Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Fingers crossed for some analysis video.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I think D'Arcy's performance today could be something he hopefully brings back to Leinster. Hopefully the performance of Marshall has lighted a bit of a fire under him and focused him on his attacking game a bit more.

I think our back line against Clermont is still very hard to predict. Who will be on the wing? Will O'Malley be fit? If O'Malley isn't fit will we play McFadden at 13? If McFadden is at 13 who comes onto the wing? At least we know Nacewa is back and ready to go.

I think the pack will be easy enough to predict... Something like: Healy, Strauss, Ross, Cullen, Browne, McLoughlin, O'Brien, Heaslip

Then you can be sure that Reddan, Sexton, D'Arcy and Nacewa will play and McFadden will play somewhere... So that leaves 3 places up for grabs between McFadden, Conway, O'Malley and Dave Kearney. At least that's how I see it. Conway is a long **** given his form.

The problem with Zebre is its just not a great warm up. I think the people that it'll benefit most will be those who are supposedly pushing to be return for injury (supposedly O'Malley, Fitzgerald and Ryan). So hopefully we get a bit of luck with those injuries. Apart from that I don't think we'll be approaching the game at all similarly to the Clermont game. I suppose there'll be huge benefit from just putting the some of the best XV out together, they've hardly got a run out together this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

Conway is a long **** given his form.

Tad harsh!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

One thing that I was really pleased with from the Glasgow game was Toner's physicality. I knew he had got better in that area, but he was really using his 20 stone last night. He won't ever be a Brad Thorn enforcer but if Cullen loses the captaincy and/or retires for the 12/13 season, I think Toner could really shine.

As for the backline for the Clermont game I hope we see something like:

Reddan
    Sexton
    Fitzgerald
    D'Arcy
    EOM
    D Kearney
    Nacewa

With McFadden covering everything on the bench. Big questions are EOM and Fitz. If they're fit and playing well enough that's a decent backline.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Tad harsh!! :D

Hahaha slight typo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

Tox56 wrote: »
    One thing that I was really pleased with from the Glasgow game was Toner's physicality. I knew he had got better in that area, but he was really using his 20 stone last night. He won't ever be a Brad Thorn enforcer but if Cullen loses the captaincy and/or retires for the 12/13 season, I think Toner could really shine.

Reddan
    Sexton
    Fitzgerald
    D'Arcy
    EOM
    D Kearney
    Nacewa

With McFadden covering everything on the bench. Big questions are EOM and Fitz. If they're fit and playing well enough that's a decent backline.

Double post

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Reddan
    Sexton
    Fitzgerald
    D'Arcy
    EOM
    D Kearney
    Nacewa

Still hoping for BOD to make it!

Anyone know the prognosis on Roux? I had a similar thing happen to me and it took about 6 weeks to get full motion and strength back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

Reddan
    Sexton
    Fitzgerald
    D'Arcy
    EOM
    D Kearney
    Nacewa

No way can I see Kearney, EOM and Fitz all play. At most (assuming all start next week) they will have 4 games between them since returning from long term injury.

I'd imagine McFadden is a banker to start with Kearney also getting a start given he will have had 2 games.

That leaves one space which is a toss up between Conway, Carr, EOM, Fitz, Goodman and Madigan.

Id say EOM / Fitz are long shots given length of injuries. Madigan / Goodman are 10, 12 or 15 and those are likely to be Sexton, Darcy and Isa.

So for me it's a straight choice between Carr / Conway for the final wing spot.

Playing Carr last night suggests it might be him but I've a sneaking suspicion Joe is going to go for Conway.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

The problem with Zebre is its just not a great warm up. I think the people that it'll benefit most will be those who are supposedly pushing to be return for injury (supposedly O'Malley, Fitzgerald and Ryan). So hopefully we get a bit of luck with those injuries. Apart from that I don't think we'll be approaching the game at all similarly to the Clermont game. I suppose there'll be huge benefit from just putting the some of the best XV out together, they've hardly got a run out together this season.

It's not exactly the test we'd want before that game. But with the internationals having just gone up against SA and Argentina (albeit a fairly soft Argentina side) they should be more than up for this one. I reckon we'll see a first half that will be all about our attack. Getting into our patterns and all that. The second half will be a sit back and let them at us to test our defensive structures kind of thing.

It will be interesting to see who, if anyone, comes back this week. We should see a squad update shortly, but whether it has anything of note will be another thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

padser wrote: »
    No way can I see Kearney, EOM and Fitz all play. At most (assuming all start next week) they will have 4 games between them since returning from long term injury.

I'd imagine McFadden is a banker to start with Kearney also getting a start given he will have had 2 games.
    That leaves one space which is a toss up between Conway, Carr, EOM, Fitz, Goodman and Madigan.
    Id say EOM / Fitz are long shots given length of injuries. Madigan / Goodman are 10, 12 or 15 and those are likely to be Sexton, Darcy and Isa.
    So for me it's a straight choice between Carr / Conway for the final wing spot.
    Playing Carr last night suggests it might be him but I've a sneaking suspicion Joe is going to go for Conway.

Agree for the most part, but is Madigan at FB and Nacewa on the wing not also a prospect ?

• Advertisement

Almaviva wrote: »
    Agree for the most part, but is Madigan at FB and Nacewa on the wing not also a prospect ?

DK is a better FB than Madigan. It's an option, but can't see it being used tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

molloyjh wrote: »
    It's not exactly the test we'd want before that game. But with the internationals having just gone up against SA and Argentina (albeit a fairly soft Argentina side) they should be more than up for this one. I reckon we'll see a first half that will be all about our attack. Getting into our patterns and all that. The second half will be a sit back and let them at us to test our defensive structures kind of thing.

It will be interesting to see who, if anyone, comes back this week. We should see a squad update shortly, but whether it has anything of note will be another thing.

Would be better if we had the Ulster game this weekend, with Zebre after the 2 Clermont games.

Think the first 60 minutes will be used as more or less a full contact training session, allowing some of the returnees to get gametime behind them.

With a bit of luck, we could be seeing a 23 that looks somewhat like this for Clermont:

Healy, Strauss, Ross, Browne, Toner, McLaughlin, O'Brien, Heaslip, Reddan, Sexton, Fitzgerald, D'arcy, O'Malley, Kearney, Nacewa; Cronin, van der Merwe, Bent, Cullen, Ryan, Boss, Madigan, McFadden.

Either way, we need to get more points out of this head to head than Clermont, and we're going to need 10 points out of the last 2 matches.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,242 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

any word on quinn roux injury?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

Pool 5 ASM Clermont Auvergne v Leinster Rugby 16.00 Nigel Owens (Wal)

Pool 5 Leinster Rugby v ASM Clermont Auvergne 15.40 Wayne Barnes (Eng)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

tolosenc wrote: »
    Fitzgerald

Can't see Fitz starting either of the clermont games as he will need a couple of A games to get up to full speed

tolosenc wrote: »
    Would be better if we had the Ulster game this weekend, with Zebre after the 2 Clermont games.

Think the first 60 minutes will be used as more or less a full contact training session, allowing some of the returnees to get gametime behind them.

With a bit of luck, we could be seeing a 23 that looks somewhat like this for Clermont:

Healy, Strauss, Ross, Browne, Toner, McLaughlin, O'Brien, Heaslip, Reddan, Sexton, Fitzgerald, D'arcy, O'Malley, Kearney, Nacewa; Cronin, van der Merwe, Bent, Cullen, Ryan, Boss, Madigan, McFadden.

Either way, we need to get more points out of this head to head than Clermont, and we're going to need 10 points out of the last 2 matches.

I think Clermont will take top spot. We'd be very fortunate to have EOM and Fitzy back, and Cullen will be starting. With the Zebre game as our build up I fear that the game in SMM is going to have to be an extended preparation for the following week. I'd expect something like:

Healy Strauss Ross
    Cullen Browne
    Locky SOB Heaslip
    Reddan Sexton (with Boss taking Reddans place for the away game)
    Nacewa Darce McFadden Conway
    D Kearney

Bench: VDM, Cronin, Bent, Toner, Jennings, Murphy, Boss, Madigan

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

molloyjh wrote: »
    Nacewa Darce McFadden Conway
    D Kearney

would you not have Kearney on the wing with Nacewa at FB?

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

any news on Fitz with regard fitness and contract????

sydthebeat wrote: »
    any word on quinn roux injury?

Quinn Roux ‏@QuinnRoux @leinster_leader I'll be oky thanx allot mate

any news on Fitz with regard fitness and contract????

I'd imagine if we don't see him involved in the Zebre game then we won't see him til atleast after Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

1.Healy 2.Strauss 3.Ross 4.Cullen 5.Toner 6.McLaughlin 7.O'Brien 8.Heaslip 9.Reddan 10.Sexton 11.Conway 12.D'arcy 13.McFadden 14.D.Kearney 15.Nacewa

for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

.ak wrote: »
    I'd imagine if we don't see him involved in the Zebre game then we won't see him til atleast after Christmas.

thanks for the info what bout his contract have you any info on that last i heard there was problems if hed get a central contract from the IRFU

would you not have Kearney on the wing with Nacewa at FB?

Yeah I would, but I'm making a stab at predicting what Joe will do. Was kind of 50/50 on that one tbh.

I still wouldn't be surprised to see Madigan at FB either really.

.ak wrote: »

Squad update usually Monday apx 3pm, doubt we will see Fitz back, EOM should be. Hope for both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Is Rob K definately out of both Clermont games?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

shuffol wrote: »

I would say so. Said he needs six weeks complete rest after op and a further six weeks rehab. Anyone think Bent might start against Zebre? Ross has just played 3 weeks in a row...

shuffol wrote: »

Rob out till Jan

BOD 50/50 for Clermont home it would be the 8 weeks of the 8-12 he needs.

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/newsroom/10665.php

Roux. Following medical assessments at the weekend, it has been confirmed that the young South African dislocated his shoulder and will face a lengthy spell on the sidelines.

Luke Fitzgerald, Eoin O’Malley and Dominic Ryan, meanwhile, will be given every opportunity to prove their fitness as they continue their rehab ahead of their comebacks, but this weekend looks set to come too soon once more for all three players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

The Leinster management are set to be boosted by the return of their Ireland contingent who defeated Argentina at the weekend. In addition, Heinke van der Merwe, who came off the bench to help the Springboks defeat England in Twickenham on Saturday afternoon, is also set to return to the Leinster panel this week.
    The one major negative from Friday night’s win away to Glasgow Warriors was the injury picked up by second row Quinn Roux towards the end of the first half. Following medical assessments at the weekend, it has been confirmed that the young South African dislocated his shoulder and will face a lengthy spell on the sidelines.

Aaron Dundon, Isa Nacewa and Sean O’Brien all came through their respective comeback games unscathed and they will also be in the frame again this week.

Luke Fitzgerald, Eoin O’Malley and Dominic Ryan, meanwhile, will be given every opportunity to prove their fitness as they continue their rehab ahead of their comebacks, but this weekend looks set to come too soon once more for all three players.

EDIT: Beaten to it by Hagz.

Fitz, EOM, Ryan won't feature this weekend so they probably won't feature in Clermont at all.

I settled on Fitz not being available, but EOM was really needed as I don't think we have another 13 of that ilk.

Roux, as expected, is fecked. We might get another couple of games out of him at this stage before the end of the season. We're cursed I tells ye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭Hype710

I fear for our backline in the SMM. Could get ugly. I think Madigan will go to 15, DK and Isa on wings and Ferg to 13.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement