Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should school uniforms be abolished ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Leftist wrote: »
    so we're agreed then? you raise your kids as materialistic snobs and don't try to impose your rules on anyone else.

Job done.

While I agree that people should live & let live, I take exception to your belief that I'm a snob.

I never look down on other people over the manner in which they choose to dress. An real example of snobbery would be choosing to judge a 40 year old woman in a negative light simply because they choose to wear a short skirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭batistuta9

While I agree that people should live & let live, I take exception to your belief that I'm a snob.

I never look down on other people over the manner in which they choose to dress. An real example of snobbery would be choosing to judge a 40 year old woman in a negative light simply because they choose to wear a short skirt.

you said you wouldn't send your kids to a school where the kids dressed in tracksuits, is that not looking down on people because of how they dress?

tracksuit snobbery is ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

An real example of snobbery would be choosing to judge a 40 year old woman in a negative light simply because they choose to wear a short skirt.

Phwoarrrrrrrr!!! She'd get it :pac:

batistuta9 wrote: »
    you said you wouldn't send your kids to a school where the kids dressed in tracksuits, is that not looking down on people because of how they dress?

tracksuit snobbery is ridiculous

I would prefer to send my kid to a school with a smart dress code as I believe that my children should be brought up in a certain way.

If others disagree with that, then that's entirely their choice but I would never look down on someone simply because they have a different opinion from mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

nope. It's not snobbery, it's unsightly.

Would you like it you worked with male colleagues in their 40s/50s who wore shorts or no tops?

Like I say, let women wear their skirts, unfortunetly it's rarely the young women that wear them to work though.

• Advertisement

I would prefer to send my kid to a school with a smart dress code as I believe that my children should be brought up in a certain way.

If others disagree with that, then that's entirely their choice but I would never look down on someone simply because they have a different opinion from mine.

what if your kid's school decided, based on a referendum amongst children's parents, that it would be best to cease blazer/tie/shirt/slacks and bring in generic school tracksuits.

Would you remove your kids from said school?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Just like wearing a tracksuit to school then!!!

Just like wearing a tracksuit to school then!!!

the only reason that would be unsightly to see a child in a tracksuit would be if you were a materialistic snob.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Does it really matter? In most secondary schools girls are forced to wear skirts, not an option for me and I am sure others due to a medical issue, you can't wear jewellery, girls can't dye their hair, the same goes for boys, they can't have their hair long, and as another poster said they have to be clean shaven. Im sorry but I really don't understand what any of this has to do with anybodies education.

In my plain clothes school as long as we were clean and tidy the staff had no issues with it, obviously we had to be somewhat presentable, no inappropriately revealing outfits etc.

This.
    I never had to wear a uniform in my life, and I dread the day others will force me to shove my kid into one... :(

Would you like it you worked with male colleagues in their 40s/50s who wore shorts or no tops?

Like I say, let women wear their skirts, unfortunetly it's rarely the young women that wear them to work though.

I run my own business & have a strict dress code for my employees.

I also believe that schools should have strict dress codes which exclude tracksuits.

I'm not the one who one one hand started a thread questioning the legitimacy of the existence of dress codes while on the other hand stating that people over 40 shouldn't be allowed to show certain parts of their bodies in the workplace.

It seems to me that you are trying to have your cake & eat it.

• Advertisement

the only reason that would be unsightly to see a child in a tracksuit would be if you were a materialistic snob.

Only in your opinion. I happen to think we should encourage our children to dress well and to look after their appearance. Being well turned out and knowing how to maintain a uniform is a life skill. It can't do anything for a child's pride to wear a tracksuit to school every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

I feel sorry for the dog.

Don't. He's a proper c*nt at the back of it.

Nobody should have the right to tell any man to wear a tie, especially a woman.

and that's not intended as sexist, it's just that they don't have to wear ties so why should they tell someone else to do so?

You really have quite a range of issues, don't you OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

"...if other people want to dress their kids in ill fitting, cheap & shoddy clothes with elasticated waistbands..."

That's called being a snob...

what if your kid's school decided, based on a referendum amongst children's parents, that it would be best to cease blazer/tie/shirt/slacks and bring in generic school tracksuits.

Would you remove your kids from said school?

Yes. I would rather my children not go to school at all than wear one of those tracksuits like you posted earlier.

The time to stop wearing clothes that resemble baby-grows is when the baby has grown into a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Elliejo

One of our local primary schools gave the boys the option of wearing the school tracksuit instead of the formal uniform. The problem with it is that children will usually change out of a formal uniform after school, but will wear a tracksuit all evening. The hygiene problem became apparent rather quickly. After a couple of years, the formal uniform once again became compulsary for the boys starting in the school. Tracksuit is worn on PE days.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Stuff like this happens because many sections of irish society are judgemental, insecure, snobish and deeply conservative.

And reek of pish too

BizzyC wrote: »
    That's called being a snob...

No - it's called having an opinion.

Being a snob is when you choose to look down on others because they don't share your opinion.

Elliejo wrote: »
    One of our local primary schools gave the boys the option of wearing the school tracksuit instead of the formal uniform. The problem with it is that children will usually change out of a formal uniform after school, but will wear a tracksuit all evening. The hygiene problem became apparent rather quickly. After a couple of years, the formal uniform once again became compulsary for the boys starting in the school. Tracksuit is worn on PE days.

Hadn't thought of that.
    Very good case for the non-tracksuit arguement.

No - it's called having an opinion.

Being a snob is when you choose to look down on others because they don't share your opinion.

You're looking down on what others choose to dress their kids in.

Having your own opinion is fine, but to deride the choice of someone else is being snobby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I'd rather send my kids to a school with no uniform, my primary school didn't have a uniform and I don't remember anyone getting bullied for their clothes. The principal used to say how nice and cheerful it looked seeing everyone wearing bright colours and not drab grey or navy. I resented having to wear a uniform in secondary school for the first year or so, then I began to appreciate it as it meant I had to put no thought into what to wear and didn't have to worry if certain clothes were in the laundry and I couldn't wear X top with Y skirt. I actually missed my uniform starting college because I had to think about what to wear. Now in later years in college we have a dress code which takes the effort out of putting an outfit together as I have a set number of dress/jacket/tights combinations I just rotate.

Bambi wrote: »
    Stuff like this happens because many sections of irish society are judgemental, insecure, snobish and deeply conservative.

correct.

Yes. I would rather my children not go to school at all than wear one of those tracksuits like you posted earlier.

Wow. Now that is objectionable parenting.
    What is worse, tracksuits or denying a child education and encouraging a sense of respect for peers and equality?

You really have quite a range of issues, don't you OP?
    You are completely missing the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Diapason

Piste wrote: »
    Now in later years in college we have a dress code

Clown college?

I'd be anti-tracksuit myself. I'm a roaring snob.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭curiousb

I also believe that schools should have strict dress codes which exclude tracksuits.

Can I ask if you have children in school?

I think even the 'poshest' of schools will have a school tracksuit as it is essential for all sporting activities.

In my daughters school, they are allowed wear their tracksuit to school if they have PE that day or if they have sports related after-school activities, none of which could be done in a school uniform.

BizzyC wrote: »
    You're looking down on what others choose to dress their kids in.

Having your own opinion is fine, but to deride the choice of someone else is being snobby.

You're projecting here - I haven't derided anyone.

In fact, I have stated several times that people are perfectly entitled to dress themselves & their children in whatever manner they so choose and that I have absolutely no problem whatsover with that.

In fact, I have stated several times that people are perfectly entitled to dress themselves & their children in whatever manner they so choose and that I have absolutely no problem whatsover with that.

oh?
    I also believe that schools should have strict dress codes which exclude tracksuits

curiousb wrote: »
    Can I ask if you have children in school?

You can ask, but I think the question is entirely irrelevant.

What is worse, tracksuits or denying a child education and encouraging a sense of respect for peers and equality?

Respect for peers and equality are noble things, but I fail to see how wearing a tracksuit instills any of those values into a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭donegal_man

The one thing I would abolish is the school tie, either that or teach youngsters to tie it properly.

You said that they're entitled to dres their kids and themselves in "ill fitting, cheap & shoddy clothes".
    The level of non-snobbery you're exuding there is astounding...

The fact that you're accusing them of wearing "ill fitting, cheap & shoddy clothes" that makes you a snob.

I wouldn't go around wearing a tracksuit myself because of the negative appearence I believe they give off when it's a grown man doing it.
    That's me being snobby....if you're going to be snobby at least accept it.

• Advertisement

Respect for peers and equality are noble things, but I fail to see how wearing a tracksuit instills any of those values into a child.

I know plenty of uniform schools that demonstrate the opposite of these qualities.
    Clothes don't instill anything in a person, it's the people around kids that do.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement