Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS 6 Megathread - All iOS 6 discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭june92

Can someone please help me? I updated my own Iphone 4 not a bother to ios 6. Trying ALL day to update my friends Iphone 4, it downloads fully, says done and then nothing?!?!? Disappears from download screen and has not affect on Iphone, doesn't turn off or anything.

I have connected via USB, this Iphone is updating from version 4.3.3.

Anyone know how to fix this? It's in dire need of an update and getting so annoying waiting the hour for download!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

well it says the update requires 2.4 gig i think, surely that is a rip off, if you had an 8gig phone and had to use over a quarter of it for the operating software alone :eek:
    That's only if you are doing an over-the-air update. If you update via iTunes you don't need any free space other than what the OS needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 GerRockyMurphy

I was always a nokia man, but my last two mobiles were samsung galaxy mini and HTC. Never a fan of the iphone hearing about bugs and battery life etc. But heard great things about this new model. Anybody know how much it's selling for when it's released up in Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I was always a nokia man, but my last two mobiles were samsung galaxy mini and HTC. Never a fan of the iphone hearing about bugs and battery life etc. But heard great things about this new model. Anybody know how much it's selling for when it's released up in Belfast.

It's already available in Belfast and I'm sure it's sold out by now. But the prices are £529 for 16GB, £599 for 32GB and £699 for 64GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,147 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It was released on Friday, the maps are a disaster I thought they were ok but they were off on my destination by 27k today. If you use google maps / navigation you'll be very disappointed also the apps aren't made for the bigger screen so it's of no advantage just yet, I'd wait until the maps and apps are up to speed before shelling out for one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I'm noticing that iOS 6 doesn't scale wallpapers like previous ios's did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 GerRockyMurphy

It was released on Friday, the maps are a disaster I thought they were ok but they were off on my destination by 27k today. If you use google maps / navigation you'll be very disappointed also the apps aren't made for the bigger screen so it's of no advantage just yet, I'd wait until the maps and apps are up to speed before shelling out for one.

Cheers, I appreciate the honesty. Might hold off for a while so.

Few days of using iOS so far. iPhone 4 and new iPad (3rd gen)

Bugs: Wifi has been negatively effected and I've now a much worse signal.
    Not a bug so much but I don't like the new dynamic bar which changes colour depending what app you use. It does just look like hotspot is on.
    Maps obviously but I knew they'd be a problem from hearing about betas.
    Passbook only start working a while ago. Before it was really frustrating.

Pro's: Love new features. iMessage is great especially if you own another iOS device or Mac. Been replying from my MacBook and iPad the last few days. Overall speed improvements which has seemed to wipe out the sluggishness it had before. Safari is one of the biggest differences for me. Loads so much quicker. Shared photostreams, 3D flyover, Siri, do not disturb is something ill get little use from but still good to have. Like the new settings layout too, things seem easier to navigate and privacy has been made easier to control.

One feature that I'll find really handy is the new accessibility features. The one app mode is great. Can now let my younger sister use it without the worry she'll be messing around at settings or deleting stuff. Also can let friends borrow the phone and not worry about my online profiles being filled with status' that are supposedly from me.

Overall a worthwhile update i'd say. Only major problem for me is Wifi range has deceased. Otherwise I'm pretty happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

DubDJ wrote: »
    One feature that I'll find really handy is the new accessibility features. The one app mode is great. Can now let my younger sister use it without the worry she'll be messing around at settings or deleting stuff. Also can let friends borrow the phone and not worry about my online profiles being filled with status' that are supposedly from me.

Where is this setting?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭OU812

For those concerned about the maps, you can still use the online version or the mapquest app is free

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

There's ment to be problems with wifi but I can't see it
    They got rid of google maps and now use apple maps which are crap
    Other than that can't see any difference
    My iPad does not charge when in use after update

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭guil

brettmirl wrote: »
    Where is this setting?
    settings>general>accessibilty and turn on guided access

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭jakdublin

brettmirl wrote: »
    Where is this setting?

Settings-general-guided access.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

june92 wrote: »
    Can someone please help me? I updated my own Iphone 4 not a bother to ios 6. Trying ALL day to update my friends Iphone 4, it downloads fully, says done and then nothing?!?!? Disappears from download screen and has not affect on Iphone, doesn't turn off or anything.

I have connected via USB, this Iphone is updating from version 4.3.3.

Anyone know how to fix this? It's in dire need of an update and getting so annoying waiting the hour for download!

Hook it up to iTunes, back it up and transfer your purchases then do a restore. This will upgrade it to iOS 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

I have a 3rd gen ipad and I recently updated to iOS6. The youtube app has disappeared and doesen't seem to be in the app store either :confused:

Also I can't seem to switch off the Ipad? Like when I press the power button and the home button it doesen't swicth off?

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

For those lamenting loss of background playback , and the lack of decent airplay on the new YouTube app. There's an alternative. An iOS YouTube client called jasmine can be found in the App Store and its free. It has background playback, full screen airplay and there's an iPad version. It's only available for iOS 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

James__10 wrote: »
    I have a 3rd gen ipad and I recently updated to iOS6. The youtube app has disappeared and doesen't seem to be in the app store either :confused:

Also I can't seem to switch off the Ipad? Like when I press the power button and the home button it doesen't swicth off?

:confused:

Hey,

Apple removed the YouTube app in iOS 6. Also, there isn't one for the iPad yet but their is a youtube app for the iPhone in the App Store.

Google are working on one for the iPad.

For now what you can do is:

1. Access YouTube from Safari

2. Get the YouTube app for the iPhone and sync it to your iPad, it will look horrible though.

Also in regards to the power not being turned off, might be a hardware issue, keep trying though, if not then schedule a repair with Apple.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

lee3155 wrote: »
    Hey,

Apple removed the YouTube app in iOS 6. Also, there isn't one for the iPad yet but their is a youtube app for the iPhone in the App Store.

Google are working on one for the iPad.

For now what you can do is:

1. Access YouTube from Safari

2. Get the YouTube app for the iPhone and sync it to your iPad, it will look horrible though.

Also in regards to the power not being turned off, might be a hardware issue, keep trying though, if not then schedule a repair with Apple.

Or he could read my post just above yours. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Guys,

Im on the iphone4s and just got the msg that ios6 is available.

Theres a lot in this thread, but long and short of it, whats peoples view on installing it? Worth it or can of worms?

Ta

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Guys,

Im on the iphone4s and just got the msg that ios6 is available.

Theres a lot in this thread, but long and short of it, whats peoples view on installing it? Worth it or can of worms?

Ta

Depends, it seems some are happy and some are not. Overall Maps are a mess. If you don't rely on them then i'd say update. Your not loosing out on anything other than Maps. Also Google Maps will be released as a normal app in the App Store in the coming weeks. So it's only gonna be a temporary problem hopefully.

• Advertisement

:D Hahaha
    5429179_700b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭OU812

Another thing I've noticed is that if you download an app, it now gets a "NEW" banner across it until you open it for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

OU812 wrote: »
    Another thing I've noticed is that if you download an app, it now gets a "NEW" banner across it until you open it for the first time.

I like that, also how app updates are done in the appstore it doesnt jump you back to the homescreen to show the app update status bar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

Installed this on my iphone4 and it's running perfectly fine with no slow issues like in previous IOS downloads for iphone3 etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Up Dated with no problems! But wasted 40% of the battery playing around after the update! 40% in just over an hour!

Son0vagun wrote: »
    Up Dated with no problems! But wasted 40% of the battery playing around after the update! 40% in just over an hour!

the battery life is shocking on my 4s, i have location off, facetime off, siri off (never use it), have no sound or vibrate and close apps fully when I finish with them and still fly through battery, was 100% leaving for work this morning its at 52% now and all ive done is send texts and go on facebook a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭guil

krudler wrote: »
    Son0vagun wrote: »

the battery life is shocking on my 4s, i have location off, facetime off, siri off (never use it), have no sound or vibrate and close apps fully when I finish with them and still fly through battery, was 100% leaving for work this morning its at 52% now and all ive done is send texts and go on facebook a few times.
    Try restoring as a new phone and there is no need to close apps from the multitasking tray. Only a few like Skype actually stay running

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Nibs05

Not sure if it been mentioned but if you download live street view it gives google street view.

guil wrote: »
    Try restoring as a new phone and there is no need to close apps from the multitasking tray. Only a few like Skype actually stay running

as in dont have to double tap the home button? interesting didnt realise that.

so far the only things I dont like are google maps being gone, auto brightness is broken, dont like the blue transparency bar at the top and that podcasts are no longer in music, that was handy to quickly change between if driving or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Are many having issues with wifi? Alot of my traffic goes across wifi, 4-5G a month, so dont want to run into issues there.

How do i protect/backup my phone before starting the update?

Advertisement