Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bray airshow 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Plane Jane

Weather looks good for Sun!!

Nice new website

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭lisatiffany

Now ............. thats a real air show !!!............. its the ONLY air show in Ireland this year. What happens in Bray is a small air display.. a megga difference !!!
    Mark those dates in ur calender............. treat ur boyfriend to a weekend away and stay overnight sat night. So much to do in north antrim............ Giants Causeway, Bushmills distillery and plenty more !!!
    Now Captain Pardy should take a trip up there and learn what a real air show is !!

My boyfriend is from up north but has never been to Portrush, we are both considering possibly going up for the weekend. I really want to see the causeway too, been meaning to photograph it for quite some time. Is it awkward for getting a good spot to view/photograph the show?

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭westdub

As the town of Portrush is in a bay the displays by any jets or RAF aircraft are best shot from one of the headlands either side of the town as the display line is fairly far out, However some of the smaller and slower aircraft do get in close to the town and some shows have gliders or small aircraft landing on the beach, but for the best shots stay away from the beach area..
    The tennis courts on the east side of the town are also usually used as the landing pad for any helicopters at the show so I then to stay on that headland...

Hope this helps...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ni_gaz

you guys mentioning Portrush are also forgetting Newcastle in county down ! 11th August as part of the 3rd year of Festival of Flight. This yrs line up so far :
    Hawk

Tucano

BBMF Dakota

Typhoon

Aerostars

Hunter "Miss Demeanour"

ICG Sikorsky

PR Spitfire Mk11

A109

The Air Corps has displayed here last 2 yrs so maybe a showup from them too. Only in its 3rd year and chasing Portrush's tail !

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭airbusa320

That looks like a good line up. Does anyone have any details on this show or have been before. I think I may head up to this one.
    On the Bray front 4 pc-9,s are due in Bray around 4 today for a practice run according to the facebook page.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

ni_gaz wrote: »
    you guys mentioning Portrush are also forgetting Newcastle in county down ! 11th August as part of the 3rd year of Festival of Flight. This yrs line up so far......

......The Air Corps has displayed here last 2 yrs so maybe a showup from them too. Only in its 3rd year and chasing Portrush's tail !
    So this further shows up Bray to be on a downward glide slope
    airbusa320 wrote: »
    That looks like a good line up. Does anyone have any details on this show or have been before. I think I may head up to this one.
    On the Bray front 4 pc-9,s are due in Bray around 4 today for a practice run according to the facebook page.

Had them overhead a little while ago

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Duffer2010

PC 9's-most likely they'll be miles out to sea, perform a couple of wingovers and then carry out a formation break-whoh!!!!!!!!!
    If the Hawker Hunter isn't coming what is the saved money being spent on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ni_gaz

airbusa320 wrote: »
    That looks like a good line up. Does anyone have any details on this show or have been before.

not the best details but we never expect much from the local council info wise ! :phttp://www.downdc.gov.uk/Leisure---Culture/Festivals.aspx

one advantage Newcastle has over Portrush is the bay is long and sweeping not closed in like east strand at portrush so loads of viewing places.One disadvantage this year is that low tide is at 1pm so that could force the acts a fair bit out.Lots of other aviation related side "shows" on all week in the town too. 100,000 people there last year but traffic was pretty well managed.Red Arrows not able to be here this year due to other commitment abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

Duffer2010 wrote: »
    PC 9's-most likely they'll be miles out to sea, perform a couple of wingovers and then carry out a formation break-whoh!!!!!!!!!
    If the Hawker Hunter isn't coming what is the saved money being spent on?

The organiser probably took his cut for setting it up..

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Duffer2010

On a positive note, did anyone see the three ship formation yesterday afternoon around 15.30? Two chipmunks in IAC colours and another aircraft not sure of type, looked like it was there as a camera ship. They flew out of Weston, to where I seen the two Chipmunks parked outside the hangar, beautiful little aircraft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭westdub

A lovely cloudy and dull day for a dull show.....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,015 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I certainly would not dis a free show (If I was in Dublin this weekend rather than last, I would have went to it)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

westdub wrote: »

Fine day for it? Sunny and 22c here in south Dublin (not sure what it's like in Bray, but should be sunny in the lee of the Dublin/Wicklow Mountains).

