Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS 6 Megathread - All iOS 6 discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭vinnycoyne

Tone it down please. Any more "fanboy" nonsense and we'll start handing out infractions and bans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

A good take on the maps fiasco that I hadn't heard of. Courtesy of Leo Laporte on twitter.

http://anthonydrendel.com/blog/2012/9/24/ios-maps-and-china.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Karsini wrote: »
    Got my space back, back up to 2.3GB now. Had to jailbreak the phone and delete the contents of the /var/MobileSoftwareUpdate/ folder using iFunBox.

:confused: the point of iFunBox is that you dont need to jailbreak?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

iregk wrote: »
    Yeah, as my job is IT related I listen to tWit and tech weekly podcasts every week. I also subscribe to tech central emails as well as reading the register every day. On the way home from work I listen to Matt Cooper in the car. I read the Guardian and occasionally browse joe.ie and the journal.

So tell me how does all that make me an apple fanboi? Or I suspect these days you are a fanboi by definition now if you read a site and they mention the word apple or you happen to hear it on a radio show on the way home. Mind you I'm guessing by your posts you wouldn't understand that last one as you're still in primary school. I'd back the guess another poster made at you being 10.

I'm also not sure how I rushed to defend apple. You were being completely idiotic and typically "sure nobody told me!" about it and I simply pointed out where I had personally seen it recently. I will defend any brand, company, product regardless of make or manufacturer if someone is being a tool about it. Lastly it doesn't matter if you were not typing directly to the last person who replied. This is a public forum, any comment you put up here by it's definition is addressed to everyone and not one specific poster.
    Look, as you point out this is a discussion forum. This in particular is a thread about iOS6. The hostility from you and your friends who thank each others posts like it's a big love-in is simply unjustified. Here's my original comment, just to remind people:
    Tea 1000 wrote: »
    I agree, Safari performance is unchanged! And what's the story with getting rid of You Tube? That sucks. I can't find an App for it either in the new store. I can in the old store, which is useless as there's an inbuilt App anyway. I just upgraded my iPad to iOS6 to check it out, but going by what I've found, the iPhone will remain on iOS 5.1.1 for a while yet.
    Don't get the You Tube absence though, and don't get why no one seems to care much yet, so that makes me wonder what I'm missing?
    You may see if you read through the red mist in your eyes that I was wondering why no one was commenting about it in the "Discussion" forum, seeing as there was no alternative for the iPad. (Note - not that "I wasn't told by Apple coming to my house")
    I was pounced on with hostile comments, starting with this one:
    iregk wrote: »
    What is wrong with some people. It was explained moths back that the youtube app was going. Google have released a proper you tube app to replace the absolutely woeful one that shipped with iOS. If you actually go to the app store, select Charts it's the top app in the free section. Took me all of 3 seconds to find it.
    What's wrong with some people? What kind of response is that? 3 seconds to find it, but if you bothered to read my post I had upgraded the iPad, and 3 seconds won't find anything. Despite you being wrong and slagging me about it, I didn't get any apology.
    Maybe I'm 10 like you say, but posts like that typically come from stroppy early teens who think they're always right.
    You and your thank buddies need to relax a little, and when someone complains about Apple, it's not a personal attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭guil

krudler wrote: »
    OU812 wrote: »
    Another thing I've noticed is that if you download an app, it now gets a "NEW" banner across it until you open it for the first time.

I like that, also how app updates are done in the appstore it doesnt jump you back to the homescreen to show the app update status bar

My jumping back was already there in previous version.

/not updating for now
    The punt they are making is when you download an app or update one you stay in the store. Beforehand you were brought to the app on the springboard
    Got my space back, back up to 2.3GB now. Had to jailbreak the phone and delete the contents of the /var/MobileSoftwareUpdate/ folder using iFunBox.

Ifunbox can't access system files or hidden ones without a jailbreak and sometimes you need to install afc2add from cydia aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭shaneb92

Did anyone make the leap and update their iphone 3gs to ios 6??

Whats is like, does it affect perfprmance and should I update mine? im currently running on io5.1.1

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    Look, as you point out this is a discussion forum. This in particular is a thread about iOS6. The hostility from you and your friends who thank each others posts like it's a big love-in is simply unjustified. Here's my original comment, just to remind people:

You may see if you read through the red mist in your eyes that I was wondering why no one was commenting about it in the "Discussion" forum, seeing as there was no alternative for the iPad. (Note - not that "I wasn't told by Apple coming to my house")
    I was pounced on with hostile comments, starting with this one:

What's wrong with some people? What kind of response is that? 3 seconds to find it, but if you bothered to read my post I had upgraded the iPad, and 3 seconds won't find anything. Despite you being wrong and slagging me about it, I didn't get any apology.
    Maybe I'm 10 like you say, but posts like that typically come from stroppy early teens who think they're always right.
    You and your thank buddies need to relax a little, and when someone complains about Apple, it's not a personal attack.

this forum is getting better than the irish Economy forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

shaneb92 wrote: »

Whats is like, does it affect perfprmance and should I update mine? im currently running on io5.1.1

I updated my 4s and had no problems apart from the youtube app was missing, but I got it back off the app store.
    Safari is now quicker and i like the music on alarms now. Not used any other new things yet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I am really liking the "Do not disturb" feature, very useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

As it has been pointed out by 120_Minutes

Jasmine is a YouTube client that works on the iPad and iPhone for those on iOS 6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Anyone else experiencing this bug since upgrading? Its a bloody pain in the arse.

Is it not the case that you can only access system folders when the device is jailbroken?

Is it not the case that you can only access system folders when the device is jailbroken?
    Yes you need to be jailbroken to access everything and if Ifunbox can't detect the jb you need afc2add from cydia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Seems that tap to tweet and tap to post have disappeared from my notification centre dropdown, happened anyone else or anyone know how to get it back?

foxerv1 wrote: »
    Seems that tap to tweet and tap to post have disappeared from my notification centre dropdown, happened anyone else or anyone know how to get it back?

Still have it on mine.

Go to notifications and turn on the share widget

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

guil wrote: »
    Go to notifications and turn on the share widget
    Sir, I am in your debt :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

G-Money wrote: »
    Anyone tried it on a 3GS yet?
    biko wrote: »
    Yeah, is fine.

GF has 3GS and I updated hers, no issues. Don't do it if yours is jailbroken, you'll have to wait for ios6 jailbreak then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭brophs

Has anyone else had any trouble with the App Store on an iPhone 4? Most times I try to update my apps it either just looks to be endlessly doing nothing or I get a "Could not connect to iTunes store" message. I've tried the trick of changing the date and time to a year in advance and though it seems to work in the short term, a few hours later it's back to the same thing of not connecting.

Not a big deal, really, but enough of an irritant to want it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I prefer the podcasts where they were, anyone find it takes way longer to play podcasts on 3g? used to be they'd start within a few seconds now they take way longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Harcrid

I have abandoned the Podcast app and started using Instacast instead. I was having big problems trying to download new podcasts. They quite often dont download fully and I can't play them. Plus they dont seem to be sorted properly date wise. It was just too awkward for me.

I like the new bottom tab while browsing and it allows you to full screen the web page.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

brophs wrote: »
    Has anyone else had any trouble with the App Store on an iPhone 4? Most times I try to update my apps it either just looks to be endlessly doing nothing or I get a "Could not connect to iTunes store" message. I've tried the trick of changing the date and time to a year in advance and though it seems to work in the short term, a few hours later it's back to the same thing of not connecting.

Not a big deal, really, but enough of an irritant to want it sorted.

When I try an retrieve Purchases it just waits to load for ages. What I have discovered is that when you quit it keeps trying to load and my battery was suffering. Best to kill App Store on exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

kceire wrote: »
    I like the new bottom tab while browsing and it allows you to full screen the web page.

Where is that?:confused:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Turn to landscape mode for the fullscreen icon.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Graham wrote: »
    Turn to landscape mode for the fullscreen icon.

Ah for iPhone and iPod touch only after a quick google. I'm using an ipad.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

:eek: and you need even more screen space to browse :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

kceire wrote: »

Ah G'way!! Never seen that yet. Sure that's grand stuff! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭shaneb92

Just updated my iPhone 3gs to ios 6 and liking it so far :)
    Before updateing i was nervous that it would slow it down but so far i see no differance, in fact its a bit faster. Battery is also working grand :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Just updated my iPhone 3gs to ios 6 and liking it so far :)
    Before updateing i was nervous that it would slow it down but so far i see no differance, in fact its a bit faster. Battery is also working grand :D

My battery went crazy a few days ago, losing about 6% an hour in standby. I did a Reset and it's back to normal and holding really well.

Advertisement