Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM Class of 2011- the continuing challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Name|Weeks Sessions|Weeks Total|Monthly Total|Yearly total|Comments
    BobMac104|6 |53.28m |17m |1458.78| solid week happy enough.|
    rom| | ||1525||
    Younganne|1|8.6m|8.6m|718.28|only 1 run this week but back to it now so heres hoping it continues without interuption for the next 8 weeks!!!
    red face dave ||||341||
    Nules10 ||||276.3|
    run44||||482.1m||
    Scriba ||||253.84m||
    Emer911||||709.51|

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

good to hear Anne!! is it only 8 weeks? eek!

yep 8 weeks, have you decided it your doing it yet???
    got another 5m done this morn so happy out!!:D

Younganne wrote: »
    yep 8 weeks, have you decided it your doing it yet???

Nope:o , I need a few more weeks of training and a race or two to decide. i am gonna pay full wack if i do but its worth waiting another bit. I think.

got another 5m done this morn so happy out!!:D

Savage! hows the sinus?

BobMac104 wrote: »
    Nope:o , I need a few more weeks of training and a race or two to decide. i am gonna pay full wack if i do but its worth waiting another bit. I think.

Savage! hows the sinus?

you know you'll end up doing it or regretting it if you don't...go on enter:D:D
    Sinus, not 100%, but much better...bearable!!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Savage! hows the sinus?
    If your heart/motivation is not 100% in it then are you better off waiting till the next one ? What races you coming up ? Doing any the local halfs ?

my heart is in it, its my heart rate that is not co-operating:P

ya maybe Charleville and cork to cobh.

my heart is in it, its my heart rate that is not co-operating:P

ya maybe Charleville and cork to cobh.
    Am racing Charleville but might do cork to cobh as a LSR or at marathon pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

rom| | ||1525||
    Younganne|1|8.6m|8.6m|718.28|only 1 run this week but back to it now so heres hoping it continues without interuption for the next 8 weeks!!!
    red face dave ||||341||
    Nules10 ||||276.3|
    run44||||482.1m||
    Scriba ||||253.84m||
    Emer911|5|44.08|17|748.21| one bad day, but the others were all OK - good. Happy with the way things are going at the mo.

Great weeks running Emer!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Hi folks

Sorry about the delay on this.

|Mon|Tue|Wed|Thur|Fri|Sat|Sun|
    |Rest|6 mile easy|Session 1|7m easy|20 min recovery|Session 2|2 hours 45 min

Session 1 - 2 miles easy 5x1 mile @ MP with 2 min recovery, 2 miles easy

Session 2 - 2 miles easy, 20 min diagonals, 2 miles easy

rom|6 |37m |21m|1574|recovery week turned into being sick for two days too. Next goal half on 23rd and to ramp up the mileage for the next two weeks before the race. LSR of 20m with 9 miles at MP turned into 13 on Sat. Silly when was sick the two days before. Weight starting to come off for DCM as I am watching everything that I eat. Just goes to show that you can't lose weight by exercise alone|
    red face dave ||||341||
    Nules10 ||||276.3|
    run44||||482.1m||
    Scriba ||||253.84m||
    Emer911|5|44.08|17|748.21| one bad day, but the others were all OK - good. Happy with the way things are going at the mo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Hi Folks

Here is this weeks plan. I have done up a race week/ non race week schedule just for those who are running Dublin next week

Non Race Week

|Rest|6 mile easy|Session 1|7m easy|20 min recovery|5 miles easy|Session 2

Session 1 - 2 miles easy, 8 x 90 sec hills walk back recovery , 2 miles easy

Session 2 -
    2 miles easy,
    4 miles MP,
    1 mile easy,
    3 miles MP,
    1 mile easy,
    2 miles MP,
    1 mile easy,
    1 mile MP,
    2 miles easy

Total (17 miles)

Race Week

|Rest|4 mile easy|Session 1|OFF|20 min recovery|Race|6 miles easy

Session 1 2 mile warm up, 200, 400, 800, 400, 200 with 200 jog rec

200- 1 mile pace
    400 - 5k pace
    800 - 1 mile pace

Any questions just ask

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

BobMac104|| ||1458.78| |
    rom| | ||1574||
    Younganne||||718.28| |
    red face dave ||||341||
    Nules10 ||||276.3| |
    run44||||482.1m||
    Scriba ||||253.84m||
    Emer911|5|44.17 |71.18|792.39| Good week. A shiny new 5k PB on Thursday, and the first 20 miler done and dusted - with no niggles (but totally wrecked after that!)

BobMac104|| ||1458.78| |
    rom|8 |67m |88m|1629|Good solid 22m done on sat, less stressed about DCM now after stopping after 13 of 20 last week. Over sickness|
    Younganne||||718.28| |
    red face dave ||||341||
    Nules10 ||||276.3| |
    run44||||482.1m||
    Scriba ||||253.84m||
    Emer911|5|44.17 |71.18|792.39| Good week. A shiny new 5k PB on Thursday, and the first 20 miler done and dusted - with no niggles (but totally wrecked after that!)

BobMac104|| ||1458.78| |
    rom|8 |67m |88m|1629|Good solid 22m done on sat, less stressed about DCM now after stopping after 13 of 20 last week. Over sickness|
    Younganne|5|37.17m|45.77m|755.45m|Delighted to be almost back to full mileage and thrilled to have managed 18m LSR yesterday!! and no niggles today!!:D |
    red face dave ||||341||
    Nules10 ||||276.3| |
    run44||||482.1m||
    Scriba ||||253.84m||

BobMac104|6|50.05 |67.05|1508.83|Foot issues midweek ,had to pull up a mile into a run. managed to get it right pretty quick. 1st 20m LSR done yesteday. Legs feel good today. happy enough!|
    Younganne|5|37.17m|45.77m|755.45m|Delighted to be almost back to full mileage and thrilled to have managed 18m LSR yesterday!! and no niggles today!!:D |
    red face dave ||||341||
    Nules10 ||||276.3| |
    run44||||482.1m||
    Scriba ||||253.84m||

so according to my garmin 20.3miles @8:30 pace ~2600 cals. What do you guys eat during the day after a big LSR?

ill go first.

pre run,pitta bread +jam.
    tea.

after.
    cornflakes,
    porridge + seeds and honey,
    yazoo,
    tea.
    a roll from the shop,
    ham, spuds + veg for dinner (thanks mam),
    choc biscuits,
    random bits of fruit,

no where near enough probably but thats all i could fit in.

so according to my garmin 20.3miles @8:30 pace ~2600 cals. What do you guys eat during the day after a big LSR?

ill go first.

pre run,pitta bread +jam.
    tea.

after.
    cornflakes,
    porridge + seeds and honey,
    yazoo,
    tea.
    a roll from the shop,
    ham, spuds + veg for dinner (thanks mam),
    choc biscuits,
    random bits of fruit,

no where near enough probably but thats all i could fit in.

I used 2447 cals and my days eating was
    pre run
    coffee,
    porridge, 1 x homemade chunk of brown bread & marmalade, & tea.

during run
    packet of jellies(small packet 10 little jellies)
    bottle of sports drink
    750m water + about 300 of another 750m bottle
    half bar of nutty/muesliy thing from Havest
    1 x Sis isogel

post run
    banana, another bag of jellies,
    2 x white bread toasted with ham, tomato & cheese, tea & penguin bar(all at mams)
    then home for dinner - spuds, peas, ham white sauce, icecream & jelly,(first time in years having jelly but kids wanted to make it so why not!!!)
    orange & apple
    coffee
    2 x bottle miller!!:rolleyes:

I used 2447 cals and my days eating was

during run
    packet of jellies(small packet 10 little jellies)
    bottle of sports drink
    750m water + about 300 of another 750m bottle
    half bar of nutty/muesliy thing from Havest
    1 x Sis isogel

fair play, i couldnt stomach that amount on a run. I had a gel that i diluted in one of my bottles just. Do you carry all this or do you run in a loop / have them planted?

edit: just read your log where all is explained

• Advertisement

Pre
    Weetabix - 2 Biscuits With 140ml Sainsbury's Semi-Skimmed Milk, 1 serving
    Aldi Duneen - Handmade Farmhouse Probiotic Yoghurt, 140 g
    (dairy not a good idea as I needed to take a pit stop)

during
    Aldi Explosade - Still Isotonic Orange, 2 container (500 mls ea.) dilluted 1:1 with water and 1 nuun per 500ml's so thats 4 nuun + 2 liters of fluid in total.
    3 x Powerbar - Energy Gel - lime (other flavours are nasty)

Optimum Nutrition - 2:1:1 Recovery- Colossal Chocolate, 2 Rounded Scoop
    Aldi- Del Rivo - Orange Juice With Bits (Nfc), 150 ml
    Generic - Turkey Breast Skinless Cooked 113 g (4 oz), 2 oz
    Homemade Salad - Iceberg Lettuce, Red Onions, Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Peppers and Carrots, 2 cup
    Salad Dressing - Balsamic Vinaigrette, 2 tbsn

rom wrote: »

during
    Aldi Explosade - Still Isotonic Orange, 2 container (500 mls ea.) dilluted 1:1 with water and 1 nuun per 500ml's so thats 4 nuun + 2 liters of fluid in total.
    3 x Powerbar - Energy Gel - lime (other flavours are nasty)

again wow, thats alot. In total i had ~500ml's water between my bottles and a tap thats on my route where i refilled one. I cant imagine taking all this. Do you not get "sloshy stomach syndrome"?

Well I was worried about that too. I nice sip every mile when autolap beeps. I have ran 2+ hrs with no water too but this is defo the way to go. My run was a 22M with 10M at MP so I don't think I would have drank as much if it was a full easy run. But drink a small bit on autolap really seems to work (first time I tried it) and will be doing it for my other LSR's/combo session and for DCM. For the first time ever I felt great after doing 22M.

.. For the first time ever I felt great after doing 22M.

cant argue with this!!

cant argue with this!!
    A little voice in my head was going go on its only 4.2 more and you feel grand,normally it's I feel bad. I used 1 500ml bottle every 6 miles and so at 22 i had some left over if that makes sense. Really looking forward to DCM now. Also the next day I was directing traffic for 3 hours at the 1/2 in Blarney and went for a small run in the farm in the evening. Was fine. A bit strange to be honest.

thats odd i had similar voices yesterday but the energy was waining so i didnt bother doing more than the 20. if i had another gel with me id have gone the 26 pretty comfortably i reckon (which was a welcome confidence boost). the fact that i ran this on my own at 30 sec a mile slower than ususall ment it was mentally tougher (for the first ten atleast) but physically much easier. I am afraid to do any MP miles for fear of them telling me what i already know!!22 with 10@MP is no easy run and the fact that you were comfortable is a great sign.

So I presume you are doing Dublin. I have a 22M with 15 MP in 3 weeks time which will be a real teller but I could have done it Saturday no probs.

So I presume you are doing Dublin......

You can presume all you like:D but i am still undecided tbh. I should just bite the bullet and go for it. the fear might spur me on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭meijin

I found the time between 10m race and HM a bit tight... first week was recovery with very slow and painful 5m on Thursday (should have really gone for 3m instead) and a bit better 5m on Saturday.

Next week got back to training, but there wasn't enough time to increase the distance, or do any tempo runs
    Tuesday: 20min warm-up + 8*20s sprint intervals with 2min recovery between
    Thursday: easy 5m
    Saturday: easy 10m (I was thinking of doing more, but with only one week to the HM race didn't want to overdo it)

This week:
    Monday: 20min warm-up + 6*20s sprint intervals
    Wednesday: easy 3m
    Friday: 20min warm-up + 3*20s intervals (slower than usual) with 2 min recovery. Also went for table tennis session after that - after whole day of carb loading I had way too much energy ;)

I was more careful with food this week, so no allergy issues. As I'm in general low-carb, decided to do a bit of carb loading on Friday... :) it was tough... but worked quite well I think.

Before the 10m race I was starving, so added chicken breast and big beetroot to the 100g of buckwheat at 6:30. Found it to keep me full till the race started, but not too full :)

Did few minutes jog and usual warm-up and made my way to 1:40 pacers. After the start I've fallen back a bit at times, but was trying not to loose too much distance and planned to catch them up close to the finish.
    Found the start a bit though, as usual I find the first 5 miles, then it got into a more natural rhythm. I was waiting for the hills people were complaining about, but there was really one bad place, before S-bends, and then it was quite exposed and windy. At the final stretch made my way back to pacers, finished beside them, and as usual could barely walk after the finish :P
    [I'm not able to describe the whole route, my mind switches off when running :P]

chip time: 1:39:3x
    PB by almost 10 minutes :D
    (Many thanks to all 1:40 pacers!)

Had my recovery drink, stretched a bit and had a nice walk to Ryans to say hello to few boardsies. Also had some very nice steak :D

Next week is recovery and then I'm going to try something new ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

meijin wrote: »

Had my recovery drink, stretched a bit and had a nice walk to Ryans to say hello to few boardsies. Also had some very nice steak :D

Next week is recovery and then I'm going to try something new ;)

It's very rare in this world that one gets some nice steak ;) So well done on that point. Last night I went to the local butchers and paid a premium for a small piece of lean meat and the taste compred to the normal ****e was incredilble.
    Anyhows good luck with the improvement but if you want to get better at running it means more running which means more carbs and less weights probably les protein. your choce. best of luck.

Advertisement