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Bykovo Chernoye Monino

Some boats are sitting right in centre of display area

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Bykovo Chernoye Monino

Rhyll Air Show, Wales just had a Mildenhall based KC-135 display, down to 300'. It was being picked up on SBS Radar boxes on Irish east coast & some thought it might continue on to Bray. Now that would have been very nice.

Bykovo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I have always wondered why the organisers cant invite the RAF to cross the sixty miles or so from RAF Valley and give us some serious ground shaking - Jet powered - attack/bomber hardware! As a teenager we used to holiday in North Wales and we attended the Valley Air Show every few years, I didn't realise it at the time, but we were being spoilt, they had everything at the Valley show from Vulcans, to Hunters, Jaguar GR1s, Harriers, Phantoms, Nimrods, F16s, The Red Arrows, Mock ground attacks, The Red Devil display team, Battle of Britain memorial fly past, biplanes, stunt formations + so much more too . . .

I think the Bray show is fine for Bray, and they do a great job, but it took me a few years to get used to the more sedate nature of this show (compared to Valley or Farnborough) - Again I say "well done to the organisers of the Bray show" its just a shame they don't (can't)? get the RAF across from Valley for an afternoon :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭N64

Just back from the air show now and had a great time. Will be going back next year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

N64 wrote: »
    Just back from the air show now and had a great time. Will be going back next year :D

Yeah first time and it was great. Will defo go again next year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭N64

One thnig I have to bring is a radio so I can tune into the ATC next year :D

I wish the aer lingus jet had the engines on max, it would have been some experince for that to fly above you :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭2011abc

westdub wrote: »

Sun was glorious , terrific atmosphere ,well done to all involved !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

First time at Bray after several times to Farnborough and I actually thought it was good! Missed the A320 - saw it from the Dart just as I arrived into the station which was a pity.

Was surprised how low the ATR72 was on his flybys - here's one short video I took; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgeTlSwXN8s&feature=share

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭lisatiffany

Not a bad day in Bray, I was shocked too see such yummy cupcakes and cookies in the VIP/press area. I've covered countless events around Ireland and Europe but they never had such yummy cupcakes ..and for planes. Well Aer Lingus made for some excellent shots and the Air Corps put on a great show, much like last year and the year before. The blades stayed out too far, which is understandable but even with a long lens I was having trouble getting close enough, my friend with a 500mm even said the same thing. The USAF didn't show up (shame) and no hawker hunter. To be honest it wasn't bad at all, but yeah the cupcakes make up a lot of my joy, 800+ shots to have a look through now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭mockingjay

What time is the fireworks display starting at?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 driveshaft

I noticed several kids' helium balloons being lost up in the air during the show. Was this not quite dangerous, given that these could be struck by an aircraft?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

driveshaft wrote: »
    I noticed several kids' helium balloons being lost up in the air during the show. Was this not quite dangerous, given that these could be struck by an aircraft?

Birds and jet engines don't mix ballons wouldn't be that bad.
    Think I saw Barney and winnie flying alright:)

mockingjay wrote: »
    What time is the fireworks display starting at?
    Bank holiday weekend usually

Was a good show and was delighted to see the buses and trains running better then previous years.

Could see all the kids were delighted with the show adults too:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

A really enjoyable couple of hours with some interesting planes on show and excellent aerobatic performances. The ATR flyby was something else!

I was at south pier of the harbour and I would recommend this spot to any photographers for next year. Got some great shots, but the memory card seized up about half way in - all photos lost :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Damn. Based on the general opinion around here, we convinced our plane-mad 10yo son that it wouldn't be worth driving 2 hours each way to see it. Probably gonna end up driving 5 hours each way to bring him to Portrush in September - on a school weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭xper

bkehoe wrote: »
    Was surprised how low the ATR72 was on his flybys - here's one short video I took; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgeTlSwXN8s&feature=share
    Very close in too. I think the IAC Casa pilots should take note!

I'd love to see something, anything, new in the lineup, but I doubt the organisers care too much as long as people keep turning up in the sort of numbers they again had today. Its a family day out affair, not an 'enthusiasts' show.

Advertisement