Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should school uniforms be abolished ?

Options
  • 06-09-2011 6:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

School uniforms are very expensive, Most secondary schools these days require crested jumpers that are €60 each, Skirts that are €50 each, This is huge burden on parents. Ireland must only have school uniforms because the uk have them, No country in mainland europe has school uniforms.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

NO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

NO because there would be to much competition on who was wearing what everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

If we get rid of the school uniforms i imagine my interest in teenage girls will drop.

So ..... no!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,429 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

imagine the burden on parents when Johnny comes home looking for expensive gear because everyone has a tommy shirt on. Fair enough you say no but then he is isolated and suddenly we are like USA.

School is for learning, growing up and being equal as much as possible. Weekends is for the fashion parades

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

No they should be mandatory. Cheaper to buy a uniform once every two years than try and keep your kid in fashion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Iomib wrote: »
    School uniforms are very expensive, Most secondary schools these days require crested jumpers that are €60 each, Skirts that are €50 each, This is huge burden on parents. Ireland must only have school uniforms because the uk have them, No country in mainland europe has school uniforms.

€110 , you think thats bad. Wait till they're looking for €110 every month to compete in the fashion wars that will go on if uniforms are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

No,

You think kids would happily let their parents dress them in cheaper clothes??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

Yes, uniforms have absolutely nothing to do with education whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

No they should do away with crests so families can start buying a cheap blue (or whatever colour the uniform is) jumper in Tescos and not be forcing them to buy an expensive one in the local store with the exclusivity agreement on the uniform. Which defeats the initial reason for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

Absolutely not. They should all be standardised with crests available to buy from the schools for a few euro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

My kids attend a uniformed school. i agreed to this when I applied for their positions at the school. My gripe is that this year the school have introduced a new crested tracksuit pants. They cost €45!!I think uniforms are a great idea. It cuts down on competition and could(should) save parents a few quid, what with teenagers looking for Hollister and all the other pricey brands. It ought to be acceptable at the moment, considering the financial stress put on people, that kids can wear a generic uniform. Navy jumper,navy trousers, blue shirt etc basic but still in keeping with the idea. I had already bought regular tracksuit pants for the first term. They are plain navy and cost €12.A month later I got the letter in the post informing parents of the new compulsory crested pants. Times are tough,money is not going as far as it did and uniforms are very expensive. The idea is great but the schools need to give a little leeway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭teol

Crested school uniforms should be abolished.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

I'm in favour of no uniforms. If the parents are dirt poor, tell the kids to become hipsters. They can maintain an air of superiority while wearing rags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

Times are tough,money is not going as far as it did and uniforms are very expensive. The idea is great but the schools need to give a little leeway.

Because the Headmaster/Teachers/School are likely getting a kickback from the supplier. Its the same when schoolbooks are changed, Fianna Fail got massive kickbacks from Folens and Gill & MacMillan based on 'adjustments' to the curriculum. It was all one massive scam, and parents paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Yes, uniforms have absolutely nothing to do with education whatsoever.

Yes they do, they teach kids that they are not individual or special, they are lemmings who are to do what they are told and to follow the crowd because standing out in anyway whatsoever is bad.

But no, uniforms should be kept but they should not be allowed to cost so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

My kids attend a uniformed school. i agreed to this when I applied for their positions at the school. My gripe is that this year the school have introduced a new crested tracksuit pants. They cost €45!!I think uniforms are a great idea. It cuts down on competition and could(should) save parents a few quid, what with teenagers looking for Hollister and all the other pricey brands. It ought to be acceptable at the moment, considering the financial stress put on people, that kids can wear a generic uniform. Navy jumper,navy trousers, blue shirt etc basic but still in keeping with the idea. I had already bought regular tracksuit pants for the first term. They are plain navy and cost €12.A month later I got the letter in the post informing parents of the new compulsory crested pants. Times are tough,money is not going as far as it did and uniforms are very expensive. The idea is great but the schools need to give a little leeway.

I hope the parents got together and gave the school management a rollicking over that. Pure narcissism and tiger period crap still going strong (and no doubt, a nice earner for the school's supplier)

dermo88 wrote: »
    Times are tough,money is not going as far as it did and uniforms are very expensive. The idea is great but the schools need to give a little leeway.

Because the Headmaster/Teachers/School are likely getting a kickback from the supplier. Its the same when schoolbooks are changed, Fianna Fail got massive kickbacks from Folens and Gill & MacMillan based on 'adjustments' to the curriculum. It was all one massive scam, and parents paid.

Give me a break, we get nothing from the uniform manufacturers except grief when we change things

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

I don't think it's a major issue but then again I don't think we'd be worse off without school uniforms. My secondary school didn't have a uniform and there wasn't any competition to have the latest tommy hil****er etc etc. We just wore whatever. It was nice to be able to choose what to wear though, made you feel like you were being treated like a reasonable adult.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I went to a non-uniform school and honestly nobody ever cared what anyone else wore. It's a lame excuse as far as I'm concerned. Surely the kids wear regular clothes at home anyway? Much cheaper. I'm sure they'll be nagging you for trendy clothes either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Too expensive and too much hassle to wear normal clothes all the time, especially when kids are growing.
    When they're older, there's that issue with labels and styles etc..

So, no I am not in favour of abolishing uniforms at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

No, they shouldn't be abolished but they should be generic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

No but kids should be able to wear generic uniforms and not ones with crests and the like. Or the school provides the crest and you can sew it on yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Surely the kids wear regular clothes at home anyway? Much cheaper. I'm sure they'll be nagging you for trendy clothes either way.

Yes, but if worn to school they would need way more clothes.
    They'd be ruined in the yard and pe etc...
    As well as just normal wear and tear.
    Clothes for growing kids cost a fortune anyway - no parent needs the extra financial burden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

No they should be kept,would drive a divide between the families who have and those who have not the money to buy new clothes.

But if was scrapped,it would probably work out in fave of scoobs a chance to wear their tracksuits.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

I agree that somehow the school must be getting some money from the sale of the uniforms. As far as I can see all the other kids in my youngests class have the new crested bottoms. I didn't get them,being stubborn. Youngest doesn't mind either way. Only problem is that the school dishes out 'points' for infractions of the school rules,including not wearing the correct uniform. So tomorrow is the first day to wear p.e gear,so I am heading in to the school to say my piece. I hope to passively get through to the head how they are piling more pressure on already overstretched parents. The kids have school jackets which may as well be tissues, they are worthless against Irish weather and they are quite pricey too. It's all getting a bit much to be honest,I wouldn't mind too much but the uniforms are not of great quality anyway. What is the need of a skirt with one box pleat?Ridiculous,surely a plain navy skirt from chain shop would suffice? Box pleat my left eyeball.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭MGMTea

As much as I hate my uniform they shouldn't be abolished, too much hassle getting other clothes tbh..

we just wear normal clothes for PE so it's grand yeno !

the only reason why we have certain jumpers etc is because some students like to buy clothes that are away too small for themselves such as tigh jumpers etc. You would be shocked at how many loopholes they find, especially girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭stimpson

I went to a uniformed and non uniformed secondary school. I much prefered the non uniformed one. I do accept there will be fashion issues. Blue or black jeans and a white shirt. Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

No but you should be able to buy your jumper wherever you want and iron or sew on the crest.
    I'd do away with school jackets though, sure you're not allowed wear them in school anyway. (Well we weren't anyway)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭FinnLizzy

There seems to be an attitude here that if you allow teens to wear what they want, they'll automatically turn into pretentious tw@ts who care only for brands.

Designer clothes too expensive for Saoirse and Eoin? Don't fcuking buy them! Let them LEARN that it doesn't matter! Since they're in school.

Teens with a sense of brand snobbery making fun of your son's basic functioning clothes? Tell him not to hang around with the snobs.

I wen't to a non-uniformed primary school and a uniformed secondary school. At an early age we accepted that people have their own styles.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement