Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should school uniforms be abolished ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

FinnLizzy wrote: »
    Well I don't know about you, but everyone I knew in secondary school changed out of their uniforms the second they got home. Did you ever go to a school without uniform? I had the benefit of seeing both perspectives.

My school had no uniforms in first year and i can confidently say that choice of clothing never led to bullying. My mohawk got me a few sly digs though, but I amn't an emotional cripple so I didn't take it to heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,120 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

CallMeFlo wrote: »
    Are you serious right now? :p Did you really read my post and believe that when I said I wish college had uniforms that I meant it? I was just expressing how nervous I was about starting college and getting new clothes and that. To say that I have no business going to college over that is just ridiculous but thanks anyways :D

Yep. Just re-read it there and it still sounds serious. You wish adults had to wear uniforms because it would make it easier to choose clothes. The stuff about being nervous starting college is a side issue, I assume anyone would be nervous starting college, and uniforms would neither help nor hinder you. You're supposed to be an adult by that stage.

When I said that some people had no business in college, it was a general comment not meant for you specifically.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭CallMeFlo

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Yep. Just re-read it there and it still sounds serious. You wish adults had to wear uniforms because it would make it easier to choose clothes. The stuff about being nervous starting college is a side issue, I assume anyone would be nervous starting college, and uniforms would neither help nor hinder you. You're supposed to be an adult by that stage.

When I said that some people had no business in college, it was a general comment not meant for you specifically.

Plus I'm starting college and I wish they had uniforms!! Freaking out about getting new clothes and shoes and such like :p
    Awh yeah I know what you mean but I still think uniforms are a good idea, I mean I'm nervous and everything but once I'm settled I won't care anymore :).

Maybe I just don't come off the way I mean to when typing :confused:

See I put the licky face in my first post because I wasn't being serious and in my second post I said about being nervous but that once I'm settled I'll get over it, meaning the whole wearing my own clothes everyday thing. Now do you get what I meant? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭FinnLizzy

What a lot of people seem to forget is the amount of time dedicated to uniform checks, and sh1tty punishments due to improper uniform wearing.
    Teutorix wrote: »
    My school had no uniforms in first year and i can confidently say that choice of clothing never led to bullying. My mohawk got me a few sly digs though, but I amn't an emotional cripple so I didn't take it to heart.

I also had a mohawk and don't regret it. I was getting more greif off my parents though, haha.

FinnLizzy wrote: »
    What a lot of people seem to forget is the amount of time dedicated to uniform checks, and sh1tty punishments due to improper uniform wearing.

I also had a mohawk and don't regret it. I was getting more greif off my parents though, haha.

My mom cut it for me :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Uniforms are a farce. As are codes for haircuts etc.

Apart from them being gross restrictions on kids ability to express themselves, which as kids they should be allowed do since its not really so easy when you are older in a job etc, they force parents to buy an entirely extra otherwise unnecessary, expensive set of clothes for kids. The argument of uniforms stopping kids competing is complete rubbish since the kids will compete out of school if they are the competing type anyhow. Quite apart from this the government has parents looking for education grants for their 200,000 which is 40,000 more than expected - to cover back to school expenses - a large proportion of which is made up by uniform expenses.

Its a complete farce.

John Q Taxpayer did you know your taxes were being used for this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Uniforms are a farce. As are codes for haircuts etc.

Apart from them being gross restrictions on kids ability to express themselves, which as kids they should be allowed do since its not really so easy when you are older in a job etc, they force parents to buy an entirely extra otherwise unnecessary, expensive set of clothes for kids. The argument of uniforms stopping kids competing is complete rubbish since the kids will compete out of school if they are the competing type anyhow. Quite apart from this the government has parents looking for education grants for their 200,000 which is 40,000 more than expected - to cover back to school expenses - a large proportion of which is made up by uniform expenses.

Its a complete farce.

John Q Taxpayer did you know your taxes were being used for this ?

So is cost the problem with uniforms? If schools had generic uniforms, trousers, shirt and jumper that can be bought in Dunnes or somewhere for a few quid would that not make more sense?
    I went to school up north and when I started my secondary school there was an official supplier of uniforms (cost a fortune), but that was done away with shortly after and as long as the uniform was the right colour, the only purchase that had to be made there was for a tie (and that should do for the full seven years). That was 20 years ago now, am I right in assuming that this rubbish still goes on down here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Apart from them being gross restrictions on kids ability to express themselves
    Just my personal take, but I never found this, and I would have been leaning in the creative/artistic direction. All clothes can become a uniform tbh.

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    So is cost the problem with uniforms? If schools had generic uniforms, trousers, shirt and jumper that can be bought in Dunnes or somewhere for a few quid would that not make more sense?
    I went to school up north and when I started my secondary school there was an official supplier of uniforms (cost a fortune), but that was done away with shortly after and as long as the uniform was the right colour, the only purchase that had to be made there was for a tie (and that should do for the full seven years). That was 20 years ago now, am I right in assuming that this rubbish still goes on down here?

Yes you would be. My school had to get uniforms from a supplier in galway, retardedly expensive and the clothing was of the shabbiest quality i have ever seen. The jackets were made of paper, the jumpers were like a sheep was sheered, dyed black and no other processing was done. and the shirts tore at the seems from daily wear and tear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I agree with them either being abolished completely, with a dress code in place or at least made simple and generic (eg. Black trousers, white shirt, black jumper and free choice on shoes, jackets, scarves etc)

I can only speak from my own experience, but my god my uniform was terrible quality. It cost a fortune and within a couple of months my jumper sleeves would be fraying to shreds and my skirt hem would be falling apart. Having one uniform for 4 seasons is outrageous and ridiculous, especially with the highly changeable Irish weather. My school went the whole hog as well - jacket and scarf etc :rolleyes: All of which were poor quality and overpriced! We were even supposed to wear green O'Neills for PE, which was ridiculous, since they were about £40 at the time if my memory serves my correctly. My mam point blank refused to buy them and I did initially get into trouble over it.

I'm a few years out of school now, but I have not and will not change my opinion on how schools overly enforce uniforms and appearance rules.

As a 13 year old, I had an unfortunate phase of mild acne. I was publicly berated for having make up on over it, and lectured by a teacher on how I was making my skin worse. It was incredibly embarassing, and as someone earlier pointed out, sometimes school staff members really go on a power trip over these things.

TL DR - At a secondary level, you have to learn to think like a grown up. Having a dress code to adhere to is the most practical approach for this, since you'll be doing it for the rest of your life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

We were even supposed to wear green O'Neills for PE, which was ridiculous, since they were about £40 at the time .

Ah but they stopped you wearing all those branded clothes.....Oh wait !

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Nikey

I wish everyone had to wear a uniform in adult life too. Loved the ease of just rolling out of bed knowing what to wear. Its far too much hassle these days having to look for decent clothes to buy that suit me then worrying what they look like and so on...

Hmm, be cool yeah!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

Oh hi. I was just listening to newstalk there so I was and they were talking about the expenses related to children's school uniforms.

The presenter remarked that his children's school allow them to wear a school tracksuit uniform. Fair enough a lot of schools have been doing that since the 90s.

Boom: in come the calls and texts - No tracksuits for kids, keep the ties and shirts. Concerned mammy's vs ''hoodies''

These people responsible for raising childers really think that clothes will turn their kids into scobers/skangers?

Absolutely sickening imo.

I once worked in an office of a big company, they opened a committee to discuss liberating the dress code.

Numerous women signed up to the committee and blocked a move to make ties non-compulsory.

Why? It's absolute madness.

If I had my way any woman over 40 wouldn't bare their legs, do I have the right to make that decision? No. Nor should I tbf.

Shaking with the rage here so I am.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Leftist wrote: »
    ...If I had my way any woman over 40 wouldn't bare their legs, do I have the right to make that decision? No. Nor should I tbf.

Sharia Law here we come!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Maybe the mothers are concerned how others see their children??

Honestly theres nothing stranger than mothers.....they are nuts at the best of times

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

O

If I had my way any woman over 40 wouldn't bare their legs, do I have the right to make that decision? No. Nor should I tbf.

Why? Plenty of hot women over forty :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

Numerous women signed up to the committee and blocked a move to make ties non-compulsory.

Why?

They were all reading "50 Shades of Grey"?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Dress code is a load of shoite. I think the kids look smart in the school track suit. It's not like they are in an Adidas trackie and have white socks tucked into their reebok classics.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

phil1nj wrote: »
    They were all reading "50 Shades of Grey"?

Can we please stop mentioning that ridiculous book?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I thought schools had school tracksuits for the days when the kids were doing sports. They don't let them wear them every day.

Is that not it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I think children should wear school uniforms & I certainly wouldn't send my kids to a school where the children dressed in tracksuits.

Insurgent wrote: »
    Why? Plenty of hot women over forty :confused:

A lot worldwide maybe but mostly it's not appealing watching some over 40s lumpy shins and cankles.

that's just my opinion, I wouldn't suggest they play by my rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Xworks jeans, hoodies and school branded bandanas FTW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I think the uniform should be kept in place to be honest.
    I know when I was in school I hated the uniform and thought it was pointless. But now when I look back it makes sense really. It keeps everybody equal in terms of clothes, nobody has to change their clothes every few days, or worry about what they have to wear :rolleyes:.
    Also what if somebody is from a family low on money, that cant afford for their child to have a different set of new clothes every second day for him? this could cause social problems amongst other kids, bullying etc.

It just separates kids more and of course you would have people wearing ridiculous outfits too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Oh hi. I was just listening to newstalk there so I was and they were talking about the expenses related to children's school uniforms.

The presenter remarked that his children's school allow them to wear a school tracksuit uniform. Fair enough a lot of schools have been doing that since the 90s.

Boom: in come the calls and texts - No tracksuits for kids, keep the ties and shirts. Concerned mammy's vs ''hoodies''

These people responsible for raising childers really think that clothes will turn their kids into scobers/skangers?

Absolutely sickening imo.

I once worked in an office of a big company, they opened a committee to discuss liberating the dress code.

Why? It's absolute madness.

We should make girls in their twenties spread their legs.

Fanny in the workplace is the way of the future

I think children should wear school uniforms & I certainly wouldn't send my kids to a school where the children dressed in tracksuits.
    are you on a windup?

we're talking about these kind of trackies yeah?

http://www.lynchschooluniforms.com/prd_img/320_1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

A lot worldwide maybe but mostly it's not appealing watching some over 40s lumpy shins and cankles.

that's just my opinion, I wouldn't suggest they play by my rules.

Haha Im 20 and trust me, the average Irish 40 year old would look hotter than me in a skirt!

Age does not equal hotness!

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Can we please stop mentioning that ridiculous book?

I can only speak for myself and promise never to again. Tell me, do you like Gladiator movies?

cocoshovel wrote: »
    I think the uniform should be kept in place to be honest.
    I know when I was in school I hated the uniform and thought it was pointless. But now when I look back it makes sense really. It keeps everybody equal in terms of clothes, nobody has to change their clothes every few days, or worry about what they have to wear :rolleyes:.
    Also what if somebody is from a family low on money, that cant afford for their child to have a different set of new clothes every second day for him? this could cause social problems amongst other kids, bullying etc.

It just separates kids more and of course you would have people wearing ridiculous outfits too.

The uniform is probably right, but why shirt and tie uniform?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Anybody else think the "Oh hi" at the start of the OP makes it sound like some kinda public service ad or cheesy work video?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement