Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Council - Bin Collection Privatised/Greyhound Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Spoke with City Bins re the 99 offer, sounds good to me. Bye Bye Greyhound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

By the way, how are people getting on cancelling with Greyhound? Any hassles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Im trying to get citybins to do my road. its 2 roads away from where they do collect...will know monday

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Not sure if mentioned already, but I have had serious difficulty getting my hands on Green Bags from Greyhound lately. I mailed them and they actually called me back to say they'd stopped sending them out and that they where now available from Dublin City Council.

I called into Wood Quay DCC and they laughed and informed me that Greyhound had stopped sending them out to them because they were going through so many.

The upshot is that I have to throw out my recyclables with the normal rubbish.

And today I see in my local Spar that they are now selling Greyhound Green bags at 6 for €9...

Ridiculous.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you are anywhere near the Ringsend or North Strand Dublin City Council depots, they will take the recycling bags for free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,884 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

A Disgrace wrote: »
    Not sure if mentioned already, but I have had serious difficulty getting my hands on Green Bags from Greyhound lately. I mailed them and they actually called me back to say they'd stopped sending them out and that they where now available from Dublin City Council.

I called into Wood Quay DCC and they laughed and informed me that Greyhound had stopped sending them out to them because they were going through so many.

The upshot is that I have to throw out my recyclables with the normal rubbish.

And today I see in my local Spar that they are now selling Greyhound Green bags at 6 for €9...

Ridiculous.

I'm not surprised they were going through them at a rate of knots - I have about a year's stockpile of the things, despite putting at least one bag out for every collection. I use them for my ordinary bin bag as well, just stick a sticker on them (no wheelie bins on my road), but I'll stop that now if they're going to be charging for the green bags!

It will certainly act as a disincentive to recycling.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

nudger wrote: »
    If I change to citybin I will get another 3 bins so now I have 8, will Oxygen take their 2 back does anyone know?

The Greyhound ones in time are going to be cleaned out and turned into rain harvesters for the greenhouse, when I get a chance, water charges coming in down the road.
    Nice idea! I also have two Greyhound bins sitting uselessly in the garden, and perhaps the Oxigen ones will be going the same way after their idiotic behaviour over green bin collections. Maybe we can turn them into some kind of awful, incredibly dangerous DIY Segways.

The City Bin service looks decent as far as the introductory offer goes. After that, it looks similar to some of Greyhound and Oxigen's plans. I checked if they do a smaller black bin service, since we so rarely fill ours, but couldn't find anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

zynaps wrote: »
    Nice idea! I also have two Greyhound bins sitting uselessly in the garden, and perhaps the Oxigen ones will be going the same way after their idiotic behaviour over green bin collections. Maybe we can turn them into some kind of awful, incredibly dangerous DIY Segways.

The City Bin service looks decent as far as the introductory offer goes. After that, it looks similar to some of Greyhound and Oxigen's plans. I checked if they do a smaller black bin service, since we so rarely fill ours, but couldn't find anything.

Found the customer service spot on.
    Had a query about cabra and she cme back to me today and will talk to her boss on monday to see if i can be sorted out. They do 2 roads away but not me..yet

Found the customer service spot on.
    Had a query about cabra and she cme back to me today and will talk to her boss on monday to see if i can be sorted out. They do 2 roads away but not me..yet
    Customer service always seems a little friendlier before they've signed you up as a customer, though ;) It's when you've had a problem with the service or complain about being overcharged that things seem less rosy - that's been my experience with Oxigen, anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Just a suggestion, if you get on with one of your neighbours would they be interested in sharing the bin/bill?

Ours is always full and next door is worse :pac:.

• Advertisement

Just a suggestion, if you get on with one of your neighbours would they be interested in sharing the bin/bill?

Ours is always full and next door is worse :pac:.
    Hmm, that's something to look into. We usually fill the green bin about once a month, and the black bin every 2 or 3 months, so sharing is probably feasible :)

Hmm, that's something to look into. We usually fill the green bin about once a month, and the black bin every 2 or 3 months, so sharing is probably feasible :)

Jesus, do you not eat at all or do you burn everything in an open fire.

I often have to do Riverdance in the black bin to get the last bag in.

Jesus, do you not eat at all or do you burn everything in an open fire.

I often have to do Riverdance in the black bin to get the last bag in.
    We closed off the fireplace last year, but the vast majority of stuff can be recycled, and I rinse out and jump on the plastic milk bottles etc to flatten them as much as possible. The main thing that takes up space in the black bin is nappies, and we'll hopefully be done with those in a few months time :)

We closed off the fireplace last year, but the vast majority of stuff can be recycled, and I rinse out and jump on the plastic milk bottles etc to flatten them as much as possible. The main thing that takes up space in the black bin is nappies, and we'll hopefully be done with those in a few months time :)

You wont be dancing in your bin so, neighbours must love the bang off your bin in the summer if you get 2 -3 months out of it.

Think I'll give citybin a buzz in the morning to see if the deal is still on.

You wont be dancing in your bin so, neighbours must love the bang off your bin in the summer if you get 2 -3 months out of it.
    I'm not sure how you pack your rubbish, but we put ours in bags and the bin has a lid, so it doesn't stink. Otherwise we'd put it out before it was full... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

I took a trip down to shamrock cottages on Friday with a bag of paper & carboard and a bag of cans & plastic, The DCC guy was a gentlemen, he brought me into the office and gave me a flyer with a list of all the free items I can recycle and showed me which bins I use.

If you can make your way to the North Strand or Ringsend do it, Don't pay these CROOKS to recycle you green rubbish...

Also they only except your recycling rubbish 10-4pm Mon - Frid :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

For anyone around the Guinness Brewery, there's a paper, plastic, and can recycling bin on Marrowbone Lane. It's outside the depot, so is available outside of usual recycling centre opening hours.

I gave Oxigen a buzz today as I'm with them at the moment, thought I'd be fair to them, tell them I'm thinking of changing to city for €99, what can you do for me?

Quite surprised, nothing, I was sure they would have been willing to give city a black eye but no.:(

They told me to be very careful about the 500kg limit as they were sure that it did kick in in the first year and that it was not possible financially to do the collections at that price.

I mentioned loss leaders and all that but no go.

Rang Citybin told them I wanted the no weight restriction in writing (email), they said no probs.

Tomorrow morning citybin gets my business, they will hold off until 1st of Jan and Oxigen need a months notice so I have an overlap of about a fortnight, handy around this time of year, I save €141 for the year, get an extra bin (brown) and Oxigen want their bins back.:)

Citybin collections are Black one week then green and brown the next and the 500kg limit is only on the Black bin.

Edit: just as an experiment I weighed a full black bag today, 17kg we don't have a brown bin so a lot of gone off fruit and peel in it so quite heavy. we would normally put around 3 of these in in a fortnight so around 50 kg full bin.

Next year city will give 26 black bin lifts a year, if my average bin is 50 kg, weight restriction gone = 1300kg - 500kg = 800kg @ €0.30 a kilo = €240 + €15 a month = €420, back to Oxigen so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Halycon days

My latest e-mail exchange with greyhound over their services....

Dear Ms./Mrs. ******,

Thank you for your reply.

I am confused and dismayed by your e-mail, and the number of contradictions within it. I am left with reaching only one of two conclusions either you think very lowly of my understanding of your business as an outsider or you do not understand it yourself.

To be more specific while quoting your reply....

1) '"No commercial service can provide a service free of charge" - Correct me if I'm wrong but Greyhound has provided a commercial service to Dublin customers free of charge for at least the 8 years I've lived here. So if wasn't free then what was it?(I know, do you?)

2) "The price of 9 Euros a roll is the cheapest in the market" - For a roll of 6 bags, that have the greyhound recycling emblem on them you are correct. But for a roll of 6 bags, that I can purchase at any newsagent or grocery, you are the most expensive on the market. But I'm missing the point, correct? I'm not paying for the bags but the service you provide. For 9 euros, it is a lot more cost efficient for me to take my bags to a Dublin bring centre free of charge. So tell me again - how or by what manner are you the cheapest in the market?

3a) "the sharp fall in the market value of recyclables" - So what you told the whole of Dublin in your announcement was the Market Value for recyclables has collapsed, right? Market Value is based on the simple concept of supply and demand. So either, people are recycling more than ever before and the supply has gone through the roof,(which is highly doubtful considering Ireland's population reduction and continued outward emigration due to the lagging economy), leading to decrease in the price of recyclables or the companies that would purchase recycled materials have decided that they would prefer to use non-recycled raw material to produce their products. Again, this is highly doubtful, what company would decide to move away from recycled material in favor of more expensive alternatives in any environment much less a recessionary one.

3b) "the sharp fall in the market value of recyclables" - So what you're telling me is the recyclable rubbish, I and the rest of your Dublin city 'customers' provide you with have a secondary value and after we provide you with the raw material, you then resell these items to processing plants for a profit, so my rubbish can be turned into re-usable milk cartons, pizza boxes, newspaper, etc. etc, that I can again repurchase from the companies that utilize recyclable material. Again, this 'free of charge' service greyhound has provided to Dublin city for all these years has in fact been 'free of charge'. Not free of charge, of course to me, but free of charge to you. While you would like to portray yourself as a business that provides a service to Dublin City customers, it is actually Dublin City that provides a service to you by allowing you take our rubbish for free, so that you can resell it.

To put it into words that you might understand, without the recycled material I and the rest of Dublin city provide you free of charge - Greyhound does not have a recycling business. I and the rest of the Dublin population are not your customers, we are your suppliers. And now you want to charge us for the privilege of providing you with a means by which you profit. Sorry that is not how this works.

Now that we have come full circle, I refer back to my original statement about the conclusions I had come in regards to you and your company, clearly neither of you understand what you're doing, because if you did you wouldn't underestimate your would-be suppliers and the impact it will ultimately have on your business and your jobs.

