Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS 6 Megathread - All iOS 6 discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭93Cab

bucks73 wrote: »
    The new Youtube app is an iPhone app. Google are working on an iPad version but according to Mashable the iPhone app will work on the iPad.

http://mashable.com/2012/09/11/youtube-iphone/

I presume you would have to download the App from the iPhone section on the App Store on iTunes and then add it to your iPad by syncing.

I downloaded the Youtube App on to the OH's Ipad and it's an Iphone App, you can double the size but you have to hold the Ipad upright. Deleted it!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Dean09 wrote: »
    Fair point I suppose.
    But if they want nothing to do with them then why is Google still the default search engine?

Yes, but have you notice it doesn't say google in the search box anymore just 'search'.

Also, Google are the no 1 search companyand Apple don't do search so it makes sense to keep that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

I'm the same, rarely used the old Maps app. For driving it was useless and there are proper free SatNav apps out there with turn by turn navigation.

The new app has its faults but I'm pretty sure in time, and with feedback, it can only improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Passbook now has united airlines, Lufthansa, American Airlines,ihotels in it now.
    Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I clicked the passbook go to App Store and those are there and I'm in Ireland.
    lee3155 wrote: »
    Wait never mind, rebooted my iPhone and huzzah! They're there!
    Fuh Q wrote: »
    For anyone still having problems with connecting to the app store or itunes, turn your phone off and back on, if this does not work, turn it off again and reset your internet/router , when the signal is back turn the phone back on and you should be ok.

I've an iPhone 4. Tried turning phone off. Resetting Internet. Nothing. I assumed we have nothing available and that's why I was getting the error message. Seems to be a bug though if you all have it. App stores work fine. But when I open passbook and press the App Store button I get the "Cannot connect to App Store" error message. Are you running iOS 6 on a 4 or 4S?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

DubDJ wrote: »
    I've an iPhone 4. Tried turning phone off. Resetting Internet. Nothing. I assumed we have nothing available and that's why I was getting the error message. Seems to be a bug though if you all have it. App stores work fine. But when I open passbook and press the App Store button I get the "Cannot connect to App Store" error message. Are you running iOS 6 on a 4 or 4S?
    I'm running iOS6 on a 4, and can access the App Store via the Passbook app without any problems.

• Advertisement

Johnmb wrote: »
    I'm running iOS6 on a 4, and can access the App Store via the Passbook app without any problems.

Tried another workaround regarding changing the year to 2013. Still didn't work :( No big deal but would of liked to try it out. Still strange how it works on certain phones even though its the same model and version of iOS.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why would you want the original You Tube app?

Also, maps, definitely is bad but do people really use them that much?

Hardly use it myself in normal day to day life so wouldn't be a dealbreaker.

see my post 477 re: airplay, which i use a lot, and maps a fair bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Any finding videos won't play with tags in Shazam? Is this because it was linked to the old YouTube app?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

while the new app is an improvement in some ways, one big drawback is airplay. you now have to enable mirroring to airplay to the apple tv. now this makes it a little more awkward, but if you have a 4 or lower you cant even mirror. so updating removes one of the reasons i love the apple ecosystem.

that and the maps fiasco are keeping me on 5.1.1

Noticed this last night too ... AirPlay is a disaster alright. Big big drawback.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

DubDJ wrote: »

iOS 6 on a 4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 nolitimere

colly10 wrote: »
    A little annoyed with what this upgrade has offered me on the iPhone 4. We don't get the panoramic view camera.
    If it's any help at all, you can try using Photosynth. It's free too.

And sorry, I can't find the exact posts that mention it. But I recall people talking about the YouTube app not supporting listening while the screen is locked. The YT app Jasmine can do that and also plays YT videos that are restricted using the official app.

lee3155 wrote: »
    iOS 6 on a 4

It's just hit and miss apparently. The fix works for some. And doesn't work for others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Minor thing I've noticed, with safari now, when you've got multiple pages up, and your at the far end, and you open a new page, the new page opens between the old pages, doesn't zoom to the end like it did before.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

It seems finally the weather offline bug is fixed.

mad muffin wrote: »
    It seems finally the weather offline bug is fixed.

I haven't had that bug in a few months. It was resolved for me a few weeks after iOS 5 was released. Been perfect ever since.

so, its been jailbroken. what are the chances of the original youtube/google maps being reinstalled via cydia? i'd only update if this were possible.

would anyone know where i could find this information?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭guil

would anyone know where i could find this information?
    don't think it can be done yet but i'd say someone will be able to compile an ipa file from the map.app in ios 5

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

Dunno about anyone else but my battery has improved a huge amount on my 4s with ios6.
    Internet browser seems faster too. I'm quite happy with it. Just looking forward to a jailbreak for it now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

BanjoB wrote: »
    Dunno about anyone else but my battery has improved a huge amount on my 4s with ios6.
    Internet browser seems faster too. I'm quite happy with it. Just looking forward to a jailbreak for it now :)

Mine was superb yesterday but it's losing aroun 4% an hour since last night. Have killed all apps and all seems normal again...for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

My sweet Jesus the new podcast app is woeful isn't it. Downloads take an age if indeed they even start. Why bother move it at all out of the music player.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    Explained to who? I don't follow all things Apple like a sheep, so I may have missed that.

Well I don't follow apple "like a sheep" either but let me see where did i find out about it. Well tech weekly and twit podcast have said it multiple times over the past 3 months. It was in the indo last week. Matt Cooper was talking about iOS two weeks ago and they said it. It's been on the journal, the register, the guardian, joe.ie, here and tech central.

Other than calling around to your house I'm not sure what else you expect them to do.

I got an update prompt on my phone to install iOS 6, which I rejected. I now see that I only have 500MB of space left. According to iTunes, 2.5GB is being used by "other" and the Software Update page on the phone shows that iOS 6 has "downloaded."

So will I have to update to get that space back? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

well it says the update requires 2.4 gig i think, surely that is a rip off, if you had an 8gig phone and had to use over a quarter of it for the operating software alone :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

well it says the update requires 2.4 gig i think, surely that is a rip off, if you had an 8gig phone and had to use over a quarter of it for the operating software alone :eek:

It said I needed 2.5gig free to update. So I deleted some stuff and ended up with 4.0gig free.
    Did the update and now I have 3.9gig free. So I assume it needs the space only temporarily while it performs the update.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Hunter21

But you did back up first? and you did get latest itunes before attempting update?, if so why cant you just back up the phone and try again

Yes I did a back up first. then got the latest iTunes. The phone went back to factory settings and now it says it's backing up when I plug in my phone to the laptop but it actually doesn't back yp properly if you get me. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

G-Money wrote: »
    Anyone tried it on a 3GS yet?
    Yeah, is fine.

guil wrote: »
    don't think it can be done yet but i'd say someone will be able to compile an ipa file from the map.app in ios 5

I hope so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Must say, liking ios6 a lot more now. The podcast app looks really cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

cloud493 wrote: »
    Must say, liking ios6 a lot more now. The podcast app looks really cool.

+1 re Podcast App

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Qwerty Dub wrote: »
    +1 re Podcast App

Can you do playlists yet? When it first came out you couldn't but I haven't tried any of the updates.

Advertisement