Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to revive the Irish language.

Options
1545556575860»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Interest in History

Poll Dubh wrote: »
    I communicate full time with my children in Irish which includes play, homework, getting dressed, getting them to eat their dinner and chastising them. I never heard of raising children being called a hobby before.....

Hugo Hamilton wrote of his family experience with Irish in ""The Sailor in the Wardrobe" which might interest you

• Registered Users Posts: 33,022 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I agree with u, only feel that to learn something you have to be taught it or immersed in it . I would love to understand all Irish language, such things as gaa games I. Personally feel like an outsider not knowing what announcements are saying etc, my opinion though. Hope to take it up and join a few classes ,

You need to be taught to like it. If that fails, when you're dealing with kids, forget about it. Only after that can you go on to discussing ideas.

You want to do classes - why? Because you like it and no one is forcing you! (And best of luck with it, by the way.)
    Nice to see I'm nt the only one, from the north it's understandable I'm nt going to here it often, if at all, but think it needs to be preserved

Neither are we, don't worry. The last time I heard Irish being spoken, believe it or not, was in a queue for an ATM in Berlin.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

I don't believe the Irish language is dead, but realistically its not part of our everyday lives and should be removed from the school curricular system and replaced with a more beneficial subject like computing or another practical subject.

In modern Ireland it should be treated as a hobby, like a child would take piano lessons on a Saturay morning. The same principal should be applied. As in Saturday Irish school for those who want it.

Personally I see a lot of the people who 'practice' Irish or promote it are generally band-wagon jumping as it makes them look 'alternative', generally the arty/ new age hippy population. These same people also jump on the band-wagon against fracking in Leitrim and are the first at any government protest.

Its part of the whole hippy/arty package I suppose.

Advertisement