Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleeping Dogs (formerly True Crime: Hong Kong)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,550 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Finished it finally last week. Thoroughly enjoyed the game and got the platinum too. Only my third platinum (overall) which tells how much I enjoyed it.

I loved the focus on hand to hand combat more so over gun play. And the last string of missions, absolutely great fun.

Bring on a sequel!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Best character of 2012 I think .
    None better come to mind in all the games I've played

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

SeantheMan wrote: »

Mordin in ME3 takes it for me I think, but Wei is up there for sure.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Mordin in ME3 takes it for me I think, but Wei is up there for sure.

Mordin was in ME2 though, so isn't newly introduced this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Mordin was in ME2 though, so isn't newly introduced this year.

You didn't say Best "New" character though so technically wnolan1992 opinion was correct. I'd have to agree with both though... as two very well made and deep characters.
    Also while Mordin was excellent in ME2.... i liked him better in ME3 imo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

You didn't say Best "New" character though so technically wnolan1992 opinion was correct. I'd have to agree with both though... as two very well made and deep characters.
    Also while Mordin was excellent in ME2.... i liked him better in ME3 imo.

Well what really swung it for me was I cured the Genophage, and if you've played that out, you know the scene I'm talking about, is one of the highlights of the year so far for me.

But as for best new character, Wei is probably it. I'd have to check back over the list of what I've played this year (all the characters from Thomas Was Alone are up there), but none really stand out as much as Wei apart from maybe Captain Walker in Spec Ops.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Sponge25

I was gonna get Sleeping Dogs in GameStop in Bray yesterday but I opted for something else; Is it worth getting?

Yer man in GameStop told me the same studio that made TrueCrime: Streets of LA made it and that kinda put me off buying it but I looked at a few reviews and it looks alright.

Any of yas played it?

Is it worth getting!?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Read this thread about it. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056169868

EDIT: Thread was merged by mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I like the fact you can grab anyone and put them in the boot of the car.
    I don't know why I just find it funny.

The last mission was brilliant. I guess I'll do the races now as they're, along with the lockboxes, all I have left to do.

Sponge25 wrote: »
    I was gonna get Sleeping Dogs in GameStop in Bray yesterday but I opted for something else; Is it worth getting?

Yer man in GameStop told me the same studio that made TrueCrime: Streets of LA made it and that kinda put me off buying it but I looked at a few reviews and it looks alright.

Any of yas played it?

Is it worth getting!?

My full review of it is in my sig or over on the reviews forum (harmless self promotion FTW :P).

In short, yes it's worth getting. It's probably one of the best games released so far this year, depending on your tastes. Really fun, and I guess you'd pick it up cheaply enough at this stage.

And it wasn't developed by the same studio as True Crime. True Crime was developed by Luxoflux and published by Activision, this was developed by United Front and Square Enix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

so far my favourite game of the year, beat it last night and only have the races left. will be my 4th platinum AMAZING GAME

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I loathe this song but I can't stop hearing it..... :D

Accidentally came across the final statue that I needed too..... Can't help but be reminded of
    Infernal Affairs or The Departed
    in terms of the plot.

Just completed it there, loved it.
    Was raging about Jackie , considering it was near the very end there was no real need for that. You save him from being buried alive only to be killed straight away ?
    Also, Wei is some man, from what I saw..they drilled into his leg...smashed his foot..but I was still running and doing kung fu 2 mins later
    That's nitpicking I guess, still loved it :D

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    My full review of it is in my sig or over on the reviews forum (harmless self promotion FTW :P).

In short, yes it's worth getting. It's probably one of the best games released so far this year, depending on your tastes. Really fun, and I guess you'd pick it up cheaply enough at this stage.

I read the review and can relate with everything bar
    Things aren't much better behind the wheel. Cars feel weightless and clunky in equal measure, with the overall feel being too reminiscent of Burnout and Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit for my liking. Driving is merely a means to an end as opposed to an enjoyable gameplay aspect in its own right, and one which I tended to avoid at every opportunity, choosing instead to use the game's excellent free-running dynamic to run through the oftne densely packed streets.

At the start I wasn't the biggest fan of driving - may have been the early cars - but the more I started playing it, the more I enjoyed the cars. This was helped when I access central and all the fast cars. I agree with you when you say they reminded you of other racing games but thats why I enjoyed them, good control and maneuverability. I enjoyed driving around in SD a lot more then say the realistic (heavy) cars of GTA IV.... reminded me of the older GTAs.

I read the review and can relate with everything bar

At the start I wasn't the biggest fan of driving - may have been the early cars - but the more I started playing it, the more I enjoyed the cars. This was helped when I access central and all the fast cars. I agree with you when you say they reminded you of other racing games but thats why I enjoyed them, good control and maneuverability. I enjoyed driving around in SD a lot more then say the realistic (heavy) cars of GTA IV.... reminded me of the older GTAs.

I think it's just my preference for GTAIV's cars. I'll admit I warmed to the cars as I went on, but I really HATED the driving at the start, so I never really got to the stage of "liking" the driving at all.

It's a gripe I've had with a lot of games recently, most notably the ones I used in the review.

I think it's the braking that annoys me most of all. You could be flying at full speed with really high revs and then hit the brakes and it feels as if you stop instantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

Just finished it, really enjoyed it, definitely a game of the year pick. Was reading recently that the devs are very eager to do a sequel. Don't know how likely that is since its not selling too well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Just finished it, really enjoyed it, definitely a game of the year pick. Was reading recently that the devs are very eager to do a sequel. Don't know how likely that is since its not selling too well.

Really? :(

Guess it sort of highlights why we see so many sequels.

Edit - doing ok in the UK it seems?

http://www.techwatch.co.uk/2012/09/17/sleeping-dogs-still-top-of-uk-chart/

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

danthefan wrote: »

Thats not to bad then, heard it wasn't selling well in the states.

Heres the article http://www.psu.com/a016880/Sleeping-Dogs-dev-would-love-to-do-a-sequel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Apparently it sold 172k copies in the US alone in August on PS3 and 360. PC is not included in that figure. Added to the decent sales in the UK and obviously the rest of the world, it isn't too bad sales wise?

What are good sales for a game these days? I know Call of Battlefield: Frontline 4 will sell about 7m copies but for a regular game?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

danthefan wrote: »
    Apparently it sold 172k copies in the US alone in August on PS3 and 360. PC is not included in that figure. Added to the decent sales in the UK and obviously the rest of the world, it isn't too bad sales wise?

What are good sales for a game these days? I know Call of Battlefield: Frontline 4 will sell about 7m copies but for a regular game?

2 million is gauranteed sequel mark i reckon.

This is a new IP altho not really.

• Advertisement

I was only thinking over this the other day, but, you never get to kill Sonny do you ?
    He just sort of fades out..

I hated him more than any of the endgame characters and was dying to kick him around and smash his head into a grinder of some sort.

Hopefully they release a DLC or something where he's in it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭Corvo

Picked this up the other day and absolutely love it. I usually tire of these games pretty easily as there isn't much they can keep throwing at you to keep it interesting.

Can anyone let me know how far I am into the missions? I want to try and stretch it out a bit and don't want to finish the story too quickly. I'm currently just finished the mission where you are finally made part of the "family" and made a "red pole"...Am I approx half way through? Further?

Can anyone let me know how far I am into the missions? I want to try and stretch it out a bit and don't want to finish the story too quickly. I'm currently just finished the mission where you are finally made part of the "family" and made a "red pole"...Am I approx half way through? Further?

Unforunately isn't that long just make sure you complete all the side quests (favours, races etc) before doing the next main mission that's available.

If I remember correcetly that just after the
    Wedding
    mission so still have around
    main story missions to go so below half way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Just picked up a steam key for this for 15 sterling. Cant wait to get into it later tonight. Whats the best control scheme do people find? KB n mouse or 360 controller.
    Used the controller for Batman AC and it was about a million times better than the KB. Kind of thinking it could be the same for this? Just seems more natural for 3rd person games....

Agricola wrote: »
    Just picked up a steam key for this for 15 sterling. Cant wait to get into it later tonight. Whats the best control scheme do people find? KB n mouse or 360 controller.
    Used the controller for Batman AC and it was about a million times better than the KB. Kind of thinking it could be the same for this? Just seems more natural for 3rd person games....

Didn't play it on PC, but I can say that the controls on 360 are brilliant, so I'd go with the controller, especially for the combat.

(But then I'm not a major fan of KB and mouse anyway (f*cking WASD is a pain in the balls if you're a leftie :P) so I'm probably not the best to get advice from I guess :))

360 controller , I played it on PC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Picked this up earlier today, been meaning to for ages but time/money/other games kept getting in the way. Only played a couple of hours so far but I'm loving the feel of it so far, the atmosphere brings me back to Shenmue 2 which was always one of my favourite games and the combat, free running etc seems to be very well done, cant wait to get into it

I started playing it again today. :)

Grabbed a shotgun from the back of a police car, then went to a drug bust where the guys were unarmed.

Most. Fun. Ever!

They were running at me with pipes and bats, and one shot would knock it out of their hand and blow them five feet back. :D

I just love the fighting though! Definitely the best thing about the game. Wish I could just keep doing drug busts over and over again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

I would've sworn that I would buy any DLC for this game but this can go and shíte. I'm sick of zombies being shoe-horned into games. Give me a DLC with some new crimes to solve and I'd be all over it.

Advertisement