Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should school uniforms be abolished ?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I think we should be doing whatever possible to discourage kids from wearing tracksuits

phil1nj wrote: »
    Tell me, do you like Gladiator movies?

Yes, and all things Roman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Leftist wrote: »
    are you on a windup?

we're talking about these kind of trackies yeah?

http://www.lynchschooluniforms.com/prd_img/320_1.jpg

Jesus Christ - I wouldn't dress my kid in anything that nasty looking even for a joke.

Can't believe that schools allow children to dress so badly these days - that's the school uniform equivalent of Waynetta Slob.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    I think we should be doing whatever possible to discourage kids from wearing tracksuits

this is exactly what I'm talking about.

Why? do you think tracksuits will make a child misbehave?

You know I'm talking about these tracksuits?

they make it much more affordable to parents too. But no, lets go conservative because tracksuits are a stepping stone to joyriding.

Jesus Christ - I wouldn't dress my kid in anything that nasty looking even for a joke.

Can't believe that schools allow children to dress so badly these days - that's the school uniform equivalent of Waynetta Slob.

entitled to warp your own kid's minds with pathetic snobbery but nobody else should ever have to play by your rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Yes, and all things Roman.

Fantastic! At my signal unleash HELL!!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I prefer school uniforms for primary school to be honest.

For schools in rough a4eas, it means there is no competition about whose family can afford nicer (or branded) clothing and it's handier and more economical to know what they have to wear every day.

As I'm over 18 years old, I no longer believe that the mere fact of wearing a school uniform is going to turn a child into an automated, unthinking drone.

That said, it's a rip-off to have to buy special uniforms. Should just be a generic trouser/skirt, tracksuit (for PE) and a polo shirt. No crests, formal shirts or ties and whatnot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

That made me laugh soo hard!!!

But no, lets go conservative because tracksuits are a stepping stone to joyriding.

They may not be a stepping stone to joyriding, but they are a tiny & dangerous step away from wearing fleeces, the most disgusting piece of clotheswear ever to be worn by mankind.

this is exactly what I'm talking about.

Why? do you think tracksuits will make a child misbehave?

You know I'm talking about these tracksuits?

they make it much more affordable to parents too. But no, lets go conservative because tracksuits are a stepping stone to joyriding.

No I just think they're f*cking HORRIBLE looking and I don't give a f*ck how it happened but they are a symbol of slobbery, laziness, and even misbehaviour in Ireland these days. There's no need to get too analytical on it, when people see youngfellas in tracksuits they automatically jump to conclusions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

I do believe in keeping the school uniform. It will help prevent or at least curb bullying based on clothing and appearance since they all have to wear the same stuff.

Also, a child or teenager can have a sense of belonging to a certain school and their peers.
    Also having a shirt and tie looks smart and helps the student get used to wearing a certain thing 5 days a week in prep for the workplace. At least in some cases anyway

You may argue that uniforms, like school textbooks, are a money-making racket. I disagree, seeing as it costs less for a schoolgoer to be wearing the same thing for 9 months of the year than having to constantly worry about buying new gear to keep your wardrobe fresh to save face in front of your peers.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

School was like a prison except no bumming in the showers - unless one of the Brothers took a shine to you which they didn't to me, don't know whether to be insulted or relieved but anyway I'm babbling on here. It was like a prison and in prison you have to wear a uniform, everyone is the same so I think the school uniform should stay tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

They may not be a stepping stone to joyriding, but they are a tiny & dangerous step away from wearing fleeces, the most disgusting piece of clotheswear ever to be worn by mankind.

When I walk my dog (not a euphamism for anything else) I usually wear a tracksuit bottom AND a fleece top? Should I adorn this ensemble with a bell around my neck?

Also having a shirt and tie looks smart and helps the student get used to wearing a certain thing 5 days a week in prep for the workplace. At least in some cases anyway

Maybe get the dumber kids to wear a red hat to ready them for their job in McDonalds :pac:

I joke, I joke, a job's a job in this day and age!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Just to state to that I went to a plain clothes secondary school, I never once heard of an issue that came up there. Not saying that I don't believe in uniforms, just that I think they need to be relaxed at least a little, most don't allow for any personal expression what so ever.

When I walk my dog (not a euphamism for anything else) I usually wear a tracksuit bottom AND a fleece top? Should I adorn this ensemble with a bell around my neck?

Yes and you must shout, "UNCLEAN! UNCLEAN!" also :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

If I had my way any woman over 40 wouldn't bare their legs, do I have the right to make that decision? No. Nor should I tbf.

Have you ever expressed that opinion to a group of women ?

Mr.S wrote: »
    I was in a non uniform school for most of school days, then the last 4 years I was in a uniformed one.

Not one bit of hassle over "clothes" or people worrying about what to wear in the uniform'ed schools..

I went to a primary school with no uniform, also never noticed any stick and I never had brands as a kid.

entitled to warp your own kid's minds with pathetic snobbery but nobody else should ever have to play by your rules.