As far as the recycling bags I ordered from you under the old contract and that you have failed to deliver, no worries, keep them I'm tired of providing you with free recyclables anyways.

Regards,

One of your soon to be many former suppliers

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Macatack

So greyhound want us to pay 9 euro for 6 recycling bags so thats 1.50 euro a bag that sometimes are not even recycled.Seen greyhound doing a black bag waste collection recently and was shocked to see them at the same time throwing in the recycling bags as well into the same truck ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

I wonder will they try and stop someone from walking over to the recycling truck and trowing there recycling waste in thereself..
    I'm thinking about trying this if i'm at home when they arrive....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,977 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Just heard that we now have to pay for the bags we put our recycling into and at 9 quid a pop!!! 9 quid??? WTF?

So Greyhound can fuck off. I'm not paying that.

All of my recycling will go into a black bag until they reverse this crap.

Privatisation of basic public services should NEVER happen, because we, the people, end up getting fucked and not in the nice way.

But, I'm sure that our house tax coming next year will be used to pay for these local services...

...oh, wait a second.

Ireland is a nation of idiots, run by a bunch of cunts.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Just heard that we now have to pay for the bags we put our recycling into and at 9 quid a pop!!! 9 quid??? WTF?

So Greyhound can fuck off. I'm not paying that.

Privatisation of basic public services should NEVER happen, because we, the people, end up getting fucked and not in the nice way.

But, I'm sure that our house tax coming next year will be used to pay for these local services...

...oh, wait a second.

While I agree with the general principle of your rant, I feel I should point out that it's 9 quid for six bags, so 1.50 a pop.

But all the rest of it - hear hear :mad:

ETA - except that I'm not an idiot, or I don't think I am anyway.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Icaruss

What happened to the days when you simply left your bin outside and it was collected. I've been waiting for greyhound to empty the blk bin since the end of September, something about needing a new chip. I've phoned and emailed many times, and they promise to send someone, but so far nothing. They must be one of the worst companies in Ireland. Looks like I'll be hiring a mini skip in the new year. B'stards.

Signed up to citybin.

I will say read the terms and conditions, there is a mention of "if your bin is over 50kg" bla bla think it was €0.13 cent per kilo after that.

The deal is ment to have no weight restriction, so ?

In fairness if you are offering a very good deal there should have some sort of limit as not to be abused.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Evenstevens

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    While I agree with the general principle of your rant, I feel I should point out that it's 9 quid for six bags, so 1.50 a pop.

But all the rest of it - hear hear :mad:

ETA - except that I'm not an idiot, or I don't think I am anyway.....:D

But it's still €1.50 for a plastic bag! Unless they're hand crafted by silk worms in the Himalayas I don't know how they can charge that. You can get a roll of 20 for that in Lidl or Aldi..

But it's still €1.50 for a plastic bag! Unless they're hand crafted by silk worms in the Himalayas I don't know how they can charge that. You can get a roll of 20 for that in Lidl or Aldi..

It's clearly the service you're paying 1.50 for, not the actual bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Marmit3

Tony EH wrote: »

While i understand that you are angry, this is a rather unqualified post.
    Choosing not to recycle is a stupid decision. Like the 1.50 eu (not 9) every two weeks are going to kill you. Not recycling at all is not going to make that better and the environment will suffer. rather short-sighted thinking.
    Besides in rural areas you have to pay anyway.

And then insult an entire nation...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Marmit3 wrote: »
    While i understand that you are angry, this is a rather unqualified post.
    Choosing not to recycle is a stupid decision. Like the 1.50 eu (not 9) every two weeks are going to kill you. Not recycling at all is not going to make that better and the environment will suffer. rather short-sighted thinking.
    Besides in rural areas you have to pay anyway.

And then insult an entire nation...

I think what's causing the rancour is that Greyhound have been getting the recycling for no more than the cost of collecting it, and they then sell it on, but they now want to charge people to give them something they make money on; like if the Cash 4 Gold people made you give them a fiver for taking your gold off your hands.

With the black bins it's understandable; they charge to collect the rubbish which then go to landfill, but with the green bins they're trying to charge the suppliers of the raw materials - they want money at both ends of the chain, and that pisses people off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Marmit3

yeah i get that. i am annoyed with them for the following reasons:
    They claim that they have to charge because the cost for the service is too high (a service they havent actually provided in about a years' time). We havent received a recycling bag since last February.
    There were 3 separate incidents reported in the news over the past year where greyhound ditched their recycling and/or black bags in farms around Kildare. They should be disowned immediately for such behaviour, in my opinion. Just take them back into state hand since they are clearly corrupt.
    1,50 per pick up is steep but not recycling as a result is a bad choice i think. Better: Organise a drop-off in front of the doil (or some other government building, i dont claim to know where would be most effective) all on the same day.

Fun fact on the side: Yesterday was bin collection day. Our bags were outside with labels on them and guess what? they still are there today. they really are the worst company ever.

Advertisement