the hopes and dreams that the private sector will do it cheaper, more efficently and with a smile. I for one would welcome DCC back collecting my bins tomorrow.

The only people screaming for privatization were the so-called Executive of DCC, Tierney and his ilk. The fact the the FFers had transferred power from the elected representatives to the "executive" made it possible to ignore the calls from the elected representatives to provide details of the secretive manner in which the "disposal" was handled. The justification for the "disposal" as the cost of the waste collection service, yet at no time were we provided with a breakdown of the actual cost of the collection. In other words strip out the cost of the City manager, multiple assistant and executive city managers and other overpaid incompetent apparatchiks and provide the actual costs of the staff, vehicles and equipment required to provide the waste collection service. Had those figures been in the public domain, I think we would have found that the DCC waste collection was more than cost effective.

Esel wrote: »
    Oxigen are now collecting on the northside, and they have a choice of three plans.

signed up to Oxigen last week, got the new bins but am having trouble getting Greyhound to pick up their old bins.

has anyone had any success, i have just told them i am going to start charging a storage fee if they dont remove immediately

• Advertisement

Nice to see a public representative finally speaking out. What we need now is someone to actually do something about it.
    TD criticises Greyhound price increase

Sunday Business Post
    July 1, 2012
    Greyhound Waste has been accused of overcharging customers as a result of its latest price hike. The company has blamed new landfill levy charges for the increase.

The firm's new charges for waste collection for Dublin city will see a EUR 1 increase from EUR 6 to EUR 7 in the price of a 240-litre wheelie bin. A 60 cent hike from EUR 3.60 to EUR 4.20 will apply to a 140-litre wheelie bin, and a 50 cent increase from EUR 3 to EUR 3.50 for a bag and tag.

Labour TD Kevin Humphreys has accused the company of charging a premium over and above the landfill levy increase of EUR 15 per tonne, and has compared the Greyhound weight structure to that of its competitor, Greenstar.

A spokesman for Greyhound disputed this, and said that the firm calculated its prices based on the average tonnage of Greyhound waste trucks after collection. "This is a different metric that is being applied. You're not comparing like with like when referring to other companies. Our figures are calculated on an average bin weight and you have some bins weighing in excess of 110 kilogrammes. People manage to get this into a 240-litre bin, so it is based on an average," he said.

Humphreys maintained that the company was charging customers 55 per cent more for a bag and tag than the cost of the landfill levy increase. He also said Greyhound had included a 33 per cent mark-up on the 240-litre wheelie bin charge, charging customers 25 per cent above increase the reflected in the levy. The TD based his prices on a published pricing structure adopted by competitor Greenstar in respect of the average weights it applies to the same bins.

Greenstar's metric allocates three standard black bags, averaging 45 kilogrammes, to a 240-litre wheelie bin. Based on a EUR 15 levy increase, the cost of a 240-litre wheelie bin weighing in at 45 kilogrammes should be 68 cent instead of EUR 1, Humphreys believes.

But Greyhound insisted that the 240-litre bins often had weights of double that. "We know what that average is -- every single truck is weighed so we know the volume of waste and we have an average calculation," the spokesman said. "We cannot dictate our business based on a Greenstar analysis. We're a bigger company so our averages are going to be different."

Humphreys wants the Oireachtas environment and local government committee to give local authorities the power to summon waste management companies and ask them to account for price increases.

"In the coming weeks, final proposals for the new national waste policy are to be submitted to government which will include household waste collection."

"I will be looking for local authorities to have the power to summon waste management companies to justify price increases, assuming a franchise system isn't introduced."

He described it as "disingenuous" of Greyhound to blame the government for its decision to increase the cost of waste collections in Dublin city, "considering it was Greyhound's chief executive and founder, Brian Buckley, who called for the trebling of the landfill levy in 2009".

Copyright 2012 Thomas Crosbie Media Ltd.All Rights Reserved
    Sunday Business Post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

we will be moving back to dublin in august, can anyone recommend companies bar greyhound for terenure?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

we will be moving back to dublin in august, can anyone recommend companies bar greyhound for terenure?
    Oxigen, if they do your area (think they do).

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭lensman

anyone got a list or link to oxigens current domestic wheelie bin pricing for dublin ? I've searched their site & can't find any,..I rang them & they seem to operate a call back service, or a no call back service :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭zacseph

I was sure the second half of the annual charge was another €50 for dublin city areas - They've just charged €60 to my account for some reason...
    grrr etc. :mad:

lensman wrote: »
    anyone got a list or link to oxigens current domestic wheelie bin pricing for dublin ? I've searched their site & can't find any,..I rang them & they seem to operate a call back service, or a no call back service :(

i got this mail from them last week. we went with the 20e per month lift
    As per our conversation earlier:

Fixed Charge: 20.00 per month

Option 1 PBU: Service Charge 60.00
    Lift price : Waste and Recycling : 8.85

Option 2 PBU: No service charge
    Lift price: Waste and Recycling: 14.00
    Must pay for 3 lifts in advance (42.00)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭kingaaa

Cant beleive those f*%kers at greyhound, idiots never collected my grey bin 2 weeks ago last friday - took 10 calls and 7 days to get it picked up and it was REEKING after 3 weeks worh of rubbish in the humid weather! Then what do the idiots go and do? miss it again last friday!!!finished nights at 6.30 this morning and waited up until 8 to ring them to find out what was going on - a very nice girl informed me that the second installment of my service charge was due and therefore my account was not in credit - so they took it off the back of the truck and left it on the pavement, still full! They never sent me notice of the due payment - or even had the savvy to mention it on any of the 10 phone calls the previous week! I dont give a **** - I'm movint to a different company. Lads, I'm shattered at this stage and need my bed, who will give me the best service in Dublin 5 and how much will it cost for just the black and green bins? I'm too tired to go back over the entire thread!!

I had the same problem with greyhound, last Jan I paid €50 standing charge & enough lift payments to get me to July, they did send me a letter end of June saying I must pay the remaining €50 standing charge or my bin would not be lifted,..well they were as good as their word & left my bin on the side of the road last week,..I contacted Oxigen on Wed & signed up to their €20 a month option with no standing charge, the delivered my new black & green bins last Sat morning & I have them out for collection now Monday 9th, fingers crossed.
    Based on my fortnightly usage I'm saving over €40 per year.
    Greyhound 26 lifts @ €7 = €182 + €100 SC = €282. (black/green bins collected alternate weeks)
    Oxigen €20 per month X 12 = €240 (black & green bins collected same day)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Hold on a sec...I paid the full whack of 100 Euro in January, now they took another 50 quid for the 'standing charge'? I thought, it is for the bin lifts as such :confused:

• Advertisement

The letter I got thanked me for paying the 1st €50 of the €100 standing charge but then went on to remind me that I had neglected to sign up for their automatic payment, I logged on & tried to make sense of their billing system & failed, I could not see options to pay standing charge &/or bin lifts as a separate option, it seems they want you to pay €X amount & they will assign the payments to where ever they like, @Lars1916 if you paid €100 SC last Jan & now they took another €50 SC it seems they are trying to tie you in until mid 2013 & you still need to pay for bin lifts until then, chances are come next Jan they will take another €50 SC to cover the 2nd part of 2013, sneaky bast**ds ;)

Advertisement