I'm entitled to bring my children up in whatever way I choose.

You might consider it "snobby" for me not to dress my kid in cheap, ugly tracksuits, but I would consider it good taste.

Yet while I believe in maintaining a certain level of decorum in my own life, if other people want to dress their kids in ill fitting, cheap & shoddy clothes with elasticated waistbands, then that's perfectly fine with me.

I'm not a Nazi. Though I do recognise that the Nazis were usually very well dressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    JNot saying that I don't believe in uniforms, just that I think they need to be relaxed at least a little, most don't allow for any personal expression what so ever.

As opposed to the multifaceted and rich sense of self-expression that accrues from a few hundred people all wearing near-identical variants of the same hipster clothing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Lisandro

I've never liked uniforms, always found them depressing and objected to the idea that I should spend five days a week dressing the way somebody else wants me to. In an office, fair enough, but I always thought that degree of formality was quite unnecessary in a place where you're (hopefully) meant to be learning for life.

And don't get me started on schools that insist you have your hair above your collar or that you should have to be clean shaven. At least give the option to keep one's hair clean and tied back...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

cocoshovel wrote: »
    I think the uniform should be kept in place to be honest.
    I know when I was in school I hated the uniform and thought it was pointless. But now when I look back it makes sense really. It keeps everybody equal in terms of clothes, nobody has to change their clothes every few days, or worry about what they have to wear :rolleyes:.
    Also what if somebody is from a family low on money, that cant afford for their child to have a different set of new clothes every second day for him? this could cause social problems amongst other kids, bullying etc.

It just separates kids more and of course you would have people wearing ridiculous outfits too.

I agree that kids should dress the same way in school, but I think letting kids (Primary school) wear tracksuits instead of a shirt and tie makes sense.
    It's cheaper for parents and it's more comfortable for the kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

kfallon wrote: »
    Maybe get the dumber kids to wear a red hat to ready them for their job in McDonalds :pac:

I joke, I joke, a job's a job in this day and age!

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

I have tears rolling down my cheeks

I feel sorry for the dog.

syndeyfife wrote: »
    I have tears rolling down my cheeks

Ah reminds me of my days as an altar boy......and something else was running down my other cheeks :(

Still I got a 'slug' of wine so every cloud...... :p

mattjack wrote: »
    Have you ever expressed that opinion to a group of women ?

yes, once.

Tbh no, it's a personal opinion. That's my point. I don't want to see some old broad's lumpy legs but I can't stop them doing it. Nobody should have the right to tell any man to wear a tie, especially a woman.

and that's not intended as sexist, it's just that they don't have to wear ties so why should they tell someone else to do so?

I'm entitled to bring my children up in whatever way I choose.

You might consider it "snobby" for me not to dress my kid in cheap, ugly tracksuits, but I would consider it good taste.

Yet while I believe in maintaining a certain level of decorum in my own life, if other people want to dress their kids in ill fitting, cheap & shoddy clothes with elasticated waistbands, then that's perfectly fine with me.

I'm not a Nazi. Though I do recognise that the Nazis were usually very well dressed.

so we're agreed then? you raise your kids as materialistic snobs and don't try to impose your rules on anyone else.

Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

There's nothing wrong with tracksuits, how would you feel if you had to do PE wearing a shirt, tie and trousers? Not the most comfortable thing for a child to wear!

The prejudice against tracksuits is hilarious, they're only clothes, some people will find anything to complain about.

I don't think the school uniform should go, but I do think a lot of schools need to think about re-designing them. All the schools in our area have starched shirts, ties and itchy jumpers, even for the Junior Senior infants. They aren't comfortable at all for little kiddos, my nephew hates his tie.

I think something in between the shirt/pants/tie and the tracksuit would be a perfect compromise. That said I see absolutely nothing wrong with tracksuits either. My boyfriend wears them from time to time and he isn't a slob, lazy, or a knacker. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

stovelid wrote: »
    As opposed to the multifaceted and rich sense of self-expression that accrues from a few hundred people all wearing near-identical variants of the same hipster clothing?

Does it really matter? In most secondary schools girls are forced to wear skirts, not an option for me and I am sure others due to a medical issue, you can't wear jewellery, girls can't dye their hair, the same goes for boys, they can't have their hair long, and as another poster said they have to be clean shaven. Im sorry but I really don't understand what any of this has to do with anybodies education.

In my plain clothes school as long as we were clean and tidy the staff had no issues with it, obviously we had to be somewhat presentable, no inappropriately revealing outfits etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I wore a shirt and tie in primary school and secondary school just required a jumper and polo t-shirt. A lot of the lads that didnt wear a shirt and tie in primary just cant fathom the shirt and tie. They feel awkward in them and would avoid at all costs. Whilst myself from Primary School i was just drilled into looking smart and that a shirt and tie is the norm. I really missed wearing a tie in secondary school.

I think its good for the kids characters to be drilled into looking as smart as they can.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement