Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleeping Dogs (formerly True Crime: Hong Kong)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Gah. This fight in Club Bam Bam (going by previous posts, there're two fights there, so it's the first one you do) is killing my soul. Keep getting surrounded and bludgeoned to death with about 3 hits of those weapons. :(

just keep countering, then, and you can't lose. Like, you literally are unable to lose.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

just keep countering, then, and you can't lose. Like, you literally are unable to lose.

I'm finding a way. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Completed the main story last night, I enjoyed the game and I'll end up finishing the left-over side missions.

For the buzz, I decided to run down a few people on the paths. The physics are quite funny, as you can literally send people to the moon like I did one guy when I smashed him head-on against the wall. He just went *POP* and bolted into the sky.

Ramming people on motorbikes with a fast car causes some funky side effects, too :pac:

Right after that while mowing pedestrians down on the path I hit a guy so hard with my car that he got caught in the bonnet of it and his ragdoll physics freaked out, leaving massive amounts of blood all over the road as I drove on.

Should've taken a picture. Oh well, next time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'm finding a way. :pac:

counter them and then grab an isolated fella and ram his head off the wall/bar :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

this game worth getting?
    planning on picking it up today
    how longs the story? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭King Krib

saiint wrote: »
    this game worth getting?
    It's worth getting alright, somewhere between saints row and gta, main story missions about 12-15 hours, . In my opinion it was long enough. I'm selling a mint copy on adverts if your interested on Ps3, good price too...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

King Krib wrote: »
    It's worth getting alright, somewhere between saints row and gta, main story missions about 12-15 hours, . In my opinion it was long enough. I'm selling a mint copy on adverts if your interested on Ps3, good price too...
    on the 360 mate sorry would of bought it off ya ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭King Krib

King Krib wrote: »
    on the 360 mate sorry would of bought it off ya ha
    Not to worry...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Turns out, using a car as a battering ram during drug busts is surprisingly effective! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

this game worth getting?

I finished it in about 10 hours so its short compared to the likes of GTA etc. It will take longer to 100% the game doing all the side missions.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Turns out, using a car as a battering ram during drug busts is surprisingly effective! :pac:

That's How I do it now,can't be arsed getting out of the car and spending 20 minutes beating the crap out of everyone :pac: sometimes I use a bus or lorry :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I like to drive up grab a fellow, dump him in the boot beat up his mates then drive the poor fellow out to the pier and throw him in the ocean.

Now that I have increased health from finding a lot of the health shrines, the fighting has become more fun. Pulling off a chain of counters and then pulling of the punch, punch, stun kick, powerful kick to the head combo is really satisfying!

Also, that mission with Jackie where you get the bolt cutters and can use it to defeat all the enemies? Epic. Bolt cutters FTW!

Still dislike the driving, and the guns feel tacked on and unnecessary, but all I'm still really enjoying this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I stole a taxi to get away from cops, I got away and decided to drop the shít box off and get me class A car but as soon as I stopped some dude jumped in the cab, and instead of turning into crazy taxi Wei told him to gtfo. I love the little stuff happening all the time in this game.

Im playing my second way through, theres no game+ mode or even harder difficulties but its still fun building up money and buying suits and cars... but the drop boxes suck.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Alactric

Hey lads not to hijack this thread but I found this game going really cheap on
    http://www.direct2play.com/226-sleeping-dogs-steam-pc-game-digital-download-multilanguage-region-free.html

Does anyone know what the story is with this crowd? Seems suspiciously cheap.:eek:

My biggest problem at the moment is trying to increase my Face level. On level 5, but still can't buy a load of cool sh*t.

Also just came up against this mission where I have to disable 4 vans on the highway. It's brutal. The most I've ever disabled is two, and the explosion of the second one killed me. I can't seem to get eh balance right, when I go in guns blazing, my car gets shot up and destroyed before I even get a chance to take more of them out, but if I hold back I just get shot up by the lads on bikes and the cops and end up losing the vans.

*le sigh*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Elysian

Alactric wrote: »
    Hey lads not to hijack this thread but I found this game going really cheap on
    http://www.direct2play.com/226-sleeping-dogs-steam-pc-game-digital-download-multilanguage-region-free.html

Does anyone know what the story is with this crowd? Seems suspiciously cheap.:eek:

Got mine from G2play for the same price, it's fine. Basically, they bulk buy the game in countries where it's a lot cheaper (like Russia) and then sell on the CD keys which activate okay in Steam.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Alactric

Elysian wrote: »
    Got mine from G2play for the same price, it's fine. Basically, they bulk buy the game in countries where it's a lot cheaper (like Russia) and then sell on the CD keys which activate okay in Steam.

Aha! :D Sounds great. Did a bit more research as well, they only seem to use Paypal? So you're safe enough if they dupe you with a used key I'd say. The price on Dark Souls is even crazier. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭TheFullDuck

My biggest problem at the moment is trying to increase my Face level. On level 5, but still can't buy a load of cool sh*t.

Also just came up against this mission where I have to disable 4 vans on the highway. It's brutal. The most I've ever disabled is two, and the explosion of the second one killed me. I can't seem to get eh balance right, when I go in guns blazing, my car gets shot up and destroyed before I even get a chance to take more of them out, but if I hold back I just get shot up by the lads on bikes and the cops and end up losing the vans.

*le sigh*

For face level buy clothes that boost your face by 5%/10% par example a watch and a necklace , then do side missions, races and favours.. face will be maxed out in no time. Triad level is the bitch, I've only just maxed mine having to replay a few missions.

I think the mission you mean is the one where your on a motorbike and there are guys shotting at you from the back of the vans? What I did was ignore the lads at the back and take out the driver = instants vehicle destruction. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

*le sigh*
    aim for the tyres

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

The tyres on those trucks don't blow up. The best method is to take out the drivers and you can use any vehicle to do so.

Corkfeen wrote: »
    The tyres on those trucks don't blow up. The best method is to take out the drivers and you can use any vehicle to do so.

Well I shot the rear tire of one of the trucks and it flipped over...

But yeah, will concentrate on the drivers from now on. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,489 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yeah, On my first run, I aimed for the truck tires but nothing was happening and I failed the mission. Net time I tried the same and flipped 3 of the trucks by shooting the tires so I must have been off with my aiming.

Just finished it there. Brilliant game, could've done with less gunplay and more big scraps, but all in all very enjoyable.

The last mission in particular where you've
    to break free from Tong and have to cut off the ropes around your wrists by moving the analog back and forth and then beat the living snot out of all his men was brilliant. Bit disappointed that the fights with Tong and Lee didn't last a bit longer, but when Wei is smashing Lee in the face and then drags him to the chipper? So satisfying!

And to add to the praise of the "little things" in the game that make it cool, if you crash a car and there's stuff blocking both doors, they don't resort to just spawning you behind the car like GTA, Wei smashing the windscreen and clambers out! Had to smile when I first saw that. :)

Just finished it there. Brilliant game, could've done with less gunplay and more big scraps, but all in all very enjoyable.

The last mission in particular where you've
    to break free from Tong and have to cut off the ropes around your wrists by moving the analog back and forth and then beat the living snot out of all his men was brilliant. Bit disappointed that the fights with Tong and Lee didn't last a bit longer, but when Wei is smashing Lee in the face and then drags him to the chipper? So satisfying!

And to add to the praise of the "little things" in the game that make it cool, if you crash a car and there's stuff blocking both doors, they don't resort to just spawning you behind the car like GTA, Wei smashes the windscreen and clambers out! Had to smile when I first saw that. :)

*le sigh*

ahhhh I'm stuck on that bloody mission too,haven't played in a few day actually,that mission really pissed me off :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,489 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Just cleared it last night. Loved every minute of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

*le sigh*

ahhhh I'm stuck on that bloody mission too,haven't played in a few day actually,that mission really pissed me off :mad:

I tried once or twice from behind, when I decided to drive ahead of the vans it became easy to shoot back at the drivers and done it first time that way.

Apparently the game isn't selling well... heard on an IGN podcast that it's only sold ~180,000 copies in a month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Dr Gradus

Just finished it there the other day, and am currently 98% of the way through, a couple of elusive lockboxes left.

Really enjoyed the story I have to admit, the graveyard mission and the final mission really stuck out visually for me. Have to agree with other posters in it being far too short. I'm pretty finicky about getting all the little extras along the way, and even with that I'm still done in about 15 hours I think.

I'm not sure there's enough in it now to keep me occupied with just free roaming around. Although having the upgrade that allows you to find a pump action shotgun in the back of police-cars leads to some epic enough shootouts.

Advertisement