Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS 6 Megathread - All iOS 6 discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

You backup to itunes or iclound.
    In itunes rightclick the phone and choose "backup".
    If you use icloud to backup to, in phone go to icloud and choose "backup now"

I haven't noticed any wifi problems, just that it seems battery drains faster now, not sure but it feels like it's draining faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Are many having issues with wifi? Alot of my traffic goes across wifi, 4-5G a month, so dont want to run into issues there.

How do i protect/backup my phone before starting the update?

I'm personally having issues where the range the phone used to reach has reduced. It's probably 10% weaker than before and now when downstairs I find it hard to get my wifi signal. But it doesn't seem to be widespread probably just a few people.

If your updating OTA then just do an iCloud backup of your phone.

When it comes to major iOS updates I always recommend connecting it to iTunes, making sure it backs up to your computer, and then update the phone that way. But just make sure your iPhone backs up either way. It should go smoothly though. It has for the majority of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭OU812

Have to say, haven't had any issues with it. Apart from the maps issue, which I only used sporadically, I'm pretty happy with it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

krudler wrote: »
    and that podcasts are no longer in music, that was handy to quickly change between if driving or something

My podcasts are still in Music.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Harcrid

kceire wrote: »

Are these ones that you had previously downloaded and which synced across from iTunes when you connected your new phone?

Any existing podcasts I had were still in Music but when I tried to download new ones I was directed to the Podcast app.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

You need to open the new podcast app to sync your podcasts over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

iregk wrote: »
    Well I don't follow apple "like a sheep" either but let me see where did i find out about it. Well tech weekly and twit podcast have said it multiple times over the past 3 months. It was in the indo last week. Matt Cooper was talking about iOS two weeks ago and they said it. It's been on the journal, the register, the guardian, joe.ie, here and tech central.

Other than calling around to your house I'm not sure what else you expect them to do.
    LOL!!! Sure, you're no Apple fanboy alright... :D

• Site Banned Posts: 152 ✭✭CUPimus

does anyone know if its possible for gevey sim users to update to ios 6 yet?

Tea 1000 wrote: »

Are you 10 years old :confused:
    Anyway, i found a nice place for you here
    Son0vagun wrote: »
    You need to open the new podcast app to sync your podcasts over.

Nah, i'll leave them where they are for the moment :D
    Ive downloaded new editions of the podcast and they still go into music too, think i'll leave the podcast app in the app store. Only have one, Tiesto.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 denni26492

I have an iPhone 3GS .. When I go into software update iso6 is there I click to download it downloads and when it's just finished it says it can't install and brings me back to the start again and keeps doing it anyone know what I can do

• Advertisement

denni26492 wrote: »
    I have an iPhone 3GS .. When I go into software update iso6 is there I click to download it downloads and when it's just finished it says it can't install and brings me back to the start again and keeps doing it anyone know what I can do
    Have you tried updating through iTunes?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭harr

My WiFi is hit and miss since the update and the range is reduced a good bit its worse on the iPad but the phone does drop WiFi now and again as well,i now have parts of the house where the iPad wont pick the WiFi signal at all.

100 Million iOS 6 updates over the last few days. Not too bad. Majority of people must be happy enough with the update.

http://mobile.theverge.com/2012/9/24/3381840/iphone-5-sales-five-million

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Are you 10 years old :confused:
    Anyway, i found a nice place for you here
    Nope, and I don't believe I was typing to you either!
    In any case, you both missed my point in your rush to defend Apple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭v10

James__10 wrote: »
    I have a 3rd gen ipad and I recently updated to iOS6. The youtube app has disappeared and doesen't seem to be in the app store either :confused:

You can also use JASMINE, works on iPhone or iPad

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

The update is causing me a bit of grief when I use boards! Not as smooth as it was. Odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

My WiFi range is significantly less since I updated my own iPad 3, My oh's iPad 3 WiFi range is perfect.
    Is there any way to down grade to iOS 5?
    If I brought it in to CompuB would there be any chance they would swap it for and iPad on iOS5?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Velocity_Girl

denni26492 wrote: »

I'm having that problem too, even tried updating through iTunes on my MacBook Pro but I'm still getting an error & it says it can't install it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

I'm having that problem too, even tried updating through iTunes on my MacBook Pro but I'm still getting an error & it says it can't install it.
    i know you have to have the latest itunes for it to work plus is there enough memory on the phone? i think it needs 2.5 gig.

Got my space back, back up to 2.3GB now. Had to jailbreak the phone and delete the contents of the /var/MobileSoftwareUpdate/ folder using iFunBox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Velocity_Girl

i know you have to have the latest itunes for it to work plus is there enough memory on the phone? i think it needs 2.5 gig.

I have the latest iTunes & have 9GB free so I'm clueless what the problem is...think I'll give up on it tonight & start fresh tomorrow. Thank you for your help :-)

54kroc wrote: »
    If I brought it in to CompuB would there be any chance they would swap it for and iPad on iOS5?

I would hazard a guess at no, definitely not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

I have the latest iTunes & have 9GB free so I'm clueless what the problem is...think I'll give up on it tonight & start fresh tomorrow. Thank you for your help :-)

Have you tried restoring it? It would bring it up to iOS 6, make sure to back it up first though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

I just upgraded and it installed all apps that ive ever deleted from the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Sorry if this has been posted already...

Every night since I updated to iOS 6 when I wake up in the morning I have no reception on my phone. It just says no service. Its an 4s. Its plugged in charging most nights if that would make a difference.

I have to turn the phone off and back on again to get service.

This happening any one else. Its very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

jonny666 wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been posted already...

Every night since I updated to iOS 6 when I wake up in the morning I have no reception on my phone. It just says no service. Its an 4s. Its plugged in charging most nights if that would make a difference.

I have to turn the phone off and back on again to get service.

This happening any one else. Its very annoying.

Check it's set to Automatic in Carrier. Sometimes it gets knocked off and you have to manually set it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

naasrd wrote: »
    Check it's set to Automatic in Carrier. Sometimes it gets knocked off and you have to manually set it.

yup automatic is on. Very strange problem. I thought maybe its some auto shutdown setting or something cause the phone wouldnt have been used during the night but that makes no sense at all. Its happened overnight every night since the update!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭s8n

54kroc wrote: »
    My WiFi range is significantly less since I updated my own iPad 3, My oh's iPad 3 WiFi range is perfect.
    Is there any way to down grade to iOS 5?

Ate you for real ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Atomicjuicer

krudler wrote: »
    OU812 wrote: »
    Another thing I've noticed is that if you download an app, it now gets a "NEW" banner across it until you open it for the first time.

I like that, also how app updates are done in the appstore it doesnt jump you back to the homescreen to show the app update status bar

My jumping back was already there in previous version.

/not updating for now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Tea 1000 wrote: »

Yeah, as my job is IT related I listen to tWit and tech weekly podcasts every week. I also subscribe to tech central emails as well as reading the register every day. On the way home from work I listen to Matt Cooper in the car. I read the Guardian and occasionally browse joe.ie and the journal.

So tell me how does all that make me an apple fanboi? Or I suspect these days you are a fanboi by definition now if you read a site and they mention the word apple or you happen to hear it on a radio show on the way home. Mind you I'm guessing by your posts you wouldn't understand that last one as you're still in primary school. I'd back the guess another poster made at you being 10.

I'm also not sure how I rushed to defend apple. You were being completely idiotic and typically "sure nobody told me!" about it and I simply pointed out where I had personally seen it recently. I will defend any brand, company, product regardless of make or manufacturer if someone is being a tool about it. Lastly it doesn't matter if you were not typing directly to the last person who replied. This is a public forum, any comment you put up here by it's definition is addressed to everyone and not one specific poster.

Advertisement