Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

orange provocation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

They should send them over to the Netherlands to do their 'Parades'

They'd fit right in with all that Orange at the Queens day festival.

Nobody would have a f*cking clue what their on about either so double win.

Every time I hear 'Orange Order' I can't help but think 'Ku Klux Klan' the outfits are just as ridiculous.

Do they have a grand wizard ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Happyman42 wrote: »
    You where NOT saying sectarianism is ok and justified, which is what you where continually being asked about.
    Stop wriggling and stand up for what you believe in, man! :rolleyes:

Now - if there's some medical reason you're a bit slow on the uptake, I apologise, but let me break it down in simple terms (again):

I'm not saying sectarianism is either ok or justified, but I think we're all aware that most insular religious groups are fundamentally sectarian in outlook. That's their business, and it's not against any law until they go a break some related law.

If you read anything that anyone posted in this thread stating that sectarianism was ok - then consult with your doctor - the pills aren't working any more.

The majority of OO parades don't result in provocation or overt displays of sectarianism - one did this year - which is pretty good in historic terms. The vast majority of parades either worked out compromises with concerned residents, or took place in non-contentious routes. No Southern parades have been contentious to date - and what's been suggested is another southern parade - just in Dublin.

I'm happy enough for these lads to have their parade - regardless of what I personally feel about their brand of Protestantism - it's no more offensive to me than say Youth Defence, who are welcome to make a song and dance in public - as long as they don't break the law. Not my thing at all, but I'm not going to try and stop them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Do me a favour and google the word 'sectarian'. :rolleyes:
    just have sectarian;;;one characterized by bigoted adherence to a fractional viewpoint, i got it right first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

getz wrote: »
    i think you are blind to the obvious,people who try to suggest the GAA is;not sectarian; well it plainly is ,the symbols it uses,the word eire on many of their badges,could you imagine the word british being used on irish football badges in the republic. its constitution and various other things are plainly exclusive,it does not matter whether this is deliberate[although it is ],yes protestants can play GAA but only if they are prepared to tolerate nationism,in other words,only on certain peoples own terms.

It is a very openly Nationalist organisation, that doesn't make it sectarian like the OO.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

just have sectarian;;;one characterized by bigoted adherence to a fractional viewpoint, i got it right first time.

It's an organisation set up to foster and promote gaelic games and culture, it never said anything different. There is nothing sectarian about that. If you want to take part in gaelic games and culture; join. If you don't wish to partake in that, don't join.
    It was that very ethos that seen it targetted by the those who support and promote sectarianism in the North, both openly and out of the side of their mouths.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    It is a very openly Nationalist organisation, that doesn't make it sectarian like the OO.
    i can agree with you there,but trying to deny that there is no sectarian agenda in some of their northern clubs is laughable

It's an organisation set up to foster and promote gaelic games and culture, it never said anything different. There is nothing sectarian about that. If you want to take part in gaelic games and culture; join. If you don't wish to partake in that, don't join.
    It was that very ethos that seen it targetted by the those who support and promote sectarianism in the North, both openly and out of the side of their mouths.
    how many non-catholics play GAA in northern ireland ? there certainly no problem of who joins in england/wales/ scotland and the republic,

how many non-catholics play GAA in northern ireland ? there certainly no problem of who joins in england/wales/ scotland and the republic,

I'll give you 3 guesses to why that is. :rolleyes:
    Show us where; in it's constitution or in it's utterances, that the organisation is 'officially' sectarian. Then comparison with the OO is justified, if you can't do that, stop trying to deflect with whataboutery.
    While you are at it, show us where they where aided and abetted by the authorities in the practice of this imaginary sectarianism.

It's an organisation set up to foster and promote gaelic games and culture, it never said anything different.

Which explains perfectly why they would choose to put an IRA terrorist on a youth competition medal. Nothing sectarian to see here, move along.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

i can agree with you there,but trying to deny that there is no sectarian agenda in some of their northern clubs is laughable

Well there will be idiots in organisations that big, like the order trying to censure the UUP leader for attending Ronan Kerr's funeral. Still leaves the OO as sectarian and the GAA openly Nationalist.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

While you are at it, show us where they where aided and abetted by the authorities in the practice of this imaginary sectarianism.

The GAA are just as involved in seeking grants as the OO is - and that's the extent of 'aiding and abetting by authorities' at play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

john why wrote: »
    just seen on the bbc newsline that yesterday a loyalist band stoped at a catholic church to sing the famine song and to have a little march. wtf is wrong with these people, and they claim there not sectarian.

dont know how to upload links, maybe someone else could
    I like their sense of humour.

K-9 wrote: »
    Well there will be idiots in organisations that big, like the order trying to censure the UUP leader for attending Ronan Kerr's funeral. Still leaves the OO as sectarian and the GAA openly Nationalist.

That a nationalist organisation got entrenched (in some instances) in the face of systemised and organised official discrimination, provocation and targeting, ground stealing and the murder of their members is undeniable. However, there is no official sectarian agenda in the GAA and there never was.
    The OO, however, offically and constitutionally sectarian, had the weight of the security forces and therefore, the institution of Government itself, behind them for decades. That is also undeniable.

That is also undeniable.

Of course it is. :rolleyes:

And those poor GAA lads - you can't blame them for what they were forced into doing - it was all the securocrats fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

alastair wrote: »
    Of course it is. :rolleyes:

And those poor GAA lads - you can't blame them for what they were forced into doing - it was all the securocrats fault.

Hey buddy did you bash astonaidan in the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Nipper Man

Hi Everybody,

I think that people are entitled to march, however they should march and enjoy themselves and not try and incite people by hateful remarks or the like.

After all the things that have happened in the past 30 odd years and all the deaths because of that era, people seem not to have learned anything at all.

Education seems to have missed that part of a person's reasoning ability to behave in a Christian manner towards their neighbour's of all Religion's and or beliefs.

There are some things that I do not agree with, however I can accept them as long as I am not directly put in any harm by their existence in this world where we all have several differences to contend with on a daily basis, so lets not do onto others that we would not like done to ourselves, please.

A memory of something past should not now cause injury for those living in the present.

Nodin wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭omgitsthelazor

2012, still with this crap. Wow.

Saddest part was seeing kids involved, what monstrosity of a parent would involve their kids in something bigoted like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Lads, Alastair has almost 3 times the number of posts of the next nearest person (144) and is still getting a kick out of this thread. I think it's time people stopped giving him the oxygen of attention.

Anticipated response:

If this advice was applied to the marching bands them we might not have all this outrage.

To which I would redirect him to this post.
    The ol' 'just ignore it' spiel, such naivety. It's impossible to ignore - what do you want people to do? Wear ear protectors, blindfolds and lock themselves in a darkened room for a month?

It's a marching season not a marching day; did that fact pass you by or are you just here in a failed attempt to be condescending?

TL;DR, Do not feed.

Lads, Alastair has almost 3 times the number of posts of the next nearest person (144).

Thanks for caring enough to count. :p

You seem to agree with me over the best way to deal with displays of parade sectarianism all the same:
    Shure what's the point in being triumphalist over centuries old events if you can't antagonise your phantom 'enemy'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

2012, still with this crap. Wow.

Saddest part was seeing kids involved, what monstrosity of a parent would involve their kids in something bigoted like that?

Yip I agree with you.

Its a cycle you can bet their fathers brought them up the same way. Bigots to the core.

• Advertisement

I wish we could just cut Northern Ireland off from the rest of Ireland.

Then they can play their silly flute music about murdering catholics and protestants or whatever the pipe bomb in the school hit.

Fu­cking dullards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

alastair wrote: »
    Thanks for caring enough to count. :p

If you press the number of posts as it appears on the front page it gives a list of who has 'contributed' the most.

1 click.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Edz87 wrote: »
    I wish we could just cut Northern Ireland off from the rest of Ireland.

Then they can play their silly flute music about murdering catholics and protestants or whatever the pipe bomb in the school hit.

Fu­cking dullards.

yes they do it when reading the weather.

If you press the number of posts as it appears on the front page it gives a list of who has 'contributed' the most.

1 click.

You learn something new every day. Still - thanks for checking!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

ha ha this lot marching through dublin very funny

• Registered Users Posts: 16,381 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Don't know if any of ye were watching BBC Newsline but it was almost laughable the excuses the DUP guy was making for the band playing outside the church.
    Apparently they "didn't know" it was a catholic church that they were playing next to.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

Don't know if any of ye were watching BBC Newsline but it was almost laughable the excuses the DUP guy was making for the band playing outside the church.
    Apparently they "didn't know" it was a catholic church that they were playing next to.:rolleyes:

your right that is laughable, they know exactly where their little marches go, they plan every route and submit it to the parades commision

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭blingrhino

I live in the south , I work in the north.
    Northern people whether catholic or protestant are generally a pain in the arse .
    I hate dealing with them , they moan , whine and sing as they talk .
    Have a real distrust of them even "friends", find them sneaky with another agenda.
    Does anybody in the south really care about the north.
    Just get a big fence from Dundalk to Donegal and leave them at it .

blingrhino wrote: »
    Just get a big fence from Dundalk to Donegal and leave them at it .

That kinda irresponsible attitude created the problem in the first place. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

Lads, Alastair has almost 3 times the number of posts of the next nearest person (144) and is still getting a kick out of this thread. I think it's time people stopped giving him the oxygen of attention.

Anticipated response:

If this advice was applied to the marching bands them we might not have all this outrage.

To which I would redirect him to this post.

TL;DR, Do not feed.
    Congratulations on your promotion as a Mod:)

Advertisement