Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to revive the Irish language.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

FatherLen wrote: »
    the line "cuinis bothar cailin bainne" will go down in the history books.

Quiet road girl milk?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

it will continue to exist
    just like these threads
    i see wanna these every 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Jorah wrote: »
    I will save it.

Maith an fear!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Snakeblood wrote: »
    Quiet road girl milk?

Agus Sharon Ni Bheolain!

Caca Milis!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Jorah wrote: »
    I will save it.

Saint Jude, is that you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

saiint wrote: »
    it will continue to exist
    just like these threads
    i see wanna these every 2 weeks
    Jeez sorry, how did I miss all that new legislation every two weeks!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭akura

It's Fucked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Google recently put it on their Endangered Languages Project:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn2QbwcjmOI&feature=player_embedded

http://www.endangeredlanguages.com/lang/3437

Have a quick look over this and you might be surprised how much comes back to you!

http://www.dfwgaelicleague.com/files/GlanceCard.pdf

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

If they want to save it they need to completely change how it's thought in schools (and how other languaged are tohught in shcools for that matter).

As it is, you are thought to pass an exam, not actualyl speak the language, it's like ****ing everything else in this country, appearances are more important than reality.

It should be completely conversational, no written exams at all. What's the ****ing point in knowing grammar rules if you have no actual idea what you are saying when you recite off the few lines that are drilled into you so you can pass tha Aurals/Orals?

Same should be done for French/German/Spanish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

I'd say its in a better position now than 20 years ago. Huge demand for Gaelscoils, huge investment in promoting the language and the success yes the success of TG4, have all helped to promote the language. What would really help is if we finally stopped teaching kids in school Irish, as if it was their first language and having to deal with all the bull**** poems and started teaching it as a foreign language then the language would start to grow.

Who here uses a bit when abroad? I do. Handy way of insulting the locals without them known.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

Féadfaidh an Ghaeilge go maith a bheith ag fáil bháis ach daoine is gá chun é a úsáid go minic agus páistí a spreagadh agus le pobail chun dul i mbun suim leo ina dteanga dhúchais. Liom é a úsáid go rialta ar saoire chun idirdhealú a dhéanamh ó thurasóirí agus chultúir eile*.

*Seo comment mo curtha le chéile le cúnamh ó google translate.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Nope.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭lifelongnoob

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

The language that has been proclaimed dead or dieing the most for the last 400+ years is not dieing anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Google recently put it on their Endangered Languages Project:
    They also say there are 52 different dialects of Irish...

I met a Bostonian last weekend who was here studying Irish. He was fecking awful, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Merged with last "something Irish language something something"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

Ah sure, tis all a money-racket lads...
    All demz Gaeilgeoirs driving around in their Mercs, sniffing cocaine off a hookers' arse and robbin all me monies.
    F***ing disgrace!!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

De Hipster wrote: »
    Féadfaidh an Ghaeilge go maith a bheith ag fáil bháis ach daoine is gá chun é a úsáid go minic agus páistí a spreagadh agus le pobail chun dul i mbun suim leo ina dteanga dhúchais. Liom é a úsáid go rialta ar saoire chun idirdhealú a dhéanamh ó thurasóirí agus chultúir eile*.

"The Irish may well be dying, but people need to use it frequently and encourage children and communities to take up interest in their native language. I use it regularly on holiday to distinguish from tourists and other cultures *.

*Tranlated with Google traslate"
    Please provide translation yourself next time ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

SocSocPol wrote: »
    Ok well mods can feeel free to close this thread then, I was posting based on a story in todays Irish Times regarding new legislation the Government said was needed to avoid the extinction of the Irish Language.

You don't need to explain why you posted it. We know why you posted it. All threads you've posted here this week were based on something you've just read from an article.
    De Hipster wrote: »

Kneel

• Advertisement

You don't need to explain why you posted it. We know why you posted it. All threads you've posted here this week were based on something you've just read from an article.

Kneel
    And your point is? :confused:

Seaneh wrote: »
    If they want to save it they need to completely change how it's thought in schools (and how other languaged are tohught in shcools for that matter).

As it is, you are thought to pass an exam, not actualyl speak the language, it's like ****ing everything else in this country, appearances are more important than reality.

They have been saying that since I was in school, so 20 years or so. Maybe even longer. Supposedly they changed it recently, but I don't think it changed all that much. Peig is long gone thank god, but the stories I read and learnt off when I was doing the leaving cert, were trying to be edgy and relevant to the modern generation, but most were obviously written by a middle aged school teacher.

I have been to countries who got independence, and switched back to their own language, practically over night. Ukraine for example, decided after no longer being under the thumb of Moscow that they wanted to speak Ukranian not Russian(FYI, Ukranian is like Polish but uses cyrillic letters), as of the last census, the daily use of Ukranian had gone up to around 75%, which isn't bad considering around 25% of the population is Russian.

According to that link, daily use of Irish in Gaeltacht areas, was only 24%. In the Gaeltacht, the so called "Irish speaking" areas, its as low as 24%.

Past government initiatives have put off a generation of irish people from learning the language by the Facsist tactics that were employed for teaching it. My primary schooling was effectively 3 hours of irish, an hour of math and an hour of english. Occasionally we would do nature or geography. Religion got squeezed in regularly too. My Mum, an artist, used to moan about the 10 pounds she had to pay out per year for art supplies, because we only did art about twice a year.

Can it be saved? I doubt it. It would be a shame, but from an economic point of view, Ireland is much better off, being English speaking. I doubt Google would be Head quartered here, if we were all speaking Irish.

Huge demand for Gaelscoils,

Is that not a bit of a red herring? Does the huge demand for Gaelscoileanna not have more to do with the fact that class sizes in Gaelscoileanna tended to be much smaller than in public schools? So people signed their kids up to gaelscoileanna so that they could get a better education.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Make the Language Illegal and we'll speak it out of spite .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭my my my

níl fhios agam- i don't know

there should be free language/sport courses run by volunteers in june july and august

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

I am just going to jump in to this, on page 36/37.

I am going in to 5th Year, and I quite like Irish. I am Irish and I take pride in being from Ireland as we have such an amazing image (for the most part) abroad. Being able to speak Irish is a source of pride in me. Admittedly, my Irish is of a mediocre standard (but, in 1st Year I knew barely a word, now I am up on a B - awaiting my JC results).

My friends (all of them but about two) are anti-Irish-language. If you mention it; they'll just say "it's a dead language; no one speaks it!" That kind of... unsettles me (maybe not the best word). As in, people died years ago to save this language. The amount of people that devoted so much time to saving Irish, and now we are just saying "Ah, no one speaks it..."

My friends often claim it is "dead". No, it's not. Irish is alive, clearly. People still speak it. Latin is dead (I think we can all agree it is not spoken bar science and such). Irish is spoken daily. On a few occasions, I have heard people converse on Shop St in Galway in Irish. It was quite alien, if I am honest.

I was at the Volvo Ocean Race in Galway a few weeks back. A family were speaking Irish. I said to my friend "that's so weird!" Then, later I realized... it's bad that it's weird to hear Irish people speak Irish in Ireland. I mean, come on...

I really think that Irish needs to be taught recently. One of the main complaints my friends have (and I agree) is that the pros and poetry is bull. Every poem is depressing, and our novel is about a lad getting shot. I mean, how can we be expected to enjoy Irish when we read depressing sh!t all day?

The language must be made... more accessible. I really don't know how, to be perfectly honest. Bands such as The Coronas help, I guess - doing songs in Irish. Or, the Rubberbandits. We need more of that to get people my age interested. I would love to see (well, hear) more people speak Irish. Maybe try make it more (cringe alert) "cool". Not like those stupid chewing gum ads doing the rounds atm. I mean, why not promote it through popular books? The Hunger Games in Irish? Or more music in Irish? Or more movies in Irish? Or just encourage people to speak it, and not to be afraid to make mistakes ("You forgot a h! How dare you?!"). I am always afraid of making grammatical errors, which takes away from the language.

As an anecdote of some kind, my friend works in a shop (bear in mind, this girl lives in the "Gaeltacht" and went to a "half Irish school", as she calls it), and one day a man came in. He asked how much an item was, in Irish. My friend had no idea what he said (she's going in to 5th Year, and she'll be doing Higher Irish and she doesn't understand a basic sentence...) The man was very disappointed that she didn't understand. A few weeks later, a German woman came in and she managed to have a conversation in German with my friend. Hm...

I know some of you will say "tl;dr" but I just thought I'd give my two cents, from the point of view of a secondary school student. It is just my opinion on Irish, a language I do not want to see die. I really hope by the time I leave school, I will be near fluency in Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

How to revive the Irish language, by TD. Option 1: Hook everyone into a dopamine stimulator. Stimulate release of dopamine during irish lessons and when speaking irish. Option 2: Remove the eastern half of the country from the recorded statistics. Option 3: government sponsored irish propogation programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Pen Rua wrote: »
    I am just going to jump in to this, on page 36/37.
    You can make it so this thread is only 14 pages. Control Panel -> Edit Settings -> 40 posts per page.
    I know some of you will say "tl;dr" but I just thought I'd give my two cents, from the point of view of a secondary school student. It is just my opinion on Irish, a language I do not want to see die. I really hope by the time I leave school, I will be near fluency in Irish.
    I read all your post, so I didn't just skip it. I will point out though, whatever about fluency you acquire throughout school, you are going to end up barely ever using it outside the school environment. So, there'll be isolated people who could speak it if they had to, but never will have to. I don't see the victory, or the point in it to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Well; it's a long time since I did Irish ; but I've an interview in Irish for a ( good!) job next week; so down I went to the ( large & normally good) local library to get some cram-aid. What was there in theanguage section? Interesting DVDs, books, contemporary learning resources for everyanguage it seemed from Arabic to Zulu... And for Irish; about three jaded texts in black & White with Peig Sayers /Tailor & Anstey style phrases & language & a dictionary printed in 1959.
    I couldn't believe it.
    So long as we struggle with dreary language aids & out of touch & date materials, ptesentation & content the language will continue to struggle.
    +1 to whomever said the materials seem to have been written & chosen by jaded middle aged teachers.

Maybe if we did simething like the Read/Write initiative involving contemporary & varied writers in Irish with a big Focloir on the facing page we might get somewhere a lot quicker.

& for me; I learned all those useless maths equations & theorums; and about the inside of Ficcus & f-knows whatelse; that was little use to me in the " real " world either but funny these useless items don't inspire as much anger and hate as Irish seems to stimulate in others. Odd that.

Thought there were social rules about racism & intolerance. Or is that only for others/ immigrants & the same courtesy not extended to our own.

Naire thu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

You can get books from any library in ireland delivered to your local library, look into it.

Advertisement