Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to revive the Irish language.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Alive, to me, would be when a decent percentage of conversations I hear would be in Irish. As it is, I go back to ireland fairly regualrly and hang out with mixed groups, but the last occasion I heart Irish spoken, oddly enough, was in a queue at an ATM here in Berlin. As I said, I'm not doubting the number who can, I'm doubting the number who choose to do so.

Maybe it is growing, maybe not. Their seems to be a lot more thusiasm out there, granted, but the people who are enthusiastic about it still seem to be speaking English.

So you think 1000s of languages are not alive then when to everyone else they are clearly alive. Ok, odd, but ok.

Maybe it is because you have been long but most people default to English (obviously) if there is only one person who does not speak Irish so you would not hear it lots around Dublin for example although I do now and again.
    I can't be a primary teacher in Ireland due to the Irish requirement.

I am sorry but if you can learn Viatnamese even while speaking it and being surround by it you can easily pass the Irish requirement here and could even become and Irish teacher if you really had a passion for it.

Look up the requirements. It is simples.
    LordSutch wrote: »
    I would love to know just what percentage of people choose the 'Gaeilge' option on Bank ATMs.

A lot, again when compared to those who actually can and do speak irish. Considering how Facebook, Google and Samsung phones can be in Irish when none of those companies had to implement that it was under demand for usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,153 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

So you think 1000s of languages are not alive then when to everyone else they are clearly alive. Ok, odd, but ok.

Maybe it is because you have been long but most people default to English (obviously) if there is only one person who does not speak Irish so you would not hear it lots around Dublin for example although I do now and again.

I would call that existance, not alive.

I am not trying to infer that the langauge is "dead" here - far from it - I am just saying that if you want it to progress (i.e., hear it more and more frequently) then how do you hope to achieve this aim? Is this even your aim? You seem to spend more time attacking my points than promoting your own.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    I would call that existance, not alive.

I am not trying to infer that the langauge is "dead" here - far from it - I am just saying that if you want it to progress (i.e., hear it more and more frequently) then how do you hope to achieve this aim? Is this even your aim? You seem to spend more time attacking my points than promoting your own.

Again you are ignoring the new radio stations and new websites in Irish (and other things)

They do not have to be made they are made for demand as are the increasing numbers of Gaeilscoileanna.

It is not my aim, no. I would like it to happen more and think it is happening currently but more is always better as I have said this is true of many things and not just usage of Irish.

I am not attacking your points. These points make no sense. You will find few who claim Irish is not dead but not alive. It makes little sense perhaps if you were here you would realize that.

You seem to have fallen into the trend of thinking I am part of some weekly "Irish language promotional" group that is as non existent as the PC brigade.

Again you are ignoring the new radio stations and new websites in Irish (and other things)

They do not have to be made they are made for demand as are the increasing numbers of Gaeilscoileanna.

It is not my aim, no. I would like it to happen more and think it is happening currently but more is always better as I have said this is true of many things and not just usage of Irish.

I am not attacking your points. These points make no sense. You will find few who claim Irish is not dead but not alive. It makes little sense perhaps if you were here you would realize that.

You seem to have fallen into the trend of thinking I am part of some weekly "Irish language promotional" group that is as non existent as the PC brigade.

Again, I never said it was dead.

And the point has been made reeatedly (and I agree with it) that just because the media is there, does NOT automatcially imply that the demand is there. it's a step in the right direction, yes, but if (notice - I said IF) it falls on deaf ears, it's not progess.

It sounds like a case of preaching to the choir: if the only people who use these services are already enthusiastic irish speakers, then it's bringing new Iirish speakers into the fold.

Increased Gaeilscoileanna is not preaching to the converted. They are going to be new speakers. All over the country too.

Samsung, Google and Facebook are all under no obligation to provide stuff in Irish. Demand is what made them do it.

I never said it was just for Irish speakers but come on use some sense all those things are hardly going to be use by monoglots now are they? Besides all the learners which is growing too if look in the two irish forums on this site and others for example.

There are new language groups happening every now and again around the country too and these are mostly for learners to meet and talk in irish. So again hardly the "choir".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

is there a word in the irish language...that means democracy........

it is never used ......

The majority support the Irish language and support the continued compulsion of Irish in school.

Sin daonlathas (that is democracy).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

The majority support the Irish language and support the continued compulsion of Irish in school.

And there we have it, no change, compulsion remains, the Irish language stays in limbo, and it remains the unspoken language of the people :cool:

This thread must be reaching the end of its natural life by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

Here's another reason to learn Irish, bilingualism slows onset of dementia by 4 years. http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/60646.php

Increased Gaeilscoileanna is not preaching to the converted. They are going to be new speakers. All over the country too.

Samsung, Google and Facebook are all under no obligation to provide stuff in Irish. Demand is what made them do it.

I never said it was just for Irish speakers but come on use some sense all those things are hardly going to be use by monoglots now are they? Besides all the learners which is growing too if look in the two irish forums on this site and others for example.

There are new language groups happening every now and again around the country too and these are mostly for learners to meet and talk in irish. So again hardly the "choir".

But who is USING Google in Irish? How many users does the Irish Facebook have? Where is demand coming from - those who want to learn Irish, or those who already can?

New language groups don't nessecarily mean new language users. There probably are a few, yes, but are enough adults STARTING Irish courses to advance the number of users in a meaningful way? If so, great. If not, how do you propose to encourage them? Thay's how you're going to revive/expand the lanaguge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Palytoxin wrote: »
    Here's another reason to learn Irish, bilingualism slows onset of dementia by 4 years. http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/60646.php

I am all for bilingualism, but I am also for choice. Imagine being given the choice of a language in secondary school. 'So Johnny you have a choice', you must do one other language in adition to English, so what will it be . . .

Irish, French, German or Spanish?

LordSutch wrote: »
    I am all for bilingualism, but I am also for choice. Imagine being given the choice of a language in secondary school. 'So Johnny you have a choice', you must do one other language in adition to English, so what will it be . . .

Irish, French, German or Spanish?
    I'm just saying that's an advantage, keeps your mind more active. :)
    I'm "pro-choice" about everything, but I'd also be for everyone minding their own business. It's up to someone themselves to make their own decisions, and it's none of my business if Joe Whoever down the road wants to learn Irish or not.

I'm just saying that's an advantage, keeps your mind more active. :)
    I'm "pro-choice" about everything, but I'd also be for everyone minding their own business. It's up to someone themselves to make their own decisions, and it's none of my business if Joe Whoever down the road wants to learn Irish or not.

So optional it is then! :D

I'd rather it was compulsory, and our first language!, but it's none of my business and not my place to tell others what to do, so do what you like!

I'd rather it was compulsory, and our first language!, but it's none of my business and not my place to tell others what to do, so do what you like!

Bit of a contrdacition there - compulsory is telling others to do it.

Technically, it IS our first langauge.

Ah you know what I mean, I'd have no problem with the government making it compulsory, I wouldn't protest against it, but I wouldn't make the decision myself to force people to do it. So I suppose I'm not pro-choice, just the pro-minding my own business! I think people should just decide for themselves, and if they didn't want to do it, their choice, so maybe I am pro-choice? It's hard to describe what I want!
    I think I am pro-choice, but I'd love to see the language get going, if you get me :pac:
    (I don't add much to arguments as you can see!)
    Technically it is, but the majority don't use it in their everyday lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

RADICAL LEGISLATION to restructure Gaeltacht areas and save the Irish language from extinction has been introduced in the Dáil after its controversial passage through the Seanad.
    Minister of State Dinny McGinley said the Gaeltacht Bill’s two main objectives were to establish a language planning process to support Irish and to amend the board and functions of Údarás na Gaeltachta, the local authority for Irish language-speaking areas. He pointed to stark census figures that “just 24 per cent of the Gaeltacht’s population or 23,175 people are using Irish on a daily basis”. The Minister said this showed the “vulnerable status of the Irish language” in those areas.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0713/1224319966780.html

Dont really speak it myself except for the odd cúpla focal, but it seems a shame that it risks becoming extinct, especially with all the millions that have been pumped into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

It will continue to exist, albeit on life support.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

the line "cuinis bothar cailin bainne" will go down in the history books.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Knee Ha. Thaw shay go han white er fad, knock a?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭lifelongnoob

Is the Irish language on the verge of Extinction?

not if people still keep creating more "Is the Irish language on the verge of Extinction?" type threads. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Irish will always exist as long as a small group of people make a handsome living from the state subsidies to keep it alive.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Most definitely not. While the English language becomes a 'world language', there will always be dedicated people keeping it alive.

I met a girl earlier this year who's done a lot of travelling, she was just back from Morocco. She's half Vietnamese, half Swedish, a very strange combination! She had come to Ireland to learn the Irish language. Fascinating really!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I hope it never dies out! I have a few words but I'd love to be fluent in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

It will continue to exist, albeit on life support.

"Life support" or not, there'll always be people speaking the language - whether it's an entire nation or a small village, it'll stay alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

not if people still keep creating more "Is the Irish language on the verge of Extinction?" type threads. :rolleyes:
    Merely commenting on new legislation which the minister claimed was necessary to avoid its extinction, didnt realise this thread had been done already bearing in mind said legislation was only passed yesterday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Most definitely not. While the English language becomes a 'world language', there will always be dedicated people keeping it alive.

I met a girl earlier this year who's done a lot of travelling, she was just back from Morocco. She's half Vietnamese, half Swedish, a very strange combination! She had come to Ireland to learn the Irish language. Fascinating really!

Yes yes, I'm sure people go an learn Cornish and Manx also for sh*ts and giggles and bog off back where they came from. Doesn't do anything for the language apart from a few bob for a small number of teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Jorah

I will save it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Pilotdude5

In my mock leaving cert Irish, I wrote a 4 page essay in English about why Irish should be an option subject. Didn't go down too well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Diapason

FatherLen wrote: »
    the line "cuinis bothar cailin bainne" will go down in the history books.

I was wedgied once by the guy who uttered that line in the ad.

How's that for a crap claim to fame?

Advertisement