Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should school uniforms be abolished ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

Yes, I think so. People always bring up the old 'kids would get teased because of their clothes' argument, but kids get teased anyway. If it's not clothes, it's shoes or bags or whatever. Anyone I know who went to a non-uniform school said that there was no competition about outfits because people stopped caring after the first week. My blazer alone cost about £120, then we needed a specific brand of skirt, blouse and jumper, so that ended up costing about £300 a year, if we didn't grow during the year. Kids need clothes for outside school anyway, so I don't see how it would work out much more expensive to wear them in school as well. You can get nice/fashionable clothes in Penneys and H&M really cheaply. And you could choose comfortable clothes. All I remember about my uniform was that I was freezing in winter (we had to wear a skirt), uncomfortable in exams because my uniform was always getting too tight by the summer and the waistband had no elastic and just generally felt horrible in it because it looked awful. I wish I'd been able to wear jeans and a hoodie every day like my American cousins.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭FinnLizzy

Seriously! The amount of people on this thread that seem to think that choosing what to wear in the morning is such an abnormally impossible task, that they advocate abolishing the free will to wear what they want!

Sometimes I find it hard to choose what to cook some days, so I get my mum to feed me a bland, grey nutritious paste. It's great because I don't have to make that impossible choice of what to eat. All my friends are forced to do the same so I won't have to envy my friend Liam, who would normally have Pizza, while my family would eat bacon and cabbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,238 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

FinnLizzy wrote: »
    Seriously! The amount of people on this thread that seem to think that choosing what to wear in the morning is such an abnormally impossible task, that they advocate abolishing the free will to wear what they want!

It's funny... you propose obligatory nudity to counteract this, and suddenly everyone wants choice again.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

FinnLizzy wrote: »
    Have you never woken up in a crappy mood, feeling a bit ugly, looked into your wardrobe and said "Ugh I hate everything I own"? most teenage girls (and a few boys too I'd say) has gone through a phase of hating themselves.

I liked my school uniform because I never had one of those awful mornings.

Abolishing free will? Drama queen much? I expressed myself with my accessories.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Nic Neptune

No because it would only incite more bullying.

• Advertisement

phasers wrote: »
    Have you never woken up in a crappy mood, feeling a bit ugly, looked into your wardrobe and said "Ugh I hate everything I own"? most teenage girls (and a few boys too I'd say) has gone through a phase of hating themselves.

When I feel like that, I throw on some basic blue jeans or black cotton pants, a T-shirt and a grey jumper or a hoodie. Done. Still looks miles better and is much more comfortable than most uniforms.

Only on Saturdays. Those were the days I spent 14 hours trying to work out what to wear. I still have them. Every time there's no one to tell me what not to wear. Perhaps uniform should be mandatory 24/7?

No, because I'd wear Dunnes jeans, a generic zippy (black) and a Thin Lizzy t-shirt. If I'm feeling mad, a pair of uban camo trousers. Comfortable, cheap, stylish and enough pockets.

My uniform was a blue itchy jumper that would give you a rash if you wore it with a short sleeve shirt. The pockets in our grey slacks could barely hold my phone.

And I don't care about your inability to make conscious decisions, or the social torture of having a vagina.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭DevilsBreath

No

They lessen the gap between rich and poor.
    I understand the kids don't want to ware uniforms but when you get older you understand what a difference they made in unifying the kids of different classes.
    School uniforms are cheap compared to replacing stuff ever month or so.

No

They lessen the gap between rich and poor.
    I understand the kids don't want to ware uniforms but when you get older you understand what a difference they made in unifying the kids of different classes.
    School uniforms are cheap compared to replacing stuff ever month or so.

If you're replacing stuff every month, you should be more worried about what kind of spoiled brat you're bringing up. A shop every September before school starts should sort out almost everything, with perhaps a few bits and pieces bought for Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭CallMeFlo

No way!! :eek:

Uniforms are there for plenty of reasons. To stop bullying would be the main one though. It's just easier to have them and they actually cost less in the long run :)

Plus I'm starting college and I wish they had uniforms!! Freaking out about getting new clothes and shoes and such like :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

hondasam wrote: »
    I'm sure they do but what has that got to do with wearing a uniform at school.

Well unless everytime they meet outside of school theyre bollick naked :eek:
    I understand the kids don't want to ware uniforms but when you get older you understand what a difference they made.

:rolleyes:

Do you think everyone on this thread is still in school ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

CallMeFlo wrote: »

Uniforms are there for plenty of reasons. To stop bullying would be the main one though. It's just easier to have them and they actually cost less in the long run :)

Plus I'm starting college and I wish they had uniforms!! Freaking out about getting new clothes and shoes and such like :p

Exactly why secondary should be uniform free. Teens need to grow up learning to deal with different styles and to be able to take criticism of what they wear. If you hadnt a uniform in school i doubt you would be nervous.

I am starting college too and i have to say its a problem for me because over the last couple years i havent really put any effort into clothes because besides nights out i never really needed to dress well because i was in uniform all day. I think i need to lose some weight though before i start investing in decent clothes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Definitely not. Lol at the "They're oppressive" stuff...

Dudess wrote: »
    Lol at the "They're oppressive" stuff...

In fairness I missed that post.

Granted its a bit late and no doubt someone will take great delight in pointing it out but its hardly the majority on the this side of the debate making such a contention.

Its not oppressive just a damn nuisance (and an expensive one at that)

LOL though at the claims that it reduces bullying though. Given that the majority of primary schools and virtually every secondary school in the country have always had them what exactly is this based on other than unfounded belief ?

But how could four (maximum) shirts, two jumpers, two skirts/four (maximum) pairs of trousers, a few pairs of socks/tights, a tie... for an entire school year - and possibly into the next year(s) - be more expensive than casual clothes? :confused:

Teutorix wrote: »
    Exactly why secondary should be uniform free. Teens need to grow up learning to deal with different styles and to be able to take criticism of what they wear. If you hadnt a uniform in school i doubt you would be nervous.

I am starting college too and i have to say its a problem for me because over the last couple years i havent really put any effort into clothes because besides nights out i never really needed to dress well because i was in uniform all day. I think i need to lose some weight though before i start investing in decent clothes.

Awh yeah I know what you mean but I still think uniforms are a good idea, I mean I'm nervous and everything but once I'm settled I won't care anymore :). I think there is a huge difference between college and school, in college were not going to get bullied for what clothes we wear because everyone's kind of grown out of it but in school it's different. Even if in fifth and sixth year when they're more mature they could wear no uniform but in first to third I think they should keep it that way because students can very pass-remarkable at that age you know? :)

Awh yeah I know what you mean but I still think uniforms are a good idea, I mean I'm nervous and everything but once I'm settled I won't care anymore :). I think there is a huge difference between college and school, in college were not going to get bullied for what clothes we wear because everyone's kind of grown out of it but in school it's different. Even if in fifth and sixth year when they're more mature they could wear no uniform but in first to third I think they should keep it that way because students can very pass-remarkable at that age you know? :)

Yeah, that makes sense, i would like to see the senior cycle students not have uniforms. Maybe have a dress code enforced instead to prevent people wearing mini-skirts and hot pants and the like :pac:

But how could four (maximum) shirts, two jumpers, two skirts/four (maximum) pairs of trousers, a few pairs of socks/tights, a tie... for an entire school year - and possibly into the next year(s) - be more expensive than casual clothes? :confused:

If it all has to be a certain brand and a blazer is required, you're easily looking at a few hundred pounds on top of the casual clothes any teenager needs for weekends/evenings. There's no way anyone needs a few hundred pounds to buy an extra few pairs of jeans, tops and jumpers to top up the wardrobe for weekdays.

Youre asking me how could......

four (maximum) shirts, two jumpers, two skirts/four (maximum) pairs of trousers, a few pairs of socks/tights, a tie... for an entire school year - and possibly into the next year(s) PLUS the non-uniform four (maximum) shirts, two jumpers, two skirts/four (maximum) pairs of trousers one changes into when they get home/at weekends/holidays etc

Could be more expensive than.......

non-uniform four (maximum) shirts, two jumpers, two skirts/four (maximum) pairs of trousers ?

Ill leave the maths to you.

• Advertisement

Depends on the school I guess. In my own case, I went to a state school and it wasn't expensive at all - personally I preferred the lack of hassle of having a uniform.

Teutorix wrote: »
    Yeah, that makes sense, i would like to see the senior cycle students not have uniforms. Maybe have a dress code enforced instead to prevent people wearing mini-skirts and hot pants and the like :pac:

Agreed! :)

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Youre asking me how could......

four (maximum) shirts, two jumpers, two skirts/four (maximum) pairs of trousers, a few pairs of socks/tights, a tie... for an entire school year - and possibly into the next year(s) PLUS the non-uniform four (maximum) shirts, two jumpers, two skirts/four (maximum) pairs of trousers one changes into when they get home/at weekends/holidays etc

Could be more expensive than.......

non-uniform four (maximum) shirts, two jumpers, two skirts/four (maximum) pairs of trousers ?

Ill leave the maths to you.
    I don't know whether it's realistic to think that those are the only clothes a kid would have for an entire school year - possibly longer - if they didn't have a school uniform.
    My school uniform pieces, apart from tights, lasted me years.

It makes sense to me too that kids who can't afford stylish and abundant clothing are more likely to be targetted by bullies - why wouldn't they be?

I don't know whether it's realistic to think that those are the only clothes a kid would have for an entire school year - possibly longer - if they didn't have a school uniform.

It makes sense to me too that kids who can't afford stylish and abundant clothing are more likely to be targetted by bullies - why wouldn't they be?

I have never witnessed bullying due to fashion, ive seen it due to something as small as reading books, but never because of clothes.

Why not? Most non-uniform schools aren't fashion parades. You can easily see the difference between rich and poor kids anyway. If they're going to be picked on for being poor, their shoes/bags/hair/phone are all easy targets.

Funny that sounds like the kind of argument one hears on "gay adoption" threads

Bullies will always find some "reason" to target an individual even in an environment of homogeneous clothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Drrty.

SO perhaps you need someone to tell you what to wear for the rest of your life...?

Seriously, if he have an education system that results in people being unable to choose clothes in the morning, something is vey ****ing wrong. That or some people have no business doing the leaving cert in the frist place, let alone going to cllege.

Apparently, there are a few cartels doing the rounds.

I said ages ago and I'm saying it now; common sense and a brand-free dress code helps everyone.

(P.S. - where you been? Welcome back!)

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    SO perhaps you need someone to tell you what to wear for the rest of your life...?

Seriously, if he have an education system that results in people being unable to choose clothes in the morning, something is vey ****ing wrong. That or some people have no business doing the leaving cert in the frist place, let alone going to cllege.

Are you serious right now? :p Did you really read my post and believe that when I said I wish college had uniforms that I meant it? I was just expressing how nervous I was about starting college and getting new clothes and that. To say that I have no business going to college over that is just ridiculous but thanks anyways :D

• Advertisement

Well I don't know about you, but everyone I knew in secondary school changed out of their uniforms the second they got home. Did you ever go to a school without uniform? I had the benefit of seeing both perspectives.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement