Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I have the iPhone 3G (yes, it is that old) and have been thinking about jailbreaking it lately.

I've checked out Absinthe, and sadly it is not compatible with the 3G, only the 3GS and later models.

Does anyone know of a way I can jailbreak this one quite simply?

Thanks in advance.

Redsn0w should do it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

Im sure this has been posted before but incase anyone hasnt seen it heres a very good chart on what jailbreaks are available for all devices on all firmwares. Also a pretty good video on some of the benefits of jailbreaking

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Karsini wrote: »
    Redsn0w should do it for you.

Fantastic, thank you. I'll go check it out now and hopefully give it a shot tonight.

Is there anything else you think I'll need for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Omeceron

Hi

Ive jailbroken a 3GS using absinthe and now I've lost the majority of the standard apps ie phone calls, messages..

I can find them under spotlight but when I select them I get a message saying "unsupported url" This URL wasn't loaded: search://com.apple.Mobile

A google search has suggested reboots but this hasnt worked.

Can anyone help?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

JB the phone and have Cydia installed, where to go from now? All very alien to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Yakult wrote: »
    JB the phone and have Cydia installed, where to go from now? All very alien to me

Do what we all did at one time, install everything n realize you made a mess and need to restore your phone :D

Doylers wrote: »
    Do what we all did at one time, install everything n realize you made a mess and need to restore your phone :D

Will do :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,478 ✭✭✭✭guil

Omeceron wrote: »
    Hi

Ive jailbroken a 3GS using absinthe and now I've lost the majority of the standard apps ie phone calls, messages..

I can find them under spotlight but when I select them I get a message saying "unsupported url" This URL wasn't loaded: search://com.apple.Mobile

A google search has suggested reboots but this hasnt worked.

Can anyone help?
    Go to settings>general>reset and tap reset home screen layout

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Does anyone know of a way to download comics onto the ipad using JB?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭moggser

lads can 5.1.1 be jailbroke and unlocked a 3gs no idea what firmware or baseband is on it its stuck withthe itunes logo on it and cant kick it owa recovery tiny umbrella wont do it

i know it was on 4.3 i think jailbroke and unlocked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Lads how easy is it to go update ios5.o1 to ios5.1.1 on an iPhone 4.

the iphone 4 is jailbroken, I cant remember how I did it before but it was piss hard.

hmm, I'm trying to tell some chaps how to do it, jeez instructing them how to do it is going to way harder than doing it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Quick question - I'm about to try jailbreaking for the first time here and I just want to double check that my phone contact info & messages are saved in the iTunes backup? If not, is there anyway I can do this??

Quick question - I'm about to try jailbreaking for the first time here and I just want to double check that my phone contact info & messages are saved in the iTunes backup? If not, is there anyway I can do this??
    I backed my contacts up to gmail. Not sure about messages but then again I wasnt too fussed if I lost them.

Lads how easy is it to go update ios5.o1 to ios5.1.1 on an iPhone 4.

the iphone 4 is jailbroken, I cant remember how I did it before but it was piss hard.

hmm, I'm trying to tell some chaps how to do it, jeez instructing them how to do it is going to way harder than doing it myself.
    I'm not sure but I think if the phone is jb then OTA updates are disabled. Just connect it to iTunes and click update.
    Bearing in min that updating will remove the jb and I'm not sure if the latest jb is tethered or not

moggser wrote: »
    lads can 5.1.1 be jailbroke and unlocked a 3gs no idea what firmware or baseband is on it its stuck withthe itunes logo on it and cant kick it owa recovery tiny umbrella wont do it

sorry for the bump lads but is this possible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭splashthecash

I did a jailbreak last night on my G3S and tried searching for the Swype app but it doesn't seem to be working\downloading correctly - when I try providing the source as per the link below I get a couple of errors and nothing shows...?

Am I doing something wrong?

http://www.simonblog.com/2011/07/19/how-to-install-swype-keyboard-on-iphone-and-ipad/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭craftypaddy

a friend gave me his iphone 3gs to jailbreak and unlock as i did mine a few years back using jailbreakme.com
    when i went to the site on the phone it says jailbreak is not possible for this handset.
    its on 4.1 by the way. i must be doing something wrong as the last couple i did were simple enough.
    any tips would be great thanks for reading

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

a friend gave me his iphone 3gs to jailbreak and unlock as i did mine a few years back using jailbreakme.com
    when i went to the site on the phone it says jailbreak is not possible for this handset.
    its on 4.1 by the way. i must be doing something wrong as the last couple i did were simple enough.
    any tips would be great thanks for reading
    the phone needs to be on 4.3.3 for jailbreakme.com to work

sorry for the bump lads but is this possible
    Yeah use redsn0w to jailbreak and install the iPad baseband or you could use sn0wbreeze to create an ipsw with the iPad baseband and restore to that

cant seem to get a snow breeze that works downloaded 3 of them (2.96) and the .exe wont open

• Advertisement

Try it in compatability mode in xp

guil wrote: »
    Try it in compatability mode in xp
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    also how do i do that

yeah i will do when i get this tuned on at least

for now when plugged in it seems to be stuck in a apple logo boot loop

keeps flashing the logo at me for 2 secs then off again

EDIT ok i seem to have got it in to dfu mode and tried to restore it in itunes and got a 1601 error

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    also how do i do that

yeah i will do when i get this tuned on at least

for now when plugged in it seems to be stuck in a apple logo boot loop

keeps flashing the logo at me for 2 secs then off again

EDIT ok i seem to have got it in to dfu mode and tried to restore it in itunes and got a 1601 error

Is there anyway you could try it with a different PC?
    I had an untold amount of problems with my last JB and had the same problem with it ending up being stuck at the boot logo and getting errors in iTunes when I tried restoring. Eventually I got an old laptop out and it restored no problem and I haven't had any problems since. I've read that's not uncommon. It might be worth trying.

yeah ill give that a go and see what happens sure what else can go wrong

EDIT wait after hour and half its finally restoring through itunes

spoke to ****in soon error 29

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    also how do i do that

I don't want to seem rude (although i probably will) but if you don't know how to do that then you should really not be jailbreaking. Find someone who knows what they're doing to do it or show you.

TBi wrote: »
    I don't want to seem rude (although i probably will) but if you don't know how to do that then you should really not be jailbreaking. Find someone who knows what they're doing to do it or show you.

yeah it kinda does alright but ill over look it as people often misconstrue things on the interwebs:)

anyway ive jailbroke and unlocked iphones before in the past before it was cool to do so :)..any way its been a looooooong time since needing to do one again as i got a 4s for meself and have no need to jailbreak or unlock it

all i asked was for a little pointer and i got one but cant get snow breeze to work now if you know and dont wanna tell me why are you posting a reply to me bar your attempt to either be rude or not i cant tell its the interwebs:rolleyes:

@_Whimsical_ ive tried it on the laptop now and keep getting the same error 29 code

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

TBi wrote: »

It's unlikely that it's something that he did wrong here, more likely that it's an incompatibility with the software somewhere and he's just unfortunate. If it were an "experts only" thing the numbers jailbreaking would dwindle by millions.We have all learned as we have gone. If Moggser fixes this and posts about it we'll all learn something new too.

@ Moggser : that sucks. Have you tried any other forums ? I've found sinfuliphone.com has been helpful in the past when I've had problems although I think it's quieter now than it was. I think that my antivirus scanner prevented installation of an itunes driver on my laptop and that might've been the cause of my problem.

EDIT : Ok I googled error 29 in 3gs ... it looks like it might be a hardware problem concerning the battery . Have you looked into this ? There's a bit on youtube about it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEAnsvXXncE&feature=related

Cheers for your reply and diggin out that nugget of information::)

It might be a co inky dink that I just got the battery replaced the other day
    Buuuuuuuut it wouldn't come out of iTunes logo mode anyway so I'm 50/50 on if that's the problem

Anyway I've thrown me hat at it for now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭craftypaddy

massy086 wrote: »
    the phone needs to be on 4.3.3 for jailbreakme.com to work
    thanks for the reply
    i downloaded the 4.3.3 on my laptop whats the best way to put it on the phone

• Advertisement

thanks for the reply
    i downloaded the 4.3.3 on my laptop whats the best way to put it on the phone

You can't. Not unless it was installed on that device before.

Advertisement