Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should school uniforms be abolished ?

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Re dealing with Ads etc;Ireland is welded and wedded and bedded with the media .Impossible .

• Registered Users Posts: 20 supernature

School uniforms are big business for a lot of people including the schools themselves.

No evidence to show they improve grades or behaviour.

Poor kids look poor rich kids look rich whatever you put them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,256 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

paddyandy wrote: »
    You used latrine language at me first a few posts back if you'd care to look .

I believe I said "you pulled the idea out of yoru arse", which, while it may have caused offense, pretty much implied that you made up an idea and tried to pass it off as fact.

Anyway, enough dodging of the issue, if you want to go on like this you go on alone. If your next post does not address the issue with some sort of backup I'm not going to respond to it.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I dont think uniforms improve grades or necessarily improve behaviour. What does improve behaviour and grades imo is a happy child. I havent got strong feelings on the uniform issue but I think whatever makes the child happy should be paramount. The best thing would be for the children to be asked wheter they want to wear one or not.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Are schools not supposed to teach the syllabus? Is the modern trend to know how to make a castle out of play dough but not know how to calculate the value of a 15% discount?
    The key words here are "narrow" and "teach to" ie drill, drill drill,rote learning without understanding.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Don't under-estimate the value of the uniform on trips either. My first ever school tour, two of us, fresh out of college took 70, yes 70, junior infants to the zoo. I still wake at nights trying to count them all.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Don't under-estimate the value of the uniform on trips either. My first ever school tour, two of us, fresh out of college took 70, yes 70, junior infants to the zoo. I still wake at nights trying to count them all.:D

Fair play! That would be one of my worst nightmares!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,256 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Why not use hi-viz vests? They do that over here and you can see the little devils a mile away. Much cheaper too, I would have thought (school buys them then and what ever class needs them uses them).

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

School uniforms are big business for a lot of people including the schools themselves.

How do you mean business for the school?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

The key words here are "narrow" and "teach to" ie drill, drill drill,rote learning without understanding.

So it is better not to learn at all in case they wouldn't understand?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement