Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

.ak wrote: »
    He picked up the one injury early in the season and has been rehabing ever since. He's hopeful to be in contention in early december (zebre) iirc?

ankle injury wasnt it thought he had come back from that.ya hopefully he will be back soon will be a big second half of the season for him if he wants a new deal think hes only on a 1 year deal isnt he???

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Locky is streets ahead of Ruddock at the moment, even when injured. Ryan or Murphy are no where near usurping SOB at 7. SOB's grown into the openside role and even coming back from a serious rehab will have no problem getting into the starting lineup. Ryan hasn't shown anything this season, prior to his injury. Murphy on the other hand has plenty of potential and will probably fill Jennings boots as a niggily enforcer once Shane retires.

I wouldn't worry about Locky not getting selected for Ireland. He doesn't fit the mold. The Irish setup always like their pacey blindsides, target running and heavy hitters ala Fez and now Henderson. Locky is a get-under-your-skin 5.5 kinda player that suits Leinster perfectly. He's as hard as nails also and never gets riled up. The YC he picked up in H-cup this year was his first for Leinster IIRC and that's an impressive stat for a flanker who's virtually involved in every ruck in a game he plays.

I'd agree with the above. SOB really has become a fantastic openside. Remember that steal in the SF? His performances in NZ in June were top class as well. I don't see him going anywhere else for now positionally.

It would be disappointing for Locky not to feature for Ireland, but the way I see it it's better he plays for Leinster than holds tackle bags for Ireland. He's a player I've got great time for and would rather see him play than not.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

ankle injury wasnt it thought he had come back from that.ya hopefully he will be back soon will be a big second half of the season for him if he wants a new deal think hes only on a 1 year deal isnt he???

Yep, one year. Time's running out. We've had horrible luck with SR signings.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Have to say I don't rate Ruddock at all any more. I think developmentally he has gone backwards over the last 9-12 months. I know a lot of that is due to not getting the game time or when he does been thrown in at 8 which I don't think he is suited too but I really don't think he is fullfilling his potential

Have to say I don't rate Ruddock at all any more. I think developmentally he has gone backwards over the last 9-12 months. I know a lot of that is due to not getting the game time or when he does been thrown in at 8 which I don't think he is suited too but I really don't think he is fullfilling his potential

In fairness he had plenty of game time last season during the RWC and he was fairly mediocre.

Time is on his side however and he may pick it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭goreyguy

Agree on Ruddock, he is a 6 only and hasn't been that impressive to date.

Yep, one year. Time's running out. We've had horrible luck with SR signings.

makes the loss of Hines more of a mistake.i know leinster might not been able to match the offer clermont gave him think they need to take there time in look at Potential SR seem they rushed the signing of sykes as his replacement

makes the loss of Hines more of a mistake.i know leinster might not been able to match the offer clermont gave him think they need to take there time in look at Potential SR seem they rushed the signing of sykes as his replacement

Leinster wanted to keep Hines, Hines wanted to stay at Leinster. Unfortunately money wasn't the issue, it was the IRFU.

Talk on LF that Leinster are very close to securing the signing of a big name SR, possible announcement after Christmas. Lots of speculation as to who it may be, but for me I'd love it if Hines came back.

Hines leaving had nothing to do with money or Leinster though. The IRFU wanted a project player in that position so there was nothing Hines or Leinster could do

Leinster wanted to keep Hines, Hines wanted to stay at Leinster. Unfortunately money wasn't the issue, it was the IRFU.

Talk on LF that Leinster are very close to securing the signing of a big name SR, possible announcement after Christmas. Lots of speculation as to who it may be, but for me I'd love it if Hines came back.

oh right my bad didnt know that.wonder who that could be is it a permanent deal or a temporary deal like thorn???

• Advertisement

Truthfully do you actually need another 2nd row. Unless we are going to have the balls to droop Cullen I don't see the need for it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Truthfully do you actually need another 2nd row. Unless we are going to have the balls to droop Cullen I don't see the need for it

Cullen and Toner dont really complement each other and I wouldnt be surprised if this was Cullen's last season. I presume any lock signed will be longer term than tha Thorn signing last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

While I'd love to see Hines come back - I really, really would - he seems very settled in France. I'm not sure it'll happen.

I think we do. Cullen, despite not being in the Ireland set-up anymore and being our captain, has only played 6 of our 10 games so far. Only 3 of those were full games, 1 was 15 mins against Treviso and he only lasted 40 minutes against Cardiff a few weeks back. He didn't feature against Ospreys at all. He looks to be on his last legs tbh. I think Toner will take over from him next season along with AN Other lock, possibly this new signing if it works out.

Really can't see Cullen being involved in the 13/14 season.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ray jay

The other element that would count against signing Hines is he's hardly a long term solution. Now Etzebeth, that would be some coup.

ray jay wrote: »
    The other element that would count against signing Hines is he's hardly a long term solution. Now Etzebeth, that would be some coup.

I'd much rather someone a bit old in the tooth, Bakkies anyone?

I'd much rather someone a bit old in the tooth, Bakkies anyone?

would toulon let him leave???

Dunno, just dreamin'...

Dunno, just dreamin'...

they have signed Danie Rossouw think hes joining them in February until the end of the season so they might let him go you never know??

Actually I'll revise my opinion and say that we should try to get someone who's unlikely to be called away on international duty given that Leinster were heavily weakened by the absence of internationals at the beginning of this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Bakkies was my first thought, he's a dreadful pr**k, but you wouldnt mind that if he was our dreadful pr**k.

How long would it take Casey to get back up to speed? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

My favourite would be Nathan Sharpe. Great leader (which we lack in the pack with our internationals away). Great experience. Retired from international rugby. Also old enough to put us under pressure to keep developing the younger guys.

My favourite would be Nathan Sharpe. Great leader (which we lack in the pack with our internationals away). Great experience. Retired from international rugby. Also old enough to put us under pressure to keep developing the younger guys.

thought he was retiring from all forms of rugby club included???as far as i know hes without a club at the moment so you could be right

Sharpe is running on fumes imo. I doubt he has another season in him, at club level.

Caldwell is another option, I believe his contract is due to be up at the end of the season. Stand to be corrected on that tho!

Sharpe is running on fumes imo. I doubt he has another season in him, at club level.

Caldwell is another option, I believe his contract is due to be up at the end of the season. Stand to be corrected on that tho!

according to someone on the LF who says there in the know the player has already had his medical sometime last week in UCD and flew straight back out of the country after.hes played for two big European teams in the past and the only thing that could hold it up supposedly is a vet clearance for his cat/dog seem hes a big cat/dog lover supposedly he has an aunt in Geneva that is willing to let him use her papers for his cat/dog.could be a load of bull just want i read on there

Hardly a "big" signing though. Given that Strauss is officially an Irishman now, could it be that Leinster are looking to fill their project player slot? That would narrow down the list of candidates substantially.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

He's been class this season and I doubt Leinster would be able to match Toulon's wages.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

according to someone on the LF who says there in the know the player has already had his medical sometime last week in UCD and flew straight back out of the country after.hes played for two big European teams in the past and the only thing that could hold it up supposedly is a vet clearance for his cat/dog seem hes a big cat/dog lover supposedly he has an aunt in Geneva that is willing to let him use her papers for his cat/dog.could be a load of bull just want i read on there

Erik Lund.

You sir have been Bails'd.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I don't know if it's bull or not but it's excellent reading!

I wouldn't be too keen on Botha to be honest. His disciplinary record precedes him and there is no point making a signing to cover international windows if the signing can't play due to being banned! Plus he'd be 34 at the start of next season and motivation could be a factor......the saying "can he do it on a freezing cold night in Stoke" comes to mind.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement