Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM Class of 2011- the continuing challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭meijin

menoscemo wrote: »
    It's very rare in this world that one gets some nice steak ;) So well done on that point. Last night I went to the local butchers and paid a premium for a small piece of lean meat and the taste compred to the normal ****e was incredilble.

OK, well, it was good enough ;) But after a race everything tastes good.
    Anyhows good luck with the improvement but if you want to get better at running it means more running which means more carbs and less weights probably les protein. your choce. best of luck.

Thanks!

I know, you keep telling me to run more often, but... 3 days a week is perfect for me :) + bodyweight & table tennis some other days. Actually table tennis season starts soon, and that means league match every week. I do have carbs, but only after running session. Actually I was 2kg heavier than last year for HM - all those proteins and lifting... :rolleyes:

So, see you for 1:30 HM next year? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

meijin wrote: »
    I found the time between 10m race and HM a bit tight... first week was recovery with very slow and painful 5m on Thursday (should have really gone for 3m instead) and a bit better 5m on Saturday.

Next week got back to training, but there wasn't enough time to increase the distance, or do any tempo runs
    Tuesday: 20min warm-up + 8*20s sprint intervals with 2min recovery between
    Thursday: easy 5m
    Saturday: easy 10m (I was thinking of doing more, but with only one week to the HM race didn't want to overdo it)

This week:
    Monday: 20min warm-up + 6*20s sprint intervals
    Wednesday: easy 3m
    Friday: 20min warm-up + 3*20s intervals (slower than usual) with 2 min recovery. Also went for table tennis session after that - after whole day of carb loading I had way too much energy ;)

I was more careful with food this week, so no allergy issues. As I'm in general low-carb, decided to do a bit of carb loading on Friday... :) it was tough... but worked quite well I think.

Before the 10m race I was starving, so added chicken breast and big beetroot to the 100g of buckwheat at 6:30. Found it to keep me full till the race started, but not too full :)

Did few minutes jog and usual warm-up and made my way to 1:40 pacers. After the start I've fallen back a bit at times, but was trying not to loose too much distance and planned to catch them up close to the finish.
    Found the start a bit though, as usual I find the first 5 miles, then it got into a more natural rhythm. I was waiting for the hills people were complaining about, but there was really one bad place, before S-bends, and then it was quite exposed and windy. At the final stretch made my way back to pacers, finished beside them, and as usual could barely walk after the finish :P
    [I'm not able to describe the whole route, my mind switches off when running :P]

chip time: 1:39:3x
    PB by almost 10 minutes :D
    (Many thanks to all 1:40 pacers!)

Had my recovery drink, stretched a bit and had a nice walk to Ryans to say hello to few boardsies. Also had some very nice steak :D

Next week is recovery and then I'm going to try something new ;)

"Found the start a bit though, as usual I find the first 5 miles, then it got into a more natural rhythm." This to me would be that you have not warmed up enough. What is your usual warmup ? http://academic.udayton.edu/paulvanderburgh/weight_age_grading_calculator.htm

rom wrote: »
    "Found the start a bit though, as usual I find the first 5 miles, then it got into a more natural rhythm." This to me would be that you have not warmed up enough. What is your usual warmup ?

Hmm... it's not really like running was difficult, it's more about finding a good rhythm and flow. I just find it interesting - even when in training, which is much slower I see something similar after 5 miles - it gets easier, even if the start was tougher. But, I'm not into 5 mile warm-ups before HM race :P

I did 5 min jog, some static (light) and dynamic stretching (10-15 min), another 5 min jog with few strides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Hi Folks

Hope everyone is good after todays racing congrats to everyone who did it seems as though there were PBs left right and centre. Sorry I couldn't make Ryans after as I know a few of you guys showed up there for a while (hopefully some of the old heads didnt steer you too far wrong :D)

Here is this weeks training while I have a chance to send it on

|Mon|Tue|Wed|Thur|Fri|Sat|Sun|
    |Rest|4 mile easy|5 miles easy|Session 1|7 miles easy|Recover|20 miles easy (or 3.30 which ever comes first)

Session 1 2 miles easy, 3 miles @ MP 2 miles @ HMP 1 mile @ 10k 2 miles easy

Recoveries: 2 min after MP, 1 min after HMP

Any questions just ask

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

ecoli wrote: »
    Hi Folks

Hope everyone is good after todays racing congrats to everyone who did it seems as though there were PBs left right and centre. Sorry I couldn't make Ryans after as I know a few of you guys showed up there for a while (hopefully some of the old heads didnt steer you too far wrong :D)

Here is this weeks training while I have a chance to send it on

|Rest|4 mile easy|5 miles easy|Session 1|7 miles easy|Recover|20 miles easy (or 3.30 which ever comes first)

Session 1 2 miles easy, 3 miles @ MP 2 miles @ HMP 1 mile @ 10k 2 miles easy

Recoveries: 2 min after MP, 1 min after HMP

Any questions just ask

Is Sat a rest day, or the usual 20mins recovery? BTW How did you know i was going to a wedding on friday and need to recover before sundays LSR???:o

Name|Weeks Sessions|Weeks Total|Monthly Total|Yearly total|Comments
    BobMac104|6|50.05 |67.05|1508.83|Foot issues midweek ,had to pull up a mile into a run. managed to get it right pretty quick. 1st 20m LSR done yesteday. Legs feel good today. happy enough!|
    rom|8 |67m |88m|1629|Good solid 22m done on sat, less stressed about DCM now after stopping after 13 of 20 last week. Over sickness|
    Younganne|5|37.01m|80.78m|790.46m|Delighted with yesterday PB 1.49.41 and a full weeks running. :D |
    red face dave ||||341||
    Nules10 ||||276.3| |
    run44||||482.1m||
    Scriba ||||253.84m||
    Emer911|5|44.17 |71.18|792.39| Good week. A shiny new 5k PB on Thursday, and the first 20 miler done and dusted - with no niggles (but totally wrecked after that!)

Younganne wrote: »
    Is Sat a rest day, or the usual 20mins recovery? BTW How did you know i was going to a wedding on friday and need to recover before sundays LSR???:o

Sorry your right that's a 20 min recovery jog. I am just that good at knowing what my athletes need :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

BobMac104|6|50.05 |67.05|1508.83|Foot issues midweek ,had to pull up a mile into a run. managed to get it right pretty quick. 1st 20m LSR done yesteday. Legs feel good today. happy enough!|
    rom|8 |67m |88m|1629|Good solid 22m done on sat, less stressed about DCM now after stopping after 13 of 20 last week. Over sickness|
    Younganne|5|37.01m|80.78m|790.46m|Delighted with yesterday PB 1.49.41 and a full weeks running. :D |
    red face dave ||||341||
    Nules10 ||||276.3| |
    run44||||482.1m||
    Scriba ||||253.84m||
    Emer911|5|36.16 |107.34|828.25|Another good week. HM PB and a good prep for the DCM race day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

BobMac104|5|35|102.05|1543.83|bit of a step back week as was on holidays for a good bit of last week. |
    red face dave ||||341||
    Nules10 ||||276.3| |
    run44||||482.1m||
    Scriba ||||253.84m||
    Emer911|5|36.16 |107.34|828.25|Another good week. HM PB and a good prep for the DCM race day.

• Advertisement

BobMac104|5|35|102.05|1543.83|bit of a step back week as was on holidays for a good bit of last week. |
    rom|7 |39m |128m|1668|Sick again. No running until I am better. 1/2 on Sunday :(|
    red face dave ||||341||
    Nules10 ||||276.3| |
    run44||||482.1m||
    Scriba ||||253.84m||

sorry to hear that ROM.
    make sure you get rid of that as the priority!

hope you're rockin in no time

Right folks

Hope this week went well. Here is next week and hopefully you guys are feeling okay. We are in the last few hard weeks before we begin the taper so for now I want people making an extra effort in terms of recovering between sessions and avoiding sickness. This is no time to be a hero if you are feeling a bit dodgy dont be afraid to cut a run here or there if you truly believe it is going to affect training more longer term

|Rest|5 mile easy|Session 1|6m easy|20 min recovery|5 miles easy|Session 2

Session 1 - 2 miles easy, 5 x 1 mile @ HMP with 2 min rec , 2 miles easy

Session 2 -
    1 miles easy,
    1 miles MP,
    2 mile easy,
    2 miles MP,
    3 mile easy,
    3 miles MP,
    2 mile easy,
    2 mile MP,
    1 miles easy
    1 mile MP

Total (18 miles)

Any questions just ask

rom|7 |39m |128m|1668|Sick again. No running until I am better. 1/2 on Sunday :(|
    red face dave ||||341||
    Nules10 ||||276.3| |
    run44||||482.1m||
    Scriba ||||253.84m||
    Emer911|5|48.03 |155.37|876.58| Biggest ever mileage week for me, and the body is still holding together <phew> :p

Younganne|5|42.78m|123.56m|833.24m|the week was a bit messy with switching runs and trying to fit them in etc...hopefully next week will run much smoother! Delighted to get 20m LSR done comfortable enough today, :D |
    red face dave ||||341||
    Nules10 ||||276.3| |
    run44||||482.1m||
    Scriba ||||253.84m||
    Emer911|5|48.03 |155.37|876.58| Biggest ever mileage week for me, and the body is still holding together <phew> :p

The week was a bit messy with switching runs and trying to fit them in etc...hopefully next week will run much smoother!
    Delighted to get 20m LSR done comfortable enough today, :D

BobMac104|5|38.21|140.05|1581.83|1.33 for the charleville half yesterday. cant complain really!! |
    Younganne|5|42.78m|123.56m|833.24m|the week was a bit messy with switching runs and trying to fit them in etc...hopefully next week will run much smoother! Delighted to get 20m LSR done comfortable enough today, :D |
    red face dave ||||341||
    Nules10 ||||276.3| |
    run44||||482.1m||
    Scriba ||||253.84m||

kept it light this week as i was going to race charleville (i had been dreading it for about two weeks).

Race report:
    As i said abouve i was dreading this as 5/6 weeks ago i nearly got sick having stringed 3 x 7 min miles togther in a tempo run so i had visions of walking/running very slowly at the five mile mark. I went down with a load of people from the club and deided to go with one of them at 7 min miles.
    As we started i was comfortable enough surprisingly and 3-4 miles in i was encouraged to still be feeling ok and got to half way without too many negative thoughts really (there are always some!). started to fall off the pace slightly here to around 7:05 to 7-10's. Went through 10miles in bang on 71 and considering my ten mile pb is 70:2x i was happy. last three miles were hard to hold pace. nearly choked on water at one stage also. Held on untill the last hill which i found tough but had enought kick on for the last 50m or so. 1:33:42. average 7:08. A PB and maybe the suggestion that I am getting back to where i was before cork. cant complain!!.

5 out of 10 because of sickness finished in like 1:32:17. I was talking to one on the last hill saying that I was going to push on for the last 1/2 mile which I did.He said he was gonna keep doing 7 min miles. Was that you ??? Back in doc this morning for 2nd course of anti-biotics with a half PB in the middle. Pitty I couldnt take advantage of the fast course with my HR hitting 180 on mile 3 and staying there when it was 10 beats lower for the Frank Duffy throughtout. Ah well.

No that wasnt me but a clubmate did finish around your time so it may have been him! Hard lcuk on the sickness, youd be well up with the 90 lads id say if you were rite.

BobMac104 wrote: »
    No that wasnt me but a clubmate did finish around your time so it may have been him! Hard lcuk on the sickness, youd be well up with the 90 lads id say if you were rite.
    Was 1/4 of a mile in front of them till halfway and feeling very comfortable. Took a gel without water and stomach was turning. excuses excuses. Pitty I will have to wait till next year to do this course again.

tis a good course alright but there will be many more races. I now have even more respect for sub 3 hour runners after yesterday. long way to run at that pace.

• Advertisement

BobMac104 wrote: »
    tis a good course alright but there will be many more races. I now have even more respect for sub 3 hour runners after yesterday. long way to run at that pace.
    Don't put anyone on a pedestal that you can't reach just work harder to achieve same. ;)

its gone very quite in here.:eek:
    We will have to get this years Novices to join us after Dublin to get a bit of life back into us!!:D

its gone very quite in here.:eek:
    We will have to get this years Novices to join us after Dublin to get a bit of life back into us!!:D
    We are all dreading the taper :)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Jimh

29:41 for 6Km with the last two at 4:49 each today so happy with that my program has me tapering a bit early for my liking so I am going to try and get a 20 miler in this weekend though I am only down for 24 Km. Marathon Guru has me at 3:54 but without any races in I am a bit wary of going outt too quick so I will try and start just behind the 4:00 pacers and try to get halfway in around 1:58 and see how I feel from there. Last year I got halfway in 2:00 then died after 14 mile and struggled finishing in 4:28
    This week I had a rest day Monday, 16Km in 1:35 Tuesday, missed Wednesday due to work but did a double session Thursday, 10K in the morning in 58Min and 5 x 1 Km in 5:03/4:48/4:49/4:48/4:51 with 2 minute walk in between and 1K warm up/1K warm down in the afternoon,

Managed 30Km - Reasonably happy with that - Legs were a bit tired but this is my 5th 50 mile week - The taper starts now :)

Jimh wrote: »
    Managed 30Km - Reasonably happy with that - Legs were a bit tired but this is my 5th 50 mile week - The taper starts now :)

A 4 week taper? I think this might be a bit too long like a month of dropped mileage will most likely have a slightly adverse effect. If you are going to do this though make sure you start to bring down you mileage only marginally over the next 2 weeks otherwise it could leave you feeling stale

ecoli wrote: »
    A 4 week taper? I think this might be a bit too long like a month of dropped mileage will most likely have a slightly adverse effect. If you are going to do this though make sure you start to bring down you mileage only marginally over the next 2 weeks otherwise it could leave you feeling stale
    I am following the Marathon Guru plan and I am already exceeding what they have in the program - They had me only down for 24Km today - I e-mailed them this week and this is what I got back

On Sep 25, 2012, at 7:31 AM, Jim Holmes wrote:
    Hi,
    I am following the Marathon Guru Intermediate for Dublin on Oct 27th and I am a little concerned that the program seems to be tapering already – is this not a bit early – I have dropped the LSR to 28Km this week and it falls by 4Km a week for the next few weeks so it looks like my long runs have ended and the midweek drops to 16/13 km in the next few weeks
    Just a bit worried it is too early to cut back – most programs pull back on the last 3 weeks not from 6 weeks
    Can you advise
    Regards
    Jim

Hi Jim,

The training program only starts tapering with 4 weeks to go:

Week 8 18 miles
    Week 9 20 miles
    Week 10 22 miles
    Week 11 20 miles
    Week 12 18 miles

I will have Scott take a look at your program to make sure everything is working properly from our end.

Weeks 8 - 12 are the bulk of the program and the reason why we start the taper from then is alot of runners never actually get the benefit from the taper as it is too short for them and they go into the race flat OR the end up with an injury and try to train through. The taper we find gives athletes that extra bit of time to freshen up and take care of any little niggles/ injuries well ahead of race time.

This is another reason why our training programs are 16 weeks and not like most that are 12 - 14 weeks. We want you to get those extra weeks in so when you start tapering you can take confidence in knowing the work has been done. It takes many runs to get you fit and ready to race but it only takes 1 run to bring all that work undone.

Our programs don't take risks and if done correctly you will get the most from it and run well on the day that it really counts which is race day.

Good Luck,

Cheers

Lee

attachment.ashx?id=RgAAAAA7RFBxnNPPTZfZKg4lh8AmBwC8SEyL13GMRpo5EbQBRmMOAAAAAdamAAABziHaEw50T7LKepZtHZcOAB5fMCZsAAAJ&attcnt=1&attid0=EABxa%2bPSvUEgR7li2vowg0Kr
    Coach:
    Lee Troop

BobMac104|5|38.21|140.05|1581.83|1.33 for the charleville half yesterday. cant complain really!! |
    red face dave ||||341||
    Nules10 ||||276.3| |
    run44||||482.1m||
    Scriba ||||253.84m||
    Emer911|5|34.12 |189.49|910.69| Step back week - much welcomed - and finished it with a very hilly LSR to test the lungs & legs. All still working ok.

Step back week - much welcomed - and finished it with a very hilly LSR to test the lungs & legs. All still working ok.

Only 4 weeks to go now! How's everyone feeling? Confident?

Younganne|6|46.44m|170.00m|879.68m|full week done and LSR of 18m today was my toughest run to date!! but its done!!:) |
    red face dave ||||341||
    Nules10 ||||276.3| |
    run44||||482.1m||
    Scriba ||||253.84m||
    Emer911|5|34.12 |189.49|910.69| Step back week - much welcomed - and finished it with a very hilly LSR to test the lungs & legs. All still working ok.

Emer, after todays run i'm not confident, but as i tell the Novices, i can't let 1 bad run knock me!!!:o

• Advertisement

Emer, after todays run i'm not confident, but as i tell the Novices, i can't let 1 bad run knock me!!!:o

That was a really tough run though Anne, so I'm sure it'll stand to you. After the taper you'll be raring to go and all these tough days will be worth it (I hope! :D)

Advertisement