Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ACCOMMODATION SUPERTHREAD! **Read first post before posting**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Isabel93

I have a single room available in meadowbrook avenue if anyone is interested for september! myself and two other girls need to fill up a four bed roomed house and we have one room left. Its 80 euro per week and its a very nice house. Brand new kitchen and big sitting room. There is a Chinese restaurant and spar right across the road and its a 15 minute walk to the college. anyone interested pm me!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ahHerenow

3 lads here looking for a house for next year, 2 in 2nd year and 1 going into first. If anyone knows of any houses looking for rooms to be filled, or even any houses with 3 bedrooms, it'd be much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭roxyworldgirl

Hey Guys!

House in College Green for 9 months from Sept:
    SINGLE ROOM available it is right at the shortcut so basically in Meadowbrook right at the shop and Chinese restuarant... and off licence :P
    10 minutes walk to Campus
    It's a four bed house with parking spaces and alarm...
    Only 75€ a week for the room
    We're going into second year but everyone is welcome so PM if interested ! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Hey Guys!

House in College Green for 9 months from Sept:
    SINGLE ROOM available it is right at the shortcut so basically in Meadowbrook right at the shop and Chinese restuarant... and off licence :P
    10 minutes walk to Campus
    It's a four bed house with parking spaces and alarm...
    Only 75€ a week for the room
    We're going into second year but everyone is welcome so PM if interested ! :)
    That sounds a hell of a lot like my old house :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭roxyworldgirl

That sounds a hell of a lot like my old house :pac:

Haha in college green ? Pm me the house number :L

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 katieom

anyone know of any good cheap accomodation in maynooth for the summer. Daft is good and all but I have been hearing of these ridiculously good rates in Maynooth and I just dont see them online..

Ask the residence office for the summer housing list and ring around some of the landlords. You should be able to find places that are pretty cheap that way. I paid 30 euro rent a week for a house last summer, was awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 katieom

Ask the residence office for the summer housing list and ring around some of the landlords. You should be able to find places that are pretty cheap that way. I paid 30 euro rent a week for a house last summer, was awesome.

Excellent cheers! Yeah I really don't want to pay more than 30 a week tbh! sounds good!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Ephemeral.

Hey !

I'm a french guy who'll be studying at Maynooth for 2 semesters for my third year so I'm looking for info on off-campus accomodation (on campus seems too expensive). And I'm a bit lost ; )
    Based on your experience, what would you recommend ? Is it easy to find something nice & cheap in early september when all the students arrive or is it way better to come a bit earlier (late august) – which I'll try to do anyway ? Or is it better to find something before getting to Ireland ?
    I'm not looking for anything special : just my own room in a sharing for the duration of 2 semesters, in a quiet area, not too far from the campus by walk / bike and which doesn't cost billions for proper heating. I don't care about the rest, really.
    If you have any advice on what to do / what to avoid, recommandations, nice places, then feel free to answer here or PM me.

Thanks !

Hello! If you email the residence office (residence.office@nuim.ie), they will be able to give you a list of houses available to rent. You can also look on websites such as daft.ie (probably better for finding rooms to rent). It would probably be easier to find somewhere to stay if you come a bit earlier as most students will be beginning to look for houses towards the end of August. However, there are usually always places available most of the time.

It would probably be easier to find somewhere when you arrive in Maynooth, purely because you will be able to view the room/house and make a more informed decision. Obviously this might be difficult seeing as you're coming from abroad. There aren't really any areas to avoid in Maynooth, although an estate called Old Greenfield is meant to be a bit rough. Estates like Beaufield, Kingsbry and Meadowbrook are the main places where students stay, so that can sometimes mean noisy neighbours (although nowhere is as noisy as on campus accommodation!). Maynooth isn't that big, so most estates aren't that far of a walk from the college. With regards heating, most houses will be heated using oil heating which can be pretty expensive; prices obviously depend on the current oil prices so it can be hard to estimate.

If you have any other questions, just ask :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Mspoppins

Hi everyone
    I'm a first year in maynooth my course is general science, I'm a deferred applicant.
    I was wondering if anyone has stayed in studentaccommodationmaynooth and what they opinion was on it, is it noisy? and clean! any bad experiences, all i see is everyone calling it a "cult" haha

im torn between staying here or finding a house!

and would anyone have any idea where I should stay!!! I know nobody in the area or any friends heading to maynooth

Thank you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Mspoppins

have you ever stayed in student accommodation maynooth? if you have is it good!

Thanks for your answer, dear Unicorn. That helped ! Any other impression is of course welcome.
    Yeah, coming there earlier seems to be the best solution : you're sure of what you get... If I can't, I'll have a look to websites such as daft.ie and forums, as I see some people around here are looking to fill up houses. As for the place to crash when I arrive, that'll most likely be couchsurfing & my tent, although I fear the almighty rain & cold of Ireland, which are said to be even worse then the already poorly reputed region where I currently live ; ) !

Just one question maybe : in general, how much does a room (with just what's necessary, nothing too fancy) cost per month (with things like electricity, bins, heating...) ?

It can really depend tbh. Rent for a room usually tends to be between 250-350 euro (can be lower or higher though obviously). Electricity is usually about 10-15 euro a month (depends on how many people the bill is split between though). Bins are usually covered by landlords, but if they're not, a bin tag for a non-recyclabe wheely bin is 8 euro I think.

And the weather, while definitely not the best, isn't that terrible :p It can be pretty nice around August/September. If you've any friends coming over who'll be staying on campus, just crash on their floors :D

Thanks for the insight (if that's correct english). If I understand correctly, people living on campus can't access their room until the 9th so they won't be of any help. I'm not too worried about finding a temporary place to sleep anyway. Unless there's a storm, I should be fine.

Around August / September ? Do you mean late august and early september ? That's almost 10 days of nice weather a year. Great ! ; )) Just kidding, I'm looking forward to getting there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 KingCharlesPups

Yo guys! In need of a room off campus for my final year (well fingers crossed). I do finance and need to sort myself out with a room with quiet(ish) peoples! Even if someone could be so kind as to point me in the right direction itd be really appreciated thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 gerii

Hey all! I am looking for accommodation for September, and would love to live near college! Does anyone know if there would be rooms available in Lyreen Manor, above the shopping centre? It seems that they want to rent the apartment altogether instead of rooms individually. I have searched daft.ie website everyday and there is nothing :( I know it is expensive to rent there, but I wouldnt mind, as long as I would be near the college. If anyone can help me I would be so grateful! Will be going into 2nd year Finance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dr.quirky

Hey Gerii, Your best bet on getting lyreen manor would be to find people to fill the apartment yourself, I think for most part they aren't really "rent by room" type lettings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 katiedee

ROOM AVAILABLE IN MAYNOOTH!

A room available in Maynooth. Excellent location, just off main street (1min from Mantra, 2mins from Dunnes, 5mins from College).
    Sharing with 2 girls (both 21). Looking for male or female.
    House consists of kitchen, large living room area and one bathroom. Gas heating. Lease starting last week of August, preferably 12months. 90euro per week.
    If interested, pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 valencia89

you cant beat moyglare, by far the best in maynooth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Maybe going to NUIM in September, it's not first choice but still wanna be prepared.
    Any recommendations for on-campus accommodation?
    If I get in I'll be either studying Psychology or Psychology through science, so soemthing near those buildings but at a reasonable price.
    Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭clairemcbear

Room Available in 5 bed house sharing with 3 lads and one girl,so preferably a girl! pm me

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Antbert

Hello :) We have a room (or possibly 2 rooms, depending on who moves out in September) available in a lovely house in Maynooth. Currently we're 4 postgrads living there. Landlady is strict on tenants being postgrads (or professionals but presumably it'd be postgrads here) or at least of postgrad age (22+) and non smokers. The room is a double and we're currently in negotiations about rent, trying to get it down to an average of 320 a month per person. It's about a ten minute walk to the college and has Chorus (internet and tv) but no bills are included in the rent. Anyone interested send me a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Uniruairc

Room available in Maynooth!
    It's in Rail Park, 20 minute walk from campus.
    There are three of us living here so far, and we've one double bedroom left.
    It's a nice house, two bathrooms, four double bedrooms, dishwasher, washing machine, dryer, internet, tv...
    From September it'll be 300 a month, but until then it's only 225 because of the Summer. Bills not included in this, but internet, gas an electricity generally come to about 80 every 2 months.
    The three of us living here are all just finished our undergrads, and we're all working/doing postgrads.
    If you're interested throw me a personal message!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 frankie089

Hi all!

Does anyone have any input on Student Accommodation Maynooth?

I'm an international student and I'll be moving from the U.S. to Maynooth in early September to start my master's... currently trying to figure out where I'm going to live. I've pretty much ruled out on-campus housing at this point, based on all the complaints I've read about them being noisy.

Any information/helpful tips would be greatly appreciated! :)

-Frances

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Jonah42

frankie089 wrote: »
    Hi all!

Does anyone have any input on Student Accommodation Maynooth?

I'm an international student and I'll be moving from the U.S. to Maynooth in early September to start my master's... currently trying to figure out where I'm going to live. I've pretty much ruled out on-campus housing at this point, based on all the complaints I've read about them being noisy.

Any information/helpful tips would be greatly appreciated! :)

-Frances

Rye Halls not too noisy in my experience. Village is incredibly noisy all the time and it can depend where you are with regards living in River.

Jonah42 wrote: »
    Rye Halls not too noisy in my experience. Village is incredibly noisy all the time and it can depend where you are with regards living in River.

Thanks for the tip! I *have* read that Rye Hall has thicker walls so the noise isn't so bad - if I end up on-campus, I'd probably go for that. Mostly everything I've read about River so far has said that the walls are "paper-thin."

Which halls have you lived in, then? How were they as far as cleanliness goes? Were furnishings in good repair, did you have good luck with roommates, etc.?

Rye Hall is the oldest accommodation, so a lot of the apartments aren't great. It's generally viewed as the worst place to live on campus. I lived in Village and River. Village was noisy, but I didn't mind that too much as i'm a heavy sleeper. River is alright, but too expensive imo. Re: roommates, it's really a mixed bag, same as anywhere else. You could end up with people who are really noisy and messy, but you could get lovely people too. The furnishings are standard and the apartments are usually clean enough. Obviously how clean it is during the year depends on you and your housemates. If something breaks, it can take a while for it to get fixed.

Generally I wouldn't recommend living on campus as it's too noisy and expensive, but if you're new to Maynooth, it's a great way to get to know people and the area. No harm in looking for a place off campus though. Rents are usually a lot lower.

Re: the Student Accommodation Maynooth place - I've heard nothing but bad reports, but that is mainly based on rumours. It's apparently ran by a strict religious group.

Re: the Student Accommodation Maynooth place - I've heard nothing but bad reports, but that is mainly based on rumours. It's apparently ran by a strict religious group.

Yeah, I did find that it is run by the Divine Word Missionaries - trying to get a sense of the implications of that as far as whether it's a good place to live or not. I can't deny that the location is great, of course. What bad things have you heard about it?

• Advertisement

There is meant to be strict enough rules such as a curfew and not allowing people to stay over. I suppose whether or not you think those things are bad though is subjective obviously. Usually those rules would automatically turn most students off, but some would think they're great rules. Personally my main problem with it would be the religious aspect, but that's me. It is in a great location though; literally a 2 minute walk from campus.

Advertisement