Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bray airshow 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Duffer2010

Yea for a free show like this, they should be looking at a few military acts to pad out the line up. I'm resigned to thinking the Bray Air Display is merely a side show to the Bray Summerfest.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Plane Jane

WestDub,

It's only the big teams like Red Arrows that would cost money.
    RAF Hawk, Typhoon & Tornado is minimal as its just Insurance of a couple of hundred quid.
    The 1st show in 2005 had the Dutch Air Force....different organisers though and that was not attached to summerfest as it was run as a stand alone show.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭westdub

Really?? heres part of the report of Clacton's 2011 show which is also a free seaside show,
    2011/12 Estimate
    2011/12 Amount

Direct Costs

Income

Net Subsidy/Surplus

Key Issues

§1 This financial overview does not include the cost of internal recharges, which is estimated to be £44,730. This covers the internal staffing and a proportion of other central overheads.
    §2 The saving of £13,507 compared with the budget estimate was largely due to the Red Arrows being unable to perform at this year’s show; this would have amounted to an additional £16,000 in costs.
    §3 The cost of the flight display accounts for 31% (£20,000) of total direct expenditure
    §4 Trade Stand income accounts for over 72% (£46,000) of all income generated.
    So it cost them £20,000 for just the display's which were mostly RAF...
    Thursday 25th August:

14:00 - 15:00.

Sea King SaR
    Tutor
    Tucano
    Gerald Cooper

15:00 - 16:00
    Spitfire (Hanger 11)
    Breitling Wingwalker (solo display)
    RAF Falcons

Friday 26th August

13:00 - 13:45

Sea King SaR

13:45 - 14:30
    BBMF (L, S, D)
    RAF Falcons
    Tutor
    Tucano

14:30 - 15:00
    Hawk
    Gerald Cooper
    breitling Wingwalker (solo display)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Plane Jane

WestDub,

The only real cost there is wingwalkers & spitfire. The BBMF cost may total 2 or 3 k but all else is insurance buy in to RAF which is minimal ( Hawk is about 300 quid )

You can be sure organisers / display Director fees are part of that 20k also.

Hotel room. meals, car hire etc can cost also

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭television

Duffer2010 wrote: »
    Yea for a free show like this, they should be looking at a few military acts to pad out the line up. I'm resigned to thinking the Bray Air Display is merely a side show to the Bray Summerfest.
    that is EXACTLY what it is......cant wait to see the lidil bag doing a fly by.wasnt going to go but seeing as they went all out to get that bag i have changed my mind,and as for the static glider...that will be the highlight of my day...really looking forward to it now NOT!!!:D

• Advertisement

westdub wrote: »
    In one word.... Money....
    All the acts you mention cost money to attend a show and I cant see Bray having a big budget for that.....
    you are right,its all about the money but with the amount the town takes in during this show [and all year around seeing as its a carnival type of town with the arcades and what not] surley they can putt aside a few quid for the next years show and as has been mentioned why not get the airlines to spnsor it and contribute to it.also si pardy is a part owner of simtech flight trainging which is worth a hell of a lot of money so dont see why they cant sponsor it,after all,they take out pages in the programe booklet every year

bejasis123 wrote: »
    looks boring this year. i have a remote control plane that can loop. i might bring it to make the day interesting... :-)
    i might bring my pc-9 rc model in the raaf roulettes scheme along,maybe we can make it intresting:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

5 pictures of the Blades on their list of participants to make the display line up look good, who are they trying to kid. Traffic restrictions from 12 noon to 7pm, with the small disply line up it will be over in less than an hour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

Storm 10 wrote: »
    5 pictures of the Blades on their list of participants to make the display line up look good, who are they trying to kid. Traffic restrictions from 12 noon to 7pm, with the small disply line up it will be over in less than an hour

The 7 hour traffic restriction is probably for the banner towing that passes over every half hour... Haha

Really disappointed with the line up, could do better myself..

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Jesus Nut

The Fly In at Clonbullogue this weekend sounded way more exciting than Brays Air Show!

Be better of getting every one to just go to dublin airport for the day and join the spotters. Would see more anyways

• Advertisement

Jesus Nut wrote: »
    The Fly In at Clonbullogue this weekend sounded way more exciting than Brays Air Show!

Be better of getting every one to just go to dublin airport for the day and join the spotters. Would see more anyways
    i agree,i even work in the airport and would rather go ton the airport on a day off to see more than what bray has to offer...very poor line up this year and rest assured when i see si pardy i will defo give him both barrells so to speak:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭lisatiffany

Does anyone have the full list of air craft that are going to actually attend? I covered the air show in 2010 and 2011 but it seems to be getting smaller every year. Someone even mentioned the air corps maybe not showing up? I have a friend who runs their press division and heard nothing about them not showing up. I was thinking of bringing along a 500mm lens this year but hearing about people dropping out is starting to put me off hauling around so much equipment on the day. The facebook page and main site are too much of a joke and its proving next to impossible to get a proper line up. Does anyone have any solid information on who is going to show up?

Does anyone have the full list of air craft that are going to actually attend? I covered the air show in 2010 and 2011 but it seems to be getting smaller every year. Someone even mentioned the air corps maybe not showing up? I have a friend who runs their press division and heard nothing about them not showing up. I was thinking of bringing along a 500mm lens this year but hearing about people dropping out is starting to put me off hauling around so much equipment on the day. The facebook page and main site are too much of a joke and its proving next to impossible to get a proper line up. Does anyone have any solid information on who is going to show up?
    sadly the way this show has gone its impossable to say who or what will actually turn up.nobody seems to know and wont know untill an aircraft is actually flying its display

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Teddy Edward

lisatiffany,

Lidl have 100% confirmed the display plastic bag will be appearing. Not sure on which direction it will enter the display line though as this will depend on wind direction on the day.:D

lisatiffany,

Lidl have 100% confirmed the display plastic bag will be appearing. Not sure on which direction it will enter the display line though as this will depend on wind direction on the day.:D

just heard that lidl are sending 4 bags to put on an alternative display team:D:pac:

I hope Lidl put on a good show, perhaps some day they can afford a display from Aldi too :)

I hope Lidl put on a good show, perhaps some day they can afford a display from Aldi too :)

better start asking aldi now for next year.hope the organsiers go to all the stops and have a formation fly past of party balloons too,ha ha:D

Facebook Today

Bray Air Spectacular The Hunter is not in the line up - the air corps are.
    A few seconds ago

nothing new there.at least the aircorps have finally confirmed....still not going to bother my arse going

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

Lads get back on topic anymore about lidl and aldi i will start banning an infracting free of charge.

Your call last warning.

On a lighter note im looking forward to the show.

• Advertisement

I reckon I'm not going to bring along a 500mm lens since the hawkers not coming, just go for something small like a 300mm. the BD5 should be interesting though, I'll have to ask my friend in the Air Corps if he will be flying the Casa on the day. I know the 2nd Casa is in Spain at the moment getting refitted, be nice if the USAF showed up again this year too. Frankly if it doesn't rain and we get some sunshine I'll be happy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭airbusa320

Ill settle for some dry weather as well but a few surprises would be nice and if the costgard come, the new helicopter would be nice to see.
    The USAF would also be nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭urajoke

The Aer Corps annual boys day out by the sea. Same dross different year.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭airbusa320

New website up now. Also pleasure flights on the saturday and the sunday along the front but it looks like the display will only be 90 mins this year according to the facebook page as this is how long the pleasure flights are stopping for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 armchair pilot

Guys............. now Im really confused.......... and so will the media be !!!. The media page refers to the event as a display, a show and a spectacular. Well, if the organisers are confused when they are putting together a page, how do they think the media will be ??

I think someone should tip off Captain Pardy (or 'screw' for those with predictive text) about Portrush. A statement at the bottom of his new 'welcome' page commences with "Ireland's largest free air show........". This grossly exaggerated error was pointed out in a previous comment on Boards, but clearly he is unable to interpret messages or learn from previous mistakes.

He really cons his patrons by suggesting there are 25 acts invited / confirmed by posting 25 images. Take a closer look at how many pics he has of the same aircraft !!!........4 for the Blades........ his favourite display team in the whole world !!!. I see he doesnt seem to be getting overwhelming support from our Government.......... with 5 days left and a new web page......... he has the IAC as 'invited'.

Sure Duffy's circus are in town that day.............. mmmmmmm............ now there's a thought !!!!.............. sounds more tempting !!!......... at least we know what patrons can expect if they visit a circus !!!. We've little idea what to expect from the circus on Bray sea front on Sunday ???

It just gets more silly I just took this from their website, has this aircraft got afterburner. Its a bloody propellar plane doing top speed of 225 knots, the Air Corps PC9 is 100 knots faster than the Sbach. They make it sound like its an F16
    For the first time in Air Spectacular history, an Irish pilot, Dave Bruton, will be taking the high speed Sbach 342 to the air.
    For theFor the first time in Air Spectacular history, an Irish pilot, Dave Bruton, w
    IIs ill be taking the high speed Sbach 342 to the air . first time in Air Spectacular history, an Irish pilot, Dave Bruton, will be taking the high speed Sbach 342 to the air .For the first time in Air Spectacular history, an Irish pilot, Dave Bruton, will be taking the high speed Sbach 342 to the air

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

For all we know they probably scrapped the the hunter display to pay for the shíte website..

Definitely not going now, waste of time travelling up to see what i see occasionally..

I'm going to miss the Hunter but my media pass was confirmed today so however the lineup goes it looks like I'll still be attending. Whats Portrush air show like? I've never gone because its so out of the way but I'm seriously pondering making the trip up this year. :)

Red Arrows, Typhoon, Blades, Hawk,

http://www.niinternationalairshow.co.uk/gallery/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 armchair pilot

Now ............. thats a real air show !!!............. its the ONLY air show in Ireland this year. What happens in Bray is a small air display.. a megga difference !!!
    Mark those dates in ur calender............. treat ur boyfriend to a weekend away and stay overnight sat night. So much to do in north antrim............ Giants Causeway, Bushmills distillery and plenty more !!!
    Now Captain Pardy should take a trip up there and learn what a real air show is !!

Advertisement